Viv Michie and Dom Barry

dazzledavey36

A lot to like about Barry?! Gotta be kidding. He was given a run with role and he seemed more in awe of Hill than doing the job. Couldn't even lay an arm across the chest to put on pressure. There's a reason Crowley and Macaffer are good, it's because they apply physical pressure. Hill simply outrun him too, he was flatfooted at nearly every stoppage.

One tackle, very few damaging possessions and looked completely out of his depth.

Michie on the other hand I thought ran hard and offered something.

• Like 2

A lot to like about Barry?! Gotta be kidding. He was given a run with role and he seemed more in awe of Hill than doing the job. Couldn't even lay an arm across the chest to put on pressure. There's a reason Crowley and Macaffer are good, it's because they apply physical pressure. Hill simply outrun him too, he was flatfooted at nearly every stoppage.

One tackle, very few damaging possessions and looked completely out of his depth.

And they also have heaps more experience than Barry as well, but don't let that get in the way of a good clip behind the ears for him.

Hill should be able to beat someone playing their third game but he was able to still impact the game and get some valuable experience. Wasn't out of his depth at all. Still a long way to go for him, no doubt about that, but I reckon you're being a touch harsh.

• Like 3

Oh yes, I'm sure Roos was asking Barry to perform like Crowley or Macaffer in his third AFL game.

He's physically way underdeveloped, he's only been tagging for a few months, but despite both those things he put in 100% yesterday. His tagging wasn't great, but that was partly because he faded at the end of the first half and allowed Hill to get away from him.

He also had more 'damaging possessions' than probably 10 other MFC players.

• Like 9

Dude the guy is playing his 3rd game on probably one of if not the biggest gut runner in the AFL. The fact Roos had the faith in him to run with Hill is a big show in faith.

The experience alone would have been so valuable to him for his learning and confidence.

Just remember he tore Garlett a new [censored] in the VFL the week before. Thats someone who has over 100 game experience and kicked 43 goals last year.

A massive learning experience for him and im sure will benefit in the long run.

• Like 3

Thats all you want from the last few games of this year, to see some one that maybe just maybe be a good player for us, the hope again.

Gawn, confidence is an amazing think, the guy is realizing how tall he is. With another 1-2 preseasons he has the making of a good Ruckman. His tap work was good a few we didn't rove to him but he does tap to advantage

Barry, showed a lot today and also learnt a lot. He was told to run with one of the hardest runners in the AFL, Barry can run and that is why he was placed on Hill to learn how hard you have to run. Hill had a patch in the second term where he got on top but Barry also showed enough.

Michie, around stoppages with Michie, Viney, Tyson, Jones and Cross we did well, we had that pressure and I think with him playing with Gawn over the past few weeks he was able to get to the right spots.

Didn't Michie also have a restricted pre-season with us.

Was really impressed with Barry - for where he's at in his career. Always seemed to get a (clean) disposal in. He's probably a couple of (pre) seasons away from being seriously damaging, but plenty to work with for someone with so little football experience.

Doubt he'll be playing too much as a tagger in the longer term. Felt that playing on Hill was done as part of his education as much as anything, and to reinforce Roos's defence-first credo.

• Like 3

. Oh dear, a cold day, an open fire and a bloody Pinot. That's a MFC supporter for you.

Watching the snow accumulate on the Range Rover sport?

Thats all you want from the last few games of this year, to see some one that maybe just maybe be a good player for us, the hope again.

Gawn, confidence is an amazing think, the guy is realizing how tall he is. With another 1-2 preseasons he has the making of a good Ruckman. His tap work was good a few we didn't rove to him but he does tap to advantage

Barry, showed a lot today and also learnt a lot. He was told to run with one of the hardest runners in the AFL, Barry can run and that is why he was placed on Hill to learn how hard you have to run. Hill had a patch in the second term where he got on top but Barry also showed enough.

Michie, around stoppages with Michie, Viney, Tyson, Jones and Cross we did well, we had that pressure and I think with him playing with Gawn over the past few weeks he was able to get to the right spots.

Didn't Michie also have a restricted pre-season with us.

No. Whilst he's been in the system for 3 or 4 years his pres. with MFC was his first complete one. Serious foot injuries at Freo stopped him from full pres.

have a looked at the play where Dom Barry kicked to Gawn in the goal square . Dom had to attack the loose ball with a Hawk player coming at him the opposite way and Hill on his tail

He didn't flinch, took possession and with only a spit second to make the play he hit Gawn with a clever kick - resulting in a Demon goal

very nice play

edit - heres the play http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/20/haw-v-melb

Quick thinking and actually passed to a teammate. Reminded me a bit do Salem's cool headed decision making at Alice Springs.

Only in his third game - definitely worth persisting with.

Third gamer vs Hill - a learning experience in a game of little other relevance to us.

• Like 1

Gotta be realistic with Barry, for a third gamer he did well.

Michie is a unit. great pick up.

• Like 1

Got to love what Roos and co are able to do with the players, I never thought Barry would respond after what Hill had done in the 2nd quarter but his second half was a great sign of things to come. For mine I don't think he'll be anywhere near a tagger over the longer term but is a nice way to learn the game.

I could see why Mich has been in the 2s for a while, he really does some great in and under stuff but still gets a little lost in transition. Once he gets that consistent 2 way running mindset the coaches want I think he'll be a very regular player.

This is incredibly harsh. Barry isn't fit enough to run with Hill right now. The coaches knew that prior to the game, they gave him this role as a learning experience - I seriously doubt Roosy is asking Barry why he was 5 metres behind Hill chasing tail...It's an opportunity for Dom to see where he has to be come round 1 next year. There's no way Barry is tagging anyone right now in a game that matters.

I've got to say that for the first time he really showed something. He got some touch by being around a quality opponent, and continued to chase even when he clearly had nothing in the tank.

• Like 1

The thing I like about Barry is something that was picked up on by the TV Experts during the pre-season. He hit a pack at full speed, picked up the ball with one clean grab and burst out the other side to hit a teammate with the pass. Every single commentator sat up and took notice, and they all agreed that that one play made him someone to work with. Our team has a chronic lack of clean hands and he appears to be one up-and-comer who has this aspect covered. The fact that he is a pretty decent kick and has pace is a bonus.

• Like 2

The fact that Hill only really got away from him during the second quarter and Barry found more of the football is somewhat of an indication that he has potential.

I'm very sure Roos said to Dom "you are going to be running with Hill, this is the footballer we hope you develop into in the next few years"

• Like 1

Gotta be realistic with Barry, for a third gamer he did well.

Michie is a unit. great pick up.

Michie has only played 3 games as well. Both have potential. I thought both were a little over awed considering the opponents they were playing on. Great football lessons for them and a feww more games should see a substantial improvement in their confidence levels.

This is incredibly harsh. Barry isn't fit enough to run with Hill right now. The coaches knew that prior to the game, they gave him this role as a learning experience - I seriously doubt Roosy is asking Barry why he was 5 metres behind Hill chasing tail...It's an opportunity for Dom to see where he has to be come round 1 next year. There's no way Barry is tagging anyone right now in a game that matters.

I've got to say that for the first time he really showed something. He got some touch by being around a quality opponent, and continued to chase even when he clearly had nothing in the tank.

I don't think this is right and it just repeating what the commentators were saying. He was with him all the way, so it wasn't fitness but his ability to compete and show more urgency in the contest with Hill at this stage of his career that was his problem.

When Hill ran him into the forward line and took the mark and kicked a goal, Barry was on the mark and didn't look distressed, or doubled over puffing, in fact he couldn't blow out a candle. The commentators said he couldn't go with Hill but he was with him all the way, just a step behind and that was the problem.

Sold on Michie, not quite sold on Barry as of yet. But i doubted Jetta in the past and i was wrong, and i see a lot of similarities between them.

Really?

They are both about 5'11 and indigenous, but as far as footy goes I don't see a whole lot of similarities.

What are these similarities?

• Like 3