2016 Player Review - # 29 Jayden Hunt

Demonland

After two years in the wilderness battling back injuries, the pacy Hunt made an immediate impact by running the lines through half back and kicking the ball often long and deep into attack.

Games MFC 2016 19

Career Total 19

Goals MFC 2016 3

Career Total 3

Games CSFC 2016 1

Goals CSFC 2016 1

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 230 votes (Tenth)

Brownlow Medal 1 vote

• Like 2

JH inspiring & we didn't have to get him from pies [ hello h ] !

There's hardly been a wrong decision since Junior McD was sent packing, that the club has made with the delisting, trading or in Hunts situation, persevering with players to improve the list.

I was sceptical about his worth to the team even when he was getting a bit of it in the Magoos but that was based on what I was reading, not viewing any live performances or footage.

I genuinely get a thrill when he gets the ball and lights up the afterburners.  

Can't wait to see what he brings next year.

• Like 1

I knew close to nothing about him and was very curious when a few called that he would be one of the big improvers of 2016. Very exciting, and has created some selection dilemmas for the future with the likes of Lumumba, Melksham, and (probably) Hibberd all players who can run off half back next year. Could see him move into a more outside midfield role, either way love his dash!

Did anyone see this coming?

He played 19 games and didn't miss a game after his debut against Collingwood. It was clear the football department had a lot of faith in him but I had no idea of what a talent he is. He has completely changed the dynamic of our side with his legspeed and tenacity from half-back.

I could watch this guy run all day. 

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 5

Even his defensive pressure is at breakneck speed. Love the superman like dives he does to smother.

Think his kicking is underrated as well. He doesn't drill it at players but he seems to kick it long into dangerous positions.

THE bolter of 2016. 

• Like 3

We were told to expect pace and dashes off half back, but his toughness caught me off guard.  Not afraid to fly for a mark, lay a tackle, or get crunched when necessary.  I really hate to stereotype, but it totally belies his looks.  What an absolute gift from the footy gods.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

We were told to expect pace and dashes off half back, but his toughness caught me off guard.  Not afraid to fly for a mark, lay a tackle, or get crunched when necessary.  I really hate to stereotype, but it totally belies his looks.  What an absolute gift from the footy gods.

He really is a gift from the footy gods. When you get someone that late in the draft they normally have one strength and work on the rest of their game.

I can't see a weakness. Perhaps he doesn't get the footy enough?

Kane Tenace went pick 7 in the 2003 draft purely for pace. Hunt has much more than that.

13 hours ago, Demon Jack said:

He played 19 games and didn't miss a game after his debut against Collingwood. It was clear the football department had a lot of faith in him but I had no idea of what a talent he is. He has completely changed the dynamic of our side with his legspeed and tenacity from half-back.

Exactly

I looked in the archives to player reviews 2015 and he seemed to be a bit of an unknown, though the few who had seen him were generally positive.

Still, we have had so many talked up players who failed to deliver.......but I don't know of anyone who is not now excited when Jayden gets the ball at HB or on the wing and makes a dash, or chases down an opponent.

Great find, recruiters.

Great persistence, list managers.

Great work, Jayden.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2016 at 9:54 AM, Demon Jack said:

Well, maybe not that he'd come on THAT quickly.  :ph34r:

At the start of the year I thought he was the most intriguing player on our list. He'd shown a few flashes at Casey, including a four goal game towards the end of 2015. Was really glad he was persevered with.

The intrigue has well and truly gone and the footy world has seen what he's capable of. It will be fascinating to watch him develop over the next few years. Already a fan favourite, if he keeps improving he will be one of the players that puts bums on seats

The "most intriguing" mantle has now been passed to Son of Shaun Smith.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2016 at 11:53 PM, McQueen said:

There's hardly been a wrong decision since Junior McD was sent packing, that the club has made with the delisting, trading or in Hunts situation, persevering with players to improve the list.

I was sceptical about his worth to the team even when he was getting a bit of it in the Magoos but that was based on what I was reading, not viewing any live performances or footage.

I genuinely get a thrill when he gets the ball and lights up the afterburners.  

Can't wait to see what he brings next year.

Not to mention that the pick used on Jayden was part of the Dom Tyson trade - 

Dom Tyson 2013 Trade Period from Greater Western Sydney to Melbourne for pick 2 (Josh Kelly) + pick 22 (Darcy Gardiner) + pick 72 (unused) with pick 9 (Christian Salem) + pick 57 (Jayden Hunt)

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Big Kev said:

Not to mention that the pick used on Jayden was part of the Dom Tyson trade - 

Dom Tyson 2013 Trade Period from Greater Western Sydney to Melbourne for pick 2 (Josh Kelly) + pick 22 (Darcy Gardiner) + pick 72 (unused) with pick 9 (Christian Salem) + pick 57 (Jayden Hunt)

That makes the trade look even better!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, durango said:

Jayden Hunt was a great success but if Melksham and Lumumba had been available he would probably never got a look-in

I'm not sure about that. I know the family and from the minute he arrived at the club Roos targeted him to play off the half back line, a project player you might say. BTW he should start the 2017 season about the same size as Lumumba (188cm and 88kg) if he spends some time in the gym.

• Like 2

First to admit, I would've delisted him at the end of his first contract.  Mainly due to the fact that we hadn't really seen him on the park, mostly due to injury, but in brief appearances at Casey he did little to inspire me.

List management is always a hard thing for the mug punter to do.  At the end of the day, we have to make changes to our list each year, and without knowing who is looking at getting traded, etc, it was a bloke like Hunt that I would've moved on.  There's a lot of people making similar noise about the likes of ANB and JKH this year.

12 month on (from when I had him delisted), I'm just grateful that through whatever means, we kept him on the list, and were rewarded for the faith the FD had in him.

I really look forward to 2017 to see Hunty take that next step, continue to own the HBF, and hopefully push Melksham up on to a wing.