• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 19 vs Adelaide

Demonland

36 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Tomlinson for Petty - get him fit 

Laurie for spargo

Last swap won't happen and probably won't be popular here, but I rate this kid and reckon he has the tools to take and exceed spargos output as a half-forward. Been impacting at Casey, is excellent and creative by hands and rarely wastes it by foot. 

I really want Laurie to succeed and there’s no doubt he’s got skills and vision but I can’t see how his lack of speed and physicality doesn’t get exploited.

Apart from still needing another summer in the gym I really think he has to at least rotate on ball to succeed at afl level. And with a packed midfield rotation as is that’s not going to happen. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I really want Laurie to succeed and there’s no doubt he’s got skills and vision but I can’t see how his lack of speed and physicality doesn’t get exploited.

Apart from still needing another summer in the gym I really think he has to at least rotate on ball to succeed at afl level. And with a packed midfield rotation as is that’s not going to happen. 

That's probably a fair enough assessment and can't see him coming in this late in the season in the lead up to finals. I think he has the agility and iq to get by without speed, was also showing good defensive pressure at Casey in the last few games I saw.

I agree though he certainly looks better when rotating through the midfield.

Next year I'm hoping we will shake this team up a bit and give a good string of games to Howes, Laurie and Turner (only if warranted of course).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supreme_Demon said:

Adam Tomlinson deserves another chance if Harry Petty is out injured. He has been playing extremely well at VFL level.

I also like the idea of playing Jake Bowey forward instead of Charlie Spargo and have Michael Hibberd (if fit?) take Jake Bowey's place in the backline.

Dont mind this but would consider 

Tomlinson for Petty

Chandler for Spargo

and interchange JVR for Smith with Smith playing Forward!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

Not sure if Jvr gets the nod over Bbb if Grundy comes back. We won't need jvr in the ruck. I think Bbb is the better option.

Yeah, he may not LtD. JvR's output has progressively reduced over the course of the season. I do like that he leads well and I also like his follow-up work at ground level. I think this is important to our forward line function, so Brodie will also need to do this. My concern with Brodie playing as a forward is that we will probably end up with the long bomb into the pocket game plan, which I'm not in favour of and seems to have been worked out by most clubs. Ultimately, for Brodie to be effective he will need to quickly develop forward craft and leading patterns. Given he's never consistently played as a forward I think this will be a huge challenge. Still question marks there...gee I wish Fritta was back!!! Happy we have a softish run in to the finals.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

Yeah, he may not LtD. JvR's output has progressively reduced over the course of the season. I do like that he leads well and I also like his follow-up work at ground level. I think this is important to our forward line function, so Brodie will also need to do this. My concern with Brodie playing as a forward is that we will probably end up with the long bomb into the pocket game plan, which I'm not in favour of and seems to have been worked out by most clubs. Ultimately, for Brodie to be effective he will need to quickly develop forward craft and leading patterns. Given he's never consistently played as a forward I think this will be a huge challenge. Still question marks there...gee I wish Fritta was back!!! Happy we have a softish run in to the finals.

Yea it will be interesting. The upside is we have found a new fwd in an old one in Melksham. I hope it continues. The thing that worries me about Grundy is his marking prowess. Also Jvr is a very good set shot. In the final analysis I would wager that just like Max, Grundy is not a great forward option. Having said that I'm not sure Max can play like last night without exhaustion. So Grundy giving him a twenty per cent chop out would help. Some tough calls for the wiser heads than moi.

• Like 3

Tomlinson in for Petty.

Spargo v Chandler is interesting. Spargo is a lot smarter, and often gets ignored when leading, but his output has been limited, error-riddled and lacks  impact. Chandler is a better kick,  but he was struggling to get the ball at all when he was dropped. I would give Spargo another week - lots of players are given multiple weeks to find form.

Leave BBB and JVR in. They rarely get in each other's way, and keep on presenting. They may not have big numbers, but the other forwards are able to create so much due to their hard work.

Smith remains sub. 

Another thing to consider is Adelaide's strong mid-size and small forwards. Perhaps we need to consider Hibberd in for Woewodin?

• Like 5

Joel Smith has to play. Either forward or back. We need to know exactly what we have here and we need to find out before finals.

Spargo is a liability in the air due to size and doesn’t offer enough in other areas IMO. 

I think Pig is too good to leave out but our small defenders are all very good. 

I still think Petty needs to go forward and that he would be our best bet. 

Edited by Fat Tony
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Doesn’t look like there’s much in it. 

Right elbow to the chin. Not during play. 1 week off at least surely.

• Clap 1

39 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Doesn’t look like there’s much in it. 

25 minutes ago, Lou C. Fur said:

Right elbow to the chin. Not during play. 1 week off at least surely.

23 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Intentional, low impact and high contact = 1 week 

If the AFL is serious about protecting the head, this is 1 week for sure.

• Like 1

I know his name gets mentioned every week and people point out his pressure and tackling, but AnB’s turnovers are getting worse (had a team high 7). If it wasn’t for Spargo’s poor game, I’d almost suggest Chandler in for AnB. 

Edited by At the break of Gawn
  • Like 1

Petty to be rested or managed.  
Tomlinson to play. 

Spargo to be rested or managed or just omitted. Any of these. 
Either AMW or Howes to come in.   Both deserve a game and can show some real energy.  Spargo had zero tackles. Was poor defensively and in the contest.  

16 hours ago, rpfc said:

And the thing to add is that the back up ruck role is ‘a forward first’ and I think the FD has finally conceded that.

Yes great in theory, but the big problem is that Max himself has declared that the Gawndy project has to work. He said exactly that in his post match with Abbie Holmes.  He was a key driver of Brodie's acquisition.

Max can't shoulder primary ruck duties week in - week out any more. The reason he was able to dominate against Brisbane is because Brodie has been giving him relief over the season.

There's 9 or 10 more games to go, Max needs Brodie to play.  I think the FD probably think that the Max, BBB and Brodie combination too easily exposed at ground level defensively, especially with Melky in Fritsch's role and Kossie playing higher, which he did effectively against Brisbane.

The probable preferred solution is Brodie for BBB while retaining JVR. Brodie needs to be able to provide what BBB currently does in the air, he'll be better than BBB at ground level.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, YearOfTheDees said:

I think Joel Smith is the perfect sub player, can cover most of the ground if someone goes down early. Tomlinson for Petty if he cannot get up. Not sure any other changes are needed. 

Exactly, covers forward and back but the important part is his athleticism, his biggest thing is his speed and leap. Injecting that into the game in the 2nd half is more valuable than a player like JJ who a solid player but doesn't have an xFactor quality

• Like 2

3 hours ago, old55 said:

Yes great in theory, but the big problem is that Max himself has declared that the Gawndy project has to work. He said exactly that in his post match with Abbie Holmes.  He was a key driver of Brodie's acquisition.

Max can't shoulder primary ruck duties week in - week out any more. The reason he was able to dominate against Brisbane is because Brodie has been giving him relief over the season.

There's 9 or 10 more games to go, Max needs Brodie to play.  I think the FD probably think that the Max, BBB and Brodie combination too easily exposed at ground level defensively, especially with Melky in Fritsch's role and Kossie playing higher, which he did effectively against Brisbane.

The probable preferred solution is Brodie for BBB while retaining JVR. Brodie needs to be able to provide what BBB currently does in the air, he'll be better than BBB at ground level.

Of ‘forward craft’ is what he is learning - then he has no hope of replicating what BBB gives us.

If Gawn wants to make this work, great. But he is the one who has to spend more time forward and be better leading up at the footy, and leading in the right spots.

As a forward myself, a former forward coach - I don’t think there is a enough placed on having actual forwards who know what they are doing down there. Hopefully this changes that

• Like 7
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

Of ‘forward craft’ is what he is learning - then he has no hope of replicating what BBB gives us.

If Gawn wants to make this work, great. But he is the one who has to spend more time forward and be better leading up at the footy, and leading in the right spots.

As a forward myself, a former forward coach - I don’t think there is a enough placed on having actual forwards who know what they are doing down there. Hopefully this changes that

Ya couldn't amble over to Gosch's/Casey and give Staff a hand ?? I fear he knows Jack about forward footy ;) cheers

• Like 1

I love the idea of Bowey forward for Spargo. I would like to see one of Bowey, Salem or McVee forward of the ball to assist our delivery inside 50. Bowey and Salem have shown they also have decent goal awareness but Salem gives us a bit of extra toughness across half back so Bowey forward would be great. He is a much more penetrating kick than Spargo too so would be far more dangerous around the 50.

Tomlinson should never have been dropped in the first place and Petty's form/injuries make this an easy choice.

I'm not a Smith fan but he has been decent when given some opportunities this year and I agree that his versatility makes him an ideal sub. Jordon must be rubbing his hands with glee!

In: Tomlinson, Hibberd (if fit)

Out: Petty, Spargo

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Petty to be rested or managed.  
Tomlinson to play. 

Spargo to be rested or managed or just omitted. Any of these. 
Either AMW or Howes to come in.   Both deserve a game and can show some real energy.  Spargo had zero tackles. Was poor defensively and in the contest. But he’s Goodys love child so another game is likely.

This [censored] posting just needs to stop. Grow up FFS 

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

29 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I love the idea of Bowey forward for Spargo. I would like to see one of Bowey, Salem or McVee forward of the ball to assist our delivery inside 50. Bowey and Salem have shown they also have decent goal awareness but Salem gives us a bit of extra toughness across half back so Bowey forward would be great. He is a much more penetrating kick than Spargo too so would be far more dangerous around the 50.

Tomlinson should never have been dropped in the first place and Petty's form/injuries make this an easy choice.

I'm not a Smith fan but he has been decent when given some opportunities this year and I agree that his versatility makes him an ideal sub. Jordon must be rubbing his hands with glee!

In: Tomlinson, Hibberd (if fit)

Out: Petty, Spargo

Ive noted often if we are pressing up that Salem drifts forward into a link spot... Dont mind that but very mindful he ( Salem ) does his best work further back being the go to guy to bring it our of half back rebounding.( Jmo )

Id like to see more of what River's displayed...in breaking lines.  Big future this lad.

Im not thinking theyll tinker much with the current setup this week save bringing in Tomo ( hopefully  ) .. a bit harsh on Smith in a fashion as he's done ok recently... but the backline with Tomo is better.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, old55 said:

Agree with this.

While a fan of BBB, his knee injury has cruelled his agility, which was never his main attribute and imo he is very near the end.

Grundy is a bigger bodied, more mobile player who can do what BBB does, maybe not as accurately kicking for goal, but can save Max from burnout, JVR from ruck injury and allow him to concentrate on his key forward role and at worst, provide the contest and bring the ball to ground.

Fritta will return and bring his opportunistic goal scoring, but Tom Mac may not return.

Therefore it’s probably Grundy or BBB for the big key forward role and probably/possibly at this stage, Grundy can offer more.

I can understand what the FD is thinking here.

• Like 1