Patrick Dangerfield

Demonsterative

Luke Darcy on MMM saying Melbourne offered him $1.5 million over 6 years but he turned it down. Cited a reliable source.

I can't believe that he would knock back an extra $700,000 a year.

Luke Darcy is a [censored] and I don't listen to anything he says.

Edit: Why is F L O G censored?

Edited by Is Dom Is Good

I get the impression Paddy sees Geelong as being 'home' .

I can understand that. He'll be looked after. He'll be set for life and theres more than footy .

I am more interested in what the " He 'll be looked after " comprises.

If we offered $1.5m a year, as is suggested and he turned us down, then I would guess that he is getting more than $800k per year from the Cats. This smells of a Judd style 3rd party deal.

I can see him taking up a role as an executive on $500k a year at Costa's after his footy career.

• Like 3

I get the impression Paddy sees Geelong as being 'home' .

I can understand that. He'll be looked after. He'll be set for life and theres more than footy .

There's no reason why he couldn't live out near Geelong and still play in Melbourne. I just don't buy that.

If we offered $1.5m a year, as is suggested and he turned us down, then I would guess that he is getting more than $800k per year from the Cats. This smells of a Judd style 3rd party deal.

I can see him taking up a role as an executive on $500k a year at Costa's after his footy career.

Sorry Red, ole Franky boy is only on the board of Costas now, and will probably be completely gone by the start of 2017, so I would not expect the yanks that own Costa Group to give a stuff about GFC.

Glad we had a crack. Rejecting a deal that is almost double does raise some substantial issues.

Now who do we offer that dosh to? (apart from Hogan who can of course have a big slice).

Glad we had a crack. Rejecting a deal that is almost double does raise some substantial issues.

Now who do we offer that dosh to? (apart from Hogan who can of course have a big slice).

you are making a big assumption that we offered 1.5m per year

the media notoriously use inflated figures

it could represent 1st year of a massively front-loaded offer

it could be total bs

i'd ignore the 1.5m bit but accept we made a higher offer

• Like 1

In that case their should be investigations into under the table payments by Geelong to Dangerfield or his family/missus

There is no logical reason why hed knocks back that sort of money

It is with good reason the AFL wrote to all clubs a few weeks ago cautioning them about 'sweetheart deals' outside the salary cap. At the time there was media noise about Eddie offering Treloar's girlfriend a job with his media company, something Eddie strongly denied.

I have no idea about Geelong, Collingwood or any other club but for the AFL to officially write to clubs suggests they heard whispers here and there. 'Where there is smoke there is fire', perhaps!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero

The football community still looks at the MFC as if they are a joke, simple as that. Why would any gun player want to come to Melbourne?

There's no reason why he couldn't live out near Geelong and still play in Melbourne. I just don't buy that.

he has long time contacts with some of the Geelong coterie etc.,..its home

we can all just move on now, nothing more to see

Probably a lock....such is the way of the world. He may get a leg up into some decent real estate etc etc.

My problem isnt so much all these other lots can swing it....is that we CANT !!

Hodge, franklin, Lewis , Rioli, Roughead , Mitchell etc etc...

They haven't given the farm to attract big name player.....

I can put up the Geelong list of players....

You win flags with strong culture .. You can't buy or draft it.. All those Hawk players who come from other clubs walked into strong culture & become better players...

Ps love to have him though

West Coast 2006

If your wife were offered 700k extra to work that 2 hours away, she'd take it. Don't say she wouldn't.

he gets to live where he wants, near family on a bloody good wage and it will be topped up with marketing etc, then career done Frank Costa will look after him work wise for a long time and I'm tipping his family working for Frank would be looked after as well.

So in reality it would not be a difference of 700k over his life but probably work to his favour.

• Like 2

Get over it... Maybey as a footy club we just need to work hard to develop great talent & culture....

Geelong & Hawks did & won flags .. No quick fixes

Ps didn't we offer early picks to the crows last yr & was rejected by both club & player???

Just like Adelaide did.......

And the Swans....

Edited by jnrmac

It is with good reason the AFL wrote to all clubs a few weeks ago cautioning them about 'sweetheart deals' outside the salary cap. At the time there was media noise about Eddie offering Treloar's girlfriend a job with his media company, something Eddie strongly denied.

I have no idea about Geelong, Collingwood or any other club but for the AFL to officially write to clubs suggests they heard whispers here and there. 'Where there is smoke there is fire', perhaps!

Probably smoldering leaves all the way to furnaces truth be told. We're talking about mankind and its naughtiness over 1000s of years. Its naive to think things dont go on. The really clever ones keep it al lat arms reach and dont make it obvious

Anything coming off the presses at AFL house regarding integrity and cautioning about ethics etc is either laughable or just downright hypocritical. I understand its need but given the AFL's own track record...well.

All they can do is say..these are the rules. All clubs need to do is follow them . Further to that they then investigate how to plot a course that stays away from such governance. It would be pretty easy I would suggest.

Im not for one monent suggesting the ONLY reason Paddy is going to Geelong is on the back of 800 down plus sweethearts. If he want to go the Bellarine..good for him.

Costa's no fool. He's dealt with finer brains than Gil the Dill ffs.

Dangerfield to Geelong. So be it

Lets go find our good'ens !!

That is embarrassing if true.

Not embarrassing. Shows that money is an important component but not the only one. Danger was probably ever only going to Geelong or remain at Crowland. He seems like a principled and honest person and had been in discussion with the Cats for some time. It is clear that he wants to return home making the Cats the logical choice. In a car congested city like Melbourne (quickly becoming the most unliveable city) why would you want to commute from the Bellarine Peninsula to AAMI park. Unless you were going to throw in a helicopter.

• Like 3

That is embarrassing if true.

I wouldn't necessarily say it's embarrassing; he's been on very good coin at the crows for a while, he'll be on extremely good coin at the cats, and I'm sure his partner will be given a cheeky role at the club or one of Frank Costa businesses. He has always said if he was going to leave it would be so they're close to their families. Money isn't everything.

Glad we had a crack.

Edited by Pates

Luke Darcy on MMM saying Melbourne offered him $1.5 million over 6 years but he turned it down. Cited a reliable source.

I can't believe that he would knock back an extra $700,000 a year.

Might be the same source Gia used when he said Melbourne were giving Danger 1.5 million reasons to think twice about where he was headed.

Damn him for not taking the money and choosing to go home and play for the club he likely grew up supporting.

Bastard.

• Like 4