Training Ground?

Romey

8 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

I am still going to keep bugging the MFC board until this project has been completed.

We cannot let up on this issue.

Every other AFL club has a home base but us! It is an absolute disgrace and must be rectified!

Collingwood had Victoria Park and now Olympic Park with its multi-million dollar administration and training base known as the Holden Centre.

Carlton have Princes Park.

Richmond have Punt Road Oval. Which is getting an $85 million dollar upgrade I think?

Western Bulldogs have Whitten Oval and another upcoming training base in the Western suburbs of Melbourne which is getting paid for with Government money.

Geelong have Kardinia Park or whatever it is called now? GMHBA stadium?

Hawthorn had Glenferrie Oval, currently Waverley Park in Mulgrave and will have a massive new multi-million dollar ($50 million?) home base being built in Dingley. I drove past it over the weekend and it is a massive piece of land!

Essendon have Windy Hill and Essendon Fields known as "the Hangar" which is a huge multi-million dollar facility.

North Melbourne have Arden Street Oval.

St. Kilda had Junction Oval, the Moorabbin Oval, then Seaford and are now back at Moorabbin Oval.

Whereas our club, the Melbourne Demons are basically AFL nomads. Our spiritual home is the MCG but we cannot even train there. We were temporarily at Junction Oval for over 20 years. Then we moved to Gosch's Paddock after Collingwood had the Holden Centre at Olympic Park completed. We also have Casey Fields in Cranbourne East which has been wonderful for us. The MCG sized training oval there has been wonderful for us.

Nevertheless, we still need a place to combine both our administration, training and a social club. Let's hope this can be done by the MFC board in the next 5 to 10 years. Getting our home base completed will be almost as significant as winning a Premiership as we will finally have a place that property belongs to the Melbourne Demons.

While breaking our Premiership drought of 57 years has been the ultimate achievement. We will judge the current MFC board on whether or not they can achieve this incredibly significant task of a home base.

I've always admired the MFC's insistence on having a home base in the Melbourne precinct. This is unfortunately easier said than done due to the lack of opportunities in the area but I like that we haven't given up on it. The Dingley facility may be incredible for the Hawks but for me there's always been a tinge of sadness that it is miles away from their true precinct and spiritual home. 

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

3 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Just heard on the news that AAMI park is getting a 25 million dollar upgrade. Are we getting something in this? 

It's all at the stadium and in support of next year's World Cup

Things like change rooms, corporate boxes, wifi, supporter comfort (probably toilets). You don't get much excitement for $25M it seems.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Just heard on the news that AAMI park is getting a 25 million dollar upgrade. Are we getting something in this? 

you’d think, if we were,  it would have been announced by the club along with it. If we’re not then we’re frikn nowhere near it. 

• Sad 2

Listening to Kate Roffey on the Debrief podcast has certainly dampened my hopes about getting something done any time soon. She basically said Pert and herself are committed to finding the "answer" to the home base location before ending their terms. So they haven't even got agreement on where it should be yet let alone agreement on funding. Sounds like it is still years away - if it ever happens ☹️

• Like 4
  • Shocked 2
  • Angry 1

34 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Listening to Kate Roffey on the Debrief podcast has certainly dampened my hopes about getting something done any time soon. She basically said Pert and herself are committed to finding the "answer" to the home base location before ending their terms. So they haven't even got agreement on where it should be yet let alone agreement on funding. Sounds like it is still years away - if it ever happens ☹️

We seem to just be going around in circles, every other club/ organisation seem to be getting enormous amounts of funding except us. We need to identify a realistic site, draw the plans and sell it to the government while we are the best version of mfc I can remember. If not now when?

• Like 5

Toorak Park about to undergo major redevelopment. I know we explored this as a potential site many years ago. The boys even had a. Open training there, which was a huge success. Looks like the insistence to be next to the MCG May have seen another lost opportunity. I’ve always been of the view that Toorak Park would have been ideal. People bemoaned the lack of parking. It couldn’t be any worse than Goschs. There is a railway next door and two tram lines. Might be the one that got away

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Sounds ominous Dr, it would appear we are no closer than at any time in our past. Of course this insistence on having it a stone's throw from the G makes it next to impossible IMO. I have been of this opinion for years now.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

We have been told it is close for years. How long does it take to identify a location? Other clubs are even improving their better than our facilities.

I hope the flag hasn’t papered over the cracks.

Very disappointing. 

• Like 4

Honestly, if Kate can't get a govt announcement with funding by mid 2023 she needs to walk and let someone else try. Terrible that we still don't know anything even at this stage ... people might say its like watching grass grow ... but atleast the grass is doing something

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

Well it basically comes down to Government funding at all levels. I just saw North's facilities were upgraded through council funding, because it incorporated community facilities. 

It's difficult to put forward a case for a training facility close to the CBD when there's no votes to be gained. We have more chance of getting funding for a facility out at Casey.

• Like 1

I have been hearing the same story for 30 years at the AGM.  From Ridley to Bartlett through the years, the same story.  And now we are hearing the same again. Two years ago Pert and Bartlett said we would have an answer in 12 months.  1 year later we are told they can't say anything under government instructions.

Something coming, something being negotiated.  Caulfield, Elsternwick Park, Junction oval, even digging up Yarra Park. 

All have come to nothing.  Dogs another $30M to redevelop.  Richmond $65M to redevelop, Hawthorn $120M to build, Adelaide similar:

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1206857/new-facility-update

..and these are clubs with existing training and admin facilities. 

Edited by george_on_the_outer
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

I have been hearing the same story for 30 years at the AGM.  From Ridley to Bartlett through the years, the same story.  And now we are hearing the same again. Two years ago Pert and Bartlett said we would have an answer in 12 months.  1 year later we are told they can't say anything under government instructions.

Something coming, something being negotiated.  Caulfield, Elsternwick Park, Junction oval, even digging up Yarra Park. 

All have come to nothing.  Dogs another $30M to redevelop.  Richmond $65M to redevelop, Hawthorn $120M to build, Adelaide similar:

Very good summation ... although thinking about all those clubs makes me sick

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Redleg said:

We have been told it is close for years. How long does it take to identify a location? Other clubs are even improving their better than our facilities.

I hope the flag hasn’t papered over the cracks.

Very disappointing. 

I am confident it has occupied a lot of members minds and they have forgotten about it in the short  term. It is time we forgot about this close to G rubbish. Casey or somewhere 10- 15 KMs from the CBD if possible 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

It's beyond embarrassing that this club doesn't have a home base. At some point, and sooner rather than later, this board has to produce some kind of a plan or get out of the way and let someone else have a go.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

Covers it well George. I would have thought it was more than 30 years. It's gut wrenching actually. 

12 minutes ago, BDA said:

It's beyond embarrassing that this club doesn't have a home base. At some point, and sooner rather than later, this board has to produce some kind of a plan or get out of the way and let someone else have a go.

A plan that doesn't involve it being close to the G that opportunity vanished when Collingwood took over Olympic park. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Incredibly disappointing to hear.

As other clubs continue to get funding to revamp we can't even plan the [censored] seed for a shoot.

• Like 1

What the hell?!

What happened to the training base to be built near Gosch's Paddock?

Didn't we get the oval expanded for the very reason that we will eventually get a home base built there?!

If this isn't the case then I will definitely feel like we have been lied to!

I can understand that things will take time...but we need some hope of progress.

I hope that many Melbourne members (not just myself) will complain about this at the Melbourne Football Club's next AGM.

We cannot simply let this issue linger in limbo forever.

Besides winning Premierships our number 1# priority is for the Melbourne Football Club to finally get a home base built. No more excuses!

We have been waiting over 50+ years.

As much as we want to be in the MCG precinct if that isn't plausible we will need to bite the bullet and look at other alternatives such as the Caulfield Racecourse which is building a massive sports facility there.

Every other club in the AFL has a home base. It is time for us to have the same!

Edited by Supreme_Demon
  • Like 4

fwiw, orrong park / toorak park was not an option once the surrounding area was rezoned for residential

the reason other clubs keep getting more funding is because they already have pre-existing land and infrastructure to develop

we are essentially looking for a mythical green field

fwiw, not having a so-called 'home base' doesn't seem to damage our on- and off-field success of late

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Toorak Park about to undergo major redevelopment. I know we explored this as a potential site many years ago. The boys even had a. Open training there, which was a huge success. Looks like the insistence to be next to the MCG May have seen another lost opportunity. I’ve always been of the view that Toorak Park would have been ideal. People bemoaned the lack of parking. It couldn’t be any worse than Goschs. There is a railway next door and two tram lines. Might be the one that got away

Would be brilliant for me as I live in the other side of Toorak station in Rose Street. Decades ago we used to go there to all matches of the "Two Blues". I believe Jimmy started learning his craft there.

Edited by MT64
  • Like 1

Super disappointing that we're still talking about home bases for the MFC going into another finals campaign in 2022 as last year's reigning champs. 

Either something is pending approval at gov level or we're back to the drawing board and members haven't been informed. 

All fingers crossed its the former and we get the tick before the year is out. 

This is the kind of [censored] that sets your club back in more ways than one. 

• Like 2

So what was the 12 months plan?

How about explaining where it was to be  and why it failed.

Being told nothing is pretty poor, especially  from a Board that won’t let anyone else who might be able to help, get onto it.

This is a discreet issue that has we have been trying to solve for decades. What is the current situation?

• Like 5