POSTGAME: Rd 04 vs West Coast

Demonland

1 hour ago, Sydee said:

might be that if you start on the boundary there is only one direction you can move - start in the middle you can go two ways 

Swans did that to us on a couple of occasions resulting in goals. It worked because our zone defence ignored the player on the boundary because in that position he was unlikely to score. The player ran laterally quickly to receive. Obvious set play.

If you put Kozzie on the boundary he would be marked so  I doubt it would work

15 minutes ago, fr_ap said:

Yes, I and a few with me thought the same. 

I am a little scarred here - we now know Jackson visited Perth/Freo facilities over the mid-season break and when he came back he was never as engaged again. I don't think any of us really picked up on the cues but he was a far less emotive player than Kossie. His form certainly declined. 

There were discussions that Pickett was meeting family to discuss his future over the period of his suspension. I hope the look on his face doesnt reflect an outcome of that discussion, but I'm not at all filled with confidence.  

I think I read or heard that he is only meeting family in Adelaide this weekend during the festival of BS round. Believe he didn’t want to talk contracts during his suspension as he wanted to focus on getting fit and planning his return. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SPC said:

I think I read or heard that he is only meeting family in Adelaide this weekend during the festival of BS round. Believe he didn’t want to talk contracts during his suspension as he wanted to focus on getting fit and planning his return. 

This is what I’ve heard too. The Club have planned a presentation of sorts in a bid to convince him to stay. Uncle Byron has been enlisted to this end. 🤞🏼 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

And if it is, so be it get the best you can for him, the world won't cave in, this year we have a big hand with draft picks it will be interesting,  I hope he stays myself but it's a business now clubs move on contracted players so why should they be the same.

And get two first round picks and a decent replacement out of Port or whomever it may be

8 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

This is what I’ve heard too. The Club have planned a presentation of sorts in a bid to convince him to stay. Uncle Byron has been enlisted to this end. 🤞🏼 

I feel for Koz. As much as neither party would like to admit it, there is a lot of pressure I'm sure between the club and family around his decision. Uncle Byron getting involved and apparently bidding for Melbourne sounds great but who knows how the rest of the family feel about that. I just hope its not causing any sort of tension or conflict within the family which would obviously affect Kozzy.

In my original post, I didn't want to speculate as there are many reasons he might have looked a bit down on the weekend. Just hope he's OK and getting what he needs at the moment whether thats space and/or support from club/family.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Young Blood said:

I feel for Koz. As much as neither party would like to admit it, there is a lot of pressure I'm sure between the club and family around his decision. Uncle Byron getting involved and apparently bidding for Melbourne sounds great but who knows how the rest of the family feel about that. I just hope its not causing any sort of tension or conflict within the family which would obviously affect Kozzy.

In my original post, I didn't want to speculate as there are many reasons he might have looked a bit down on the weekend. Just hope he's OK and getting what he needs at the moment whether thats space and/or support from club/family.

I also thought he appeared not quite himself on Sunday. I was hoping I was imagining it so didn’t mention it to any of the others watching the game. But now that you and a couple of others have touched on it, I’m sure he was out of sorts. He looked like someone with something weighing heavily on his mind. Probably because he is. I feel sorry for him. It’s a lot of pressure for a young person. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

On 4/10/2023 at 1:30 PM, D4Life said:

I know Kossie missed a few shots, but he looks so good running with the ball and disposing it to advantage, just terrific to watch him play!!

A few Demonlanders commented Kossie was down on Sunday made me wonder, as I only got to see the highlights and his speed and ball movement were terrific, he kicked 2.5 so could have easily had 4 or 5 goals, so look forward to seeing what he does when he is up and about!!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Young Blood said:

Did anyone else find that Kozzy looked a bit flat on the weekend?

Understabily he's not going to be over the moon kicking 5 behinds and the two he did kick were after the fact. But I did think he just looked less emotionally engaged then usual.

Still so effective and will be so so important against the best teams to give us an edge. I understand there's a lot going on for him at the moment and hope he's coping ok.

I think he's still getting used to the extra running required for the midfield role 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I also thought he appeared not quite himself on Sunday. I was hoping I was imagining it so didn’t mention it to any of the others watching the game. But now that you and a couple of others have touched on it, I’m sure he was out of sorts. He looked like someone with something weighing heavily on his mind. Probably because he is. I feel sorry for him. It’s a lot of pressure for a young person. 

He looked like a player who missed 2 weeks through suspension & therefore a bit of gameday form. As the game progressed so did his touch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deestar9 said:

He looked like a player who missed 2 weeks through suspension & therefore a bit of gameday form. As the game progressed so did his touch. 

I hope that’s all it was. We’ve seen players come back from suspension and there’s not such a discernible change in their demeanour. I guess we’ll find out soon enough. 

Kossie needs to make his decision so he can focus on his footy. The longer he leaves it the more energy he uses up and the greater the distraction is. Of course, he could have made his mind up already...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Deestar9 said:

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I hope that’s all it was. We’ve seen players come back from suspension and there’s not such a discernible change in their demeanour. I guess we’ll find out soon enough. 

Of course there will be plenty of MFCSS in people's assessment of everything that Kozzie does from now until he signs or leaves.

Just maybe he is feeling extra cautious in the circumstances 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, BDA said:

Kossie needs to make his decision so he can focus on his footy. The longer he leaves it the more energy he uses up and the greater the distraction is. Of course, he could have made his mind up already...

BDA, if the standard of the 2 games Kossie has played are a result of him being “distracted”, then I hope he doesn’t make a decision till after our grand final!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Salems Lot said:

I found myself sitting next to a Cats supporter yesterday (I drifted in to watch a non MFC game for only the second time in 50 years of football attendance).  He asked me if I remembered the last quarter of the last round of 2021?  Remember? Remember?? I nearly choked on my cheese platter!!

I have a Geelong friend that I see maybe once every couple months. Every single time we catch up he brings up to me R23 and the Prelim from 2021. He's terribly scarred from it, say's he's never seen a team treat the cats like that before. 

Last time I saw him was opening game R1 Gee Vs Pies and all he was still talking about during the game was how scary Melbourne are. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, FritschyBusiness said:

I have a Geelong friend that I see maybe once every couple months. Every single time we catch up he brings up to me R23 and the Prelim from 2021. He's terribly scarred from it, say's he's never seen a team treat the cats like that before. 

Last time I saw him was opening game R1 Gee Vs Pies and all he was still talking about during the game was how scary Melbourne are. 🤣

They were lucky not to face us in the finals last year.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Poor bloke, not even a flag could cure that ailment it seems. 

• Haha 5

Watched the replay and I have to say that Pickett did very well after not playing for 2 weeks. He kicked two Sausage rolls and quite a few points. Of the latter 2 were very close and one was a poster. Could have easily ended the day with 5 or six.

He is such an incredible talent at such an early stage. Expecting him to have a huge season this year.

Speaking of goals we also have a high number of players that are kicking them and don't rely on a full fwd to win a game for us. I can't remember us kicking over 100 points in 3 out of our first 4 games.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

I can't remember us kicking over 100 points in 3 out of our first 4 games.

Apparently it is the first time in the clubs history they have won by 50 points in 3 of first 4.

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

14 hours ago, D4Life said:

A few Demonlanders commented Kossie was down on Sunday made me wonder, as I only got to see the highlights and his speed and ball movement were terrific, he kicked 2.5 so could have easily had 4 or 5 goals, so look forward to seeing what he does when he is up and about!!

When I said he looked down I didn't mean his form. He was brilliant on the weekend!

Just that he looked less emotionally animated than usual. Used to seeing him smile and really enjoy his teammates more. Hopefully, it was just the one off :)

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

13 hours ago, BDA said:

I really hate the ethos of this post. You say he is distracted - he seems pretty effing tracted to me and his direct opponents. You intimate he has made his mind up already and that is tantamount to saying he has decide to leave - that mindset is self fulfilling for the club. 

And lastly, this hand wringing is less to do with Kozzie and more to do with the fans of a club that is wholly unused to having a great young players. Thank JEBUS Petracca and Oliver signed up until the QLD Olympics with more than a year to go on their contracts. But that does not mean that all have to follow the same trajectory - we need to calm down and not burn our young on the altar of what they ‘might’ do - the club is bigger than that. Isn’t it?

• Clap 1

14 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

I think he's still getting used to the extra running required for the midfield role 

And the tension between going balls out the way he plays the game and reigning it in a bit so he doesn't pokeaxe someone into next week and cop another suspension 🤣

• Haha 1