MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION

Demonland

THE PEOPLE SPEAK - HOW THE MIGHTY HAVE FALLEN by The Demonland Crew compiled by The Oracle

The Demonland crew speak about the Demons' game at Skoda. Will It be a day of shame?

belzebub59:

The journey of the Melbourne Football Club has come to this, a game against the leagues bottom club to be played at a former baseball ground come animal arena sited deep in enemy territory of Sydney's West.

Despite the less than inspiring locale the greatest concern is that this lowly team doesn't embarrass us. Yes, you read it right, that the leagues least successful team doesn't humiliate us.

The shame , the shame.

How the mighty have fallen !

Fallen ... but how far?

Demonfan26:

Both teams have been a bit up and down but on the whole we have been okay since Craig took over. I expect to see a Dees win by between 30-40 points.

Hoping for big games from Toumpas, Viney, Trengove and Nathan Jones against younger opposition.

why you little:

If Jeremy Cameron gets going we are in for a bad day.

How can you predict what the Melbourne Football Club will do as last Saturday was not football.

I want Neil Craig to be at his absolute best this weekend.

If we get flogged against GW$ that will be THE rock bottom.

I want to see some fight.

Supermercado:

We held Cameron to eight kicks and one goal last time, but there's plenty of weapons in that team if they get their tail up AND open up enough of a gap to insulate them against their traditional last quarter fade out.

Expecting to lose so I'll either be right or surprised.

hardtack:

I don't think that the biggest factor working against us will be Jeremy Cameron (he can be contained by Garland and/or McDonald), but I do think SKODA Stadium will be.

This is a small "boutique" ground that I believe has flukey winds and is one that we have never played on before. The average crowd size has been around the 8,000 mark, so at least not too many will be there to witness our demise (should it happen), in person.

While lack of local knowledge will work against us, by the same token, the size of the ground means that we have a better chance of moving the ball into our forward 50 more frequently, and this could play to our advantage if Dawes, Watts and Fitzpatrick are on song.

Dees should get up by 11 points in what will be a close and hard fought encounter.

THE GAME

GWS Giants at Skoda Stadium Saturday 3 August 2013 at 1.10pm

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall GWS Giants 0 wins Melbourne 3 wins

At Skoda Stadium GWS Giants 0 wins Melbourne 0 wins

Since 2000 GWS Giants 0 wins Melbourne 3 wins

The Coaches Sheedy 0 wins Craig 0 wins

MEDIA

TV - Fox Footy Channel (live @ 1.30pm)

RADIO - SEN

THE BETTING

GWS Giants to win $1.85 Melbourne to win $1.97

LAST TIME THEY MET

Melbourne 22.12.144 defeated GWS Giants 15.13.103 in Round 4 at the MCG

DemonWA:

A 12 goal last quarter from the last time they met should fill the boys with some confidence.

GWS are in better form, but I hope the boys really play with some pride and don't allow themselves to be GWS' only scalp for the year.

THE TEAMS

GWS GIANTS

Backs Phil Davis Joshua Bruce Curtly Hampton

Half backs Nicholas Haynes Tim Mohr Zachary Williams

Centreline Dylan Shiel Adam Treloar Lachie Whitfield

Half forwards Jeremy Cameron Adam Tomlinson Mark Whiley

Forwards Devon Smith Dean Brogan Tomas Bugg

Followers Jonathan Giles Callan Ward Tom Scully

Interchange Taylor Adams Stephen Coniglio Toby Greene Adam Kennedy

Emergencies Sam Darley Stephen Gilham Nathan Wilson

In Stephen Coniglio Lachie Whitfield

Out Sam Darley Will Hoskin-Elliott (concussion)

MELBOURNE

Backs Lynden Dunn Cameron Pedersen Dean Terlich

Half backs Colin Garland Tom McDonald Mitch Clisby

Centreline Jack Viney Jack Trengove Jack Grimes

Half forwards Matt Jones Jack Watts Jeremy Howe

Forwards Dean Kent Max Gawn Jack Fitzpatrick

Followers Jake Spencer Colin Sylvia Nathan Jones

Interchange Shannon Byrnes Aaron Davey Luke Tapscott Jimmy Toumpas

Emergencies Troy Davis Jordie McKenzie Daniel Nicholson

In Colin Garland Jake Spencer Dean Terlich

Out Sam Blease Chris Dawes (calf) James Frawley (hamstring)

Rolling Stone:

Melbourne has hardly fired a shot this year despite having the man who was reputed to be the world's greatest fitness guru, David Misson whose job description is "Elite Performance Manager". When he was at Sydney they went through the weeks leading up to the finals and then right through to the big one with virtually no injuries, having to make only one change to their line up in the last ten weeks before the grand final. With a settled side like that, they were odds on to win a flag and win one they did.

When he was appointed to the Melbourne job I thought "happy days are here again" but the reality has been no change. We just keep getting important players injured. Like James Frawley on the eve of a game v GWS which has this flash young FF kicking lots of goals. Last week it was Colin Garland and Dean Terlich was one of the mystery injuries of the week. What next.

Things were looking up for a while and we had only one or two changes every week after Neil Craig took over but this week, I think there will be changes aplenty. And there will have to be if we are to get up and win in the long, cold shadow of Phil Scully at Skoda Stadium.

Don't know why but I'm tipping Melbourne to win by a point.

Die Hard Demon:

We haven't played a game at Skoda stadium yet. Our interstate record is truly awful. Our players will succumb to the perceived pressure of "surely we can't lose this game"syndrome.

I think it will be a 3-4 goal victory to GWS.

Webber:

I think it's known to everyone, us as supporters, the media, and undoubtedly the players, that this is GWS' best chance for a win this year.

They kicked us around for 3 quarters at our home earlier this year, and will use that as evidence and motivation.

Make no mistake, this is the Giants biggest game for the year.

Our team knows it, and how we respond will reveal just how damaged we really are.

If we're all honest, our psychological form this year would suggest we will crumble like the crumbliest of things.

So there you have it folks. Skoda Stadium, Jeremy Cameron, our fitness programme, injuries to key players. Are the bookies right in installing GWS as favourite to win for the first time in their brief history?

We'll know in a couple of days.

[Thanks to all contributors]

Round 19 Melbourne team
B: Lynden Dunn, Cameron Pedersen, Dean Terlich
HB: Colin Garland, Tom McDonald, Mitch Clisby
C: Jack Viney, Jack Trengove, Jack Grimes
HF: Matt Jones, Jack Watts, Jeremy Howe
F: Dean Kent, Max Gawn, Jack Fitzpatrick
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones
I/C: Jimmy Toumpas, Shannon Byrnes, Aaron Davey, Luke Tapscott
EMG: Jordie McKenzie, Daniel Nicholson, Troy Davis
IN: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jake Spencer
OUT: James Frawley (hamstring), Chris Dawes (calf), Sam Blease

Edited by titan_uranus

Round 19 Melbourne team

B: Lynden Dunn, Cameron Pedersen, Dean Terlich

HB: Colin Garland, Tom McDonald, Mitch Clisby

C: Jack Viney, Jack Trengove, Jack Grimes

HF: Matt Jones, Jack Watts, Jeremy Howe

F: Dean Kent, Max Gawn, Jack Fitzpatrick

FOLL: Jake Spencer, Colin Sylvia, Nathan Jones

I/C: Jimmy Toumpas, Shannon Byrnes, Aaron Davey, Luke Tapscott

EMG: Jordie McKenzie, Daniel Nicholson, Troy Davis

IN: Dean Terlich, Colin Garland, Jake Spencer

OUT: James Frawley (hamstring), Chris Dawes (calf), Sam Blease

31630975.jpg

• Like 5

Scully will kick six.

Tim Mohr will walk all over Watts.

Pederson will get bathed.

Could be a new low.

How on earth does Pedersen continue to get a game.

I find hard to believe Davis, Sellar or J Mcdonald could be worse.

The guy is hopeless even against kids.

What gives here?

GWS by five goals

• Like 1

Alright. Without Frawley and Dawes, it makes it very difficult. Who's kicking the goals? Fitzy? Have to hope Garland steps up against Cameron. Glad Col's on the team sheet though.

Edited by AdamFarr

Scully will kick six.Tim Mohr will walk all over Watts.Pederson will get bathed.Could be a new low.

HAHA Tim Mohr?? You serious?

Massive spud. If Melbourne get it inside 50 with some sort of regularity (big 'if'), Watts will kick a bag

HAHA Tim Mohr?? You serious?

Massive spud. If Melbourne get it inside 50 with some sort of regularity (big 'if'), Watts will kick a bag

First time I've heard the words 'bag' and 'watts' in a positive light on this website.

• Like 1

It is painful to note that GWS has sort of developed to be our natural rivals. Like Collingwood used to be many decades ago. I wish I could yawn at the thought of this game but I sweat thinking of the consequence if we lose. I can't bear the thought of seeing all their brats going into wild celebrations if they win. I hope the shame factor will give us the edge for a win no matter how ugly.

I'm hoping Melbourne win well as I will be taking my 19 month old to his 1st game. His Melbourne jersey with number 4 on the back arrived last week. Looking forward to our family outing.

I'm hoping Melbourne win well as I will be taking my 19 month old to his 1st game. His Melbourne jersey with number 4 on the back arrived last week. Looking forward to our family outing.

Let me guess. You picked the number 4 because that'll be how old he is before we win another game?

Enjoy! Hope you and your little fella have a great day.

Can you please report back to us on the atmosphere? The set up, etc?

I'm actually travelling up for this one.

At the start of the year Mrs BBP booked me a footy weekend in Sydney, with the understanding that this would be a guaranteed win.

God how wrong we were!

I expect to lose and lose badly.

Also, not impressed with Craig declaring GWS clear favourites. Straight out of the Mark Neeld school of defeatism, and it's rubbed off on me.