Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to put the 'Kozzy Form Slump' bias to bed!

waynewussell

On 7/9/2023 at 12:15 AM, A F said:

The dreaded groupthink is strong on this one.

26 pressure acts, 2nd most for us and 3rd most on the ground.

He's playing high TOG, I hope so that they can start to run him through the middle again like they did in the first 10 rounds.

I have no questions about his work rate or endeavor. But he is at his best with ball in hand. He looked lost around the packs when i watched the replay. He is a point of difference with his speed and aggression but it just not on show at the moment. 

• Like 2

I can understand that Kozzie will have low possession games and patches where goals are leaner… I t’s a hard position to play. But for the first time this week I thought his effort was really poor, he looked like he wasn’t trying at times. Some of his half chases probably still counted as pressure acts but he needs to lift his intensity. That’s the non-negotiable part of his game and the goals will come if he gets that right, he’s too talented. But we need more from him.

• Shocked 1

On 7/7/2023 at 9:04 PM, praha said:

He's tracking thereabouts with Eddie Betts and Jeff Farmer at the same age. Similar in some areas to Cyril Rioli at the same age but Cyril did way more work around the ground and had more impact, more often. 

He's doing okay without setting the world on fire. But he looked great in round 1 and stifled his own momentum a bit.

Actually in comparison to Cyrils first 3 years, Cyrils was getting about 4 more disposals a game so your'e right there (Roughly Kozzie 11 disp to Cyril 15). But Kozzies kicking a lot more goals (40 v approx 24). I'll take the twice as many goals from Kozzie and say he's in fornt of Cyril at the same age. 

Edited by Bay Riffin

58 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

I have no questions about his work rate or endeavor. But he is at his best with ball in hand. He looked lost around the packs when i watched the replay. He is a point of difference with his speed and aggression but it just not on show at the moment. 

No doubt, he needs to get more involved offensively, not just defensively.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 6:35 AM, leave it to deever said:

Definately time for him and David Warner to be dropped.

I'm with you on David Warner. Anybody who announces in advance his ideal retirement plans pre-Ashes and then does little deserves to be dropped. What happened to shutting up and letting your bat do the talking!

David Warner has laid out his ideal plan for retirement across Australian cricket’s three formats, the opener eyeing a hometown Sydney Test farewell in January. That would follow an exit from one-day cricket at the 50-over World Cup in November, before carrying on in the shortest form until the T20 World Cup in June 2024.

Re Kozzie, I have mixed feelings. He hasn't reached the stage where he's an automatic selection. He should be in the side on his merits and he had 4 possessions on Saturday night. If Melbourne were playing North or Hawthorn this weekend I'd name him confident he could gain some form & confidence but not sure against Brisbane. The only issue is that Casey have the bye this  weekend so he wouldn't be getting a game at a lower level.

• Angry 1

Kozzie is such a freakish player. He could end up kicking 6 goals against Brisbane this week, you just never know.

However, his recent form has been disappointing.

I would give him more midfield minutes just so he touches the ball more.

His creativity is quite brilliant.

Anyway, I don't see any other small forwards really banging down the selector's door to replace Kozzie just yet.

Hopefully, Kozzie plays well on Friday night against the Lions.

• Like 1

Appears to me as a troubled man.

Playing sport is probably the last thing on his mind, not unusual for a young man.

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, bluey said:

Appears to me as a troubled man.

Playing sport is probably the last thing on his mind, not unusual for a young man.

Not this rubbish please 

If you have no concrete proof, please do not post about players personal lives. 

• Like 2
  • Vomit 1

29 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Not this rubbish please 

If you have no concrete proof, please do not post about players personal lives. 

I have not heard this or heard that.

I didn’t say that at all, I was merely musing in deep thought

My post was clearly a legitimate concern.

• Thinking 1

Whilst I expect Pickett to remain in the side, I wouldn't be shocked if he's dropped on Thursday night as a mini wake up call and then start the game as sub.

Might be the circuit breaker he needs, in terms of sitting out the first 2 or so quarters out and then come on fresh and do some damage in the last quarter against a tired Brisbane defence or midfield.

But I assume he remains in the side for one more week.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 7/9/2023 at 2:48 PM, Mel Bourne said:

One of those i50 tackles (2nd quarter, 5:44 on the clock) still allowed for Byrnes to give-off to Steele mid-tackle. who managed to clear the ball (albeit ineffectively) back out of the 50. 

Without wanting to get too pedantic, it’s interesting to see how that champion data definition doesn’t quite match up to the reality. 

Yes, a lot of "half" tackles that are not effective/impactful. Should only count successful tackles where the ball carrier can't continue to move the ball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Whilst I expect Pickett to remain in the side, I wouldn't be shocked if he's dropped on Thursday night as a mini wake up call and then start the game as sub.

Might be the circuit breaker he needs, in terms of sitting out the first 2 or so quarters out and then come on fresh and do some damage in the last quarter against a tired Brisbane defence or midfield.

But I assume he remains in the side for one more week.

Too bad he didn’t allow the same leeway to Joel, sitting out two quarters, instead of the last three minutes.

• Like 1

Numerous posters have commented that what upset them about Kozzie's performance against the Saints was not his lack of impact on the game but the fact that at times he didn't appear to be giving 100 per cent effort. Some of his attempted tackles certainly looked half-hearted and he did a lot of aimless running. He is still relatively inexperienced and I wonder sometimes if he is uncertain of the precise role Goodwin wants him to play. We all know he is a potential matchwinner but lately his game has been below par. If people are worried about possible off-field problems that does not necessarily imply anything unsavoury. Young players can suffer from homesickness, worries about sick relatives or a host of other common issues that can put them off their game. At his best Kozzie is an excitement machine and we all hope he proves that in the coming weeks.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thinking 1

14 hours ago, Smokey said:

Wouldn’t the point be that we would be expecting to see an increase in his output after a few seasons rather than a plateau? 

That's the point I made in my response to WW's highly biased case for Kossie on the figures he produced. His numbers were given about the same as 2022 and lately his figures  have dropped alarmingly and goals scored of course to cause this situation that some refuse to admit exists. Now AAA have highlighted it there is no doubt his effect and impact have plummeted and no amount of "kossie spin" about defensive acts and fatigue because of high game time vs Giants. Did he really get 19 possessions that game?

it's difficult because we all love Kossie but our forward line can't carry passengers who can't kick their goal numbers. Spargo and ANB will have to be dropped if we can't kick goals enough to win games. 

Goody better start tweaking with our game plan with no more defensive forwards who don't help our scoring. 

• Love 1

On 7/7/2023 at 2:53 PM, Bystander said:

Far be it from me to step on anyone's literary toes, particularly on demonland, but, in Australian slang, "magoos" means a lower level of competition, not the umpires.

E.g. "He will be in the magoos if he keeps that rubbish up".

Then again, if you were sympathetic to the myopic cartoon character, "Mr.Magoo", it's easy to spot the mix-up... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Yes, a lot of "half" tackles that are not effective/impactful. Should only count successful tackles where the ball carrier can't continue to move the ball.

Do " pressure acts" also include running really fast at ball carriers who nonetheless know they will have time to dispose of the ball?

• Thinking 1

15 minutes ago, IRW said:

Do " pressure acts" also include running really fast at ball carriers who nonetheless know they will have time to dispose of the ball?

Obsession with stats is mostly succumbing to David Kings drivell which comes from the Australian obsession with trying to mirror American football, where " plays" are more constructed and thus open to statistical analysis.

Stats are also more informative in tennis because of the simple nature of the ( gadiatorial) competition

In our game they are more like mere pointers so experienced analysts get a hint at what to consider.

Most/ many times I wager they don't reveal as  much useful information as we like to imagine.

Kossi's possesion count in the grand final vs last week's is the perfect example of that.

Would he have got a stat for the block he laid in the g/ f that allowed Trac to kick his " Daicos  leg break" goal I  wonder?

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1