Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2024 Injury List

Whispering_Jack

12 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Weren't they only offering their pick 13 or 14 though? That's no where near enough for him, would rather take the punt on him getting healthy again, that pick would've been pushed out to 20. If they had of offered something better than that you'd think about it but pretty sure they lowballed us 

Yeah some of these trades give you the pip. We gave up two first rounders for Lever. Rated him highly and paid accordingly.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Weren't they only offering their pick 13 or 14 though? That's no where near enough for him, would rather take the punt on him getting healthy again, that pick would've been pushed out to 20. If they had of offered something better than that you'd think about it but pretty sure they lowballed us 

Exactly, if you're offering a contracted Petty a huge long term deal, at least offer a decent pick/s to us. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Chop it off

Chop Who’s off. I love the MFC but I’m never going to be chopping mine off for anything to do with it no matter how bad it gets. You can chop yours off. Have to be the most extreme response I think I’ve ever seen on here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, forever demons said:

He is refered  to as a champion,no he is not and he is not the forward line saviour

I haven't read or heard either of those statements, is this on the demonland forum? Or other bogus media? Just genuinely curious.

I've heard him referred as a premiership player and I suppose in my eyes that makes him a champion of sorts.

He is a reliable key backman who has been moved forward and showed very positive signs in a small sample size. He could, IF he can find some consistency with his fitness be the key forward that could make a huge difference to this side. Far too many 'IF's' for my liking, but definitely no unequivocal statements.

Edited by Young Blood
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, forever demons said:

He is refered  to as a champion,no he is not and he is not the forward line saviour

I don't think you could call him a champion forward in the slightest. He played 5 games as a forward last year in a very small sample space.

When Goodwin threw him forward for the early Sydney and Richmond games last year he improved our forward structure  and allowed JVR to hit the scoreboard. However he hardly dominated.

He played a very good first half vs Hawthorn taking 6 marks and kicking 2 goals but as usual went off injured and missed a month.

Undoubtedly he starred in the second Richmond game with 6.0 and then was busy the following week in Hobart before once against getting injured.

Five games is a very small sample space to call him a champion forward, and Adelaide were understood to have been interested in recruiting him as a key back.

Did we get excited after a couple of games, or does he have genuine 'key forward' star written over him?

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

19 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

crom offered him ~$7m over 7 years to be their #1 key defender for the rest of his career

it'd be more than enough to turn anyone's head

Id would want to go for that type of coin too. Given his new and old injury that type of offer may not come around again but time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I don't think you could call him a champion forward in the slightest. He played 5 games as a forward last year in a very small sample space.

When Goodwin threw him forward for the early Sydney and Richmond games last year he improved our forward structure  and allowed JVR to hit the scoreboard. However he hardly dominated.

He played a very good first half vs Hawthorn taking 6 marks and kicking 2 goals but as usual went off injured and missed a month.

Undoubtedly he starred in the second Richmond game with 6.0 and then was busy the following week in Hobart before once against getting injured.

Five games is a very small sample space to call him a champion forward, and Adelaide were understood to have been interested in recruiting him as a key back.

Did we get excited after a couple of games, or does he have genuine 'key forward' star written over him?

What he showed (to me), is that he could realistically be a forward who kicks 30-40 goals in a year, which when combined with JVR, Fritsch, and Kossie’s output, we’d have a formidable forward line. 

• Like 6
  • Clap 1

On 15/02/2024 at 12:50, deebunked said:

MFC ( denied) him a transfer to Adelaide.

Is that correct? Petty actually wanted to leave us with 2 years left on his contract. Thats not how i read it.

Why leave. He doesnt even come from Adelaide. Just the money?

Whatever you read in the media before the capital letter in the first sentence is correct.

• Like 1

Bit late with the revisionist history about trading him. If his wish is to leave at the end of 24’ or 25’ we just need to hope he can get on the park and show something otherwise no club will be stupid enough to chuck money at him or draft capital with the ‘fragile’ body he is beginning show that he has. 

• Sad 1

I am suprised we didn’t take Croms offer last year. We could have hard bargained them a lot further than what they offered. 
Harry has serious natural talent at both ends of the ground, but his body is injury prone. It’s a serious gamble we have taken. 
I hope it comes off

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

When did he play forward vs Sydney and Richmond? If he did it was a very short spell and could hardly be judged as any time Was nowhere near a spell of more than 10mons if I am guessing. And when during those games. 

Really correctly he played a half vs Hawks And just under half vs Roos at Blundstone ( wouldn’t risk too many players there again ) Luckily we don’t play there this season. And he got his 6 goals vs Tigers at the G while I was flying home from Heathrow. 

To clarify he also has played 10 mins vs Lions up forward  in our Semi in 2022 we lost by 7 pts. In a brainwave Goody sent Harry forward far too late in the last 10 mins. (Spoiler alert WCW) If he had the flair and dare  to risk it  he would’ve  been successful IMO that  last quarter as Harry took 2 big marks fo1.1 in that time

Many  Dees fans remember that snd that’s  why there was pressure on Goody to try Harry in 2022 as a forward to solve our problems. 

Previously Harry was moved during games or may have started as a young player in 2019 before he really hit his big break in 2021 when Tommo also had his ACL injury at the ill fated Blundstone Arena.

Fair dinkum I would rather we play at the Cattery than that dodgy surface that they play cricket on also. 

And while I am talking Goody ( WCW) please don’t assume I hate our Coach. Simon is a good coach but who is most importantly loved by our players ( and naturally many of our fans) especially as he will like our 23 players always be regarded as one of the heroes and as the Hun topped its lift out GF review “immortals”. His place in our history is at the moment as our third best ever coach I believe. Neale Daniher was universally very highly regarded and respected but didn’t get the flag in 2000 unfortunately.

However Goody has time and could easily get another flag or two perhaps if he coaches till say 2028.

Now it’s been said by many Dees and other scribes and footy and sports “experts “ that Simon is stubborn and is not a great match day Coach. In other words he is perhaps too slow and inflexible to  make changes to the team during games to  assist in changing the balance or trend where necessary. I agree with both those assessments over Goody’s 7 years as our Senior Coach.

One other cross that has been mentioned is that we have often started slowly in games two of which no doubt hurt us in performance in VIP games bring Round 23 vs Pies at the G when they jumped us and we missed the Top8 by 0.5% or something and of course last QF the first 10 mins including the monster Maynard’s thuggery also we looked and were lethargic when we needed to be up and running. You may say Simon can’t kick the ball for us but it’s happened too many times in his coaching I believe to add to his match day performance assessment.

Some will disagree with some of this but a 7 mark as a coach is still very good in the AFL. I believe if he can get us another flag he is an8 and say two more a 9 or 9.5 depending upon circumstances etc. 

But to say I dislike Simon is completely out of range and not true, we are all judges here at D/L and that’s what makes this forum so successful and loved and mostly respected by its participants. Yes it seems sometimes harsh but we all are very emotional and passionate supporters. We invest ( not as much time and passion as you do and thank you for all you do. I respect that unconditionally) but reserve the right to disagree strongly where appropriate or good naturedly on other occasions. You call a spade a spade ( or even a shovel occasionally) so it’s open [censored]  for tat on occasions. And I won’t be changing my methods. 

If Simon can get us challenging in 2024 or any future years ( he has done a very good job in 2022/2023 getting Top4 but it’s so tough as Trac mentioned in his podcast little things are going to matter and result in differing opinions.
We all reserve our rights to post or comment but I don’t think there is a fan in D/L that hates any player or coach or MFC official. You may differ as you seem to have to liaise or meet a lot of differing types that are near the action. Some brilliant and  others not so I guess like work. 

Go Dees. Have a great day Sunday . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

The fascinating  ( and for mine annoying ) dilemma that is Harrison Petty.

I've nearly always taken an impersonal view when regarding players.  I've even suggested , to the disgust if not chagrin of some that in terms of a team compliment they all essentially widgets of one form or another.....just as chess pieces are.

They are paid servants of the club. They're there of their own volition and a bonus if there's an added passion beyond the desire to simply play the game and at its highest level. ....and do so for Melbourne. 

I precurse my view of Petty with the above caveat. He's just one bloke. Yes, he CAN play.....yet seldom does....( able to ) 

You would need to be a special kind of blinkered [censored] to want form your forward planning ( both inventions there ;) ) around Petty.  That would be a very poor bet.

Imho we were mugs not to have taken the Adelaide deal.

Clever clubs know when to hold...know when to..... etc etc.

Why am I reminded of the meme with Carey wincing " so there's still a chance?" 

I wish Petty well...as I would wish anyone.

But im not about all the luvvy duvvyness of football...and players. 

We don't need him.   We need to build an offence that works to a system and becomes embellished by the adhoc talents of those out there rather than the other way around.

Sorry to be petty but Petty does not offer good value.  An unreliable asset.  That's just reality.

Go Dees

Those with knives and barbs form an orderly line >>>>>>>>

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I've nearly always taken an impersonal view when regarding players.  I've even suggested , to the disgust if not chagrin of some that in terms of a team compliment they all essentially widgets of one form or another.....just as chess pieces are.

They are paid servants of the club. They're there of their own volition and a bonus if there's an added passion beyond the desire to simply play the game and at its highest level. ....and do so for Melbourne. 

I precurse my view of Petty with the above caveat. He's just one bloke. Yes, he CAN play.....yet seldom does....( able to ) 

You would need to be a special kind of blinkered [censored] to want form your forward planning ( both inventions there ;) ) around Petty.  That would be a very poor bet.

We don't need him.   We need to build an offence that works to a system and becomes embellished by the adhoc talents of those out there rather than the other way around.

Sorry to be petty but Petty does not offer good value.  An unreliable asset.  That's just reality.

Go Dees

Respect your opinion, but sorry, I just don’t agree with it.
You say we were mugs to not take Adelaide’s offer. To me that immediately casts doubt on the sensibilities of our Trading Team - and based on past years of performance, that would be totally out of character.  Besides, I don’t remember what they were offering us in return!

That also assumes that Petty, although somewhat injury prone now, won’t ever come good. Take the example of Joel Smith. He had 5 or 6(?) years where his body, and circumstance, let him down. But he finally got his body right and he was worth the wait (before he shot himself in the foot). Petty is a far better footballer than Smith IMV, and as such, the Club are more likely to work with him till he gets his body right, just as they did with Smith. 
He’s a keeper for mine - unless he wants to head back to SA at some stage.

• Like 4

Petty has the potential to seriously improve our forward line this year and next, putting us in contention to win finals. Nothing Adelaide were offering was going to come close.

Lets discuss the virtues of holding or trading Petty last year until 2024 and 2025 play out, as he has the potential to be a 40+ goal scoring, aggressive and defensive tall who can play both ends, for next two years. 

plus he’s a sweet likable man whom it feels his teammates adore…

Go Demons.

• Like 6

What was the "Adelaide deal"?

I remember hearing they were offering McAdam in exchange at one stage.

With respect, if that was the deal then I believe the club did the correct thing in refusing.

Was there anything better on offer?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Go Dees

With respect Bub you are an impatient supporter.  Yes he is frustrating and we only a solid fitness base of Harry bring a class forward line. Yo throw the baby out now would have half of our supporters do a mass murder if Adelaide beat us  to the 2025/6 Flag with Petty at CHB. 

it’s as a forward he offers so much and all other players will rise with him as the talisman. 

Trust me a forward set up with Petty JVR Jefferson Fritta Kossie McAdam ANB Trac Kolt Clarry at times Gawn occasionally plus Jed Adams as a cameo ( he hasplayed forward in junior footy) if our intensity and pace increases would be unstoppable. Good luck oppositions!!

But Harry atm is crucial so let’s get him fit s as nd playing 20 games per season. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Bimbo said:

What was the "Adelaide deal"?

I remember hearing they were offering McAdam in exchange at one stage.

With respect, if that was the deal then I believe the club did the correct thing in refusing.

Was there anything better on offer?

Pretty sure they offered McAdam and the 1st round pick we traded away, ?14 (clearly we didn't rate the players likely to be available at that pick which probably ended up about pick 20). Hardly an offer you can't refuse.

• Thanks 1