NON-MFC: Rd 15 2023

Demonland

4 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

No, because Adelaide are a decent side who love to move the ball quickly, which is something that we have trouble with. They also have excellent ground ball players in their forward half, which is another weakness of ours. 
They also have Burgess who would know the ins and outs of our side and has them running hot in second halves. 

It is hardly a guaranteed win. 

Compare the forwards.

Tex, Fogarty, Thilthorpe, Rachelle, Rankin and Pedlar.

Fritta, JVR, Smith, Kozzie, Spargo and ANB.

There is another reason for us to worry.

• Facepalm 1

46 minutes ago, binman said:

I was being facetious Jaded.

That said - why on earth would you be concerned we'll beat the crows?

Because we got beaten the by the cats and the umpires at a ground they have a huge advantage at, the week after being far too good for the supposedly unbeatable pies?

Genuinely surprised you think the umpires contributed to our loss we had the game in our control and then just seemed to lose all structure in the last quarter. We seemed to push too many into our forward 50 repeatedly only to be burnt on silly turnovers repeatedly 

• Like 1

Happy for the Suns. they will be out of finals on % only. they have a lot against them but i like the way they play. Lukosius talent wise is one of the best in the league. and they are missing their best player. 

Will give the Pies a game at home next week

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

No, because Adelaide are a decent side who love to move the ball quickly, which is something that we have trouble with. They also have excellent ground ball players in their forward half, which is another weakness of ours. 
They also have Burgess who would know the ins and outs of our side and has them running hot in second halves. 

Of course it isn't a guaranteed win. They're a good team.

5 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Only 4 teams got to play each other off a bye this year, todays Crows and Collingwood, and Saints and Swans a few weeks back.

The numbers are terrible for teams of the bye. No team has won playing a team who didn’t have the bye the week before.

The loses include:

Lions to Hawks
Dockers to Tigers
Geelong to Port
Suns to Carlton
Essendon to Dockers
Eagles to Swans Horror show
Us in Geelong

The only team not to play yet is the hawks who play the Suns today. If they lose literally every team off the bye has lost playing against a team that played.

It’s obviously not a coincidence.

And that makes it 8 straight losses (most of them capitulations) by teams coming off a bye playing teams that didn’t. 

🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deebauched said:

Amazing how much hatred there is on this forum for Essendon. LOL. Apart from the dirty 2000 GF ( we didnt fight back, too soft) they've humiliated us far less than Geelong and Hawthorn over the years.

They beat us up regularly during the 80's and 90's.
2000GF.
2004 elim ( the last final they won)
Won Neil Danihers last game as coach hitting the front with 20seconds to go.
Arrogant supporters.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

46 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Picked this up off twitter. Not sure why the photo looks weird but it shows the 
last contest where Dawson coped a high one on the shnoz.

image.thumb.jpeg.796c5da2ee26027c42f2d630d1b98f36.jpeg

Robbed.

Was about to post: what crapfy umpiring - again. Also, Rankine kicked a goal. He touched the ball BEFORE it crossed the line.

And what was the Cox Free for? The Adelaide players response indicated it was total sullbhit.

Edited by Monbon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

I'm with you Jaded, if we aren't firing on most cylinders we will get done in that game plain and simple. They have the best forward 50 stoppage player in the league and the ground ball isn't exactly our strength back there. 

A 2 quarter effort like Thursday won't get it done against the Crows.

Edited by layzie
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Clintosaurus said:

And the umpires. All under instruction. I really wonder what the umpires are told by their coaches.

I felt I was watching a bona fide final quarter in a GF.

Umpires just lazily put the whistle away.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Monbon said:

Was about to post: what crapfy umpiring - again. Also, Rankine kicked a goal. He touched the ball BEFORE it crossed the line.

And what was the Cox Free for? The Adelaide players response indicated it was total sullbhit.

I would love to see a captain pull all the players together after a seriously bad call, and all walk to the bench to call the coach down and discuss walking off. Would never happen (although it should) AND then the AFL might just wake up to the umpiring crisis.

Suited "nuff nuff's on 6 figures just have no idea that they are ruining the game. I have been going to games since 1956 and I am fed up with the way the game is going. Fixtures, Umpiring, MRO/ Tribunal is/has left a bad taste for the game in my mouth.

My love for the MFC keeps me going BUT there will a time I just don't go or follow. I am teetering now.

• Like 5

Press gushing over Collingwood today, of course nothing about several non calls that went their way late in the game.

• Like 1

What is it about people blaming umpires yes they make mistakes, caught on the wrong side to see, think players are ducking ect, the crows blew it themselves in the second quarter full stop wasn't the umpires fault for the turnovers, sloppy kicks and handballs and the pies in the third, while I agree it's frustrating at times, then what's the answer get rid of the umpires and let the captains call it ....lol., they have a hard job, it's a quick moving contact sport, it's not easy to officiate. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

What is it about people blaming umpires yes they make mistakes, caught on the wrong side to see, think players are ducking ect, the crows blew it themselves in the second quarter full stop wasn't the umpires fault for the turnovers, sloppy kicks and handballs and the pies in the third, while I agree it's frustrating at times, then what's the answer get rid of the umpires and let the captains call it ....lol., they have a hard job, it's a quick moving contact sport, it's not easy to officiate. 

I agree mostly with your point of view. However, when there are a chain of inconsistent calls, then I don't see how one can come to any other conclusion than that there ought to be some consistency - neutral consistency at that. You can point to any amount of errors a team makes but both teams make similar errors at some points of tightly contested games and I believe it's simply wrong that an umpiring error is the difference between victory or defeat. 

The bottom line about this game is that Rankines kick was a goal, and a punch to the face in a marking contest is a free kick any day of the week except when a Collingwood player is the puncher in a game at the MCG>

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Monbon said:

I agree mostly with your point of view. However, when there are a chain of inconsistent calls, then I don't see how one can come to any other conclusion than that there ought to be some consistency - neutral consistency at that. You can point to any amount of errors a team makes but both teams make similar errors at some points of tightly contested games and I believe it's simply wrong that an umpiring error is the difference between victory or defeat. 

The bottom line about this game is that Rankines kick was a goal, and a punch to the face in a marking contest is a free kick any day of the week except when a Collingwood player is the puncher in a game at the MCG>

Only if they see it or deem it as not worth giving but it's no good everyone complaining about the umpires, so what's the answer is the question.

4 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Only if they see it or deem it as not worth giving but it's no good everyone complaining about the umpires, so what's the answer is the question.

I normally don't like to comment on umpires in our games, no matter how bad I feel it was, as I realise I'm coming from a biased point of view. But when I see the inconsistencies in games I have no investment in it says to me the issue is real. It is not umpires making mistakes, that can happen. It's when the inconsistency starts at crucial times in a game affecting momentum or stopping a run on etc that I get really annoyed and frustrated. 

There should never be a pile on to individual umpires but unless there are complaints about the collective nothing will change. 

There should be scrutiny on umpires as they are well paid, not full time, but we'll paid. That the AFL doesn't allow it is a huge part of the problem. Openess and scrutiny will improve the overall quality of umpiring and stop the AFLs collusion, real or perceived, of umpires to control outcomes of games. I'm of the view that they are instructed to keep results close or from blowing out where possible.

I don't care if a free kick count is one sided, so long as the decisions are applied consistently. 

• Like 4