• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Saturday Talking Point: Game Day 27/2/16

Whispering_Jack

When interviewed earlier in the week Roos said that in our situation as a club we would be fielding a strong side every week of the NAB challenge and using the amount of interchanges available to manage the time our players spend on field.  We have many new players (including players that had limited game time due to injury) so it is important that they get to play together as much as possible.  Reading a lot of the posts and the rather strident opinions about our positives & mostly our negatives (mainly defensively ) I am rather bemused that after one practice game such definitive statements are already being made about players etc.  I thought it was great to watch a Practice match....fantastic seeing some attributes from our new players & established players & cant  wait till next week to see some different players take the field in the red & the blue.  Then when the season proper is a few weeks old ......we will maybe have a better idea of how we are going ? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

Jetta got a bit of it but isn't damaging

You have to be kidding!  If it wasn't for Jetta's first half, we may have been a LOT further down at half time... I consider his effort in that first half to be one of the contributors to us being in a position to win the game; ergo, I was rather surprised that no-one seemed to be listing him in their top players.

Also, I was another who only just read this thread from start to finish having watched a recording of the game courtesy of the fact I was at band rehearsal all afternoon.  Conclusion: there are some seriously bi-polar contributors on Demonland.

Edited by hardtack
just felt like it
  • Like 8

Finished the replay my take on our players:

Brayshaw: Poor bloke, hopefully not serious.

Hogan: Delivery was a bit sloppy at times but showed that he is set for a big year. Looks noticeably bigger.

Salem: Just silky and classy with ball. While he is one of our best ball users off half back I would love for him to push up onto a wing. Set for a massive 2016 if he stays fit.

Watts: One of the best games I have ever seen him play. For the first time I saw Watts chase with urge and intent. I thought at times when we looked panicky he slowed the game down with his poise and calmness. His intensity and intent to go in hard was definitely a big step forward for him I believe. Keeps this up and we'll see a break out year from Watts.

Viney: Glimpse into the future of what a typical captain game.. Nathan Jones will be licking his lips that he has finally someone else to shoulder the midfield load. Played on Wines at times and he completely pulled his pants down. Giddy up!

Gawn: If he plays like he did today every week you can almost pencil him in as All Australian and a huge Smokey for the Brownlow.. His taps to advantage were first class and he was the big reason why we were winning clearances after clearances. Not only that but his follow up work and ability to almost play as an extra midfield will hold us in good stead.

Tyson: My biggest worry with Tyson is that he hasn't obviously worked on a major weakness of his which is trying to take the tackler on and not giving first option. He got pinned not once but 4 times simply by trying to take the tackler on and not dishing off to a teammate on the outside. He holds onto the ball way too long then gets spun around in a tackle constantly. Bit rusty today also. Was disappointed with his game today.

Oliver: His hands in close is elite and awareness around the stoppages. Loved how Goody threw him into the middle to gain some valuable experience. Great first half and loved his brutal tackle on Young. I see no reason why he can't play round 1. He is ready for the big time and he did not once look out of place. I hope he plays against the doggies next week. Great debut.

Dunn: Played his role and that's all we ask for.

Stretch: Played limited game time and looked a bit rushed but he provides run and spread. Another who will continue to step up and develop. The Grimes on the wing experiment didn't work for me so I think there is a spot up for grabs there for him.

Kent: I have no doubt him and Vandenberg before the game went off side and popped a couple of angry pills. He played with such high intensity and aggression in almost like he wanted to prove a point. His game today showed why we missed him so badly last year. I just pray to God he has a fully fit year. When he tackles he just wants to hurt blokes. The Kent Garlett Kennedy threesome was on show today.

Frost: Forget about him being a forward this year he just looks lost at sea. We recruited him as a backman so lets just play him there. Not in my round 1 team.

Garland: Frustrated me today with the typical Garland errors.. Heart and soul player but his constant errors just hurts us too much.

Pedersen: The perfect forward/ruckman who can give Gawn a chop out and still kick your 2 goals up forward. I thought he rucked really well and was quite surprised that he was jumping all over Lobbe. Took some good contested marks today and now will hopefully start to build some consistency.

Tom McDonald: Just your typical McDonald game with the occasional poor errors that he provides every game.

OMAC: Would have learn't a lot from playing on Schultz. Looked panicky and nervous and made a few errors. Will continue to develop at Casey this year. Personally id rather they persist with him up forward then Frost. At least Omac has shown in his junior days that he can become a good forward option.

Hunt: Didn't notice him much but when I did he did some nice things. Needs to work on his kicking but also learn to really use his speed on the outside that we lack. Something to work with here.

Grimes: Unfortunately the wing experiment just didn't work for me. Coughed up the ball and a couple of these went out on the full. Id still give him time over the Nab challenge to get use to this role.

Bugg: He started off slow but when he went into the centre in the 2nd half I thought he showed genuine aggression and hardness at the ball. Does not take a backward step and he won some crucial clearances for us also. He will be a great pick up for us this year. A solid competitor who has a see ball get ball attitude.

Kennedy: Played forward all in the 1st half and was quite. Then played as an on baller in the 2nd half and really got us going with his speed and outside spread. He keeps his feet and they struggled to tackle the little nugget. Loved his game and can see why we rated him highly back in the Toumpas draft. Will get better each game once he knows his new teammates and game plan.

Garlett: His forward pressure was Aaron Davey like in his younger days. Was absolutely immense with the pressure he provided along with Kent. I still laugh at how cheap we picked him up. Absolute gun!

Vandenberg: This guy can seriously play! Id loved to know his height because he didn't look much shorter then Hogan. The way he ragdoll blokes out of the way to get the ball is just a tad exciting. Played half forward/on baller and just dominated with his contested work and marking. A battering ram who played with aggression and that banana kick for goal on the boundary was magic.

Jetta: Just your normal Jetta game. Nothing fancy just gets the job done. Just love the way he goes about it.

Harmes: Impressed me a lot. Broke tackles and always tried to get the ball moving forward. Just another competitor who plays with an aggressive style that suits our game style. Kicked a ripper goal in the 3rd. Don't be surprised if he is playing round 1.

Jones: The big surprise packet for me. Played wing and provided dash and in all honestly I didn't see him waste a disposal at all? When port counter attacked from our half forward I saw him sprint his guts out to help the defenders out. I have no doubt this will get pointed out in the reviews. Well done to him and if he gets pick for round 1 its because he deserves it. Id rather him on the wing instead of Grimes.

Wagner: limited game time but did some class things and showed his clean disposal. Hopefully he starts next weekend.

• Like 21

29 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

When interviewed earlier in the week Roos said that in our situation as a club we would be fielding a strong side every week of the NAB challenge and using the amount of interchanges available to manage the time our players spend on field.  We have many new players (including players that had limited game time due to injury) so it is important that they get to play together as much as possible.  Reading a lot of the posts and the rather strident opinions about our positives & mostly our negatives (mainly defensively ) I am rather bemused that after one practice game such definitive statements are already being made about players etc.  I thought it was great to watch a Practice match....fantastic seeing some attributes from our new players & established players & cant  wait till next week to see some different players take the field in the red & the blue.  Then when the season proper is a few weeks old ......we will maybe have a better idea of how we are going ? 

I agree with your comments but it'd be a pretty short thread if we practiced what you're preaching...

Gawn was outstanding today and dramatically demonstrated how important he is going to be for us in the next ten years or so. Very very few can match him in the air, either in the ruck or round the ground and his disposal is not too shabby either. 

One of the interesting issues for me is how are we giong to play him when we have to conform to the 90 interchanges per game (which incidentally Port were adhering to - we had I think 135). I suspect Max will be seen much more resting down forward which begs the question how is that going to work? Pedo presumably rucking round the ground? Or maybe Frost? It certainly adds to our marking strength in the FF line. Max taking screamers in the square sounds great to me....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Dunn: Played his role and that's all we ask for.

I don't think you expect enough from Dunn.
One of our most senior players missed tackles and just played like he didn't want to get hurt.
Like usual.
Sorry, but I want more.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

Well im in sydney for the week do obvoudly it hasnt got a lot of coverage. But I happened to catch sky news and the first thing they mentioned was Brayshaws injury, but from reading reports it doesnt seem to bad. I have watched the highlights off the AFL website. Firstly I know its just a practice match but gee its good to have a win and at least the mood will be good at the family day tomorrow.

Just by seeing the highlights can I just say how good it will be to have vandenberg back for the season. Another strong big body will help. That checkside goal he kicked was a   beauty.

The defensive pressure looked good and nice to see Maxy play well. Viney obvously played his usual way and nice to see Pederson back.

I only saw the first few minutes on my tablet during a break at work.  It looked like a classic Melbourne pre-season game, with injuries, dirty play by the opposition not being called and us unable to score.  How the hell did we turn that around?  I look forward to watching the replay once it's up on the AFL site. 

Toughness and ball movement a big improvement. Damn good effort for first hit out!

Our decision making is still a big worry, for example T Mac.  Cannot fault his endeavour, however by now he should be showing more maturity and poise under pressure.  He seems to have all the tools, size, speed etc, but brain into gear gene needs work.

2 minutes ago, Soidee said:

Toughness and ball movement a big improvement. Damn good effort for first hit out!

Our decision making is still a big worry, for example T Mac.  Cannot fault his endeavour, however by now he should be showing more maturity and poise under pressure.  He seems to have all the tools, size, speed etc, but brain into gear gene needs work.

The more I watch TMac the more I think he might be a better replacement for Dawes at CHF. Its heart in mouth stuff most of the time he gets it in the back half.

14 minutes ago, Soidee said:

I don't know if we're ever going to see him execute the 'poise under pressure' attribute you speak of.

He can be frustrating to watch but his one-on-one stuff is still pretty good. 

As you mentioned, endeavour cannot be faulted.

16 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

The more I watch TMac the more I think he might be a better replacement for Dawes at CHF. Its heart in mouth stuff most of the time he gets it in the back half.

I reckon we should send Frost to the backline. Put TMac forward. Thoughts?

• Like 1

Great win. Was very impressed that we didn't let port come back. 

Thought harmes was good. Gave high hope for that kid

kennedy surprised me in a good way

viney had 28 and 16 contested in a short game. Equivalent of a 40 touch game

kent, van denburg, Salem Oliver etc make me excited!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moneider96 said:

I reckon we should send Frost to the backline. Put TMac forward. Thoughts?

makes sense to try it out, i see TMac becoming a swing man that can play fwd or back. Like others here, Frost frightens me in the forward line, what's the point when he can't kick set shots. 

51 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

makes sense to try it out, i see TMac becoming a swing man that can play fwd or back. Like others here, Frost frightens me in the forward line, what's the point when he can't kick set shots. 

The little bit I watched featured something I hope not to see again.  Watts took a good grab on the 50.  Rather than take the shot, he passed to frost in the pocket. It was a perfect pass, but Frost from 30m at an angle is far less likely to score than Watts from 50m.  In this case the team thing would have been to take the shot himself. 

• Like 1

daz, bang on with those assessments.

Watts still has a way to go to reach his full potential. There was an aerial contest he backed out of which almost, or at least should of, resulted in a Port goal. And as silky as he can be with his disposal, he remains prone to dumb errors ala the looping kick at the end which resulted in Port getting a cheap goal they did not deserve. That one stood out but there were others.

He's getting there though. Slowly. The aggression today was an improvement on what we've become used to.

Edited by P-man

Things I noticed: Watts played really well. Viney looks an elite midfielder. Gawn dominates. Oliver looks likely (and looks quite tall, has a great build, real goer). Kent can sell candy with the best of them. Jetta looks polished, looked classy. Salem - see Jetta. Hogan looks massive, 100kg plus, beast, will be hard to stop, even dominates the ruck (in forward line) when he wants. Kennedy was typical Kennedy, exceptional. Good game all round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Matt Jones can play. At AFL standard.

I rate him.

I've been a critic of M Jones, he had a good game yesterday, like he did in Geelong last year.

when he manages to do this consistently then I'll admit I was wrong (like I was with Jetta) but until then... I won't say hi ?

What at a win tho, no Jones, Vince and Brayshaw, i.e. three of our best mids.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bing181 said:

Not that much. The damage was done by 3/4 time, it's the last quarter that you'd expect to see a difference. In any case, there was an 8 man bench, so situation was unique in itself, and with that amount of resting going on, not sure Port were all that disadvantaged.

8 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

They showed the stat during the game.

Did they show the rotation stats at half time? I was standing behind the interchange until the break and it was noticeable how much we were burning through them. Constant six on six off. And it was hot out there. You might expect to see the result in the legs in the later stages but a split second of extra freshness at the clearances can make an immediate difference, especially then if the opposition is all of a sudden constantly chasing and under energetic pressure. Back that up with being first to the ball and Port tiring in their tackling technique and we were getting the rub from the umpires like I've never seen before. Taking nothing away from the boys, that's the nature of the game, and hopefully indicative of our more positive intent.  

6 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Matt Jones can play. At AFL standard.

I rate him.

Despite Demonland posturing, it should be beyond question that Matt Jones can occasionally eek out a good game at AFL level. That's why he's been on a list for 5 years (or however long it's been - can't be bothered fact checking). If I remember rightly he was excellent in the Geelong win last year. 

It's just a question of if he can do it often enough to keep his place in the side. His worst is woefully inadequate, but if he can play "best" more often than "worst" then I agree that there might be some life there yet. I don't think it will happen - I forecast a year of few games and an end of season delisting, but I'm keeping an open mind and will reassess as the facts present themselves over the season. 

• Like 2