Jump to content

Jack Grimes


Tony Tea

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, Chook said:

You mean like generations of innocent football fans unlucky enough to have been goaded, forced or otherwise cajoled into following the Demons?

Yes, including us poor Demonlanders. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Absolutely agree. Can you imagine how Grimes would turn out if we recruited him now? The saddest thing about being a Dees supporter over the past 40+ years is the amount of good footballers and good people we havd burnt. 

 

Don't agree with this. Jack lacked elite talent in the context of the modern game. Great leader, great person, bad kick, slowish, poor decision maker, and as someone rightly mentioned the combination of this had a compounding effect, where Jack being slowish brought more pressure on his kicking and decision making (and options) in open play.

I was criticised over the past 4 or 5 years over at 'ology for being critical of Jack, the player, but I've maintained all through that period that we wouldn't play finals with Grimes in the team. He lacked an elite attribute physiologically. I don't think he'd excel if he came into the team as an 18 yo now, moreover, if he was at Geelong and Hawthorn during their golden eras, he wouldn't have played 100 games. Our most exciting talent either has power, skill or both. Think Hunt, Petracca, Oliver (wow) these guys all have elite attributes. Hunt ridiculous speed, Petracca power and x factor and Oliver with best hands at the club.

Put Jack Grimes' brain, passion and approach into Colin Sylvia's head. You'd have a player there!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, David Williamson said:

Don't agree with this. Jack lacked elite talent in the context of the modern game. Great leader, great person, bad kick, slowish, poor decision maker, and as someone rightly mentioned the combination of this had a compounding effect, where Jack being slowish brought more pressure on his kicking and decision making (and options) in open play.

I was criticised over the past 4 or 5 years over at 'ology for being critical of Jack, the player, but I've maintained all through that period that we wouldn't play finals with Grimes in the team. He lacked an elite attribute physiologically. I don't think he'd excel if he came into the team as an 18 yo now, moreover, if he was at Geelong and Hawthorn during their golden eras, he wouldn't have played 100 games. Our most exciting talent either has power, skill or both. Think Hunt, Petracca, Oliver (wow) these guys all have elite attributes. Hunt ridiculous speed, Petracca power and x factor and Oliver with best hands at the club.

Put Jack Grimes' brain, passion and approach into Colin Sylvia's head. You'd have a player there!

Decision making is an interesting one when it comes to player development.  It's interesting see how much time, energy and effort is now being put into educating the  players about our style and gameplan.  The way they are drilled about appropriate actions, patterns and choices makes this decision making become a mixture of instinct and muscle memory.  It is of course purely hypothetical, but can a player with questionable decision making succeed in an environment that drills the right decisions into the from the moment they enter the system?? 

It could be argued that's how Hawthorn has made so many average players on their list successful 'roleplayers'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have a look at the photos of Grimes in the sequence in this thread. He had an underdeveloped physical body. Have a look at his calves, for example. While I'm no expert in physical development, I would say we failed to develop his body properly for the demands of 21st century AFL football. If he'd been better developed, perhaps his skills may have improved. 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Williamson said:

Don't agree with this. Jack lacked elite talent in the context of the modern game. Great leader, great person, bad kick, slowish, poor decision maker, and as someone rightly mentioned the combination of this had a compounding effect, where Jack being slowish brought more pressure on his kicking and decision making (and options) in open play.

I was criticised over the past 4 or 5 years over at 'ology for being critical of Jack, the player, but I've maintained all through that period that we wouldn't play finals with Grimes in the team. He lacked an elite attribute physiologically. I don't think he'd excel if he came into the team as an 18 yo now, moreover, if he was at Geelong and Hawthorn during their golden eras, he wouldn't have played 100 games. Our most exciting talent either has power, skill or both. Think Hunt, Petracca, Oliver (wow) these guys all have elite attributes. Hunt ridiculous speed, Petracca power and x factor and Oliver with best hands at the club.

Put Jack Grimes' brain, passion and approach into Colin Sylvia's head. You'd have a player there!

Well we will have to disagree. Have a look at how the weak-bodied, tackling softy, mentally weak Jack Watts was under Neeld and is now after proper development. Yes,  they are different footballers, but Grimes' deficiencies would have been much mitigated with good development and coaching. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Williamson said:

Don't agree with this. Jack lacked elite talent in the context of the modern game. Great leader, great person, bad kick, slowish, poor decision maker, and as someone rightly mentioned the combination of this had a compounding effect, where Jack being slowish brought more pressure on his kicking and decision making (and options) in open play.

I was criticised over the past 4 or 5 years over at 'ology for being critical of Jack, the player, but I've maintained all through that period that we wouldn't play finals with Grimes in the team. He lacked an elite attribute physiologically. I don't think he'd excel if he came into the team as an 18 yo now, moreover, if he was at Geelong and Hawthorn during their golden eras, he wouldn't have played 100 games. Our most exciting talent either has power, skill or both. Think Hunt, Petracca, Oliver (wow) these guys all have elite attributes. Hunt ridiculous speed, Petracca power and x factor and Oliver with best hands at the club.

Put Jack Grimes' brain, passion and approach into Colin Sylvia's head. You'd have a player there!

 

Depends on your definition of elite but Grimes did have very good endurance. Endurance, work ethic and above average reading of the play were his strengths. If he was coming through the system again I'd see him somewhere like a Billy Stretch or ANB.

Stretch looks like making it because he's got the physical traits of above average endurance and speed and is very neat with his disposal on wing. ANB isn't quite as quick and is messier with the ball, much like Grimes he's had a few injuries as well, but not nearly as much as Grimes had as a young player.

If Grimes was trained in efficient kicking action and decision making from a young age and avoided the injuries he might've got to a level where he was a consistent AFL player. He certainly showed he could find the ball as a young player before regressing as the competition evolved and his decision making and disposal didn't hold up. 

I think his comments show he knew he wasn't up to it any longer But in some ways that makes him even more of a fantastic guy to own that fact and not resent the club.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2017 at 0:39 PM, Chook said:

You mean like generations of innocent football fans unlucky enough to have been goaded, forced or otherwise cajoled into following the Demons?

I have been following the dees since 1987, in that time the team has played in 12 final series 2 GF so it's not been all that bad,  but the last 10 years  have been lean.if it's that bad for u to follow my team put yourself out of torment and support the hawks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, don't make me angry said:

I have been following the dees since 1987, in that time the team has played in 12 final series 2 GF so it's not been all that bad,  but the last 10 years  have been lean.if it's that bad for u to follow my team put yourself out of torment and support the hawks

.....Who I hope have 10 lean years ahead of them....  would love to the the brown and yellow bandwagon tip over in the doggy do.

Grimes goes with my thanks and best wishes: for what he gave the club, and also for making the space for us to evolve beyond him.  Our next level to make finals is a significant step up from where Jack was at.

I wonder....if we knew H was going, would he have been given one more year at Casey?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 hours ago, don't make me angry said:

I have been following the dees since 1987, in that time the team has played in 12 final series 2 GF so it's not been all that bad,  but the last 10 years  have been lean.if it's that bad for u to follow my team put yourself out of torment and support the hawks

I can't. That's the whole point. For better or worse, I'm stuck here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Depends on your definition of elite but Grimes did have very good endurance. Endurance, work ethic and above average reading of the play were his strengths. If he was coming through the system again I'd see him somewhere like a Billy Stretch or ANB.

Stretch looks like making it because he's got the physical traits of above average endurance and speed and is very neat with his disposal on wing. ANB isn't quite as quick and is messier with the ball, much like Grimes he's had a few injuries as well, but not nearly as much as Grimes had as a young player.

If Grimes was trained in efficient kicking action and decision making from a young age and avoided the injuries he might've got to a level where he was a consistent AFL player. He certainly showed he could find the ball as a young player before regressing as the competition evolved and his decision making and disposal didn't hold up. 

I think his comments show he knew he wasn't up to it any longer But in some ways that makes him even more of a fantastic guy to own that fact and not resent the club.

I don't think jack was slow he just did not play with speed, to be a good to great player speed is not the key, urgency is the key, as Kennedy use to say don't think don't hope just do. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 44

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 20

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30

    VOTES: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Jake Lever, Jack Viney & Clayton Oliver make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 39

    POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demons were blown out of the water in the first quarter and clawed their way back into the contest but it was a case of too little too late as they lost another close one to Carlton losing by 1 point at the MCG.  

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 486

    GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 959
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...