Jack Grimes

Tony Tea

Many bring up the period of 2007 onwards as being a terrible time merely for the win-loss record at the club. That is a reason as to why that era is bad but I think the fact that we let so many young men down is another reason. Blokes like Jack Grimes, Jack Trengrove, James Magner, Tom Couch, Cale Morton and others may have had a chance to have been decent AFL footballers had they not walked into a completely shambolic football club.

1 minute ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I love Jack Grimes. Very proud that he played for this club. Very relieved he played 100 games for us.

I second that, he's a top bloke and if he was coming in now I'm sure the outcome would be different. I look back on the Daniher era and wonder how well we would have gone with the players we had, if they were playing with the club the way it is today. 

God we've wasted some talent over the last 50 years and destroyed some careers along the way. 

• Like 3

I was one of many who thought it was a lucid moment in a terrible time when the two young Jack's were given the Captaincy of the MFC. Upon revision, it really just highlights how bad of a position the club was indeed in.

Jack alludes to this. The burden he and Jack Trengove had placed upon them was clearly ridiculous. We as supporters were looking through our rose coloured Melbournefc glasses,  thinking this was a stroke of brilliance and that the two young co-captains would provide the catalyst for bringing success to the club. How wrong we were.

Grimesy was in the right place at the wrong time. A Demon tragic playing for the club he loves at the elite level - the stuff dreams are made of.

Just a great bloke and I hope he has success with Hurstbridge. 

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 10

What struck me about the article is there is not one ounce of bitterness towards the club. Not that I would expect any from a top bloke like Jack.

In fact the closing lines say it all about Jack:  "Despite what he has been through, Grimes’ heart still beats true for the red and blue...I’m sure Melbourne is on the brink of having a really successful period, he said...I’ll still on the sidelines cheering for them and wishing my mates well.”

Pure class.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 23

Just a super bloke, and am I really glad to see him happily moving on with life, despite feeling as though he still has plenty to offer the club. I hope a few of those on our list who are seemingly happy to just coast along take note of how quickly your career can be taken away from you.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Many bring up the period of 2007 onwards as being a terrible time merely for the win-loss record at the club. That is a reason as to why that era is bad but I think the fact that we let so many young men down is another reason. Blokes like Jack Grimes, Jack Trengrove, James Magner, Tom Couch, Cale Morton and others may have had a chance to have been decent AFL footballers had they not walked into a completely shambolic football club.

I think one of the reasons we were shambolic was because they got players like Morton, Magner and Couch.  They weren't AFL standard. 

34 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Dylan Grimes has now played 79 games with Richmond and may, by the end of his career, play more than his older brother. Does anyone here think Dylan is a better footballer than Jack? I only make this comment to point out how badly Jack has been let down by the club that drafted him.

football ability wise pretty much on par overall, even if a little different in some aspects

I think the fact that Dylan is taller and can play as a key defender is the only thing that he has over his brother. If Jack was a similar height to Dylan I have no doubt that he would still be on the list, and along with TMac would have been seen as a key defensive pillar in the team 

Jack's disposal of the footy was the questionable part of his game, which would have been less of an issue if he was playing in a key defensive post.

I feel sorry that he was here through the bad times and as things turn he is not an active part of the club, but his contribution to the club along with Trenners at such a dark time will not be forgotten. 

• Like 2

Jack's and Dylan's careers are pretty similar when you consider how many games both have missed via injury.

I reckon on balance that Jack is the more natural footballer, while Dylan is the more natural athlete.

Put them together and you'd have a very handy player, albeit an injury prone one.

Jack lacked pace, which meant his kicking could be closed down. Dylan's pace would have allowed Jack to get out into space and deliver with less pressure.

Neither are great kicks, though. Are any of the other Grimes boys elite kicks? 

Better stop now before this hypothetical gets ridiculous. Or more ridiculous. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Magner and Couch don't fit into this scenario. They were both taken as mature age rookies, and no other club picked them up before or after us. Couch was a second round selection and Magner a third round selection. Couch played with Collingwood in the VFL and Magner got a gig with Essendon in the NAB cup when they needed replacements at the beginning of 2015, so they had a chance to see him first hand.

Both were poor kicks and pretty slow, especially Couch. 

Neither failed because of the Melb FC's shortcomings, rather the fact they got a chance at all was because of the clubs shortcomings.

12 hours ago, Dante said:

I second that, he's a top bloke and if he was coming in now I'm sure the outcome would be different. I look back on the Daniher era and wonder how well we would have gone with the players we had, if they were playing with the club the way it is today. 

God we've wasted some talent over the last 50 years and destroyed some careers along the way. 

Absolutely agree. Can you imagine how Grimes would turn out if we recruited him now? The saddest thing about being a Dees supporter over the past 40+ years is the amount of good footballers and good people we havd burnt. 

Edited by Maldonboy38
Really bad typing skills
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Absolutely agree. Can you imagine how Grimes would turn out if we recruited him now? The saddest thing about being a Dees supporter over the past 40+ years is the amount of good footballers and good people we havd burnt

You mean like generations of innocent football fans unlucky enough to have been goaded, forced or otherwise cajoled into following the Demons?

• Like 2