TRAINING: Friday 11th February 2022

picket fence

39 minutes ago, Scoop Junior said:

Unfortunately it was difficult given the viewing position to really get a good gauge on some of the younger players.

Howes - I liked some of the things he did. Didn’t do a lot, understandably as a first year player against the strong blue team, but a few times he got the ball he made really quick decisions, once with a rapid handball almost as soon as he got it. Showed some good awareness in those situations. Unfortunately the highlights video captured the occasion when he got caught holding the ball! Needs to build his body in the gym but will be an interesting watch.

Dunstan - Won some ball, but didn’t really stand out for mine. Difficult though being part of a well beaten midfield against the somewhat first string blue team getting silver service from Max. 

McVee - Didn’t notice him much. Don’t think he was on the ground the whole time. Showed a bit of toe on one occasion when taking on the man on the mark. 

JVR - had a really difficult task, not only being starved of service but trying to impact as a first year forward against our A defence. But I actually thought he showed a bit given the circumstances and could easily have kicked 2 goals. Took a mark on the lead in the second term but missed from close range (although others also missed at that end with a somewhat tricky breeze). Had another chance with a snap which also missed. Will need time to learn and build his body but definitely shows something. 

Thanks mate much appreciated

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, adonski said:

McVee looks a natural

And get Rivers into the guts

Why we don't need Riv "in the guts".

One day in the future we may need need to switch him there during a game but I think Clarry Jack Trac and Co are doing just fine so are our wingers and centre men.

We ste developing depth in defence but if it's not broken don't need to fix it.

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I'm surprised they don't mix it up more. I mean I kinda get why they do it that way but at least halve the mids and have the first choice defenders on one team and the first choice forwards on the other maybe

They more than often mix it up as the session goes by. They are not that rigid not to be flexible. Give them some credit as it is mentioned often when players or " defence of the red team" changed .... !

Good point but we are so lucky to have smart Coaches ( and players) now. 

Thanks for the reports - really great work!

reading about our hit out, where our stars dominate, is so much better than the Roos report on AFL.com where a bloke who has played one game in 3 years and a new recruit are dominating.  If that is the best they have got… (we used to be in the same spot a few years back, hoping all new recruits would change the world).

I can only wonder how 30 goes into 23 - picking the team for round 1 wont be easy, and could have up to 5 changes from the GF team.  Imagine if we did that and got better again?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 58er said:

No wonder Parents didn't want their kids playing against Jack V when he was in under age footy. Might be the same for Intra Club practice match sim also!! 

Next Scott will be complaining that Selwood doesn't like playing on JV either

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, picket fence said:

Apologies for spelling mistakes and typos in original report. A bit lazy not to check, but I'm just keen to get it out there! No 39 Matt Buntine, this is interesting! anyone any S.P on this development. Have we got a spot left??

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Demonstone said:

I recently watched a documentary on marijuana.  It's the best way to watch docos.  :cool:

That is very humorous DS.

On 2/11/2022 at 4:20 PM, DeeSpencer said:

From the highlights video a few things stood out.

1. Clarry is such a transition weapon

2. Luke Jackson isn’t done doing crazy things for a guy his size

3. Howes is getting a rude initiation to the core strength required for afl footy. Not a bad thing.

4. Weid is clearly hungry, but defenders also know they can take him on out the other way.

5. Chandler sets up 2 goals despite botching them originally. He’s got tricks to get out of trouble. Now he has to learn to stop getting in trouble so much 

That's well put re Chandler. And very true. He's not far away. Will play this year at some stage. He's got the appetite.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, adonski said:

Chandler reminds me of Baker, potentially an AFL level talent but makes too many unforced errors to get there 

They're a bit different to me.

Baker has one excellent trait which is lovely burst speed. But has otherwise been too flawed with a lack of tank, suspect field kicking and poor contested ability and pressure. He's been working hard on those deficiencies though and the standout trait is still dangerous and rare.

Chandler doesn't really have one standout trait. He's got a bit of a leap and burst and tackles pretty well but overall he's just got a number of solid attributes to play half forward. Pretty similar to someone like Spargo. Spargo had a bit more of a tank and smarts but really it took until last season for his clean skills at training to shine through on game day. ANB took even longer to start making quality decisions across half forward. It's the trickiest position to play especially when using the ball and finding that balance with how much you can take on is tricky.

• Like 3

On 2/11/2022 at 3:50 PM, DeeSpencer said:

The footage of Jackson burning off Max, wow he looks even better! 

Oh and c’mon Jack, leave the laying opponents out to the real stuff! 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Given we're using AFL umpires, can we discern any difference in the way the game is being umpired? For example, is the supposed change to the holding the ball interpretation changing the way the game is being played?

I can answer that, the answer is I have seen no discernable difference in the way the game is played BUT players are more aware than ever of running the lines. That is except for Clarry and Trac who are almost untackleable!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know its only Wednesday, but I am so longing for Friday's dose of the Picket report! Luv the intros. And while we've had the "Lost in Space" and "Star Trek" themes to date, I have this mental image of Picket as being more our "Resident Alien" - he is definitely from another planet, but we luv him anyway!

• Like 2