Viv Michie and Dom Barry

dazzledavey36

Didn't see or listen to the game but how did these two go yesterday? Going by stats they seem to get a bit of the ball which is good to see especially at this level.

These are two players who I have had great interest all year and was particularly rapt when Barry signed two year deal. Its good to have players in our team that can finally kick.

Definitely an upgrade on Mckenzie and Blease.

I only saw the first half, thought Michie was pretty good, gets to the right spots and with a few more games to his name will settle into the pace really well.

Barry in the first quarter I thought was very good, he is actually done one who moves around at stoppages, second quarter Hill slaughtered him all over the ground.

Was very impressed with Barry, quick, good skills, his composure was the most impressive

Hill kicked a couple of goals and he didn't drop his head and kept him pretty quiet after that

have a looked at the play where Dom Barry kicked to Gawn in the goal square . Dom had to attack the loose ball with a Hawk player coming at him the opposite way and Hill on his tail

He didn't flinch, took possession and with only a spit second to make the play he hit Gawn with a clever kick - resulting in a Demon goal

very nice play

edit - heres the play http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2014/20/haw-v-melb

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 11

have a looked at the play where Dom Barry kicked to Gawn in the goal square . Dom had to attack the loose ball with a Hawk player coming at him the opposite way and Hill on his tail

He didn't flinch, took possession and with only a spit second to make the play he hit Gawn with a clever kick - resulting in a Demon goal

very nice play

Saw that showed some real fast pace there was very impressed!

Leave him Gawn and Michie for the rest of the year I reckon. Get some games and confidence into them.

• Like 6

Saw that showed some real fast pace there was very impressed!

Leave him Gawn and Michie for the rest of the year I reckon. Get some games and confidence into them.

I agree dd

But you say that like we have numerous alternatives at Casey.

• Like 2

Liked Barry's game in particular - got pantsed by hill in the second 1/4 but hopefully will learn from it a bit... Set up a nice goal for Gawn in the third with a bit of quick thinking... Something a few of his team mates could learn from him! Mitchie was ok I thought Gawn was very good (not nessesarily in the ruck but around the ground) - three games to go I'd keep them all in till end of season.

Keep in mind they've both played under 5 AFL games each.

Seems we're developing them properly, and holding them back in the twos until they start playing their roles consistently well.

The same can't be said for a host of others on our list who have been developed poorly and who have less ability than these two.

Confidence is a huge thing for younger guys trying to break into a best 22 and I'm sure Dom and Michie would be feeling good about their contributions yesterday which is a really positive thing for the way they'll approach the next game.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 8

very nice play

I thought Barry read that play really well, which gave him a slight break on Hill. Nice bit of play though.

Michie shows poise and smarts with ball in hand. As I said in another thread, he gets to the right spots, his disposal is neat and he can lay a solid tackle. Really liked his game. Baby steps, but positive nevertheless.

• Like 1

Barry started on Hill. Had a good first quarter. In the second he tried to corral Hill too much when at times I would've liked to see him just go hard at him and risk getting run passed. But that's ok. Hill snuck forward on a good lead and Barry wasn't able to spoil which resulted in a Hill goal (or behind) and he got another goal but that wasn't Barry's fault. All the while being near the play Barry got involved and wasn't bad. Second half they probably thought Hill had got on top so moved him forward and gave Matt Jones (who was having a stinker) a try on Hill. Barry got involved a bit forward and wasn't too bad. Overall he looked ok. Still timid, not soft, just timid as to whether to get involved in play. Definitely a defensive first and outside type at the moment but he should hopefully improve knowing when he's best of just hunting the ball or the person with the ball.

Michie. He was ok as well. Cleaner with the ball than he was early in the season. Although kicked long from a centre stoppage free kick to Dean Kent at one stage. That's what I call an unforced error and it really annoys me. If you're bombing it long do it to a tall! He fought well at stoppages and won the ball and got it out. Certainly worked hard around the ground but you do notice he's still a bit off the pace when it comes to defensive spread. Just a matter of being 110% switched on I guess. But he's not the only Melbourne midfielder with that concern. The 27 plus disposals of Lewis, Shiels, Mitchell, Langford and 22 to 3/4 time for Hodge shows you how as a unit our guys need to lift. I think Michie spent some early time on Hodge before rolling on to Lewis.

Michie and Riley both showed they can be contested ball winning mids. Barry showed he's not out of place at the level and has a heap of improvement in him. Gawn showed some lovely Max Gawn action. All 4 are worth watching over the next 3 weeks.

A lot to like with Barry. He can kick, which is a huge positive, and he has pace too. His fitness is the number one thing holding him back right now, but I was quietly excited with what I saw yesterday.

As for Michie, a significant improvement on his first couple of games with us, with a much better presence in the clearances. Roos seemed to give him plenty of chances at stoppages, and he did some good work up against Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge and co..

A lot to like with Barry. He can kick, which is a huge positive, and he has pace too. His fitness is the number one thing holding him back right now, but I was quietly excited with what I saw yesterday.

As for Michie, a significant improvement on his first couple of games with us, with a much better presence in the clearances. Roos seemed to give him plenty of chances at stoppages, and he did some good work up against Mitchell, Lewis, Hodge and co..

The big positive is that there is something there to work with for both players. I actually thought Barry ran out the game okay, he just got lost chasing a more experienced player between contests, particularly in the second term. But his composure and vision to chip a ball over the top to Gawn during the third term was terrific and showed he has what it takes to make an impact.

Michie was solid too, he just needs to keep playing a role and getting his hands on the footy. Another one who showed something who can only benefit from another good pre-season under Roos.

Michie has great hands in close. You can tell he's hardly played AFL though, but there is some stuff to work with.

He can be a very good inside mid.

Barry needs muscle, and strength. Uses the footy well, but I was a bit disappointed by his lack of pace yesterday. Maybe against Hill everyone looks damn slow.

• Like 1

Michie has great hands in close. You can tell he's hardly played AFL though, but there is some stuff to work with.

He can be a very good inside mid.

Barry needs muscle, and strength. Uses the footy well, but I was a bit disappointed by his lack of pace yesterday. Maybe against Hill everyone looks damn slow.

Barry has always appeared to me to be an aerobic athlete, as apposed to an anaerobic athlete. That is to say, he's got a decent tank, but lacks that burst of speed that many smaller players tend to have.

As for Michie, I think we've built up a few nice inside midfielders. We actually have a little bit of depth there, if blokes like Michie continue to improve. It's been said countless times, but where we need reinforcements is on the outside.

Would love for Barry, Michie and Gawn to play the remaining games this year. They would benefit from a run of games together.

Considering the opposition, I reckon Saturday may have been a "breakout" game for Gawn. He has learnt to hold marks again. Michie has a bit of class about him. Barry struggled early but improved dramatically and is certainly worth giving further opportunities to show what he has got..

ATM no one, in 6 months I'd love for it to be Cameron, Mitchell and Petracca.

Change hands Moonie.

• Like 2

Considering the opposition, I reckon Saturday may have been a "breakout" game for Gawn. He has learnt to hold marks again. Michie has a bit of class about him. Barry struggled early but improved dramatically and is certainly worth giving further opportunities to show what he has got.

You could tell all that whilst peering at your ipad and swigging from bottles of shiraz? Uncle Glitter, you should be pushing Rawlings out of a job next year!

• Like 1

Cold afternoon open fire on

Having a nice Pinot from my sister's vineyard up near you Bbo.

Feeling very much at peace with the world right now.

Won't be much peace if you PM BBO your location old. BBO and an open bottle of red are like seagulls on chips. Edited by Moonshadow

You sister has a vineyard near me? You are now my best friend OD. Please pm me "family rates" old mate.

Newham Bbo

Right next to Hanging rock winery.

First vintage and not a bad drop.