How far away is Matt Jefferson?

Floody100

22 minutes ago, Demonstone said:

You must have missed his follow-up post (now rightly deleted by a mod) where he was bragging about baiting other Demonland posters.  Trolling, in other words.

I was having a bit of fun that was taken completely the wrong way.  I've copped my whack and on we go!

Seems the way I put my original post is a bit harsh for some of you so i'll re write it.

I don't believe Jefferson will become the long term solution or part of the solution to our forward line. Having watched most of Casey's season I don't think he has the frame to build on or the required grunt. I do however really really hope I'm proved wrong in due course.

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

@drysdale demoni just saw a notification that you quoted me on this thread but I can’t see your post anywhere.  

Sorry Dee Z, when you asked Roost It Far what he was on about in his initial post  I posted to you that I suspected he was just trying stir people up. I then saw his next couple of posts and had second thoughts so I deleted my post to you.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Roost it far said:

I was having a bit of fun that was taken completely the wrong way.  I've copped my whack and on we go!

Seems the way I put my original post is a bit harsh for some of you so i'll re write it.

I don't believe Jefferson will become the long term solution or part of the solution to our forward line. Having watched most of Casey's season I don't think he has the frame to build on or the required grunt. I do however really really hope I'm proved wrong in due course.

Well...... I'm a big Jeffo fan, for a lot of reasons which if I can say I know he will do! 

1 He has already put on a bit of weight. Give him another preseason and he will put on another 5 Ks

2 He might be quiet BUT BOY does he take everything in.. He will be analysing coaching, and getting used to a full time Footy gig.. BUT don't take his demeanour of slightly introverted at all, he is a deep thinker

3 I've seen him live only twice this year ( But have done my PF Trade Mark training reports)  and he is working well. Having said that I watched him closely at a windswept Casey a few weeks ago and have this to say

a It wasn't a great day for forwards but he kept presenting and was ignored

b I saw him PUT HIS BODY on the line on many occasions and in doing so created a ground ball possibility

c I saw him held of the ball 5 times for which if it were AFL , He would have been given Free Kicks, but umpiring at that level is like watching pre school teachers trying to articulate who dropped the most crumbs during morning tea!

d He took a spectacular mark ( contested and goaled)

e He does put himself in dangerous positions

f He is for the most part a deadly accurate kick!

So there is my rationale, I beleive he will make it and he will be a DEES Favourite for a long time.

My Take P.F

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 15
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Well...... I'm a big Jeffo fan, for a lot of reasons which if I can say I know he will do! 

1 He has already put on a bit of weight. Give him another preseason and he will put on another 5 Ks

2 He might be quiet BUT BOY does he take everything in.. He will be analysing coaching, and getting used to a full time Footy gig.. BUT don't take his demeanour of slightly introverted at all, he is a deep thinker

3 I've seen him live only twice this year ( But have done my PF Trade Mark training reports)  and he is working well. Having said that I watched him closely at a windswept Casey a few weeks ago and have this to say

b I saw him PUT HIS BODY on the line on many occasions and in doing so created a ground ball possibility

c I saw him held of the ball 5 times for which if it were AFL , He would have been given Free Kicks, but umpiring at that level is like watching pre school teachers trying to articulate who dropped the most crumbs during morning tea!

So there is my rationale, I beleive he will make it and he will be a DEES Favourite for a long time.

My Take P.F

Well I’m retracting all further negative posts regarding him before I even post them. I will hold you personally responsible if he’s not lighting up the G from time to time in 2025. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Correct me if I am wrong, but did Tom Hawkins do much until at least his third season on the list?

I can remember seeing one of his early games and he looked fairly ordinary.  

Just saying. 

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 6

I have watched a fair few Casey games, and really like him. His output isn't great yet, but he comes across as a genuine footballer, rather than an an athlete who plays footy. I don't think his size will hold him back, it is his base fitness. One more pre season and who knows what could be?

I think of him as a young Jack Gunston - rangey, a bit lighter than most his height, mobile, smart. 

Not ready yet, but maybe as first call-up if there is an injury in our AFL team forward line in 2024. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

IMHO he will be at least the year after next, very light frame. Takes a good mark at the highest point. Decent kick and skills but yet to impose himself on any game I've seen. I do worry about his level of attack on the contest, but that may come as he gets more confidence in his body. Been a more traditional inside 50 forward in his junior days and this year from what I've seen

Surely given all those attributes we missed to perfect opportunity to debut our prized first round pick on the monarch's birthday game against Collingwood? 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Elwood 3184 said:

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan was a true #1 (I would suggest that Cadman was a specific requirement of the Giants and that Ashcroft and a couple of the other mid sized players like Sheezel, Wardlaw were rated ahead of him). It took JUH until late in his second season before he started taking off and look where he’s at in his third. We’re doing well if Jefferson follows that path but in any event, he is calling out for patience and there’s no need to rush him in early.

Maybe I've been living under a rock with respects to other teams in the comp, but thanks for clarifying the identity of this mysterious JUH that features throughout this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Sometime in late 2024 is a possibility but look out for him more likely in 2025. Lots more protein shakes.  He’s a good mark and needs more physical development and footy intensity.  Be patient.  

Yeeeeess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Sometime in late 2024 is a possibility but look out for him more likely in 2025. Lots more protein shakes.  He’s a good mark and needs more physical development and footy intensity.  Be patient.  

57 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Yeeeeess

Mr fence.   Great to see outliers like you and s o n s  suggesting patience.   👏. So many see anyone who doesn’t make it in year 1 or 2 as being a spud, a dud, a dud spud list clogger, or some other derogatory term  

Our new KPP forward, whose forthcoming prolonged absence we are now bemoaning, started in 2018 with one game best forgotten, many describing him as in my previous paragraph, calling for his immediate delisting.   He didn’t really come into serious discussion until Tomlinson’s injury in 2021 when he worked hard and became a premiership KPP defender. 

So we can see that patience is required with these bigger players. 

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, daisycutter said:

he's as far away as the length of a piece of string

simple answer:   it's too early to say

Have you ever seen MJ play Daisy cutter?  

Or are you  going on some DLers comments already tending to write him off at this stage for no weight and quiet personality.   PFence is the one to listen to as he has seen him both play and train. 

I believe he May get a game or two late next year if he puts more weight on and is able to use that to become a good prospect with plenty of improvement on him. 

Not sure he is As fast a developer as JVR who is bigger framed and plays the forward role like a defender. He has a fearless attack on the ball. 

But MJ has a skill base of marking and kicking well so he is ahead of many other 19/20 year olds once he gets the frame and also the smarts you can add to  his ability.

May debut very late in 2024 but 2025 should be his break out year. 

Also if Harry Petty is our full forward both JVR and he will mature quicker because of No 35's attack on the ball  which will make  others better around him on the forward  line with confidence and physical presence. 

13 hours ago, picket fence said:

My Take P.F

Agree.

He has shown that with development he is a very good chance to make it.

The only thing I haven’t really seen, because I am watching him on the VFL site, is his running ability.

23 hours ago, Winners at last said:

How is his attack on the ball?

The good thing about JVR is that he loves the 'body on body clattering'. Some others just don't have it in their DNA. We need players who thrive on the contest. 

From a good friend whose son played with Jefferson at Wesley he has always had the skills but never the real appetite for physicality. Cross fingers that this can be learned behaviour but AFL history suggests it’s unlikely. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roost it far said:

Do you still think he'll be delisted or was that part of the fun?

I remember watching Fritta in his first year at Casey, and thinking what a pity that this kid, who is such a beautifully innate and clever footballer, the kind born that way, will never play AFL footy cos he’s just not built for it. To my mind then, the days of Robbie Flower types being up to the current game’s physical rigours were gone. I kept those thoughts to myself, cos I hold to the idea that publicising any negative judgement on any player’s future is frankly presumptuous and arrogant. It happens A LOT on here of course, only because some people are thoughtless. I guess it’s a form of attention seeking. Obviously, none of us know how any player will develop. What we know for sure is that professionals much better equipped to make those judgements have brought them to the club. That we presume to criticise those players for ‘slow’ development, propensity for injury and perceived flaws in ability and personality (this really makes me shake my head) while they’re still kids is just pathetic. 

• Like 11
  • Clap 2

3 hours ago, Webber said:

I remember watching Fritta in his first year at Casey, and thinking what a pity that this kid, who is such a beautifully innate and clever footballer, the kind born that way, will never play AFL footy cos he’s just not built for it. To my mind then, the days of Robbie Flower types being up to the current game’s physical rigours were gone. I kept those thoughts to myself, cos I hold to the idea that publicising any negative judgement on any player’s future is frankly presumptuous and arrogant. It happens A LOT on here of course, only because some people are thoughtless. I guess it’s a form of attention seeking. Obviously, none of us know how any player will develop. What we know for sure is that professionals much better equipped to make those judgements have brought them to the club. That we presume to criticise those players for ‘slow’ development, propensity for injury and perceived flaws in ability and personality (this really makes me shake my head) while they’re still kids is just pathetic. 

Well said. I know of one player from the same league where Will Ashcroft, Harry Sheezel, George Wardlaw, Cam McKenzie played, who played against them in a strong side and of close to their calibre who was truly shattered when he missed out in the draft. I believe he’s given up on football altogether. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, layzie said:

Do you still think he'll be delisted or was that part of the fun?

It's not fun but yes I think he'll end up being moved on. No shame in that. As a poster above who appeared to know him as a junior he lacked/s the appetite for the contest. Some just have it, others just instill that micro pause before action which negates their performance. Plenty of others think he will make it and i hope he does.

• Like 2

Watched a lot of VFL on the AFL website this year. As others have opined, he is good under the ball, and above his head. Seems to read the ball in flight well and while physically light on atm, seems to be able to maintain focus on the ball despite heavier bodies around him. Good hands, lovely kick. What gives me a lot of hope going forward is his general footy smarts - seems to have a good read on the play, makes good decisions - but lack of fitness and strength diluting his efforts. Bit of a cross between early Fritta (as others have remarked) with maybe a bit of Jack Watts (in that he doesn't appear to have ferocious intent)? Too early to say if he is going to develop into a regular AFL player. Be very interested to see what his second year brings with a solid preseason. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

2025 likely.

2024 is possible but probably just a brief taste for both him & the FD to see where he's at and for him to see what's required to play at the next level a la Chandler in 2022.

His second half at Casey so far has seen a step up in consistency and attack at the ball in the air.

He's a natural in terms of kicking action at the sticks and has beautiful 'sticky' hands when marking.

Plenty of upside potential and for those who remember, i see him as a similar style player to that of the Duke but with a much more reliable kicking action.... IF he is willing to put the hard yards in.

Smart footballer but needs to build the body to acquire the confidence & from that, the ability to impact at AFL level.

On 8/9/2023 at 7:18 AM, Floody100 said:

With the sad news of Petty combined with his injury history it’s not out of the realm of possibility this move forward isn’t permanent especially if Jefferson emerges.

As someone who doesn’t watch any VFL at all I just wanted to get a gage from the guys who know a bit more than me. How long is he away from the AFL ? How good will he eventually be ? Is he more of a full forward or centre half forward ? etc …

Discuss.

I'm sure you have had plenty of responses already. 

I think he will still be a couple of seasons away, but in saying that you never know after a proper full pre season he might get the start of a big aerobic tank.  He does need to bulk up, but he is going to be a mobile up the ground forward, which will compliment JVR perfectly. 

The games i have watched he has had some impressive ones and others where he has gone missing, which is to be expected from a 19 year old key position player.  But he has a good grab on him, he runs well, kicking isn't great but not horrible and can be worked on.

I can see him and JVR being a very similar combo to Hawkins/Cameron, in terms of styles, obviously if they turn out to be like them two we will be laughing.

I've watched Jeffo live a handful of times this year and his game and body are developing each and every month.

He has great hands, and can be a tall marking target.

I think it's important to note he's shared a vfl forward line during the year with the likes of BBB, Melky, Shache, Tmac, Grundy.

He's not the first in line for targets but works hard to be an option for his teammates.

Edited by Adzman
  • Like 1