Trade Targets 2025

3 hours ago, Binmans PA said:

I wonder if someone like Shai Bolton could be prized out of Richmond, given his age (25) and their impending predicament.

He'd compliment our midfield beautifully and partner our smalls and talls forward of centre.

He's signed til 2028, but you never know. Richmond are going to be in for some pain and need to maximise the next 2 drafts before Tassie come in.

Will only ever be a cherry on top player. I rated the kid a few years back and he hasnt come on like all expected. Unfortunately the difference between his best and worst is stark. Can win a game off his own boot all the way to cannot be sighted in an entire game. At 25 that gap is just too big for my liking given he would command a fair bit to pry out of Richmond.  

• Like 2

From Inside Trading's AFL Article this evening:

TALKS have opened on a new deal for Melbourne premiership player Ed Langdon.

The flag-winning wingman has waited until later in the season to get to his contract discussions as he comes to the end of the five-year deal he joined Melbourne on at the end of 2019. 

But as the 28-year-old comes to the latter stages of the season, talks have kicked off on an extension for Langdon, who has been a crucial pick-up for the Dees' success under Simon Goodwin.

The former Fremantle midfielder played 24 games, including the full finals series, in the Demons' breakthrough premiership in 2021 and has played 104 of a possible 107 games for the club since being traded back home to Victoria.

One of the games he missed was earlier this year when he attended a family member's wedding overseas. – Callum Twomey 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 25/06/2024 at 08:39, titan_uranus said:

I reckon they’ve been in the window since 2022, but choked their end to 2022 and then flailed around in early-2023. The bones of the list are the same.

I am confident if their 2022-23 formline was ours, Demonland would consider those years to be failures when we should have been contending. 

Knowing a deeply engaged Carlton fan who loves telling me all about it, I can verify. Carlton supporters generally see the whole period since Malthouse took over up until last season as a serious underperformance of what could and should have been an incredible squad.

Firmly placed in the hands of Malthouse and a deeper club culture problem very similar to what we on Demonland referred to with variations on 'Messiah complex'. In short, they had their set of absolutely unmistakeable guns like Walsh, Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, Docherty and McKay, and a sense of 'they are the ones that matter' crept in. This meant that it was 'okay' for Saad to just do the thing he was good at and be a little slack defensively, etc etc etc

Throw that together with the lack of depth, which they tried to fill by rolling the dice on all kinds of 'not premium' recruits, and you got a very brittle team that was constantly being exposed by 6-goal bursts against them.

I'd say things started to turn from about the time Cerra came in and did exactly the job he was recruited for - being a very good but not 'gun' midfielder, and then things started to click thanks to the likes of Hewett, Kennedy and Newman all building some confidence and consistency.

It'll be interesting to see how things hold up - their 'gun' players are mostly 24-27yrs but many of their solid citizens are 28+.

Just to add a strange quirk - Melbourne's fielder a significantly younger team in the game against Carlton than they did, but at the same time Carlton had only 4 players with more than 150 games and NONE over 200, in contrast to our 6 and 4.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, ANG13 said:

I personally won’t be surprised if he is traded. 

While I respect  your ability to have an opinion I think you are miles off the truth. Clarry is in his life now much much better significantly and is like the Club in for the long haul. 
A full pre season and fitness level in 2025 will see him back as superstars again for us. . 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

The idea that we would trade a first round pick just to get his salary off the books is ludicrous. Even when that regularly happens innthe NHL, it's generally a third round pick which equates to pick 100.

Imagine trading Oliver and not having a first round pick to bring in to replace him

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a load of rubbish. This club has supported him and as long as he is continuing to be a good teammate on and off the field we will continue to, because that’s what strong clubs do.

Edited by DistrACTION Jackson
  • Like 4

I don't see Clarry going anywhere. With the support of the club, he's worked himself into what appears to be a much happier, healthier version of himself which is fantastic. He looks highly engaged, including making the trip to WA to visit Kozzie's family. With a strong, healthy preseason under his belt, I expect he'll have an improved season in 2025.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Tom Morris 'journalism'...  🙄

Hey Adelaide, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  "Yep, definitely"

Hey Geelong, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  "We have a lot of players on our radar"

Hey Collingwood, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  He's a quality player. We be silly not to"

Hey Hawthorn, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  "Definitely, he'd be a great fit"

Hey Melbourne, are you looking at trading Oliver?  "Absolutely not"

Tom Morris... "I'm hearing there is noise around Oliver and clubs thinking he is gettable"

Kane Cornes... "So Melbourne say they want to trade him?"

Tom Morris... "No I didn't say that, but there is definitely interest"

Morris is a [censored] grub. Every time anything re Oliver comes up, he's always the one pushing it. Most of the off-season [censored] can be tied back to Morris and his manufactured scoops. Why does he hate us so much? Is he still upset about Hogan calling him a leech and the fakest figure in the media?

Edited by JTR
  • Like 6
  • Clap 3

9 minutes ago, JTR said:

Tom Morris 'journalism'...  🙄

Hey Adelaide, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  "Yep, definitely"

Hey Geelong, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  "We have a lot of players on our radar"

Hey Collingwood, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  He's a quality player. We be silly not to"

Hey Hawthorn, if Oliver was available would you look at him?  "Definitely, he'd be a great fit"

Hey Melbourne, are you looking at trading Oliver?  "Absolutely not"

Tom Morris... "I'm hearing there is noise around Oliver and clubs thinking he is gettable"

Kane Cornes... "So Melbourne say they want to trade him?"

Tom Morris... "No I didn't say that, but there is definitely interest"

Morris is a [censored] grub. Every time anything re Oliver comes up, he's always the one pushing it. Most of the off-season [censored] can be tied back to Morris and his manufactured scoops. Why does he hate us so much? Is he still upset about Hogan calling him a leech and the fakest figure in the media?

He hates Melbourne because we sacked him. Years ago he was media manager and kept reporting at his other job stuff from our club that wasn't for the public. Tactics etc. When asked why he leaked news allegedly he said he was a journalist (loose use of the word first) and a scoop was a scoop. The club happily released him.

As for Clarry, he is invested at MFC. Goody is looking out for him, he plays chess regularly with Max and occasionally stays over and look at how he embraced Kozzie and his clan. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

From reports when he signed that deal, Oliver is on a percentage of the cap. We need him to get back to being what he was. I hope he is managing his demons, because his Demons need him.

• Like 2

Take your goggles off for a moment and look at this objectively. 

We have given Clayton a massive massive get out of jail card this year. He has been average at best, well below what the figures suggested are. There is no denying this.

I’d like to think that Clayton has put the worst behind him and that most of the club would have known the output we were going to get from Clayton at the start of the year. So having said that - and I’d say this for Neale, Cripps, Daicos or any other star player - you’d be silly to put him up for trade this year only because it probably would take a fair bit out (F1 or F2 or salary) with Clayton to get a deal done and we’d get nothing back in return.

So what to do? This holds true for any star player that found themselves in a similar position and that is give him another preseason and see what he can do in 2025. If it’s another year like this year then I’m afraid you just have to get him out and accept that we may have to pay some of his salary or offer up picks. 

I don’t think it will be and I still have my doubts that 2025 is going to be Oliver back to his best, but he’ll play much better. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

This is AFL trade media at its absolute worst.

"Other clubs think he's gettable", but Melbourne says he's not going anywhere and he accepts that it's incorrect to say he's on the trade table.

All he's reporting is that other unnamed clubs apparently think he's gettable.

Which may be true, but would of course be in their interests to say to a journalist.

Of late, we've seen Clarry connected with Goody, connected with Gawn (social media), small things like his connection and care with Kozzie's family in Quairading, and (whether people liked it or not) being spoken about by the club as trying to do the right thing by the team when under pressure from the tag against North.

The phrase "where there's smoke, there's fire" doesn't apply to AFL trade media. People can, and do, fabricate smoke wherever they want. Journalists, managers, clubs, anyone can start a rumour which can spread. This is just that - other clubs think he's gettable, despite this story featuring not a single thing coming out of Melbourne or Clarry himself which would suggest the position now is any different to what it's been.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 19/06/2024 at 18:13, BDA said:

I reckon we should trade in charley Curnow.

And Harley Reid.

Trade period solved.

You're all welcome

On 19/06/2024 at 18:17, Neil Crompton said:

Great news. Now who are you trading out to catch such big fish?
Oliver and May?

(I’d do that if we could get those two).

Fullarton and McAdam, and Billings. 

• Haha 1

That is hands down the most ridiculous thing I have heard in about 10 years. "Melbourne should hand another club Clayton Oliver and their first round pick". What on earth is Kane on? I actually agree with a lot of what he says, but that's totally off this planet. 

Edited by RyanD
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Although things seem to have turned a corner lately, this year has highlighted to me how little depth we seem to have through the center of the ground. Which, in my opinion is the most important part of a modern day AFL list. I feel we need to bolster our midfield ASAP and believe this year there are several high potential targets out there for us to look at. I don’t want anymore 26+ year old rejects from other clubs, as I feel that sets us back to in our age demographic and I think we need to re-energize the list with some youth.  I feel we should be targeting high potential youngsters that are for whatever reason struggling to break into their current sides or cannot get game time in their preferred position.

I understand we need other positions filling as well, but if we can snag 2-3 off this list and keep our first rounder this year, I think we would have done very well.

Tier 1

Ben Hobbs

Down the pecking order at Essendon but has the potential to be an outstanding player. He can’t get a decent run at it in the Dons midfield which is his best position.  I love the way he attacks the ball, has a touch of class and can hit the scoreboard if pushed forward. The Dons midfield still has Parish out injured with Tsatas and Setterfeild as further options so he may look elsewhere. We should be in his ear and try to lure him over with opportunities to play in the guts on a more regular basis.

Angus Sheldrick.

Clearance machine and unlikely to get a run at his best role anytime soon as the Sydney’s midfield is an embarrassment of riches. Been injured most of the year but would be a walk up start in a lot of midfields when healthy IMO. I get young Jack Viney vibes off him, and his ceiling is yet to be shown at AFL level.  Another we could potentially grab on the cheap and he is excess to the swans needs.

Bailey Humphrey

Most of us here are aware of Bailey as I believe we went hard to try and trade up to snag him in his draft year. He wants to play midfield but is stuck playing forward full time which is a waste of his talent IMO. With the absolute hoard of mids at GC he may not get a look in for many years. If we can get into his ear about coming home and offer the chance to get midfield time, he may just be gettable. He is only in his second year but I can see Petracca like qualities in this kid. Would be an absolute coup if we could land him, but we got to be in it to win it.

Tier 2

Josh Ward

Looked like an absolute future star in his first 2 years but has been down this year and pushed out of the side due to Worpel, Day, Newcombe and bizarrely Connor Nash taking almost all midfield rotations. They have tried him on the wing, but it just doesn’t suit him. He would add some class to our mid-mix and has an elite kick inside 50. The only knock I have he that he doesn’t relish contact like he needs to, but he is still young and has an extremely high ceiling. Down on confidence at the moment, but the kid can play! It would be a buy low type of trade that could pay off big time.

Neil Erasmus

Absolutely dominates the midfield at WAFL level, but with the young gun midfield at Freo it seems inevitable he will be on the move at season’s end. The former pick 10 is a Big bodied mid and only 20 years old. Not the best user of the ball, but hey, either is Viney, Clatty, Sparrow etc. He has never really been given a chance to prove himself in the guts at Freo, but the potential is there. Potential bargain if we can get him on the cheap.

Luke Pedlar

I don’t understand the way the crows have handled this bloke. Yes, his body has often let him down so far in his career, but Nicks almost exclusively plays him forward in a team that really struggles to move the ball cleanly, or he is stuck in the 2s. On the few occasions Luke has got some center bounces attendances, he has shown some serious talent and some very nice and rare attributes. He is not a huge build but goes very very hard at the ball and man. If he can get his body right, I see him as an explosive, tough and skilled Mid/Fwd with huge potential upside.

Tier 3

Alex Davies.

Not the same level of player as the formerly mentioned but would cost basically nothing and would certainly add to our midfield mix. 191cm midfielder and still only 22. Gold Coast have solid midfield depth at the moment and he is right on the cusp of getting regular game time. Works hard and cracks in. Would be a could get IMO. He is rough and raw but there is a lot to like in his game. A late 3rd or 4th rounder could get it done.

Henry Hustwaite

This kid has class, skill and that elite “Pendlebury” awareness in his game. Has played a few games this year at AFL level and while he didn’t star, he showed signs and potential. Hawk midfield is deep at the moment, and he is back in the pecking order. I don’t think the Hawks would want to lose him and it would at least be worth putting out the feelers.

Jaxon Binns

More of an outside type, Binns racks it up in the VFL and has shown he is above the level. The Midfield at the blues is stacked both inside and out so his chances to play seniors have been extremely limited. Probably not any chance of becoming a center bounces player so would be lower on my priority list but the kid can play and would be an upgrade on Laurie or billings. A late pick should get it done and he would most likely offer more than a 3rd round kid in the draft will.  

Elijah Tsatas

Another ball magnet and high-end draft pick rotting away in the 2’s for Essendon. His kicking is suspect at times but he works hard and can find the pill with ease. If he can put on some size and tidy up his disposal, he would be a very handy AFL level mid. Huge upside if he keeps improving and wouldn’t cost the world IMO

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Brenno said:

Although things seem to have turned a corner lately, this year has highlighted to me how little depth we seem to have through the center of the ground. Which, in my opinion is the most important part of a modern day AFL list. I feel we need to bolster our midfield ASAP and believe this year there are several high potential targets out there for us to look at. I don’t want anymore 26+ year old rejects from other clubs, as I feel that sets us back to in our age demographic and I think we need to re-energize the list with some youth.  I feel we should be targeting high potential youngsters that are for whatever reason struggling to break into their current sides or cannot get game time in their preferred position.

I understand we need other positions filling as well, but if we can snag 2-3 off this list and keep our first rounder this year, I think we would have done very well.

Tier 1

Ben Hobbs

Down the pecking order at Essendon but has the potential to be an outstanding player. He can’t get a decent run at it in the Dons midfield which is his best position.  I love the way he attacks the ball, has a touch of class and can hit the scoreboard if pushed forward. The Dons midfield still has Parish out injured with Tsatas and Setterfeild as further options so he may look elsewhere. We should be in his ear and try to lure him over with opportunities to play in the guts on a more regular basis.

Angus Sheldrick.

Clearance machine and unlikely to get a run at his best role anytime soon as the Sydney’s midfield is an embarrassment of riches. Been injured most of the year but would be a walk up start in a lot of midfields when healthy IMO. I get young Jack Viney vibes off him, and his ceiling is yet to be shown at AFL level.  Another we could potentially grab on the cheap and he is excess to the swans needs.

Bailey Humphrey

Most of us here are aware of Bailey as I believe we went hard to try and trade up to snag him in his draft year. He wants to play midfield but is stuck playing forward full time which is a waste of his talent IMO. With the absolute hoard of mids at GC he may not get a look in for many years. If we can get into his ear about coming home and offer the chance to get midfield time, he may just be gettable. He is only in his second year but I can see Petracca like qualities in this kid. Would be an absolute coup if we could land him, but we got to be in it to win it.

Tier 2

Josh Ward

Looked like an absolute future star in his first 2 years but has been down this year and pushed out of the side due to Worpel, Day, Newcombe and bizarrely Connor Nash taking almost all midfield rotations. They have tried him on the wing, but it just doesn’t suit him. He would add some class to our mid-mix and has an elite kick inside 50. The only knock I have he that he doesn’t relish contact like he needs to, but he is still young and has an extremely high ceiling. Down on confidence at the moment, but the kid can play! It would be a buy low type of trade that could pay off big time.

Neil Erasmus

Absolutely dominates the midfield at WAFL level, but with the young gun midfield at Freo it seems inevitable he will be on the move at season’s end. The former pick 10 is a Big bodied mid and only 20 years old. Not the best user of the ball, but hey, either is Viney, Clatty, Sparrow etc. He has never really been given a chance to prove himself in the guts at Freo, but the potential is there. Potential bargain if we can get him on the cheap.

Luke Pedlar

I don’t understand the way the crows have handled this bloke. Yes, his body has often let him down so far in his career, but Nicks almost exclusively plays him forward in a team that really struggles to move the ball cleanly, or he is stuck in the 2s. On the few occasions Luke has got some center bounces attendances, he has shown some serious talent and some very nice and rare attributes. He is not a huge build but goes very very hard at the ball and man. If he can get his body right, I see him as an explosive, tough and skilled Mid/Fwd with huge potential upside.

Tier 3

Alex Davies.

Not the same level of player as the formerly mentioned but would cost basically nothing and would certainly add to our midfield mix. 191cm midfielder and still only 22. Gold Coast have solid midfield depth at the moment and he is right on the cusp of getting regular game time. Works hard and cracks in. Would be a could get IMO. He is rough and raw but there is a lot to like in his game. A late 3rd or 4th rounder could get it done.

Henry Hustwaite

This kid has class, skill and that elite “Pendlebury” awareness in his game. Has played a few games this year at AFL level and while he didn’t star, he showed signs and potential. Hawk midfield is deep at the moment, and he is back in the pecking order. I don’t think the Hawks would want to lose him and it would at least be worth putting out the feelers.

Jaxon Binns

More of an outside type, Binns racks it up in the VFL and has shown he is above the level. The Midfield at the blues is stacked both inside and out so his chances to play seniors have been extremely limited. Probably not any chance of becoming a center bounces player so would be lower on my priority list but the kid can play and would be an upgrade on Laurie or billings. A late pick should get it done and he would most likely offer more than a 3rd round kid in the draft will.  

Elijah Tsatas

Another ball magnet and high-end draft pick rotting away in the 2’s for Essendon. His kicking is suspect at times but he works hard and can find the pill with ease. If he can put on some size and tidy up his disposal, he would be a very handy AFL level mid. Huge upside if he keeps improving and wouldn’t cost the world IMO

of that selection, i'd be most keen on humphrey, but can't see any way gc17 will let him go

hobbs, sheldrick, davies to a lesser degree, and binns cos he's 'known to the family' (well, a friend's family)

wouldn't go near tsatas - he can't hit a target by foot

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RyanD said:

That is hands down the most ridiculous thing I have heard in about 10 years. "Melbourne should hand another club Clayton Oliver and their first round pick". What on earth is Kane on? I actually agree with a lot of what he says, but that's totally off this planet. 

That’s him trying to Americanise the conversation. Substitute Clayton & Melbourne for Zach Lavine at the Chicago Bulls and the thinking all of a sudden makes perfect sense in that marketplace and what a team like the Bulls is trying to do with list and cap management.

FWIW I don’t think Morris reported anything controversial there, sounds like Clarry’s agent has had some chats with clubs (might be just covering bases in case things go south again) and Kane’s run with his pick purchasing tangent all the while ignoring Tom saying Melbourne aren’t putting Clarry up for trade.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Nascent said:

I wouldn't mind if we had a look at Jack Carroll, Ryan Angwin and Will Brodie (as Dunstan style depth).

angwin is the only name we've been linked with by the medja thus far

other than battle, who seems to be choosing between staying at the aints or going to his 'childhood club', the dingley dorks

it's a shame, really, as i think battle would perfectly suit our system

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Mellie said:

Not sure if this has been posted but Zerohangers 5 possible trade targets for Melbourne, hmmm:

https://www.zerohanger.com/five-trade-targets-for-every-afl-team-melbourne-demons-152778/

Don't mind the Ladhams and Kearne option personally.

• Like 1