POSTGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

22 minutes ago, YearOfTheDees said:

I was amazed the Fritsch was allowed to take the kick at goal while Braysure was unconscious on the ground. Guess if it had been a point or out on the full they would have stopped the game. 

or kicked into the man in the mark! 

• Like 1

I really dont like the idea of people saying the maynard things was just one of those football things so dont worry about it. The fact that roo may get a week or two for something that had no consequences and maynard's which did shows the absurdity of the AFL's rules and interpretation or protecting the player. They are basically endorsing such behaviour. There has to be consequences for these types of acts. Gus was totally open to the hit not able to protect himself, out of the two him with feet firmly planted on the ground and maynard flying through the air, Gus was the one in most danger not maynard.

I still remember the grandfinal against Essendon when Aaron Davis was hit and taken off around the 2nd quarter. That cost us one of our best players. I really believe we need a send off rule for these type of behaviors.  If we have a player in their last year of football (ala Karl Dietrich) who does not mind being suspended they can do any sort of horrible thing they like without consequence to them or their team. How far will some players go to win a grandfinal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Norm Smith's Curse said:

There was one passage of play where Cox carefully put his arms around May and Lever and then fell to the ground as the ball passed them and was marked by Mihochek - but the umpires were cool with that...

Yet we get a set shot taken off us because Quaynor runs into Kozzie and falls over. Another forward entry taken off us when De Goey got a free for holding on the southern stand wing when it looked like nothing in it. Pies players duck into tackles which should be prior opportunity and holding the ball but nah, they get away with it.

We got away with a couple of blatant throws but even with the frees going out way I thought there were some shocking decisions against us. That's not even mentioning the typical Oliver/Petracca getting scragged around contests, players getting blocked out of marking contest, Gawn being blocked trying to run downfield etc etc

Clubs keep doing it because the AFL let's them get away with it, then they wonder why the game looks like a scrap.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Pickett needed to do what hill did last night. Unfortunately Pickett goes missing to many times 

I think he would have thrived running back into our 50 unattended like Hill but we just don't have that style of play

• Like 2

5 hours ago, picket fence said:

Have now been proven correct!

‘Proved’ not ‘proven.’

But bully for you that you picked it! Congrats. Your badge is in the mail. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Superunknown said:

We will be out in straight sets or the prelim.

that was a myopic start. 

I don’t want to be that guy but there were a few here who were saying “if we lose I’d hate to be thinking “what if” for not l playing Brodie”. 

I don't think Grundy would've helped last night. Our problem was marks inside 50 and converting, two things he doesn't do well. Maybe we could've put him in the ruck and Max forward but again, Gawn rarely plays well as a tall forward, he's better around the ground.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Deecisive said:

I really dont like the idea of people saying the maynard things was just one of those football things so dont worry about it. The fact that roo may get a week or two for something that had no consequences and maynard's which did shows the absurdity of the AFL's rules and interpretation or protecting the player. They are basically endorsing such behaviour. There has to be consequences for these types of acts. Gus was totally open to the hit not able to protect himself, out of the two him with feet firmly planted on the ground and maynard flying through the air, Gus was the one in most danger not maynard.

I still remember the grandfinal against Essendon when Aaron Davis was hit and taken off around the 2nd quarter. That cost us one of our best players. I really believe we need a send off rule for these type of behaviors.  If we have a player in their last year of football (ala Karl Dietrich) who does not mind being suspended they can do any sort of horrible thing they like without consequence to them or their team. How far will some players go to win a grandfinal.

If he jumps up like that at pies training to smother, there is no fricken chance he collects the player like that. Players don't take out teammates at training cause they respect their duty of care with respect to their teammates .  They go harder in games as the duty of care is lowered. He went too far in his attempt to be at game day intensity.  Spare me the he had no other option.   It was a split second act but a conscious one. 

• Like 4
  • Clap 1

Pickett doesn't go missing, he works incredibly hard, always has a close tag and works in a forward line without a true key forward and one that regularly has 30 players within the arc. Watch the replay and tell me he's not working his backside off, then watch Salem who must be injured.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I don't think Grundy would've helped last night. Our problem was marks inside 50 and converting, two things he doesn't do well. Maybe we could've put him in the ruck and Max forward but again, Gawn rarely plays well as a tall forward, he's better around the ground.

Thing is we had no one who did do it well.

Actually think Grundy offers way more than JVR has recently.

• Like 3
  • Thinking 2

8 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

If he jumps up like that at pies training to smother, there is no fricken chance he collects the player like that. Players don't take out teammates at training cause they respect their duty of care with respect to their teammates .  They go harder in games as the duty of care is lowered. He went too far in his attempt to be at game day intensity.  Spare me the he had no other option.   It was a split second act but a conscious one. 

indeed. A dog act by a dog of a player. His post-match interview reads like an abusive spouse trying to argue his sentence down "I love the guy to bits". Spare me. 

• Clap 2
  • Vomit 3

12 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

Pickett doesn't go missing, he works incredibly hard, always has a close tag and works in a forward line without a true key forward and one that regularly has 30 players within the arc. Watch the replay and tell me he's not working his backside off, then watch Salem who must be injured.

Picket works hard but really doesn't have a good idea on how to position himself when the long ball is kicked inside 50 to a contest. Nearly always in the wrong spot. Needs to be coached by a proper small forward like Steve Johnson. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Buzzy said:

How would Grundy have helped?  Not a forward, it's been proven.

Would have rucked ,whilst second ruck instead of .JVR as well as tall forward ..TMac did nothing really although flicked a goal.He would have also gave Gawn a chance at full forward to kick a goal,at least 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GM11 said:

Thing is we had no one who did do it well.

Actually think Grundy offers way more than JVR has recently.

Agree fully.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dees189227 said:

Maynard's words came back to bit him when he said during the week about wanting to hurt our players.

But he and Angus are actually good mates and played under 18s together. So I'm sure he won't be feeling all that great. Well he should feel awful 

I bet that doesn't get mentioned again.

Also I hope his Dad has a quiet word with him.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Can't fault our mental toughness, heart and desire to compete. It's admirable for sure and says a lot about how far we've come and the kind of culture we've created. Clearly we're respected. 

Ultimately we lost the game in a way that has been a trend for how long now? Too long. Years. 

Oliver is a great example tonight of what too many of our players do. Bomb shallow, high, sometimes long. Just zero composure. That was as close to as the most non-infliential 30 touch game I've seen from someone and he gave away stupid free kicks also. 

Tom McDonald, wow. 

Max Gawn is just too good to believe and almost single handedly kept us alive. A pleasure watching him. 

Brayshaw being subbed out clearly didn't help our cause. But the signs were already there imo. Collingwood were cleaner, tougher and more proactive early and we just couldn't match it. One good quarter is never enough. 

And for those saying Maynard should get weeks, you have no idea. He jumped in the air to smother. That was the football action. And once in the air, could not do a thing to stop his body colliding into Brayshaw's.. Extremely unfortunate for Gus and Melbourne supporters, but if you cannot see it for what it is, you have a serious Melbourne bias and just completely unreasonable. Some of the comments on here are hilariously embarrassing. 

Maynard is scum, but he actually did nothing wrong. 

Let's hope Gus is okay, we can still do some damage although I see some serous holes appearing for us. 

Aussie rules supporters are just brainwashed into lauding this so-called manly  "split-second" stuff. Is this writer saying the coach is wrong as well? These are the kind of head hits that future class-actions are made of and intimidatory behaviour should be called out and suspensions applied when they are attempted . CTE is too strong an issue to protect the perpetrator ahead of the victim/ball-carrier..

• Like 5
  • Clap 3

19 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

Gee everyones getting stuck into goody about his comments.

I'd say he was angry because it's Gus and we lost him early in the game & his history of concussion & also the way we butchered the final quarter 

Who is Everyone??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

Lost 8 games by a combined total of 77 points this season. Rated number 1 for inside 50 entries yet most wasteful. Very frustrating we still can’t decent connection with mids and forwards. 

We scored a goal with 10% of our inside 50s

Collingwood scored a goal with 24% of theirs

• Like 1

Rough night and morning for me. I never do this but I've found myself getting into arguments with Pies fans on social media and have just had to just shut it all down. Can't read any more stupid posts about nose beers, Simon Goodwin/dees fans "sooking", 10k Melbourne supporters at the game, snow jokes.

Just an awful bunch of people and I can't be dragged down to their level. It's not worth my time and sanity.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Must admit it’s a horrible experience playing that lot, the crowd is intimidating & you get abused for supporting your own team, half of them were [censored] & baying for blood.

And the arrogance is next level, we should’ve beaten the ba*#ards

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1