WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BERNIE VINCE

Ted Lasso

A lot of players these days are pushed out of clubs, due to the club believing there are better options are available, the player no longer fits the clubs plans, or a myriad of other reasons. Most of them are good decisions and make good sense.

I believe though, that many AFL clubs including MFC have been a bit slow in picking up ready-made players from other club's delistings. Roos has been deliberate and forthright in targeting delisted players who fit our needs and other clubs should take notice of how he has got the job done.

Vince is a great fit as a replacement for Sylvia. Cross is just a great get. Put these two together and the potential lift for MFC is huge. But until a ball is kicked in action it remains potential.

It's all yet to be seen, but many draft watchers, including Emma Quale thought that this year's draft was thin after about 14, so maybe swapping 21 (or whatever it was) for a proven but somewhat erratic talent wasn't such a bad idea.

yep, I'm very happy to have both Tyson & the Sheriff.

I was responding to the information in post 37. It's been stated Vince that Adelaide were not going to renew his contract after this year and made no effort to keep him. Don't you think that's strange?

You're welcome to the rose coloured glasses. You seem to miss where I said I support it. If you think all footballers indiscretions are public and we know all there is to know about Vince fine.

Did Father Christmas forget to put something in your stocking again Ben?

Spending pick 21 on Vince was an absolute no brainer.

Sylvia rocks up for Freo training in questionable condition. His performance on the track and ability to keep up with his new teammates has been that poor that the club has decided he'd be better off training alone to try and catch up with his teammates.

Source?

You can read between the lines in this article - Sylvia flying solo but Ballantyne expects big things. After a decade of pre season training under Neale Daniher and Dean Bailey, things were cranked up a bit under Neeld but that's obviously not enough for Ross Lyon.

Col was at the back end of their 3km time trail.

Wouldnt be a good look especially under Lyon.

Lols at anyone who think we've lost out in losing Sylvia whilst gaining Vince.

I don't give a [censored] about comparitive numbers between the two next year.

Sylvia was a cancer to our young list. Didn't work hard which is why he's training alone at Freo. Didn't provide any leadership.

Did absolutely nothing except work on his biceps in the gym. The guy is a pea brain.

Vince may have a bit of spunk about him, but at least he's an elite trainer, fit, works hard and most importantly, has played consistent football in the past.

Of course we've won out on that one. It's not even an argument.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Sylvia was a cancer to our young list. Didn't work hard which is why his training alone at Freo. Didn't provide any leadership.

Did absolutely nothing except work on his biceps in the gym. The guy is a pea brain.

Vince may have a bit of spunk about him, but at least he's an elite trainer, fit, works hard and most importantly, has played consistent football in the past.

I'm really, really surprised that Freo fell for Col.

Oh well, not the Club's problem any more.

I think, all he needs is one good preseason under his belt.....

Sylvia was a cancer to our young list. Didn't work hard which is why his training alone at Freo. Didn't provide any leadership.

Maybe not a very good argument.

Vince is a big plus for us.

You can read between the lines in this article - Sylvia flying solo but Ballantyne expects big things. After a decade of pre season training under Neale Daniher and Dean Bailey, things were cranked up a bit under Neeld but that's obviously not enough for Ross Lyon.

You don't even need to read between the lines:

"He hasn’t trained too much with us. He’s working through some fitness stuff with the coaches."

Say no more

I don't get the hope he fails. He could have done better but he also had bad luck injury wise and was here when we were in our cups. Good luck Col.

Hmmm thank God we were able to unload Sylvia it seems from these posts. Free Agency is a God send for clubs like MFC. Without it we would be stuck with him.

Let us all hope that Bernie V is a real bonus for us.

Next year we get an opportunity to unload Frawley under FA. Can't wait to see who we get in his place.

I don't get the hope he fails. He could have done better but he also had bad luck injury wise and was here when we were in our cups. Good luck Col.

Agreed. He was no Morton/Gysberts/Cook etc who did SFA. Col gave us 10 years of service albeit inconsistently.

Agreed. He was no Morton/Gysberts/Cook etc who did SFA. Col gave us 10 years of service albeit inconsistently.

Yes, but you forget, there are a lot of champions on the forums that could have done a much better job than Col.

Yes, but you forget, there are a lot of champions on the forums that could have done a much better job than Col.

I suggest you cut the emotional attachment you clearly have for Col and look at the broader picture. The MFC and what it stands for.

It seems mediocrity is what you've both learnt to accept.

I suggest you cut the emotional attachment you clearly have for Col and look at the broader picture. The MFC and what it stands for.

It seems mediocrity is what you've both learnt to accept.

Here we go... because we get sick of the heroes on here continually putting the boot into former (and current) players, we must feel some sort of emotional attachment, or are accepting of mediocrity??? Where have we stated that Col leaving was a bad thing? I am just sick and tired of the critics on here who, as soon as one hero sticks the boot in, follow blindly like sheep.

As TheoX correctly stated, Col was a good servant of the club who was inconsistent... that is a very accurate statement, so why should he be rubbished for it?

am I the only one who had the thought that the reason he might be struggling is because he developed at a club that is a mickey mouse operation and suddenly he finds himself in a professional outfit

I would have thought we would be to blame for that instead of him

I'm surprised that article doesn't make that insinuation outright.. they missed a chance to bash us there which is a very rare miss indeed

I'm still anxious about seeing what happens with obvious talent at another club, might make a few in this thread look silly

I never saw Sylvia do a full preseason with us. He was always training on a limited program. I never saw him mentioned up the front of a time trial as better mids should be.

A lot of that was probably injury related. But at some stage with a player like that you have to get him fully fit and if he breaks down then so be it. Freo don't need a half fit Sylvia out there just because it's better than not having him at all. You'll also notice that the harder players work the luckier they are with injuries as a general rule.

I'm not convinced Sylvia not being fully fit to Freo's standards tell us anything at all. If he stayed at Melbourne he'd likely be getting the same treatment by way of individual training to increase his base.

Non elite player from non elite club needs extra training to get to the top line standard really doesn't need to be overreacted to and be a story about how useless either the club or Sylvia were.

Here we go... because we get sick of the heroes on here continually putting the boot into former (and current) players, we must feel some sort of emotional attachment, or are accepting of mediocrity??? Where have we stated that Col leaving was a bad thing? I am just sick and tired of the critics on here who, as soon as one hero sticks the boot in, follow blindly like sheep.As TheoX correctly stated, Col was a good servant of the club who was inconsistent... that is a very accurate statement, so why should he be rubbished for it?

In what capacity was he a good servant? He was paid top dollar for his potential and look at where he is?

B&F finishes?

Leadership group?

Improvement?

Work ethic?

You can associate none of these words to Sylvia. Compare him to Jones. They are light-years apart.

And please stop using the word 'hero' on Internet forums.

I never saw Sylvia do a full preseason with us. He was always training on a limited program. I never saw him mentioned up the front of a time trial as better mids should be. A lot of that was probably injury related. But at some stage with a player like that you have to get him fully fit and if he breaks down then so be it. Freo don't need a half fit Sylvia out there just because it's better than not having him at all. You'll also notice that the harder players work the luckier they are with injuries as a general rule. I'm not convinced Sylvia not being fully fit to Freo's standards tell us anything at all. If he stayed at Melbourne he'd likely be getting the same treatment by way of individual training to increase his base. Non elite player from non elite club needs extra training to get to the top line standard really doesn't need to be overreacted to and be a story about how useless either the club or Sylvia were.

Full pre-season, three quarters of a pre-season, half a pre-season...

It's not going to change the fact that he had little ticker.

The 'no pre-season' card has been used far too often for Col.

Why is it that Jones has become the player he is today and Col is where he is at?

Don't tell me it's because Sylvia has never had a pre-season. Of course he has. He may have battled injuries. But so have many players.

Look at Cotchin. An emense talent, but with the heart and desire to work and play hard. There's the difference.

The point is, Col is his own problem. I don't wish him good or bad luck. He never did anything to stand up for the club unlike Jones even though he is a year or two older. He has a limited capacity to think, prefers night clubs over training and bicep curls over working on bettering himself as a footballer.

Wake the fark up.