• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

I’m not posting during games any more!

gregdemon

Saying ludicrous things about the team and/or players is part of the experience of watching. All you can do is look back and laugh. 

• Like 2

What happens in the game thread stays on the game thread.

It's good to be passionate, but sometimes it causes us we see things through a certain lense that' isn't what is happening and react.  We all do it.  As long as people dont get bagged over it, it's okay. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chookrat said:

Lets hope chatGTP does not trawl through game day threads for its sporting nous.

This is a really interesting observation.

I actually think that overt emotion will become the defining factor of human expression in the next 100 years. As we move into a phase of easily acquired AI content only irrationality will help us sort the human from the simulated.

The Demonland game day thread may well become the Rosetta Stone of our times.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Thinking 1

Silly comments? On the internet? Crazy talk.

Game day thread is mostly purely the emotions of what’s happening during the game, often what’s expressed is hyperbolic and in the moment as it all goes so quickly. 

I feel like the doom posting from some is an underlying genuine fear, that this once in a generation team is all a dream and that any week now, it’s all going to come crashing down and it will be another 50 years before another flag win. Posting (much like the wider internet) gives people the illusion of control.

It’s going to be over the top as it’s people posting from emotions which is fine by me as long as it’s not hateful or vitriolic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gregdemon said:

I made a fool of myself posting dumb comments during swans game. No excuse just get too involved in watching game (and angry)  Apologies all round   Type things spur of the moment that I do not mean.  NO more posting till after or before match   Brillant effort by all concerned against the swans.   I love my boys in blue and red   Go Dees

GW

And in further news passionate supporter is passionate about their team.

Wouldn't have it any other way, mon ami.

If it makes you feel better this Vic born and bred boy found himself in the middle of NSW heartland last weekend yelling out in the last quarter - this is no longer a touch up, you pretend club -this is a seeing to. Now get the [censored] off our MCG'

That I'm alive is the assumption that no-one up there could speak English from multiple rugby head knocks.

• Haha 2

Anything goes in the gameday thread. It's like a mosh pit at a rock concert, you might get shoved over but you don't hold it against the shover.

The gameday thread shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, old55 said:

I couldn't be there so foolishly visited the gameday thread for some insight.  There's really no excuse or explanation for the stupidity posted in there except for stupidity.

I post in there often and have never posted anything stupid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

This is a really interesting observation.

I actually think that overt emotion will become the defining factor of human expression in the next 100 years. As we move into a phase of easily acquired AI content only irrationality will help us sort the human from the simulated.

The Demonland game day thread may well become the Rosetta Stone of our times.

Nah, not enough data in the game day threads to be taken seriously. The NoT$NoB$ thread on the other hand ....

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

The comments in the thread get too personal and abusive at times. When this happens, it’s called out.

Posters who make a point of not posting in the thread are pompous and smug in my opinion. Spare me. You’re not better than us gameday posters, you just think you are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

36 minutes ago, darkhorse72 said:

What happens in the game thread stays on the game thread.

It's good to be passionate, but sometimes it causes us we see things through a certain lense that' isn't what is happening and react.  We all do it.  As long as people dont get bagged over it, it's okay. 

I find threads like these irritating. I feel like they just give people who don't go in the gameday thread a chance to say how good they are for not doing it and to say how stupid/negative all of us who do post in there are.

I go in the gameday thread pretty regularly and comment mainly on passages of play that I thought were good, every now and then a little over the top. Let it go.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gregdemon said:

I made a fool of myself posting dumb comments during swans game. No excuse just get too involved in watching game (and angry)  Apologies all round   Type things spur of the moment that I do not mean.  NO more posting till after or before match   Brillant effort by all concerned against the swans.   I love my boys in blue and red   Go Dees

GW

Greggles… going temporarily insane is what it’s all about. Do not stop. 

• Like 1

I love The Gameday Threads. Pure literary genius. 
Particularly when o/s it is a great way to stay connected. 
I love it when some random says “Game Over” and you realize it’s the 2nd Quarter and we are up by 5 points! 
Gameday Posters expect Melbourne to win every contested possession, never drop a mark and to pin point every kick, no matter how much pressure is being applied 

i try to be positive on Gameday Threads. It’s a lot easier now than 10-12 years ago. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I've got nothing too much for or against the game day thread or it's posters.

Use to play around in there a bit when I was interstate And watching the game by myself on the couch.  The biggest thing I have against it that I did then, even as I do now, is that I find it too distracting from the game to post and watch at the same time, which somewhat takes the enjoyment out of both. 

Particularly now we win so often, I find the game pretty much speaks for its self.

• Like 1

Always enjoy the gameday thread.
For me up here in the bush watching the games by myself I enjoy the virtual reality of watching the game in a room full of supporters who've all been through the same sheet.
Sharing the highs and lows.

Go the Demons.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Kudos for the thread. I like people that are capable of self reflection.

Think last Sunday was particularly bad. The comments directed at Viney, Tracc and Oliver were completely nuts!

The THINK principle experts use in social media is a good one for fan site posters!:

T - is it true?

H - is it harmful?

I - is it inspiring?

N - is it necessary?

K - is it kind?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, old55 said:

There's plenty of stupid stuff said there too but committing it to writing is extra stupid

Sorry, you don't get it.

Love the gameday threads. When you're not able to attend it's the closest thing to sitting in the MCG terraces surrounded by passionate and sometimes slightly inebriated supporters (and the odd nuffy).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Sometimes I wonder how my missus copes with my rants and antics when I am watching the Dees. I am definitely a very lucky guy 😁

Ditto.   My old dog would get up and leave the room when ever football was on the TV.

my wife just tunes out. 
lucky unlucky love hate. All the same stick/emotions just the other end. 

She does wonder why I watch or stay to the end when it’s obvious we are beaten or not playing well.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, demon3165 said:

No the thing I can never understand when getting beaten in the midfield they leave the same set-up instead of stopping the bleeding change the match ups or stand in different positions just slow it down.

The swans gave up the ghost in the last quarter but was happy they left JVR on the ground,  fristch has to stop flying with everyone and do what he does best, lead and isolate his opponent to be one on one marking contest and was happy with Petty creating a contest to bring the ball to ground.

They still have a problem with transferring the ball but I think that will take a bit of time because they have been used to playing one side of the ground and we saw that again Sunday when thing tightened up but what was positive was Chandler, McVee dishing it off as first option and making good decisions. 

Sparrow And Viney have to stop trying to take on their opposition all the time and running back into trouble dish it off for gods sake.

I don't post in games day threads, or even if read it - even when watching live on TV.

It distracts me 

I don’t talk much to anyone when watching the game either. I'm concentrating.

But I'm guessing there is a community of sorts that regularly post in game day threads. And they enjoy it - even the silinness and hot takes.

What happens in the game day thread, stays in the game day thread.

Each to their own.

And posters get a pass for most hot takes given the passion and high emotion (which I completely share too).

But three days post game leaves plenty of time for more sober reflection.

So I'm happy to say 80% of this post is absolute rubbish.

Case study one:

'They still have a problem with transferring'

Total bollocks.

In fact we are NUMBER ONE in the AFL in this exact stat. 

Four slots above everybody's fast transfer darlings the pies, even though they have one more win than us and in our loss to the lions we were well down on that stat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, gregdemon said:

GW

We've all done it. Just proves your passion for the game mate and this post...your love of the club. Go Dees.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hemingway said:

But guys it’s footy. 
It’s full of emotion, opinions and nonsense. 
Normally rational people, become intoxicated with the whole thing and quickly move between Jekyll  and Hyde. It’s crazy but that’s footy and that’s people. We all have a bit of white line fever. I’m a quiet reflective guy but I was a raving lunatic on Sunday. 

I have a mild mannered Aunty in her 80s who turns into the hulk at the footy. She's a swans supporter but certainly gets her monies worth at a game.

We always joke that we can hear her from the opposite side of the ground.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2