Dr.D

Jason Taylor Resume

5 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

Not just in the AFL, it was the first time that anyone used the draft points and academy loophole in a trade. We did that first and it netted us Oliver and Weideman.

He appears to be an excellent and creative operator.

I was just about to post the same.

There was extensive media commentary post the 2015 trading period extolling Mahoney and co. for showing other clubs how to use the new rules to their advantage.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

Not just in the AFL, it was the first time that anyone used the draft points and academy loophole in a trade. We did that first and it netted us Oliver and Weideman.

He appears to be an excellent and creative operator.

Not sure about that. I think the Saints did a deal with Essendon and Sydney before we did our deal with GWS. They got pick 14 from Sydney for the price of a couple of picks in the 20's that netted the Swans a lot of points.

Moving from pick 10 to pick 7 might've been a late move based on seeing other clubs do it. Still glad we did it and credit to the club for being in the right position and nimble but I'm not sure we invented it.

Hawthorn, West Coast and Collingwood all did pick for pick trades towards the end of the trade period with GWS or Sydney to achieve the same thing.

The bolder move was trading the future first and getting up to pick 3.

This was an AFL.com.au rating of our 2015 draft:

Melbourne

Nathan Schmook's verdict: Brilliant. The Demons used the incoming points system to perfection to gain picks No.3 and No.7 in this year's draft. They read the play quicker than other clubs, working well with GWS to secure pick No.7 and Bugg.

Rating A+

• Like 5

I think what a lot are overlooking is the actual role of the GM Footy Ops.  He is responsible for all footy.  List management, coaching, tech people, medical staff admin staff, property staff, the footy side of the Casey alignment and so on.  Like Peter Jackson, he relies on the skills those he employs to produce the results.  One of his major skills seems to be identifying the right people who can do the job.

I think he's done a fantastic job. He's united a divided FD, he has overseen the culture we now have, our relationship with the players, their families and other clubs seems excellent. I don't know how much input he's had directly into the Oliver situation but he's responsible for employing those that did. He hasn't put a foot wrong.

Well done Josh.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

I like Mahoney overall, he has a firm, steady hand and has done a good job of bringing all of our football people together.

That said, some of his list management work has been very ordinary. How can you let it get to a point where you have nine empty spots on the list with one day remaining in the trade period and no early draft picks to top up with?

I've said for two years we haven't turned over the list enough - now we've done three years of pruning in one hit and we'll be running deep into the rookie draft looking for replacements.

10 minutes ago, poita said:

I like Mahoney overall, he has a firm, steady hand and has done a good job of bringing all of our football people together.

That said, some of his list management work has been very ordinary. How can you let it get to a point where you have nine empty spots on the list with one day remaining in the trade period and no early draft picks to top up with?

I've said for two years we haven't turned over the list enough - now we've done three years of pruning in one hit and we'll be running deep into the rookie draft looking for replacements.

you don't think he has plans? patience required, no need to go the crow yet

If he gets May and Kolodjashnij over the line then he's done his job, we will get over Hogan.

So we got what we wanted, and upgraded a pick so we now have 2 reasonable second rounders.  Seems to be a successful trading period, only losing Hogan and Kent, both who wanted out, plus our delisted and retiring players.  Listening to him speak it sounds like it all went to plan, thank you very much.

Intersting to see if there are any late ‘hail mary’s’ to liven up the telecast.  Otherwise I think our queue is firmly in the rack.

I rate it a successful trade period, given what we were starting with.  

On a separate note, Peter Bell is a flat out liar and cannot be trusted.  

Got the job done with a minimum of fuss. Not only who we've brought in, but getting back into the second round twice is a real plus.

we all couldve traded for pick 6 and 23 so im not sure you have to be a genius to get that trade done. hell, i reckon i couldve got pick 6 and 19 through negotiations

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dr.D said:

we all couldve traded for pick 6 and 23 so im not sure you have to be a genius to get that trade done. hell, i reckon i couldve got pick 6 and 19 through negotiations

Of course you could have you keep telling us how smart you are.

• Like 1

Says Hogan deal will be one of  the highest value trades ever, demands 2xfirsts then ends up getting reamed by Freo.

On 10/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, buck_nekkid said:

How are you seeing Josh’s performance and results?

so far I am impressed with the things he says, and what we have done so far.  I suppose the real assessment will come with the Hogan/May possibilities.  after hearing him speak today I think we are in good hands...

Well, I'm happy with the players we've got.

Josh your a bit generous. Or is that gills work.

My take is this: Mahoney and Co felt this was the year Jesse leaves so they looked at addressing the needs of the list. They identified areas we needed to improve, KPD and outside run. He sought to and successfully acquired May and KK. On that score I give him a very solid tick. 

Trade out Hogan was difficult and messy, Freo played hardball and IMO won. On balance I think we should’ve got another sweetener, a late second rounder/early third rounder. But the way Mahoney traded to get pick 28 tells me they have a plan. 

Its a solid B+ grade for me, Hogan’s unders has soured it a bit but May might well bring us closer to a flag. Time will tell. 

He done his job got us Preuss, May and Kolodjashnij and gained picks 23 and 28. That's an A in my book. If we got a first rounder that would have been an A+

• Like 1

we got shafted ; simple as that . i agree with Dr D that you would not have to complete a Negotiation 101 Course to get 6 and 23 .We wanted 6 and 5 .What a joke .Overs for Lever unders for Hogan ,what a result .Nice guys come last and that is where we will end up with these children handling negotiations. Im absolutely gutted .

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kallangurdemon said:

we got shafted ; simple as that . i agree with Dr D that you would not have to complete a Negotiation 101 Course to get 6 and 23 .We wanted 6 and 5 .What a joke .Overs for Lever unders for Hogan ,what a result .Nice guys come last and that is where we will end up with these children handling negotiations. Im absolutely gutted .

We were never going to get 5 and 6, that was a pipe dream. If we got pick 11 or even 19 instead of 23  i would give a big tick; but we didn't get shafted.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, kallangurdemon said:

So your a tough boy are you?

• Like 2

He listens to advice. It’s not just him. He backs those around him. We all wanted to get more for hogan. On reflection we won the lever trade. It seemed like lots but it was less than we thought. We also finished above crows. That’s a win. The trade up Oliver pick, win. The watts trade win.

i reckon may alone will improve our structure in defence a lot. Gives lever the third man up role. That could win us a flag. Kk for nothing. That’s a win. 

We probably lost the hogan trade but we won the rest. But in 12 months or 24 months he would have walked. What else could he do? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, kallangurdemon said:

We wanted may. We needed enough to get may and we got kk thrown in. Say we get a spargo with pick 23. We got may, kk and spargo for one very good player. Overall not just what we got for hogan 

Time will be the proof if we got this one right, I felt we over paid for Melksham and Hibberd and let Watts go cheap at the time of those trades and am happy to say I have been proven wrong. I can only hope I feel the same about this in a year or 2.

I would have liked to see us be involved in a few of these speculative trades like hawks have been with Scully or North with Hall

• Like 2

Did well, I don’t think we were in a strong position in either deal. 

But our list management team made the right call on sending Hogan (and Tyson) and bringing in May.

Keeping Vanders, adding Preuss at a good value, adding KK. 

More than anything I think we have to cash in on free agency at some stage. We’ve kept momentum and the list improving, that’s important 

• Like 4

Kane Cornes said on trade radio that after picking up May and KK we have the most balance list in the AFL.

They all gave glowing endorsements on our trade period.

• Like 2