binman’s rant (Goody defence)

15 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I don’t want to gloat, actually I lie, I do want to gloat- I managed to watch all three of our finals live in 21 and legally!  Trust me, it’s up there with getting married, having kids, etc. More good luck than planning, just managed to be travelling and in the right states at the right time.

The two finals in WA were extra special, smashing Geelong and then the big one.The atmosphere (particularly in WA) was phenomenal.  Pretty much the majority of the state adopted Melbourne as ‘their team’. The party atmosphere, the noise was incredible. 
The average fan on social media are just jealous losers.  
Still hoping to see us snag the big one at the G in the not too distant future….with Goody at the helm.   No guarantee of course, but am more hopeful than I have been for over half a century prior. It’s nice to live in hope. GO DEES 

Roger Wodja

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

He's been a very solid coach of the Melbourne Football Club. That is not up for debate.

I've been impressed with how he adapted to injuries in the second half of 2023 (Fritta, Petty, Melk) and how he's dug our club out of an absolute mid season hole this year. The way the under 23's are currently performing is an absolute credit and endorsement to Goody and his development staff.

To call him an MFC legend is, however, up for debate in my opinion. As it is for Bevo and the Dogs who are both comparable coaches IMO in terms of the ultimate success and quantity of finals wins.

Bevo dropped immediately after the premiership and the dogs have been very up and down since. Goodwin has had top 4 finishes and we've been much more consistent. I think he's better than Bevo. 

• Like 1

I thought it was epically brilliant & on-point — I wish it’d been a callback on SEN so they’d capsule it and Binman would win caller of the year!

After being smashed about alongside ANYONE else whom was remotely positive about the club following Freo/Pies games — and not coming back to rub ppl’s nose in it cus it defeats the purpose, I thought it was the PERFECT ramble to encapsulate the essence of the entire issue.

Imagine we had Trac right now? We’d be a top 4 lock & ready to be PRIMED for finals run. Which is what Binman and a select few more have been saying the entire time, only to be ridiculed and dismissed as being loons..  unfortunately the DL masses are preconditioned to be MFCSS-like Debbie downers and the footy data just didn’t align, or the messaging of the club all year long — It’s clear since R1 what plan was and it’s been absolutely brilliantly executed in terms of what is controlled versus what cannot possibly be. We’re in GREAT hands, and anyone who says otherwise has one of: - a certified footy IQ issue - A sheep mentality issue - Or as in most cases, an issue with not wanting to be hurt, like they have been so often previously and build a wall of negativity as a veil. 

@binman — you know, I know, what the synopsis is & why the forest-for-the-trees viewpoint or perspective is an overtly positive one. Well done on a diatribe that was backed up by data, and for doing it with class amigo 🙌🙌🙌

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Clap 1

And to anyone whom HAS said “I was wrong” in their fear-laden premature resignation, kudos to you! 

For the Andy’s of the world whereby it is purely out of what he defines as ‘MFCSS’ — Fear not, we’re not only in good shape, we’ve this year & last, built an extra 3-4yrs on our window in the youth we are now seeing come through, even with Mac Andrew robbed form us in the process.. JT, Selwyn, Goody, and a slightly extent Pert, are as good as it goods! Our kids — recently described by George as being insufficient — are ‘ALRIGHT’ and then some.. with Jeffo, Verrell, Adams & co to still come! 

Not to mention, with a pre-season, we have Wheelo Ratings best player (2022)& second best rated player (2021) & 5th best rated player (2023 despite inj) to return in all his glory - hallelujah - in 2025 or who knows maybe even late 2024 in Clarrie 🔥🔥🔥 OH.. and the 6th best (2021,2022) & 4th best (2023) in Trac to return next year.. just sayin 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Tolstoys Nudge
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

Anyone among the acolytes disagree that he's has the best defence, best midfield & best ruck going round between 2018 & 2023.

Anyone else find it highly comical when @binman reads out @Binmans PA post in third person on the pod 🤣 😂😂

• Love 1
  • Haha 7

On 17/07/2024 at 17:01, Cranky Franky said:

Anyone among the acolytes disagree that he's has the best defence, best midfield & best ruck going round between 2018 & 2023.

You seem to be implying that Mark Neeld would have coached this team to a premiership.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, He de mon said:

You seem to be implying that Mark Neeld would have coached this team to a premiership.

That’s definitely a stretch

9 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Who is the young lad that assists Goody on the bench with stats? I want his job. 

When I get Reece Conca’s job I’ll put in a good word for you 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

When I get Reece Conca’s job I’ll put in a good word for you 😁

My CV is as follows.

Born : Melbourne FC hospital

Education: MCG University

Majors: Statistics, Analytics and graduated with honours in Armchair expertise

Work Experience: Bay 13, Champion Data 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, RedBlueandTrue said:

As others have said, I think frustration stems from a belief that after 2021 we had a dynasty list and that it was now "our turn" to win at least 3 premierships. 2022 we were very good but were cooked by finals after backing up the prem with a 2nd place regular season finish (other teams since have shown hoe hard it is to back up after a flag). Goody, coaching group and high performance group learn from this but you still wonder what happens if Trac doesnt get a crack in his leg. 2023 we were almost primed primed but ultimately our forwardline was decimated. Still, Goody's plan got us the opportunity to win both finals but the players couldn't deliver in front of goal. 

I think we had and have a very good list, but I also think the gamestyle in 2021 really got the most out of everyone and despite a dominant finals series on paper, it was still a bloody hard flag to win and we needed a lot to go our way. I will never be angry that it was in Perth and we couldn't be there. It was a very dark year for so many reasons and I'm forever grateful to Goody and the team for delivering so many moments of blissful happiness. Spent all of that Sunday walking around Melbourne with my dad decked out in our gear, talking about the incredible feat we had witnessed. Never been more proud as a dees fan.

While 22 and 23 were ultimately very disappointing due to our expectations (23 particularly devastating given Gus and the fact that i really believe we were the strongest side in it), I don't think our list was ever miles ahead of the pack. I myself and I suspect other dees fans too chronically underrate geelong. Brisbane's side is and has been very very good. Sydney and GWS have had incredible teams on paper over the last 4/5 years but have not been able to deliver a flag. Carlton?? They have had one year like our 2018 year despite being in a similar place developmentally to where we are now! With supposedly 2 of the greatest full forwards of their generation and guns all over the park. Even the bulldogs who I believe have the best player in the AFL along with fantastic forwards and a gun midfield haven't haven't been able to take advantage of their talent and land a top 4 spot. Collingwood were clearly fantastic at winning footy games last year. They found a winning formula to maximise their talent like we did in 2021 and it worked.

Sorry for the rant, I just really think that there was an internalised feeling among dees fans that we were 'owed' a dynasty, when the reality for me is that since Richmond's 2019 win, the best teams have all been very similar in talent levels and I am forever thankful that we at least got one is such a tough era of footy. Plus whatever is to come! I don't think we are done yet. 

Goody forever a Dees legend for mine.

The timing was definitely a factor.

We won ours just after Richmond had won 3 of the last 4, which came just after Hawthorn won 3 in a row, which came just after Geelong won 3 out of 5.

However, three years on and there's a fair chance we will be the only one of the last four premiers to have even made the finals the year after the flag (Richmond missed in 2021, Geelong missed in 2023, Collingwood may miss in 2024).

• Like 6
  • Clap 2

On 17/07/2024 at 22:09, Jaded No More said:

Hell I don’t see Swans fans complaining because Longmire has lost four grand finals. 

Don't bet on it...a mate of mine (mad Swan's supporter), hates him with a passion.

• Shocked 1

13 hours ago, Jumping Jack Clennett said:

Where is Dennis Jones mentioned here?  He coached us to a Spoon in '78.

I reckon if a coach is below Neeld on the records list we should probably forget about them!

I’m late to the party with this one. Only just got around to listening to the pod today. Well done @binman awesome solo pod and couldn’t agree more re Goody legend status. 

2020 premiers Richmond - missed finals 2021

2022 premiers Geelong - missed finals 2023

2023 premiers Collingwood - likely to miss finals 2024

2021 premiers Melbourne - finished 2nd 2022

Give the man some credit 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

Imagine going on a rant and trying to make a point against people that have a different opinion to you... after beating Essendon lol

• Like 2
  • Clap 3
  • Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, praha said:

Imagine going on a rant and trying to make a point against people that have a different opinion to you... after beating Essendon lol

Imagine having the lack of courage to hold your response till now. Speaks more about you.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Imagine having the lack of courage to hold your response till now. Speaks more about you.

I couldn't be bothered. I am not normally one to personally go on a rant against people for disagreeing with me. And frequently wear it when I'm wrong. My point is that going on the rant he did after beating Essendon was going way too early. Today is proof. For the record I'm not calling for Goodwin to go but people pretending like he hasn't already spent some of the credits he got after 2021. Some don't realise how many credits he burnt on September 15 2023.

• Like 4
  • Vomit 1

1 minute ago, praha said:

I couldn't be bothered. I am not normally one to personally go on a rant against people for disagreeing with me. And frequently wear it when I'm wrong. My point is that going on the rant he did after beating Essendon was going way too early. Today is proof. For the record I'm not calling for Goodwin to go but people pretending like he hasn't already spent some of the credits he got after 2021. Some don't realise how many credits he burnt on September 15 2023.

IMO,He spent his credit last year with back to back straight sets.

He'll gain some credits when and if we win a final.

• Clap 1