Changes vs Port

What

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Why Hunt? Provides important dash off half-back. 

Partly to give a young player a rest.

He does provide dash but I think it gets blown a little out of proportion when he's getting 5 or 6 kicks a game. He's also far from reliable in hitting targets. 

I'm in no rush to see him playing seniors every week but not overly fussed.

• Like 1

Out; Oscar   In: Jetta
Out: Michie  In: Salem
Out: Oliver (rested/corkie) In: Tyson
Out: ANB or Newton (unlucky)  In: Pedo, Dawes or (probably not) Spencer

FB: Jetta  T Mc   Garland
HB: Salem Wagner  Vince
C: Stretch  Jones  Bugg
HF: Petracca  Watts  Kennedy
FF: Garlett  Hogan  Kent
Foll: Gawn  Tyson  Viney
Int: Harmes  Hunt  ANB/Newton  Dawes/Pedo

I'd love to play Clarry but I think if he's got a nasty cork then a week off is a good idea. Need another tall forward in I think. Jetta is a lock, no need for 3 tall defenders. Salem has to come back in I think. We need his composure with the ball. 

I thought Garland was decent today, certainly better than he had been. The only question would be whether Dunn should be back in for Charlie Dixon. None of them are the righ height but Dunn has the size. Tommy Mc could go to him as well, but isn't really playing much better. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Port don't have a ruck and Gawn looks stuffed including his bandaged right hand of the last 2 weeks. Oliver also had a massive corkie and hardly played through the middle in the second half. I would give them both a rest. 

In: Jetta, Tyson, Frost, Spencer

Out: Michie, Oliver, O-Mac, Gawn

yet oliver still played over 80% game time

Jetta for Michie is the only obvious for me.

Omac, whilst not a performance to warrant a follow up game should be persisted  with for another game to give him some continuity. The backline functioned well today albeit against a dysfunctional Lions forward line.

Hunt made some handy dashed today and he continues to show real promise. That said, 12 touches and 1 tackle is unders for a guy with his pace. He needs to develop more at VFL level before returning to the ones. I'm thinking Grimes might get rewarded for his solid block of footy in the same manner ANB has been, so Grimes for Hunt.

Trenners hasn't been an emergency yet but that's purely been because he's only just out up his hand for a recall. For this reason, match committee should overlook that and reward him on his form. If Oliver doesn't come up from his corkie then I'd consider makin that change.

Tyson will be right to come back in and I wonder if Roos will therefore take the opportunity to rest another mid - possibly Viney, Kennedy or maybe even the Skip?

Not easy now that ANB has broken in to the team and Stretch has had it on a string for two games running. 

Geez, Brayshaw must be thinking how the hell is he going to crack the 22 after his recovery period.

This is where success stems from.

• Like 3

Don't care so much who comes in, just want to see lots of changes. Fresh legs for the short turnaround. Roos' presser suggests they might be leaning that way too. At least four changes should give us a chance.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

We play in Alice.

personally, I am hoping that Trenners gets a game, would love nothing more than being able to see his return

Alice/Darwin...

We are playing some where bloody hot and humid.

Need runners.

34 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Geez, Brayshaw must be thinking how the hell is he going to crack the 22 after his recovery period.

The good thing is he isn't actually injured. Fair enough will be rested, but he will still be able to maintain/build his fitness. It is a shame to see him copping head knocks in the VFL, because he is a level above the VFL. If Brayshaw can smash himself on the track for a few weeks, I would like to see him brought straight into the main side - without playing VFL.

FWIW, Jonas (certainly) and Robbie Gray (probably) will miss through suspension. Questions over Hartlett getting back up from a (serious) corkie.

Not that any of that changes anything much re our selection.

7 minutes ago, KingDingAling said:

The good thing is he isn't actually injured. Fair enough will be rested, but he will still be able to maintain/build his fitness. It is a shame to see him copping head knocks in the VFL, because he is a level above the VFL. If Brayshaw can smash himself on the track for a few weeks, I would like to see him brought straight into the main side - without playing VFL.

Going on the match committees form I don't see that happening, the club seems to be building an "earn your spot" culture (about time) so I would imagine minimum one week at the VFL. I agree though, he's an unquestionable best 22 so he won't be waiting long once he's got his concussion sorted.

16 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What the f##k was Watts doing in the ruck today? That can't happen again, far to valuable to the side for that to be happening. 

Max Gawn far too valuable to play there as well if he goes down we're f##ked.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

What the f##k was Watts doing in the ruck today? That can't happen again, far to valuable to the side for that to be happening. 

He's far more valuable when he's involved in the play and I think it was great to get him up around the ball. Even won some taps.

A couple of ruck contests a quarter are hardly likely to produce serious injury.

And if you're coming at it from the - we need him forward angle - then see point 1, and also note we've done well without him forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P-man said:

Partly to give a young player a rest.

He does provide dash but I think it gets blown a little out of proportion when he's getting 5 or 6 kicks a game. He's also far from reliable in hitting targets. 

I'm in no rush to see him playing seniors every week but not overly fussed.

Agreed mate, although the dash looks good it needs to be more consistent however that isnt a knock on the kid

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Shocked that he played there.  A few years back Roos played Goodes in the ruck who was then injured for quite a few weeks.  Roos vowed 'never again' to play a key player in the ruck.  Not saying Watts is like Goodes but I  wonder whose decision it was.  Hope it doesnt happen again.  Third man up maybe from time to time but not relief ruck...as you say BA Watts  is far too valuable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WAClark said:

Don't care so much who comes in, just want to see lots of changes. Fresh legs for the short turnaround. Roos' presser suggests they might be leaning that way too. At least four changes should give us a chance.

I like the idea of a number of changes this week given the tough three weeks we have after next week coming into the bye. We never play well the week after an NT game. Making changes this week not only rewards the efforts of those banging on the door in the two's, it gives our key first choices an important rest with only three weeks before they have another one. We do have a young list, after all.

28 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Hey BA! Eff me, I nearly choked on my Master Chef with Nigella Lawson!

'Far too valuable??'

Love ya work, son! :)

• Like 2