Jack Trengove re-injures his navicular (2014) - trade deal off

Wiseblood

This is starting to look like a Matthew Egan situation.

Poor bloke deserves so much better then this especially after the crap Neeld put him through.

Best wishes for your recover Jack, hope to see you in the red and blue again soon.

Nothing like the Egan situaation

Egan did his late in the season and he tried to come back for the grand final and totally stuffed it. JT has had a normal recovery and it just hasn't worked.

So, I appreciate every case is different, but who has come back from navicular injuries and who hasn't? Was Garland's a navicular injury? James Hird? Who else?

And whatever the outcome - and I hope he plays for Melbourne again - if nothing else he will always be listed as a captain of the MFC.

As usual we know little, but it is not unreasonable to speculate that Richmond could have overdone things in a fitness test.

It was stated that JT was in recovery, not yet 100%, so if he was pushed beyond his planned recovery curve it could have caused a re-injury which may not have happened if it was managed as planned. On the other hand, it may have happened anyway. Either way you have to feel for the bloke.

As usual we know little, but it is not unreasonable to speculate that Richmond could have overdone things in a fitness test.

It was stated that JT was in recovery, not yet 100%, so if he was pushed beyond his planned recovery curve it could have caused a re-injury which may not have happened if it was managed as planned. On the other hand, it may have happened anyway. Either way you have to feel for the bloke.

I would love to lay some blame on Richmond, but you can't blame them for wanting to put him through his paces. They needed to be 100% certain.

If anything, it is the club that saw fit to let him do a medical. They took on the risk.

He is so professional he possibly went too hard when Richmond put him thru his paces. Jack probably needed to get back to full fitness on a gradual training program, rather than face a full-on fitness test which is probably at 'playing fitness' level.

Whatever footy holds for you, you will always be a champion guy for how you carried yourself at MFC under terrible conditions. Good Luck young man.

Look, I'm all for a bit of a Barry bash, but to blame him for this happening to Trengove is completely ridiculous.

I think you are too soft - at the time we should done the "navicular scan" on Trengove and the " Am I going to give the club nothing for two years and then nick off to the GWS for a gazillion dollars" scan to Scully. It would have averted this disaster

One positive is that Steve Johnson also failed a medical which prevented his move to Collingwood.

He stayed with Geelong and has played in three premierships since then.

That's a positive for us, how?

• Like 4

He is so professional he possibly went too hard when Richmond put him thru his paces. Jack probably needed to get back to full fitness on a gradual training program, rather than face a full-on fitness test which is probably at 'playing fitness' level.

Whatever footy holds for you, you will always be a champion guy for how you carried yourself at MFC under terrible conditions. Good Luck young man.

What's this stuff about fitness tests?

Richmond put him through a medical, I doubt at all it was a fitness test like lining him up to play next week.

Sounds like he was sore from running at Melbourne doing his normal program, not from anything Richmond did. Melbourne, hopefully in conjunction with the surgeon, thought it was just pain from being out of action for 6 months. Richmond had to be sure and therefore got another CT scan which showed the problem. It's the benefits of being very critical and having a good look at something from a new perspective.

Pretty much like if you were buying a car and you heard a strange sound which the owner said he had checked with his mechanic. You are potentially going to check that car out at your own reliable mechanic.

I'm worried that as soon as their was any soreness we weren't right on to it for more tests and to see the surgeon. But then again if we followed all the advice and it got sore it was probably already re-injured.

Time to send Jack oversees for a change of surgeons and change of approach I'd say. Maybe even farm his rehab out to another set of individuals.

Some "navicular bone" insight from the NBA.

Recent no. 2 draft pick Joel Embiid is currently sidelined and there's a history of tall players (~7'0 feet) having their careers derailed by a navicular bone injury (Yao Ming, Bill Walton, Brendan Hayward). On the upside, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Kevin McHale both continued their careers after the injury.

Smaller players seem better equipped to recover, both Kevin Martin (shooting guard) and Michael Jordan broke their navicular bones and came back better than ever. On the other hand, it can be a tough one to shake, as we're seeing from Trengove.

• Like 1

Some "navicular bone" insight from the NBA.

Recent no. 2 draft pick Joel Embiid is currently sidelined and there's a history of tall players (~7'0 feet) having their careers derailed by a navicular bone injury (Yao Ming, Bill Walton, Brendan Hayward). On the upside, Zydrunas Ilgauskas and Kevin McHale both continued their careers after the injury.

Smaller players seem better equipped to recover, both Kevin Martin (shooting guard) and Michael Jordan broke their navicular bones and came back better than ever. On the other hand, it can be a tough one to shake, as we're seeing from Trengove.

and NONE of those blokes mentioned used their foot to kick a ball !! :rolleyes: just saying

it would appear navicular injuries are very, very hard to come back from.

Indeed they are. Had a similar injury and surgery four years ago. Tried to go back to long distance running but it was really wistful thinking. Tried to change my running style and wrecked both knees in the process. I feel so sorry for Jack. His foot will never be the same.

• Like 1

No biggy, would've shifted us up 10 or so spots in the draft order.

From 10-25 this draft is fairly even.

We get to keep Trengove and give him another shot at playing, feel good story.

I reckon he'll bounce back.

I don't. Its never actually healed, just keeps getting close and then reoccurring.

Whilst I take no joy in this consideration , if you can't even stay on the training track then what hope getting on the park ?

I'm not liking his chances. That's just being realistic about this with no rosy glasses or any sentimental bias.. What is..is..

• Like 1