Trac’s 2024 Season Over

It's an interesting side note that earlier this season one of the young East African players (I've forgotten the name) was copping all kinds of [censored] comments about how he 'didn't understand the game' and would get someone injured with his totally unacceptable habit of having the knee out directly into the backs of opponents as he went up for spoils and marks.

I present to the jury, son of two-time Brownlow medallist, co-captain of Carey Grammar, premiership captain of the Oakleigh under-18s, 2-time all-Australian centre-half-back, Collingwood Captain and all-round 'good bloke' with 163 games' expertience, Darcy Moore.

Guess it wasn't a Sudan problem.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 2
  • Sad 1

I have no doubt Trac would have wanted to help the boys out when he came back on, but given the injuries, what we could see, and what they would have seen, I just don't know how the club let him back on. It's these sorts of decisions, in a season now with a few strange decisions, that impact the respect talked about by the club, and faith. 

Not impressed, and sad for Tracc. Given where we are at and how we are playing, hard to truly state how big a loss he will be for however long he will be gone, particularly given we need to come out from the bye firing (although as I have mentioned elsewhere, if we didn't come out with fire in the belly yesterday, I am not sure we will after the bye, we have already had numerous opportunities to 'make statements' and 'atone').

Bad news on top of bad news right now :-(

Hope Tracc is doing OK. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Older demon said:

I feel for Trac, the lacerated spleen is a concern and more like a car crash injury and he would have been in some serious pain and I cannot believe he actually went back out to play. I would be surprised if it wasn't season-ending.

And before you jump on me, I have years of experience working in a trauma setting. Without knowing the medical notes all I can say is the spleen is tricky and a serious injury. It contains lots of blood and its healing time varies and it is slow to repair. 

From a reputable medical journal "Avoid strenuous activities that could re-injure your spleen. These include lifting, jogging, aerobic exercise, and contact sports. Get plenty of rest for 2-3 months."

Let him rest and fully recover and time to blood some kids.

And this is what is scaring a lot of us. 

I couldn't give a stuff about the season right now I just hope like hell the guy is alright and there aren't any complications. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Next question... WHO GAVE THE OK FOR HIM TO GO BACK OUT ONTO THE FIELD??

Edited by picket fence
  • Thinking 1
  • Sad 1

Poor bloke. Hope he takes whatever time he needs to get right. 

This feels like when Salah got professionally taken out by Ramos in the UCL final years ago....

• Sad 1

To anyone lamenting our medico's for "allowing" him back on to the ground - the extent of the injuries were not known until he went to hospital. All they really have to go on is whether the player themselves thinks they can continue play or not. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Smokey said:

To anyone lamenting our medico's for "allowing" him back on to the ground - the extent of the injuries were not known until he went to hospital. All they really have to go on is whether the player themselves thinks they can continue play or not. 

Is this fact??

• Sad 1

Just now, picket fence said:

Is this fact??

You tell me - what are the obvious outward signs of a ruptured spleen that the medico's could identify on the sidelines? 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Smokey said:

It’s not all they have to go on. They have the vision and medical examination.

But there’s probably no way to diagnose small spleen lacs or a small lung puncture without imaging, in a guy who’s very sore and not breathing comfortably due to you know, the broken ribs! And whilst they sound bad now it’s not necessarily all that worrying.

So really, it’s a guy with very painful ribs and you’re trying to examine if they’re fractured or not, how badly and quantify risk of further injury. 

In hindsight you can say Tracc stayed down for so long and was so sore when he came back on that it was likely more than just damaged rib cartilage. But it’s easy in hindsight. And it’s not like he played out the game, they gave it a go then got him out of there.

Edited by DeeSpencer
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Is this fact??

Stupid question on 'Land @picket fence. You should know better than most we are in a post-truth world. Rules are 'schemes of arrangement' and facts are the last thoughts that ran through the brain picked up from an ever increasing shrill and delusional public discourse.

Edited by Queanbeyan Demon
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Smokey said:

Incorrect. My friend who is a doctor saw him sucking in the air on TV and immediately said “he punctured a lung or bleeding internally”

If they didn’t know the extent of the injuries, they should have taken the right precautions and sent him to hospital immediately, given the risk of internal injuries was very high. 
Imagine if he got hit again after being sent back on the ground. This is not a hamstring or a knee, the risk is not worth it. Much like we take no risks with head injuries. 

• Like 11
  • Clap 4
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

To think he went back on the field too. What a champion. 

He is although the staff should have probably stepped up and taken him off .

With Olivers form being all over the shop and Sparrow never really stepping up.... I mean yesterday was a great example of Sparrow .

Sparrow started very well and had a solid first quarter and then he went very quiet.

I always had ideas that Sparrow in earlier days would be close to becoming our next Tracca. Alas this is never going to happen. A now seasoned midfielder he averages just over fourteen disposals a game. He shouldn't be selected. Period .

So with Oliver having a bad season and Sparrow never really stepping up we have Viney in the spotlight.

JV hasn't been bad by most standards but he is clearly down in form. Last year he was on fire and this year while being ok is tearing games apart by any metric. In fact this year he's averaged five disposals less than his norm.

I was thinking about our midfield the other day and wondered how much trouble we would be in if Tracca was injured. 

Well here we are. Get well asap Tracca. We need you so much. Our once famous and powerful midfield is now as hell of its previous self.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Thanks 1

Bugger...

All the best for a full and speedy recovery.

Lool after yourself Trac. Don't worry about the footy so much for this year.

Take care.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

I'm a doctor with experience managing these injuries. I thought I'd make a few comments to quell speculation.

SEN reported Petracca had surgery. That wouldn't be for a "small punctured lung" (that's treated with a tube inserted between the ribs to inflate the lung) or four fractured ribs, so I assume it was for the spleen. It's uncommon these days to need to operate on splenic injuries as our interventional radiology colleagues are excellent at performing a minimal invasive procedure (angioembolisation) to stop the bleeding.

That Petracca needed surgery suggests this was nothing short of a life-threatening situation. Surgery in this case is usually via a long incision in the midline of the abdomen. That in itself takes a long time to recover from (eg no heavy lifting for six weeks). Then there is the time needed to re-again AFL-level fitness.

As a young and fit person, I'm sure Petracca will be fine in time but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the end of his 2024 season.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 29
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, speed demon said:

I'm a doctor with experience managing these injuries. I thought I'd make a few comments to quell speculation.

SEN reported Petracca had surgery. That wouldn't be for a "small punctured lung" (that's treated with a tube inserted between the ribs to inflate the lung) or four fractured ribs, so I assume it was for the spleen. It's uncommon these days to need to operate on splenic injuries as our interventional radiology colleagues are excellent at performing a minimal invasive procedure (angioembolisation) to stop the bleeding.

That Petracca needed surgery suggests this was nothing short of a life-threatening situation. Surgery in this case is usually via a long incision in the midline of the abdomen. That in itself takes a long time to recover from (eg no heavy lifting for six weeks). Then there is the time needed to re-again AFL-level fitness.

As a young and fit person, I'm sure Petracca will be fine in time but it wouldn't surprise me if this was the end of his 2024 season.    

Glad someone responded to the announcement over the DL radio for a doctor. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Follow the medico’s directions Christian, rest up and take it easy until your body is ready to go again. We will miss you terribly but need you fit and healthy so don’t cut any corners in your full recovery.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

The Pies certainly are very good at racking up the dangerous football acts. 

First Gus, now Trac. They aren't going after our lightweights, are they?

I wonder if Moore will dip into the wine collection and drop it off? 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 4
  • Sad 1

2024 is looking like 2019 all over again, our boys just can’t get a break or a clear run at it in ‘24.0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

Take a look at the incident carefully and I don't think there is much doubt that Moore deliberately put his knee "hard" into tracs back.

No doubt it’s deliberate however, 

1) it’s why you don’t back into packs. 

2) Every defender and forward goes in with their knee up, it’s how you launch at the ball and protect yourself. 

If it was Maynard I’d think differently but Moore is not a dirty player. 

Edited by Gawndy the Great
  • Like 2
  • Thinking 2

Simon and Kate should be fronting up to explain this, but they'll hide as per. I'm eternally grateful to Goodwin for the flag, but our club is not in good hands with him running things.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, speed demon said:

I wouldn’t take SENs reporting as gospel. They do tend to add some mayo to everything to fuel the clickbait industry. 

Nevertheless, you can’t rule it out as truth either, which is unfortunate for Trac and MFC.

• Love 1

Looks like its gonna be Gawny the one man band.
Thoughts for Trac ... He'd be feelin' it right now.

• Love 1