GAMEDAY: Rd 15 vs Geelong

Demonland

9 minutes ago, binman said:

No, i 100% agree Tomo is very unlucky to be dropped.

I think he had his best game at the club last week, and if i was giving Brownlow votes i would have given him a vote. 

My guess is he will come back in for the Giants game next week. 

So is the theory that Petty is coming in to play back because of match-ups specific to Geelong, but next week Petty goes forward replacing Smith and Tomlinson comes in to replace Petty down back?

• Thinking 2

2 hours ago, Demonland said:

Hope we haven't used all of our win for the ages tickets out at Kardinia Park but if we have I will still be content with this one.

Thanks a bunch Andy, coz who doesn’t luvs them a good ol’ fashioned hearty pre-lunch cry every now and then, amirite?!

🥺😭🙃

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
Hadda add emojis lest anyone thinks I’m seriously having a go at Andy 🙄
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Thanks a bunch Andy, coz who doesn’t luvs them a good ol’ fashioned hearty pre-lunch cry every now and then, amirite?!

What time do you have to head down there WCW ?

Just surprised at the selection of Petty over Tomlinson 

I have always thought Tommo best was better than Petty and I thought KB was a fantastic game by him.

thought petty would come back via Casey 

but I am not at the practice and not a selector, my vision is mostly on the tv,

but glad Smith is still there  sheet I hope he stays fit.   X factor in my view

go Dees 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

Just now, Sydney_Demon said:

So is the theory that Petty is coming in to play back because of match-ups specific to Geelong, but next week Petty goes forward replacing Smith and Tomlinson comes in to replace Petty down back?

My theory is Petty will play forward, Gus back and they run with only two talls down back.

But i concede the more likely scenario is that Petts will play back (and if so it makes the dropping Tomo les an issue as few would argue Pety is the better option in defence, even with Tomo's form last week).

If i'm right, Tomo comes back in next week as a defender and Petts remains a forward. Not sure where that leaves Smith.

If i'm wrong, and Petts plays back tonight, he goes forward nect week and Tomo comes back in to play down back. Again, not sure where that leaves Smith.

On Smith, i have a feeling that they might try to engineer a scenario where he remains in the side, even with Petty (or Tmac, or Brown) as a third tall. Maybe a hybrid tall medium. 

• Like 1

Just now, loges said:

What time do you have to head down there WCW ?

I’m actually not going tonight. ☹️
I have to do that thing, what’s it called again, oh yeah… parenting. 😁

My son is performing at his school music festival tonight and really wants me to be there. Besides that, it’s his 18th birthday today.

If I had to choose one match I can’t attend this’d be it. I’m not exactly lamenting being unable to go to Mordor to be treated like scum by the most unwelcoming ground staff on the planet in the most inhospitable arena on the planet with the most hostile hosts on the planet. 

• Like 6
  • Love 7
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, Demonland said:

I just want to enjoy an entire weekend. Is that too much to ask? Get it done Dees.

Have you been brainwashed by the AFL to believe that Friday is actually part of the weekend?

I'll let out my inner curmudgeon and for the record repeat what I've previously said...I detest Thursday night football, whoever is playing. I know "detest" is a strong word, but its use here is considered and deliberate.

Edited by La Dee-vina Comedia
typo
  • Like 1
  • Clap 1

40 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

🥺😭🙃

Trac's tears after that game are my favourite memory of that season apart from the obvious. It showed how much it meant to him and that he was one of us.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, binman said:

My theory is Petty will play forward, Gus back and they run with only two talls down back.

But i concede the more likely scenario is that Petts will play back (and if so it makes the dropping Tomo les an issue as few would argue Pety is the better option in defence, even with Tomo's form last week).

If i'm right, Tomo comes back in next week as a defender and Petts remains a forward. Not sure where that leaves Smith.

If i'm wrong, and Petts plays back tonight, he goes forward nect week and Tomo comes back in to play down back. Again, not sure where that leaves Smith.

On Smith, i have a feeling that they might try to engineer a scenario where he remains in the side, even with Petty (or Tmac, or Brown) as a third tall. Maybe a hybrid tall medium. 

I think they might start the night with Petty forward with Smith and see how that looks for the future (dry September MCG) However if our defence leaks then we can switch Petty back and then see how that performs. I still think it's possible to play 3 talls back and forward.

Edited by Roost it far

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

My son is performing at his school music festival tonight and really wants me to be there. Besides that, it’s his 18th birthday today.

If I had to choose one match I can’t attend this’d be it. I’m not exactly lamenting being unable to go to Mordor to be treated like scum by the most unwelcoming ground staff on the planet in the most inhospitable arena on the planet with the most hostile hosts on the planet. 

Good on you mate. But surely West Coast or Adelaide or Port are more inhospitable and hostile than that mob?

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

I have always thought Tommo best was better than Petty and I thought KB was a fantastic game by him.

Surprised at your view that Tommo is better than Petty. I accept Tommo was great against Collingwood but was ordinary one-on-one the previous week against Mackay.

57 minutes ago, binman said:

Interesting theory for tonight. With Tomlinson coming into the side my conclusion was that Melbourne had given up on the idea of 2 key backs, and instead had reverted to 3. At face value it would seen strange to revert to 2 for the Geelong game with Hawkins, Cameron & Rohan as opposition although with wet weather predicted.... I guess all will be revealed tonight.   

41 minutes ago, biggestred said:

I think Smith will get the job on Cameron. 

So Smith back, Petty forward. Smith I think would be a good match-up for Cameron athletically but can lose contact on occasion (do you remember him as a match-up for Charle Cameron?) and has been playing forward all season for Casey.

27 minutes ago, BangBnagBang said:

Rivers

Not Brayshaw, Petty or Smith? Lots of options. I hope they choose the right one 😀

• Like 3

Heading down the highway again where I hold a 2-11-1 record in terms of MFC success. What's the definition where you keep doing something and expect a different result?

Highlights include watching us kick 4 goals in an entire game of footy in 2013 in pouring rain, Getting beaten after the siren, getting beaten by 80 points the following year where we all thought we were flag contenders and fare-welling the coach that got us back to AFL relevance with an 111 point belting.

(by some sheer stroke of luck or destiny I pulled out of 186)

Other than that I'm supremely confident.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 12

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I trust you've googled up some suggestions on what's involved in this unfamiliar activity WCW ?

• Haha 6

Once over the shock of a player being dropped after a best-for-the-club performance, I’ve come to like the selections. Always going to be hard to play Tomo, Petty and Smith and in wet conditions it’s unnecessary. 

If match fit, Petty has to play AFL. He’s the better defender and can play forward. From a small sample size, Smith has shown as much promise as a forward as Petty. Moreover, he has a transformative effect on the forward line with his ability to play tall and small. He must be given more opportunity. 

This leaves us with the option of swinging Petty forward or back depending on matchups, conditions and how the game is unfolding. I like this flexibility for September. 

Edited by speed demon
Typo
  • Like 8

30 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I trust you've googled up some suggestions on what's involved in this unfamiliar activity WCW ?

I have, actually. Once you get past the changing dirty nappies phase It seems it’s smooth sailing for the rest of the journey! That is, if you lay the right foundations. 😉 I have three beautiful sons who have been nothing but an absolute joy to raise. I’m ridiculously proud of the men they’ve become. I manufacture great humans, even if I do say so myself. 😁

just a crying shame none of them like footy 😭

• Like 7
  • Clap 1

2 hours ago, 640MD said:

but I am not at the practice and not a selector, my vision is mostly on the tv,

but glad Smith is still there  sheet I hope he stays fit.   X factor in my view

go Dees 

No way Tomlinson is a better player than Petty.  Petty is one of the most reliable players on our team and Tomlinson is not 

Just now, Demonland said:

Please do not post unsubstantiated rumours. 

This. 
How about you get some real proof before posting defamatory rubbish about one of our greatest ever players. 

He has gone in for scans again on his hamstring. 
It is possible that ramping up his training post hospital stay he’s felt something in the hamstring again. He isn’t the first player to miss 4 week with a hamstring injury ffs!

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

9 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’m ridiculously proud of the men they’ve become. I manufacture great humans, even if I do say so myself. 😁

just a crying shame none of them like footy 😭

And to think i was about to applaud your raising efforts with a 10/10...

Here We Go Fight GIF by New Line Cagefighting

• Haha 1