• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

GAMEDAY: Rd 17 vs St. Kilda

Demonland

55 minutes ago, Deebymistake said:

Ticket question - I just tried to purchase 2 member upgrade tickets then and nothing seems available.  I imagine my daughter and I should be able to show our home & away membership at the gate and sit in general admission.  Surely it is not a sell out?  

I had the same problem and rang the club to book a seat for me. It may have been that I had Ticketmaster opened twice. Try turning your device off and back on.

Not sure why JVR isn’t playing?? Understand he’s only 20 & needs to develop etc but currently our best inform fwd in both the senior & Casey teams. 
The dogs & pies showed how fwds need to lead to the ball carrier & not run away from them  & avoid the bombing, every time they did the pies intercepted .. is this rocket science for our players to do? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Fascinating data wheello.

Contradicts somewhat the idea that out inaccuracy is caused by our entries ie that we are having heaps of difficult shots becuase we have been kicking to the pockets more

An interesting stat from the last 4 games is the percentage of shots from the pocket but from 35 meters plus. It is those shots that are the most likely to miss the shots.

There has been a slight increase it seems from our season average of such shots in the last 4 games.

I think in part that could be explained by tow interacted elements:

• we are not moving the ball at speed and so are not creating free players inside 50 
  • our territory and inside 50 dominance means the ball is trapped in our front half a lot, which creates a super congested forward area 9and few free players to spot up) and shots from near the 50 metre arc from intercepts marks from dump clearing kicks from oppo defenders 

When we start moving the  ball quicker i expect there will be less kicks from the pockets and 35 plus metres out.

On the data for the last four rounds, it is important to consider how wet it was in the cats and giants games. 

This is what I was implying in my post.

When Channel 9 used some data from one of our recent games, they didn't compare it to our shots across the entirety of the season, they used one game earlier in the year as a comparison. That's not a big enough sample size, and they basically used a small data sample to fit the narrative that we're suffering forward connection and taking harder shots from more difficult angles, hence inaccuracy. It's a really shallow, lazy analysis. 

Further, many Demonlanders have bought the line that we don't go central and are too safe with our ball movement.

Our problem in these situations I believe (as you say above), is that we go too slowly to the central hot spot, but we're still taking risks by going centrally. As you and @WheeloRatings have pointed out, there are more exits for the opposition to expose on turnover in these situations.

Compare this to last year in the second half of the season, and I reckon the data would tell us that we went to the pockets far more often than this year. Therefore, I'd argue Goody has changed this too up, but managed to maintain defensive integrity behind the ball even when we do go centrally. Part of this is likely allowing the opposition the +1 at the contest and using our player as an interceptor across the forward 50 for dump kicks, and to potentially prevent the opposition chaining out.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Caligula's cohort said:

Melky playing 100 games for the MFC today, well done mate! your early career with us was sensational and were one of my favourite forwards to watch. Congrats to Salem on 150 as well. 

Hi goal in the 2018 final against the Hawks was a thing of beauty. 

20 minutes ago, Cyclops said:

I had the same problem and rang the club to book a seat for me. It may have been that I had Ticketmaster opened twice. Try turning your device off and back on.

Thank you Cyclops.  I logged out, tried again and now have tickets.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

The forward line has Bbb who has barely played.

Spargo who was recently dropped.

Anb who is out of form.

Melksham who like Bbb has barely played and didn't do much last week.

But for some strange reason I think we will win.

Hard to be too excited though with our recent form and injuries.

Wish Jvr was playing.

At least it will be dry.

The form's been good. We're getting it down there plenty of times. But, yes, the goal-kicking form has been atrocious.

6 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I shall be watching this epic from the balmy confines of The Manor surrounded, naturally, by canapés and matching beverages. 

I simply hate Darklands and will not view football from that hole.

This is unfortunately an attitude of many Melbourne supporters I know...

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Demonsone said:

Not sure why JVR isn’t playing?? Understand he’s only 20 & needs to develop etc but currently our best inform fwd in both the senior & Casey teams. 

JVR had 3 shots at goal over his last 3 AFL games. needs to develop his game and stay involved for longer. he’ll be back soon

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A F said:

This is unfortunately an attitude of many Melbourne supporters I know...

I don't know how many others share my view Adam but I detest the seating and the atmosphere. As a Trident member, I have an excellent seat and facilities at the G , so I suppose that spoils me.

I did, however, attend a few years ago as a guest of a Saint's member ( at least trident equivalent) and they had an excellent room , facilities and view from level 2. The name of the room/area eludes me at the moment.

• Like 2

Work (and life) has been super busy this week so only managed to look at the selections 5 minutes ago.  Can't understand why Melksham is still in the team and Smith isn't.  Smith gets involved in every contest and applies defensive pressure, something not in Jakes wheelhouse.

Absolutely wrapped Woey mkII is getting a go, not just for him, but for all the kids at Casey - gives them a sign of what selection requires.

Seeing Clayton still out reminds me of The Angels classic "Am I ever going to see your face again?"

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, DubDee said:

JVR had 3 shots at goal over his last 3 AFL games. needs to develop his game and stay involved for longer. he’ll be back soon

Consistently bombing it on top of his head isn't going to see JVR develop much craft at AFL level which is a pity. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I won't be able to watch much of this one but have an ominous feeling about it.  My MFCSS is resurfacing badly.  GO DEES.

11 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I don't know how many others share my view Adam but I detest the seating and the atmosphere. As a Trident member, I have an excellent seat and facilities at the G , so I suppose that spoils me.

I did, however, attend a few years ago as a guest of a Saint's member ( at least trident equivalent) and they had an excellent room , facilities and view from level 2. The name of the room/area eludes me at the moment.

I'll tell you I'm glad to be going to Marvel and not the G tonight, Bitters.

Should be an interesting contest, if not an arm wrestle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got no confidence about dees tonight, I think saints fwd line will trouble us with max king height and smalls we never seem to match up well against, while their ultra defensive style will make scoring at our end even harder than it has been. I wouldn’t be surprised if they win by 30

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

You dont like being challenged eh.

Go back and read again. Its not that complicated though you love to make everything exactly that.

Or not.. 

Don't like being challenged? What on earth you talking about?

As any regular reader of DL over the last decade or so can attest, i love being challenged. 

Love to be challenged and love to debate - assuming it has some sound logical foundations, isn't an exercise in gotcha questions, doesn't involve circular arguments and most of all doesn't involve willful misinterpretation. 

As i said, you have clearly completely misunderstood what i wrote and the point i was making. And as i also said i'm not going to restate that point

As you so pithily say - go back and read again. Or not.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Last time around (Round 8, 2022), we smashed Saints from stoppages, scoring 49 points to 13 from that source.

Now that we've got our stoppage game back, fast deck, I'm hoping (even without our best stoppage player), we can score heavily again from stoppage, because I think it'll be heavy going from turnover tonight, as St Kilda will look to get numbers behind the ball.

Edited by A F

18 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

After 2 weeks of wanting nothing more than to watch my team play in Melbourne there’s no way I’m missing the opportunity to go tonight.

Show up. Shout. 

See ya there 👌

• Love 1