• PODCAST LIVE @ 8:30pm      

Call: 03 9016 3666 or Skype: Demonland31
    Click Here for LIVE Chat
    If you still want to browse Demonland
    while listening to the Podcast
    choose pop up player below

TuneIn    Opens in New Tab
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2024 Preseason Training Thread

WERRIDEE

2 hours ago, Dannyz said:

Have been told Howes is ready to impact in the back half. 

I like this, as as i noted yesterday if Howes playing in defence he could take Mcvee's spot at HB allowing judd to move onto the ball, or perhaps onto the wing.

But i could also see both playing in defence, with Howes playing the lock down role Judd played last year (he's  tall enough to cover the tricky medium forwards like McCarthy).

This would free up McVee to play a more aggressive, offensive role higher up the ground in the mould of kitty Coleman or Nick Daicos.  

Wherer that would leave Bowser and Salo i'm not too sure - one would have to come out of the back half in that scenario you'd think. 

I know there has been some talk of Salo moving on ball, but personally i cant see it. He is hard at it and strong enough to play an inside mid role, particularly with his fast hands and ability to hit short targets by foot under pressure.

But i agree with Fat Tony that his lack of pace would be an issue as a mid. It wouldn't have been an issue a few years ago but teams with slow midfields can get caught out now, particularly defensively -  the Lions being an example   

I wonder if Bowser could be an on ball option? He also could be an inside mid option as like salo he is hard at it and an excllent kick. But unlike salo he quick of the mark. 

Bowser wasn't a defender as a junior, but i can't recall what his main role/position was. Was he a mid?

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, binman said:

I like this, as as i noted yesterday if Howes playing in defence he could take Mcvee's spot at HB allowing judd to move onto the ball, or perhaps onto the wing.

Bowser wasn't a defender as a junior, but i can't recall what his main role/position was. Was he a mid?

I heard last year that they thought it was going to take McVee a couple more years before he'd move into the midfield. Something to do with still learning the game and having to keep things simple. 

Bowser has said in the past that he played as a forward as a junior. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, binman said:

I thought he played wing/forward?  I'd like to see him on a wing. On-ball might suit him but I think his tackling needs to improve. IMHO, they weren't sticking last season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, binman said:

But i could also see both playing in defence, with Howes playing the lock down role Judd played last year (he's  tall enough to cover the tricky medium forwards like McCarthy).

This would free up McVee to play a more aggressive, offensive role higher up the ground in the mould of kitty Coleman or Nick Daicos.  

Wherer that would leave Bowser and Salo i'm not too sure - one would have to come out of the back half in that scenario you'd think. 

I know there has been some talk of Salo moving on ball, but personally i cant see it. He is hard at it and strong enough to play an inside mid role, particularly with his fast hands and ability to hit short targets by foot under pressure.

But i agree with Fat Tony that his lack of pace would be an issue as a mid. It wouldn't have been an issue a few years ago but teams with slow midfields can get caught out now, particularly defensively -  the Lions being an example   

I wonder if Bowser could be an on ball option? He also could be an inside mid option as like salo he is hard at it and an excllent kick. But unlike salo he quick of the mark. 

Howes will be replacing Riv in the backline. That big bull Riv is heading straight for the midfield  

• Like 7

On 19/01/2024 at 12:03, 12345_54321 said:

Howes will be replacing Riv in the backline. That big bull Riv is heading straight for the midfield  

That would make sense too.

Howes is similar size to Riv and with his athleticism and depth on his kick would be be good replacement for Riv's run and carry role of HBF. 

And as you say Riv's strength and physicality is perfect for the middle, particularly given Gus might not play as a mid and Clarry might not be avaibalie for a chunk of the season. 

Having a bull like Riv in the middle will also give them more flexibility to use Tracc forward.

With Gus out of action for most of the Pies final and all of the Blues final, they needed tracc's grunt in the midfield, reducing their ability to throw him forward.

We saw how influential tracc was playing as a 50 50 mid/ forward and after losing Melk, and then JVR for the blues game i think not being able to have trac play the same mix in the finals was big factor in our losses.

• Like 2

Having a bull like Riv in the middle will also give them more flexibility to use Tracc forward.

Don't need another bull in the midfield but need someone with speed and agility, skills and endurance in other words an outside player at the moment Viney, trac, ANB are all one paced, Oliver has some toe on him but he is more inside player.

• Like 2

Howes won’t be taking Judd’s spot, he’s our number 1 lockdown man and we don’t have a lot of other options. Blake will be pushing to replace whichever of Salem or Riv go on ball (assuming there’s an opening which their might not be if Gus is folding back).

I expect Howes will leave a little to be desired defensively especially comparing with our strong standards, but if he’s ready I hope we give him a block of games because his run could be great. It wasn’t always great footy but the way ease with which he racked up disposals and covers the ground stood out at Casey. And he had an ability to get the ball back through the corridor. We need those fresh legs.

• Like 4

Bowey is too small to be a mid at AFL level. He does not have the power and agility of someone like Kossie or the strength of Viney. I think Bowey can only play as a high half back or in ANB's role as a high half forward. (His lack of size would be a deficiency on the wing and he is not an absolute elite endurance runner.)

If our midfield depth gets tested, I would be much more interested with experimenting with JVR as a centre square midfielder (Gawn in the ruck), with ANB rolling up to play as a midfielder after the centre bounce. Rivers is the other obvious player to go into the midfield more often but he does not run well enough and is a very flexible defender.

I see the centre bounce as being extremely important and the need to insert our best players in there. Once the bounce is over, our defensive systems are extremely strong an the risk of conceding scores is much lower. Players like Salem and Bowey would increase the risk of losing clearances.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Bowey is too small to be a mid at AFL level. He does not have the power and agility of someone like Kossie or the strength of Viney. I think Bowey can only play as a high half back or in ANB's role as a high half forward. (His lack of size would be a deficiency on the wing and he is not an absolute elite endurance runner.)

If our midfield depth gets tested, I would be much more interested with experimenting with JVR as a centre square midfielder (Gawn in the ruck), with ANB rolling up to play as a midfielder after the centre bounce. Rivers is the other obvious player to go into the midfield more often but he does not run well enough and is a very flexible defender.

I see the centre bounce as being extremely important and the need to insert our best players in there. Once the bounce is over, our defensive systems are extremely strong an the risk of conceding scores is much lower. Players like Salem and Bowey would increase the risk of losing clearances.

Why do we have to shift him at all when he's performing well in the role he's in?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Don't need another bull in the midfield but need someone with speed and agility, skills and endurance in other words an outside player at the moment Viney, trac, ANB are all one paced, Oliver has some toe on him but he is more inside player.

Petracca one paced? 🤨

• Haha 1

I like this, as as i noted yesterday if Howes playing in defence he could take Mcvee's spot at HB allowing judd to move onto the ball.

Nice speculation but before you write a 3 volume scenario of possible permutations & flow on effects maybe wait until Howes actually plays 1 senior game then maybe see if he will hold down a senior spot before we all get carried away.

Howes has had big wraps on him for 2 seasons but so far has delivered SFA although he has been quiet unlucky with injuries. Even at Casey he has been solid rather than eye catching.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am expecting a lot more of Tom Sparrow in the midfield with Taj Woewodin taking on the JJ/ Sparrow bits n pieces roles required by the team. Laurie should also get some time in the middle and expecting Riv and Howes to provide some extra run through half back and midfield to open up the corridor with their height marking and run and carry. Everyone needs to step up because Windsor, Tholstrup and 38 could pass them by at some point in ‘24.

9 minutes ago, Dannyz said:

Why do we have to shift him at all when he's performing well in the role he's in?

Bowey? I would prefer to leave him at high half back.

But with our midfield depth being tested and Brayshaw potentially moving back and Howes possibly coming into defence, we might need to make some adjustments (i.e. ANB might need to be shifted to the midfield).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Howes won’t be taking Judd’s spot, he’s our number 1 lockdown man and we don’t have a lot of other options.

Who matches up against McAdam at training?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Grr-owl said:

Who matches up against McAdam at training?

McAdams has been doing work with the fitness department lately. 

From memory of earlier runs, it was Lever, as they had him playing deep in the forward area. 

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cranky Franky said:

Nice speculation but before you write a 3 volume scenario of possible permutations & flow on effects maybe wait until Howes actually plays 1 senior game then maybe see if he will hold down a senior spot before we all get carried away.

Howes has had big wraps on him for 2 seasons but so far has delivered SFA although he has been quiet unlucky with injuries. Even at Casey he has been solid rather than eye catching.

k

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Dannyz said:

They don't. And if it was my call i would leave Bowey back. 

But if as you suggest Howes goes back one the regular defenders has to come out, particularly if Gus also goes back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Yeah, you're probably right (re: bowser as a mid). 

If he is not an elite endurance runner he can't play Nibbler's High Half Forward role (being an elite endurance runner is the number one criteria for that role). 

But following Kev's lead that he loves to kick a goal,  played forward as a junior and is an elite kick i could see him as a dangerous small forward. 

But there is a bit of competition down forward for smalls with Koz a lock, Spargs and Laurie scrapping for a  spot and the Kolt and Sestan also vying for that role. 

Half back it is then Bowser. 

• Like 2