FAREWELL DANIEL CROSS

La Dee-vina Comedia

He's got One thing over any of our perceived Quick players.........???

HE GETS THE BALL!!

FMD I'm livid with this!

Remember, Greg Williams WON a Brownlow being a slow player! Sheeit even Brian Wilson won one ... and he was even slower!

Nup, Shocking decision MFC !not quite up there with giving Junior Mac the chop .. But still very bloody shithouse! IMV

Yes PF but we have other slow players we are carrying as well.

Fine we we get the ball-terribly quick turnover goal when we aint.

Yes he was a goer but along with Dunn,Gawn,Dawes,made it impossible to man up.

He's got One thing over any of our perceived Quick players.........???

HE GETS THE BALL!!

FMD I'm livid with this!

Remember, Greg Williams WON a Brownlow being a slow player! Sheeit even Brian Wilson won one ... and he was even slower!

Nup, Shocking decision MFC !not quite up there with giving Junior Mac the chop .. But still very bloody shithouse! IMV

What I can't believe is that Jones and Terls have another yr to run on their contracts and he gets the boot.

Sure he has slowed but FMD he gives effort 100% week in week out and provides a good example to our younger players.

WTF

Edited by DemonOX

Clearly he is highly valued by the Club. http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-09-02/roos-hopeful-cross-will-take-on-new-role

Extract:

Cross has been offered a position as development and rehab coach and Roos said the 32-year-old would be a great acquisition to the football department.

“He’s got a sports science background and he’s done some study in that area and that’s his passion. But we’d like to talk about a role that helps him involved in the development of players and running with them,” he said on Roos’ Views.

If he wants to play [for Casey in the VFL], then that’s probably another conversation as well, so we’re just starting the conversation of what he might want to do.

“The first part of it is that he was very keen to play [on] and it’s just getting over the disappointment of his career ending. He had an idea that that was going to happen, but it still comes as a bit of a shock.”

Its a shame that it came as a shock to Crossy.

Looks like there is a Shannon Byrnes role for him.

Hope he takes it.

He will be very good for the young guys and good off-field support for Nat Jones.

• Like 6

I wonder if this announcement had been made after the Carlton game (clearly his worst of the year) rather than last week when he racked 39 touches how different people would react. Looking at this in isolation to others under contract he is playing in positions where we need players that can run and kick to advantage. For all his heart and intent these are not his strong points. I suspect if the Goodwin game plan adds a more attacking element this would have even suited less. I would have given him another year but would have expected if we were to improve he would be spending all of it at Casey unless injuries hit. If we convince him to stay in a development role we really will get the best of what he offers regardless.

Has been great for the club, and would/will be even better if a way can be found for him to still be involved. Deserves a decent send-off, has really made something of his 2 years with us.

But anyone who can't see that time is catching up with him has perhaps been looking elsewhere. He was never a skilful player, but if on top of that he can't get to contests ... Sure, 39 possessions on Sunday, obviously he was amongst it. But for someone who's hard at the ball etc. etc., only 1 tackle? Viney managed 13, and Vince 10. Let's not also forget that he was already moved on from his previous club 2 years ago, so obviously we're not the first club to be aware of his shortcomings.

I can imagine how difficult these calls are, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for the club, but under the circumstances, the right decision. Another spot on the list for someone, but he'll be hard to replace.

I loved the decision to pick him up, and I think the decision not to offer him a contract for next year is also a good one.

He's been a great addition and I hope the younger players have learnt a thing or two from him in terms of rehab, training, standards and commitment.

His football this year has been OK - he gets the ball but he doesn't damage the opposition with it at all. He's been really helpful across half back, especially with Salem out and Lumumba useless, but I wasn't sure he was going to provide us too much next year.

As some have noted, it's a bit jarring thinking that Terlich and M Jones have contracts for 2016 but Cross doesn't. To that, I say that two previously poor list management decisions should not force us to make another bad call.

I'm grateful he came to the club and I'll miss him playing for us, but I think it's the right move.

• Like 2

So just reading the club website the club decided to move him on not the other way around. That is even more surprising. Even though his last couple of weeks have been pretty average (name me one player who hasn't) I would've thought his year had been very consistent and he'd earned another run around. Now you can say that might've been taking up a young guns spot but I feel like we need more guys like him driving the young players to take over.

Great, sincere speach from Crossy. Now I really wish I could be there on Sunday.

I think the last 6 weeks of questionable workrate from the team has changed the footy dept thinking, increasing this years churn. Cross'y may have been caught because of this, & the need for more salary cap space to get the A grader.

Thanks Crossy for the service.

I think it's the right call but we'll miss his clean strong hands overhead, especially floating across HB.

I toothy he maybe could have gone again - even with deterioration I still think he'd be capable of a handful of games next year when needed, but it is hard to carry players like that, especially when you will have a bunch of kids, and Trengove returning from injury. So probably the right time.

• Like 1

He'll be tough to replace. Yes, he's deteriorated a bit over the year but we don't have other guys who can put their head over the ball and take overhead intercept marks. I'm pretty upset that he wouldn't be offered a new contract given how he's been the clear leader of all the 'experience' we've hunted from other clubs and I think he should've been able to see out Roos' time in charge.

• Like 1

I hope the question "What would Crossy do / be doing?" can have some impact on the players for some time to come, in their training, their preparation and (to some extent) their play. I was impressed by Roosy's reference to this aspect of Daniel in his words after Daniel's.

I'll really miss Crossy, I reckon he had at least 10-12 really good/great games left in him.

Frankly, unless we already have some marquee names signed and delivered this trade period, I do consider this premature. They probably could've afforded to sign him a 1 year extension with a mutual trigger to move him into development coaching in 2017. Instead we're just "hoping" he wants to stick around.

Shrug.

• Like 1

Don't see what harm there would have been in offering him a one year extension and then just use him like they use Bail and M. Jones this year as depth. Don't tell me he couldn't get up to perform a role for us if he was managed throughout next season. He performed the Jeremy Howe backline intercept role this year better than Howe ever did/could.

Very sad to see him go.

One of my favourites in the last 2 years with his un-melbourne like performances. I feel like we are going to have a fairly large turn over on the list this year so I'm a bit suprised he didn't get another one year contract. His contested marking was a highlight of mine from him. It's hard to watch retirement speeches and his was top notch and I hope he accepts the job as a coach with us. Well done Crossy.

Wow. I know some will criticize the delivery, but what a powerful speech. Brought a tear to my eye.

Hopefully he will be able to have an ongoing positive input into our club and our players, and they will show him the respect that he had clearly earned over his two years at the club.

Ah....list management is just so simple, isn't it....or at least many posters here think it is. I am certain the decision was not made lightly.

Now guys, give him a huge send off on Sunday.

I reckon only a peanut would criticise the delivery, mono. Public speaking is not his thing, and it was obviously a difficult speech for him to deliver given the emotion of it.

• Like 3

""I also think this will lead to news of Howe signing on, but that is just my feelings""

And that is supposed to excite me Howe isn't a poofteenth the quality of Cross

I know who I would rather have at the club next year in any capacity

Daniel Cross - 32

Jimmy Toumpas - 21

I get what you mean Olisik, but there is still plenty of time and upside to Toumpas' game. Cross has been great for two years but we can't have him in there forever. If we want to move up the ladder and start to become a real football side then the pressure is now on our guys in the 21-24 age bracket to really step up and make a difference for us going forward.

Toumpas has yet to show anything.

God I hope all you Toumpas supporters are right. Me ? I am completely underwhelmed by this guy and I really dont think he will figure next year.

But the club has wasted many more years on others waiting for them to come good so what do I know?

Daniel Cross 33 when next season starts.

Jimmy Toumpas 22.

Cross had 39 touches as a loose man in the backline, most of which were after the game was already won and he had been caught with the ball multiple times. Are you a footy watcher or stats watcher? Was a decent game, but he has gotten slower as the year has gone on.

Daniel Cross

39 possessions

Not offer new contract

Jimmy Toumpas

Can't get a game

Offered 2 year contract

FMD no wonder we are cellar dwellers. Rewarding mediocrity time and time again.

Wow, Stuie and Olisik having a bit of a dust-up reminds me of this...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Clearly he is highly valued by the Club. http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-09-02/roos-hopeful-cross-will-take-on-new-role

Extract:

Cross has been offered a position as development and rehab coach and Roos said the 32-year-old would be a great acquisition to the football department.

“He’s got a sports science background and he’s done some study in that area and that’s his passion. But we’d like to talk about a role that helps him involved in the development of players and running with them,” he said on Roos’ Views.

If he wants to play [for Casey in the VFL], then that’s probably another conversation as well, so we’re just starting the conversation of what he might want to do.

“The first part of it is that he was very keen to play [on] and it’s just getting over the disappointment of his career ending. He had an idea that that was going to happen, but it still comes as a bit of a shock.”

Its a shame that it came as a shock to Crossy.

Looks like there is a Shannon Byrnes role for him.

Hope he takes it.

He will be very good for the young guys and good off-field support for Nat Jones.

Speaking of Shannon Byrnes, if Cross accepts a development role, would he replace Byrnes or would both be working with the club? I ask because someone on here about 12 months ago suggested Byrnes was given a development role because he still had one year on his contract so we "used it up" by having Byrnes retire as a player but work in a development role.