1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

The monkey has been lifted we have won two on the trot.

3's coming ;)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, P-man said:

I mentioned one aspect of his day. He delivered the ball well inside 50 and on a day like today, that stood out.

Fair enough....but I can't see Jack G in the best 22 if a full list is available. On the fringe.

On the flip side, (I know you're a fan) Michie did some good things in traffic today.

• Like 1

Just listening to Goodwin's press conference - says Vanders should be right for next week and that Dunny had a bit of a groin injury as well but should be right to go as well.

Good to hear that the injuries we received this week were only very minimal.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Fair enough....but I can't see Jack G in the best 22 if a full list is available. On the fringe.

On the flip side, (I know you're a fan) Michie did some good things in traffic today.

Get on board the Viv train mate. You know you want to.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I missed the game, but saw we won so I thought I'd better jump on Demonland to see how awful we were.  You guys never fail to disappoint!

Yes As I am not in a position to watch games I always seek guidance from Demonland as to our form on match day - and always end up confused

• Like 1

3 hours ago, boydie said:

Agreed, I like the kid. He has a red hot crack.

yep, & thats what stood out with him in the U-18's at princes park.  his effort AA for effort.  good leap,  enough pace,  huuungry for the contest & ball.

16 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I missed the game, but saw we won so I thought I'd better jump on Demonland to see how awful we were.  You guys never fail to disappoint!

Go watch the game Nasher ...

You might then swap sarcasm for astonishment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beelzebub said:

Go watch the game Nasher ...

You might then swap sarcasm for astonishment.

It might have been a complete trainwreck mate, I acknowledge that.  Just saying I wouldn't know from reading Demonland, because I'll get told it was whether it was or not.  This isn't an isolated incident, there's a good reason why I've taken to avoiding the match day threads in general in the last 12 months.

Edited by Nasher
  • Like 4

Geez classic demonland.. so much negativity! 

Positives:

- Jones and Vince blew out the cobwebs (much needed for Jones to get his peripheral vision back)

- Oliver had a partly coming out game. Showed heaps and has earnt a round 1 spot.

- Watts learnt even if the games doesn't start well, it can turn very quickly, all you have to do is keep trying.

- No injuries

- Learning how to win, regardless of the opponent (so underrated)

Negatives:

- It was windy and we arent great by foot in the wind.

- Tom Mac and Kennedy arent great by foot in the wind.

- That Fox footy team should never been assembled together again. Johnson and Shaw are just generally a horrible listening experience.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

It's one game.  In early March.  Don't get your knickers in a twist.

I'm happy for Hunt and Wagner to get game time, but they've shown that they are still some way off the pace of AFL footy.  They will continue to develop at Casey.  Nothing wrong with that.  Lumumba is ready to return and I have no doubt they'll slot him in across half back when the real stuff starts.

Hunt and Wagner might be a little of the pace....ok, we also have a few senior players who are clearly off the pace, getting towelled up by a VFL side. I'd rather back the younger players in. 

There needs to be a team rule, (with the exception of FB/CHB/RUCK) if you can't kick the footy or continually made bad decisions you don't play. We have senior players that need to go back and develop at Casey. 

I was working again so didn't see the game, caught bits and pieces on the radio. From what I could work out we are setting up better and the structures are there but our disposal is letting us down. 

Really, I'm surprised that the punters on Demonland aren't universally praising our team for the very good win today. I took the drive to Craigieburn with my son. We were on the forward fifty fence at the 'northern' end. We were in perfect position to witness the magnificent goals posted by Garlett, Watts and Tyson. The team that kicked with the four-goal wind was always going to get the jump. We agreed at quarter time that we would have rebounded well if we tied up the scores at half time. That's pretty much what happened. We felt we needed to limit their scoring in the third quarter if we had any chance of winning. We managed to get a few against the tide. At three quarter time we decided that a spirited effort in the fourth, win or lose, would be enough to send us home satisfied. We were all over them in the fourth and every player contributed. The commitment and pressure was outstanding, to the point that we owned them with five or so minutes to go. All our targets were met and we march on excactly as Roos and Goodwin would have liked... not to mention our CEO (and person in charge of membership!). Get on the bandwagon Demonland, the signs are all good! 

Edited by waynewussell
  • Like 13

Uncle Bitter has to report a varied day. Two obvious negatives - (1) I had to listen to Moonie all day. (2) Only two booze tents. 

POsitives. The Merc didn't get stolen.  We beat a good side.  Jack Viney demonstrated how he can impact on a game with his strength in close. He went up a gear when required. Max Gawn also lifted in the last quarter and gave us first use. Jack Watts was laconic around the ball at times but provided a target, took a strong mark and one of his 3 goals was a beauty. Speaking of great goals - you will go a long way to beat Jeffy's grubber. Oliver has without doubt "got it" and he will play seniors very early - maybe even first game. Nathan Jones made a good return and kicked a big goal to seal the deal. Vince got into the game as it went on. "Pedo myths" contested hard and also kicked a goal . He will play round one. Kent again showed he will be an important player this year.

Good day all round - Time for some vino!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Forest Demon said:

If we want to take the positives from last week, we have to recognise how ordinary we have been today.

Hopefully VDB hasn't done anything serious, as he is an important player for us.

Tom McDonald...wow...I don't think I've seen a player with a greater discrepancy between his best and worst. On his day, he looks All Australian, on days like today, he is an absolute liability.

Could he play Pederson's role down the track a bit?

--------------------

1 hour ago, PaulRB said:

I think both last and this week its taken a half for us to apply (adapt) our new game style to the defensive style of the opposition. At several point the doggie defensive zone had us confused, moving in circles and turning it over. With out Hogan as a get out focal point at CHF we turned it over a lot going just inside 50...

Hopefully they learn heaps from it.

Maybe hogan missing is a blessing in disguise,  forcing us out of playing the long bomb  'get out card'  down to Hogan.

We'll have to learn to think our way up from defence.   Admittedly it sounds like we have been out of form all summer down the back half.

We've only just got Jones back  &  Bernie,  so we need to have all our main midfielders in next match,  & excuse Hogan again,  so we have no easy options forward.  Just work rate & thinking, working the ball about. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Really, I'm surprised that the punters on Demonland aren't universally praising our team for the very good win today. I took the drive to Craigieburn with my son. We were on the forward fifty fence at the 'northern' end. We were in perfect position to witness the magnificent goals posted by Garlett, Watts and Tyson. The team that kicked with the four-goal wind was always going to get the jump. We agreed at quarter time that we would have rebounded well if we tied up the scores at quarter time. That's pretty much what happened. We felt we needed to limit their scoring in the third quarter if we had any chance of winning. We managed to get a few against the tide. At three quarter time we decided that a spirited effort in the fourth, win or lose, would be enough to send us home satisfied. We were all over them in the fourth and every player contributed. The commitment and pressure was outstanding, to the point that we owned them with five or so minutes to go. All our targets were met and we march on excactly as Roos and Goodwin would have liked... not to mention our CEO (and person in charge of membership!). Get on the bandwagon Demonland, the signs are all good! 

Could not agree more WW. My thoughts exactly and reflect those i made to my mate at the game. A good win.

Coincidentally enough i also went and must have been not far away if you were on the fence as i was on the hill at the at the Sydney end at about the 30 metre mark. Funnily enough i was also with my son.

Watts and Garlett were both right in front of me when they kicked those goals. Both brilliant shots as was Tyson's from the much the same spot as Wattsy's. Watts was fantastic today and behind Gawn our best player. He worked his arse off. 

Not much is being mad of the fact that despite the difficulty of kicking against the wind we kept one of the most free flowing sides in the AFL goalless in two quarters. Not that that we scored 3 goals against the same wind, with one being a brilliant coast to coast goal with two spectacular bits of play from Jetts and Kent.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Nasher said:

It might have been a complete trainwreck mate, I acknowledge that.  Just saying I wouldn't know from reading Demonland, because I'll get told it was weather it was or not.  This isn't an isolated incident, there's a good reason why I've taken to avoiding the match day threads in general in the last 12 months.

Chris Connolly on the AFL Live commentary was very upbeat about the Dees' game. Was happy to listen to this commentary team assessing the match. When is the last time we won 2/2 in practise games in our 1987-1991 glory era? Maybe pre-season 1998 when Daniher took over.

• Like 1

I love hearing Gawn's ambition to become the best ruckman. It doesn't sound ridiculous. Plenty of room for improvement still and a fair bit behind Goldstein, but he's capable of getting the numbers now. He's come a long way quickly since spending a lot of last year in the 2s

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, waynewussell said:

Really, I'm surprised that the punters on Demonland aren't universally praising our team for the very good win today. I took the drive to Craigieburn with my son. We were on the forward fifty fence at the 'northern' end. We were in perfect position to witness the magnificent goals posted by Garlett, Watts and Tyson. The team that kicked with the four-goal wind was always going to get the jump. We agreed at quarter time that we would have rebounded well if we tied up the scores at quarter time. That's pretty much what happened. We felt we needed to limit their scoring in the third quarter if we had any chance of winning. We managed to get a few against the tide. At three quarter time we decided that a spirited effort in the fourth, win or lose, would be enough to send us home satisfied. We were all over them in the fourth and every player contributed. The commitment and pressure was outstanding, to the point that we owned them with five or so minutes to go. All our targets were met and we march on excactly as Roos and Goodwin would have liked... not to mention our CEO (and person in charge of membership!). Get on the bandwagon Demonland, the signs are all good! 

Amen to all the above ww

For the first time in a decade we have a half decent list that has won the first two games of a season.

Ok we had poor periods but we still won.

Get that guys we won in spite of some players not playing well

The Dogs had some of their better players out.

So what we won.

Get it everyone we won.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

It might have been a complete trainwreck mate, I acknowledge that.  Just saying I wouldn't know from reading Demonland, because I'll get told it was weather it was or not.  This isn't an isolated incident, there's a good reason why I've taken to avoiding the match day threads in general in the last 12 months.

Yeah, many posters did mention the weather being a factor.:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

Really, I'm surprised that the punters on Demonland aren't universally praising our team for the very good win today.

I'm at the stage where I prefer a win against an under strength Dogs than an honourable loss against a full strength Dogs. Consecutive games where we've come from behind to win will hopefully instill some belief in the team, regardless of whether they're NAB Cup or season proper.