• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to put the 'Kozzy Form Slump' bias to bed!

waynewussell

The criticism of Kossie’s contribution throughout 2023 by several DL’s is not supported by statistics!

2023 Average Disposals (11.46) +1 on 2022, -0.38 on 2021

2023 Goal Average (1.7) equal to 2022 & 2021

2023 Tackle Average (4.7) double 2022, +1.2 on 2021

2023 Contested Poss Av (5.6) slightly above 2022, -1.2 on 2021

2023 1% Average (1) above 2022 & 2021

Goal Assist Average (1) above 2022 & 2021

The only significant difference in 2023 as compared to 2022 & 2021 is in his free kick differential. Kossie is giving away significantly more frees while being awarded fewer himself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 4
  • Thinking 1

He definitely had a form slump but it was far from catastrophic in scale and a very normal experience for a small forward. It has also been over for a couple of weeks and people need to also get over it.

Having said that, I really want to him to lift to his best again because he still needs 18 goals int he remaining 8 H&A games to keep up his '40-goals-a-season' amazing track record... and... he is one of the handful of players who could actually turn the season back our way if he hits top form.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

The criticism of Kossie’s contribution throughout 2023 by several DL’s is not supported by statistics!

The only significant difference in 2023 as compared to 2022 & 2021 is in his free kick differential. Kossie is giving away significantly more frees while being awarded fewer himself.

Kossie giving away more free kicks is minor concern though combined with his lack of free kicks awarded it is worrying particularly as most are in the forward half.

Unfortunately I believe that Kossie is now in the umpires book under "small forwards who duck". True or not there are legitimate free kicks that need to be,awarded such as the one not awarded to Adelaide last week that might have changed the result.

I fear that Spargo may also be in the umpires book under the same heading.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree Cyclops I have noticed a number of blatant free’s not paid for head high tackles and holding him on the ground after tackles. Kozzie doesn’t get a fair deal from the magoo’s.!!!

• Like 9
  • Love 1

Kozzy is also playing significantly more TOG. As an example, he played 93% TOG against GWS. An insane number for a small forward, and clearly it's robbing him of creativity and energy. I just hope that strategy pays off in the end and we can use him in CBs again like we did in the first 9-10 Rounds.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cyclops said:

Kossie giving away more free kicks is minor concern though combined with his lack of free kicks awarded it is worrying particularly as most are in the forward half.

Unfortunately I believe that Kossie is now in the umpires book under "small forwards who duck". True or not there are legitimate free kicks that need to be,awarded such as the one not awarded to Adelaide last week that might have changed the result.

I fear that Spargo may also be in the umpires book under the same heading.

I think Spargo will have a whole chapter. He's earned it and needs to understand that ducking into tackles doesn't work anymore.

• Like 1

• Demonland changed the title to Time to put the 'Kozzy Form Slump' bias to bed!
3 hours ago, waynewussell said:

D'land is not a forum for facts. Please cease and desist @waynewussell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Fair point. Also the opposition have worked out how to limit his impact on the game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

Fair point. Also the opposition have worked out how to limit his impact on the game.

Rarely ever see Kossie without an opponent breathing down his neck. Tagged every game. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dl4e said:

Part of it's the way we play too. It's often and extremely crowded forward half.

If we can isolate him a bit with quicker ball movement then there will be a lot of worried defenders around.

• Like 5

I do think a lot of the expectation on Kozzy is a bit much at times.

Kid just turned 22, playing one of the hardest positions on the ground.

I've felt like the rest of the team that defensively he has been good the last month or so. He's just not positioning himself as well at times during games without the ball.

With the smaller lineup I really hope we can get out transition game moving off turnovers again to give him some actual space to work one on one. He's actually one player besides Fritsch who can get decent separation from his man-off of leads. I just think far too often the congestion in the forward half due to our ball movement makes it so difficult. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dl4e said:

This!

Statistically he may be trending similar to previous seasons, however the perceived impact has decreased in my view.

In 2021 and even 2022, it genuinely felt like he was a match winning player. This season sometimes the patches of good football come during less impactful parts of a match (say in the second quarter instead of the last in a tight contest).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Totally agree Cyclops I have noticed a number of blatant free’s not paid for head high tackles and holding him on the ground after tackles. Kozzie doesn’t get a fair deal from the magoo’s.!!!

Far be it from me to step on anyone's literary toes, particularly on demonland, but, in Australian slang, "magoos" means a lower level of competition, not the umpires.

E.g. "He will be in the magoos if he keeps that rubbish up".

Edited by Bystander
Punctuation
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My eyes don't lie, and he has been well below what he is capable of ever since the first couple of weeks. I'm not wishing him ill, just hope he can turn it around. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bystander said:

Far be it from me to step on anyone's literary toes, particularly on demonland, but, in Australian slang, "magoos" means a lower level of competition, not the umpires.

E.g. "He will be in the magoos if he keeps that rubbish up".

Understand Bystander I was trying to be subtle re: Umpires vision like Mr Magoo. Unfortunately my footy skills or lack thereof would have sentenced me to the magoo’s. Lol.!!!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, waynewussell said:

Really WW !

All your figures prove what people are saying snd that is Kossie is not playing as well as he can. This is his fourth year now and we all would have expected him to raise the bar especially after Round1 's tremendous form when playing in the centre ball ups and a bit round the ground! (He has not done this recently and Goody should be asked why).

I believe his impact is much less and you didn't even mention the over the top attempts for MOC which ha has no fit near any at all and should be waiting front and centre or at the back for crumbs to kick goals.

Oh and  the free kicks especially down the ground are costly. 

Your poor attempt  to say that others are wrong has misfired blatantly snd I love Kossie but he has got to be more team orientated and impactful now more than ever with Fritta and Clarry out. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Sad 1

He’s been ordinary since he’s signed the new contract.

Before posters jump all over me, we are allowed to criticise sub par performances & Kozzie has been pretty poor & had little impact for the past 6 weeks

Im not sugarcoating anything at the moment the club & players have sub par of late & we’re wasting a very good list

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

10 hours ago, waynewussell said:

His stats may be standing up compared to previous years but my expectation would be that he should be exceeding these numbers by now

• Like 7

He's tracking thereabouts with Eddie Betts and Jeff Farmer at the same age. Similar in some areas to Cyril Rioli at the same age but Cyril did way more work around the ground and had more impact, more often. 

He's doing okay without setting the world on fire. But he looked great in round 1 and stifled his own momentum a bit.

• Like 2