Matt Kruezer

DeeZee

I'm not sold on him as I think he'd need to play the Forward/Ruck role as Gawn (the league's rucking up-and-comer) can't play forward IMHO. One indirect benefit of having Kreuzer however is that, though his price may give Carlton the number two pick, it'll soften the blow of us having to slide down the draft order one place.

Those saying it'd cost us nothing in picks are wrong as it'd essentially be: Kreuzer for a one pick downgrade.

sub rule gone, so you will see the two rucks or a ruck/fwd and ruck play every game. Kreuzer perfect foil for Gawn (who is still learning). Krezuer won't cost much and if he can stay fit is better than Spencer, King, Fitzpatrick (and more likely to kick goals)

• Like 1

Gawn predominantly forward is a hard sell for me - he would be a decoy option and he would have to play deep and that pushes Hogan up the ground and...

Nup.

Gawn number 1 ruck - go and find a forward who can ruck a bit.

Josh Walker

• Like 1

Kruezer would be looking to latch on to a top 6 club. If I were him I would be trying to get to the doggies where he would fit in nicely.

Gawn is our guy. Anyone else we get to help him needs to be a capable forward. I don't think that's Kruez.

A definite yes.

Dawes has shown that he can't play the Leigh Brown ruck/forward role when he was at Collingwood. Spencil is a ruckman first and foremost and hasn't got the body type to be a forward. I nearly fell over when I saw Dunny in the ruck on Sunday (it was the second most surprising rucking decision I have seen since Sylvia played the role for the final two centre hit outs against Port). Pedo also is too short for it as well (though I think his body type holds up better than Dunn's).

Kreuzer can play forward and ruck. If his body holds up then we have a one two combo with him and Jesse that is as good as any in the league.

this is what we need, a big guy who can play the pocket role, like the Ox mk11 did, bollocking body work at the boundary throw ins & palm the ball into our players path to goal.

& take a run on the ball each Qtr, to give the No1 ruck a spell.

Nothing pick wise. But probably around 500k a year. I could see us going to 550k if we had to, and didn't have anyone else lined up. That is overs, so it really is hard to say with Kreuzer, but speculation has him going at 500k, so realistically it would take another 50k to get him to MFC.

$M1.1 over 2 years, that would be OK, adjust after those years according to output?

a free agent is ideal for us imo.

It could be an awkward fit with Gawn - both are definitely rucks first. Then again, to reduce rotations maybe we'll end up actually having a true 'resting' ruckman right up in the goalsquare, demanding an opponent and giving the long bomb option with Garlett at his feet. 50% total game time rucking isn't far short of what a first ruck does at the moment anyway.

My obsession lately is with making our list and play style more 'dangerous', forcing opponents to be accountable and giving ourselves more belief we can turn a game around. Lifting the mentality of being under siege. Kruezer, fit, is definitely dangerous. Can take a contested mark, too.

It'll be an interesting medical report, no doubt. If he is given the all-clear I'd be thrilled to have him on our list.

I'm not sold on him as I think he'd need to play the Forward/Ruck role as Gawn (the league's rucking up-and-comer) can't play forward IMHO. One indirect benefit of having Kreuzer however is that, though his price may give Carlton the number two pick, it'll soften the blow of us having to slide down the draft order one place.

Those saying it'd cost us nothing in picks are wrong as it'd essentially be: Kreuzer for a one pick downgrade.

Depends. If we don't take him, but another club do. (Which is more likely than not) We will still slip down one spot.

Carlton may not get a Band 1 comp pick for Kreuzer: Mark Evans told 3AW on Tuesday evening that the Blues, who have the first pick in the draft, might miss out on pick two as compensation if Kreuzer went elsewhere on a deal similar to that signed by Melbourne's James Frawley last year...Evans said the formula used to calculate the worth of players was complex.

While its good to see that Band 1 picks won't be handed out gratuitously this position is probably driven by the need for Brisbane to have access to pick 2 and get a potential gun.

I wonder how the AFL 'value' that in their 'complex formula'...

...Got it! AFL definition of 'complex formula': 'secret and vaguely worded statement that allows us to do whatever we please and not have to explain it to anyone!!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

If we were to go after a 'free' FA, I would prefer it be Suckling from the Hawks.

Apparently, he was prepared to go to Lions for $400k pa for 4 years.

Could play a Howe/Watts role if they both leave.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

No room for him with Gawn around

Port experimented with two ruckmen this year (Lobbe and Ryder). Look how that worked out

You need ruck stocks. Kreuzer can double as a forward because he has the capacity to kick goals. I'd even try him down back.

I would think that if we got him, that would be the end of Spencer. If Gawn goes down, we don't have a backup. For a decade we have relied on a single ruckman and that also doesn't work. You need a good balance.

It could also be at Port that Ryder is an egotistical ass.

The back up ruck to Gawn has to be someone who can play in Hogan's Forwardline.

I don't think we want a big lump in the square because I would prefer to have Hogan deep - watching Gawn spoil Hogan constantly against Carlton made me cringe about what a lumbering back up ruckman might be to that forward line.

We would need someone who is mobile and can spend most of his time on 50 or outside and then can give Gawn a breather for 5 mins a quarter.

I don't see Kreuzer as that. There are very few players that are that. Mitch Clark (lol) was that.

Kreuzer is good around the ground because he plays as a ruckman against a ruckman, as a CHF, I would play a smaller, mobile CHB on him and beat him on the ground and run off him.

Convince me I am wrong though...

• Like 3

You need ruck stocks. Kreuzer can double as a forward because he has the capacity to kick goals. I'd even try him down back.

I would think that if we got him, that would be the end of Spencer. If Gawn goes down, we don't have a backup. For a decade we have relied on a single ruckman and that also doesn't work. You need a good balance.

It could also be at Port that Ryder is an egotistical ass.

Everyone has the capacity to kick goals, its capability we need.

Dawes has tons of capacity... no capability.