PODCAST: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 27th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons victory at the MCG over the Saints in the Round 11.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0227.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Love 1

I thought Tomlinson was excellent today in defence. Sometimes he gets he gets caught on the back foot one on one but for the most part he slotted right into the back 6/7. He'll obviously remain in the side while Lever is recovering from his knee injury but where to from there for Tomo?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tom McDonald was also excellent in defence today. He was clunking everything and took 9 marks for the match. His disposal has improved out of sight. He definitely made up for last weeks effort. Granted they all did from that lacklustre game.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Much better intensity from the get-go this week, despite a few off periods. 

Do we sometimes need to be more patient as footy fans? A lot of people around me were going bonkers with the slower ball movement but St Kilda had setup their defensive structure very well and us going fast would almost certainly have meant turning it over in vulnerable areas of the ground.

I thought this was a steady approach to chip around and patiently wait for an opening, low and behold when we finally broke through the floodgates then opened. 

Are we the fans too harsh markers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

Impressed with a close to 4 quarter effort which we have rarely done in recent years.

Thoughts on Hunter's inclusion, i have been a big advocate for Hunter for a couple of weeks now.  He is AFL smart and that can't be forgotten regardless off VFL form.  He does do some frustrating things but i really like his smarts and ball use in our team, and i really like the idea of a 3 man wing rotation meaning we have run all game.

All had good games, but wow our captain is something else.  And when all is said and done he will be the greatest ruckman of all time.  People don't like to call it on current day players but once he is done and you read his CV, it's him!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thoughts on Mcadam. They consistently placed him as the deepest fwd today … i couldn’t figure it out. Surely he’s a small fwd not a tall? or is it all just fitness that as yet he doesn’t have? Doesn’t look ready for mine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While the Dees were good today, I have been pondering the long-term viability of the red-and-blueprint for the rest of the season thinking about what has worked and what hasn't worked. (Stick with me here)

The ability to intercept or otherwise cause turnovers doesn't seem to be a problem. for the Dees It's what we do with the ball once we have it that can cause problems. To transition a back-half intercept into a score, the team with the ball must be able to quickly move the ball into the forward 50 by either:

a) taking uncontested marks to move the ball forward,

b) using handball, run and carry to move the ball quickly,

c) taking a contested mark (usually on the wing), or

d) win a contested ball off a marking contest (again, usually on the wing).

We know that the Dees aren't a great kicking team or a great speed team (for 3 quarters anyway - I believe this changes late in games which makes us look a lot better because it opens up more transition avenues). So option a) and b) are not reliable to build the red-and-blueprint around. That leaves us with c) and d), which both rely on big body forwards to compete in the air around the middle of the ground. When those forwards aren't marking, the smaller forwards and mids need to gather the ground balls so that we can score.

My theory is that when we look bad (e.g. vs Lions and vs Eagles), the forwards aren't taking marks on the wing and the mids and forwards aren't in the contest, so our transition from turnover ends on the wing and is over being it begins. Do we have access to any stats on percentage of turnovers transitioned to scores or something like that?

To this end, I think we are best suited to playing 7 true talls (2 forward, 3 back and 2 rucks). It gives us more options to win the contested ball on the wing and drive the ball forward. This is why I'm very concerned that Goody has moved to playing 6 talls again with McAdam and Fritsch playing hybrid, but the wing is not where either excels.

A key player we need to find (either internally or externally) is a big bodied tall that can play forward, bring the ball to ground and play backup ruck. JVR fills this need, but I think we need a second. If the player in question can be a bit of an enforcer to deal out some payback for the elevated physicality sent toward Max, then all the better. What does the panel think? Can this be Verrel? Jefferson?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

Kudos to our magnificent Captain Max. He was just immense today. I must say that I was filled with trepidation when we heard pregame that Max was out on the MCG doing an emergency fitness test because of a tight calf. If he had any niggle he sure didn't play like he had any problems. He absolutely monstered the Saints. His 7th All Australian jacket is within his grasp.

Honestly what would have happened if he didn't pass that fitness test. Fullarton was already replaced on the emergency list by Ben Brown. By all reports Brown was already playing at Casey while Max was being assessed at the G. TMac and Rooey or perhaps Petty in the ruck all day? We are in serious trouble if Max goes down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Expected Score Chat Trigger Alert: I was frustrated, were most fans, that we didn't take our chances in the first half and put the game to bed early as a result of our inaccuracy in front of goal. Looking back though we had a lot of difficult shots at goal and if you look at the Expect Scores we only beat the Saints by 16 points even though it felt like we should have won by 10 goals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, Wells 11 said:

Thoughts on Mcadam. They consistently placed him as the deepest fwd today … i couldn’t figure it out. Surely he’s a small fwd not a tall? or is it all just fitness that as yet he doesn’t have? Doesn’t look ready for mine. 

Am I the only one who thought he found space on the lead several times but was either ignored or not seen (apart from the one time when Tom Sparrow gate crashed the party)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Seems there are quite a few posters that have concerns with Petty.  Sure, he may not be firing on all cylinders just yet, but I reckon he still has a presence out on the ground when he plays. 

I think he had a lot of potential upside and if he gets more confidence and takes more big grabs he may be a very important cog in our forward structure come September.

I would definitely persist with him in coming games. What are your thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depending on how Harry Petty's sprained ankle pulls up in the next few days he may or may not be available next week. What did you guys make of his game today? Are you convinced that he can be turned into a forward? It just doesn't seem to be paying dividends. What other options do we have?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Any concerns about the junk time goals that we conceded just before half time and then the 3 goals we conceded at the end of the match. We probably cost ourselves a little bit of percentage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the podcast guys. I think we look a lot better with Kossie in the middle. Is that why we recruited McAdam? Will we see a time when Trac is forward and Kossie is in the middle permanently?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Travy14 said:

He is AFL smart and that can't be forgotten regardless off VFL form.

He did more in the first half than Billings had in the past 4 weeks. He’s tougher than Billings and matches him for skill.

The knock on he tapped to maybe Chandler? From a 50/50 is proof of that, he even got back into defence to spoil. I don’t think Billings has done that in his entire career.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As Andy would say, we should have beaten Stkilda by 60+ today if we kicked straight and after losing to WCE the percentage would have been more than handy!

ANB’s form is growing by the week, do you guys think he has been given the impossible task of filling the whole Gus left? 

Also Might be harsh after 2 games, but how many more games will McAdam get if he fails to hit the scoreboard? Pressure acts, yeah yeah I get it. But he is supposed to be a marking medium sized goal kicking opportunistic fwd, all I’ve seen so far is mis timed flies at a pack and a very small frame being pushed off the ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Hi all, love the podcast. I have a question on Langdon lining up at CHF (where he did for most of the game). What is your opinion on how he played this role and also the Dees using the corridor more. Is there a correlation & did it work in your view?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite the hard tag on Petracca in the first half the Dees midfield showed signs of purring again. Trac was fantastic in the second half. Viney continues to be a beast and remains so underrated that he will most likely be stiff once again when it comes to All Australian. He has been so consistent this season. Clarry is slowly finding his groove and I'm positive he will be back to his blistering best come finals. More midfield minutes for Kozzy is really adding pace and dynamics to our centre bounces and Salem was back to some of his outstanding best. That was almost at 2021 finals levels. More of this please.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A welcome return to JVR this week. We really missed him last week. Our forward line functions so much better with him in it. I really wish he didn't have to do so much relief rucking on top of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lefty said:

Expected Score Chat Trigger Alert: I was frustrated, were most fans, that we didn't take our chances in the first half and put the game to bed early as a result of our inaccuracy in front of goal. Looking back though we had a lot of difficult shots at goal and if you look at the Expect Scores we only beat the Saints by 16 points even though it felt like we should have won by 10 goals.

Didn't we score 100?

• Like 1