Where there's smoke there's...

Goffer

When all the smoke clears away, it'll be Simon Goodwin who will deal with this hiccough in an appropriate and measured way. I would trust no one else to get this right. 

6 minutes ago, ignition. said:

I'm hoping the leadership group doesn't ban him as it will hurt the club as a whole.

I hope they throw the maximum fine at him and take away his privileges to visit home as frequently as he does.

In addition, I hope they're a little create. I'd like to see them make him run an additional training session once a week until seasons end that is optional for the other players to attend. It's then up to him. He can sulk and see it as a punishment, or take it on board, use initiative, try and convince his teammates to attend, and learn to become a leader/ role model for the younger players. If he does the later he may earn back his privileges.

Are you serious or taking the Pi..?

Mountain molehill.  Clearly he wouldn't be a smoker.  

A young player on leave puffs on a dart at a concert.  Not a great idea, but he's also under stress with an ill Father.

Poor decision, but let's not hyperventilate over it.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Nasher said:

He's a grown man, they can't pull the pin on anything of the sort. If they start trying to be all draconian on him, the club knows full well it will lose him. He's always going to want to go back to Perth, so be supportive and flexible about it. So long as he comes back fresh, fit and focused, who cares.

Honestly. The only thing the club should be doing is saying "mate, next time please make sure you save the dart until you get home". 

Really? I would hope the club says to him "you have a limited time in this game, so how about you be a professional and not do something that is very detrimental to both your health and your  fitness?" 

I have no issues with him going home to visit his dad, but when the club has gone out of their way to accommodate a player who has done a selfish thing and got himself suspended, and probably cost us 4 points on the weekend, and he uses that time to go smoking with mates in a public place, that is a slap in the face.

We have done nothing but support Jesse, in fact, we have gone above and beyond because of the potential player he could be. Would anyone cut this kind of slack to Watts? to McDonald? Imaging if Viney got caught doing this kind of thing. 

I know he's a kid, I know dealing with an ill parent must be awful, but gees he's pushing his luck here. You don't p*ss on the hand that feeds you. He might love the club and be motivated to succeed, but this looks like someone who doesn't give two shits about the club, and it's an awful look for our club, our sponsors and the supporters. 

I wouldn't go hanging him for this, but I would hope the club has a strong word to him about the ramifications of being caught smoking in public while on a forced holiday due to a damn silly suspension.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, ignition. said:

I'm hoping the leadership group doesn't ban him as it will hurt the club as a whole.

I hope they throw the maximum fine at him and take away his privileges to visit home as frequently as he does.

In addition, I hope they're a little create. I'd like to see them make him run an additional training session once a week until seasons end that is optional for the other players to attend. It's then up to him. He can sulk and see it as a punishment, or take it on board, use initiative, try and convince his teammates to attend, and learn to become a leader/ role model for the younger players. If he does the later he may earn back his privileges.

You would make a great candidate for the new Witchfinder General. 

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Jesse, but the guy is just taking the [censored] at the moment, and the club needs to put a stop to it. He's not on a holiday or injury leave, he has been suspended for a stupid act and he should be working to repay the club for that.

By all means go home to see your sick father, but that is a lot different to attending a music festival (at the same time your team is playing, incidentally). By the way the website says the event was sold out - I'd be interested to know if it was sold out before he punched Rowe in the head.

I hope Jesse hasn't taken the attitude that he can do whatever the hell he wants because, if Melbourne get sick of him, another 17 teams will be throwing cash at him. Hopefully he comes back against Richmond with a point to prove.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, poita said:

I am a big fan of Jesse, but the guy is just taking the [censored] at the moment, and the club needs to put a stop to it. He's not on a holiday or injury leave, he has been suspended for a stupid act and he should be working to repay the club for that.

By all means go home to see your sick father, but that is a lot different to attending a music festival (at the same time your team is playing, incidentally). By the way the website says the event was sold out - I'd be interested to know if it was sold out before he punched Rowe in the head.

I hope Jesse hasn't taken the attitude that he can do whatever the hell he wants because, if Melbourne get sick of him, another 17 teams will be throwing cash at him. Hopefully he comes back against Richmond with a point to prove.

Just because a festival is sold out, doesn't mean it's difficult to get tickets at the last second. Jesse probably had a mate who had a spare one, or picked one up off FB. To infer that he'd planned to go to this festival on a day when he should have been playing against Geelong in Melbourne, before the fact, is ridiculous.

• Like 5

While by no means condoning the nicotine habit, imagine if players from the 60's and 70's were subject to such scrutiny????  I remember the days of the 1/4 and 3/4 time huddles, where the durries would could come out, along with the form guide and the trainers letting players know which horse won the 4th race at Flemington.  As they say, boys will be boys, so let's not go over the top with this one.  I can remember Tex Walker, a few years back, being filmed necking a crownie in the stands, while being out of the side injured.

He seemed to thrive afterwards and is flourishing today.

Edited by iv'a worn smith

Don't like seeing this but it's not the end of the world. As long as he comes back in good form ready to repay the club then it's a minor indiscretion. He's obviously going through a tough period with his fathers illness and having a cigarette isn't the end of the world. If it becomes habit then that's obviously a different matter. You'd think in this day and age though players would be smarter. They are educated better than ever and given more assistance too. 

Hopefully he comes back and has a ripping season as repayment. The 2 weeks off give him time to get over any niggles he may have had so there are no excuses not to perform to a higher standard this year. I expect him to break the 50 goal mark this year and will be disappointed if he doesn't. 

It is not a good look on a number of levels

1 Smokes, how commited to his fitness is he?

2 Our sponsor Vic Health is sure to be unimpressed.

3 Sets poor example for Kid's

But ok its a free world, he is dealing with issues, but also, he is an extremely highly paid professional sportsman! The optimum word here is is professional!

Edited by picket fence

2 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Cripes it is the Spanish inquisition in here

Glad you guys were never my parents. 

Lot worse things you can do thang light up a dart

( I miss 'em!!)

This.

The kid's under pressure with his old man seriously ill.

Not a hanging offence.

• Like 4

I think I must be one of the few on here who is stunned to find there are AFL players who still smoke. I can't reconcile the life of an elite player and all the emphasis and education on health with smoking cigarettes. It is just stupid and to do so in public is even more so. It sort of like Jesse just doesn't care. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

It's ok Gonz, I was working there as a Red Bull model.

I picked up the butt he threw on the ground. Saty bought it off me for $50. 

I wouldn't pay $50, I live round the corner from Jesse and the Mac brothers, I can get all the ciggie butts and wayward handballs I want for free

• Like 4

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

I wouldn't pay $50, I live round the corner from Jesse and the Mac brothers, I can get all the ciggie butts and wayward handballs I want for free

Does PF camp outside the McDonald's house in a swag? 

1 hour ago, fndee said:

I think I must be one of the few on here who is stunned to find there are AFL players who still smoke. I can't reconcile the life of an elite player and all the emphasis and education on health with smoking cigarettes. It is just stupid and to do so in public is even more so. It sort of like Jesse just doesn't care. 

Ah yep!

30 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Ill wager that Oscar gets outmanouvered by the same Butt and have you ever had a lace out pass from Tommy that hits you on the chest?