Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 11 vs Walyalup

Demonland

26 minutes ago, A F said:

One test failed, three to go. If we can go 2-2 we're still in the hunt for top 2, let alone top 4.

We were pathetic today, but our lack of depth in the VFL (TMac, JVR, McVee and Chandler shouldn't have been playing today) doesn't help the situation.

We looked so fumbly and I've never seen so many dropped intercept marks. I'd say we dropped between 15-20 marks May, Lever and Gawn should have taken. They take them and the pressure value is released. Instead, they drop them, even when they were the +1 behind the ball, and then the pressure comes at ground level.

Even when we managed to cause a turnover, we fumbled and lacked the ability to slingshot. Freo's pressure was excellent and their system (copied from us) behind the ball was very organised. But, our inability to switch, or give to runners was nowhere.

We played down the one wing practically all day and never looked to switch. I can only assume this was an instruction based on either fitness or ensuring our numbers could block up any turnover going the other way. It meant that our ball movement reverted to 2022. Predictable, slow and lacking in ideas. If you're going to kick long to a contest, you have to have players at the foot of the ball for spillages.

We missed Oliver, but he wasn't the difference. They played without Darcy for over a half of football.

I'm gonna say it and people won't like it, but we looked like we'd been flogged on the training track and I wouldn't be surprised if we're in a heavy loading block, building up to the Collingwood match. But we need to get these results going our way, against middling teams like Freo. 

The waning accuracy, poor decision making, poor disposal and lack of attack are also signs of fatigue just FYI...

Yes agree with this. Watching Collingwood on the rampage, the thing that stands out is their quick lateral movement of the ball and use of the whole ground from half back to stretch opposition defenders. So what are we doing replicating our 2022 one dimensional, predictable ball movement, playing the southern wing all day? We had opportunities to switch but rarely did. Not sure about the training issue but we do look slow and so the midfield is incapable of running the ball into the forward 50 and spotting up a short lead, instead booting the ball long from outside 50m hoping for a pack mark. It’s the 2022 failed game plan revisited, very disappointing. And our fabulous set shot goal kicking accuracy has gone missing as well. We need Petty and Oliver back asap but this just highlights the lack of depth on our list. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Canplay said:

When was the last time we played a game where we developed and executed a specific gameplay to beat the opposition?   We play the same predictable football every week -  we’ve been beaten in similar fashion for 12 months yet we don’t change or adjust anything -  during the game or week to week

Glad people are catching on, welcome to the bandwagon.

• Like 2

I want to hear from Alan Richardson. When he coached the Saints, they would regularly beat us .I reckon he's a very good game-day coach, and runs the show well.

What does he think of a backline which is one tall short (and therefore cripples Lever)? Of a forward line with TMac getting in everyone's way? What does he make of Langdon's form? What happened to Spargo?

Of course, even if he were to give an interview or two, he wouldn't say anything, but <anything> is better than listening to Goodwin.

Choco better have a good word with them this week. 5 missed set shots from directly in front. 

A 24 point xscore swing on scores alone, not counting all the blunders which seem to be the melbourne way going forward at the moment.

Never been to a more frustrating game of football.

Screenshot_20230527_181935_Twitter.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, DeeZee said:

I’m starting to doubt that this group has the desire to bring home another flag anytime soon

This is for me, the biggest issue we currently face. 

A lot went right in 2021, but the one intangible that got us to the flag was the unwavering buy in and desire to win. That has gone missing since 2021, and it’s frankly a slap in the face to the large majority of our supporters who weren’t there to experience the premiership. If our players are not driven to win a flag in front of their supporters who have eaten a lot of [censored] from this club for many decades, then what exactly are they motivated by?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Bleedin' gondalas, there is a bit to be worried about right now.

There was something said in either the first or second quarter by one of the commentators on Fox who said that we didn't have connection and relied to heavily individual efforts (the skill of the players).

Now, what I'm about to say is after a couple of beers, but I don't neccessarily disagree with him but thought it might be interesting to rather than go we are d00med break it out into the three things I think are most important adding something they didn't (again, beers) with the first one being most important (IMO). 

1. System.

2. Connection

3. Quality of Players

Starting from the bottom of the above (to be confusing).

1. We obviously have the quality, we all see the bursts. Except maybe the forward line where we can't seem to take a contested mark right now to save ourselves.

2. Connection is a huge problem (leads into point 3).

3. System. It's not looking like it works, and when it does it's because of 1 and 2 (even against bad sides).

In conclusion (haha), it's not feeling like 2021 or even 2022 (we were busted at the end), but right now we look like a middle of the road side, that will granted make finals (based on points 3 and then 1 haha) but not do too much.

Anyhoo, I'm not even convinced what I'm saying is right, but to an outside numpty this doesn't feel like a good trajectory.

40 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

We need a forward who can get separation and take a mark besides Fritsch. Having said that if any one of mids is kicking to them its even money they miss the target anyway.  Egads. 

The forward separation can’t be blamed on the players. It’s clearly a coaching decision. Fritsch and Koz are the only 2 players who ever get any separation. The other players are coached to stay together.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Premiership window is almost shut if not shut, such a waste & one wonders if the weight of the premiership medals are weighing them down?? It will be very sad if this group just hangs around playing finals in the bottom 4 of the 8 & then fall of the cliff, I’d challenge them on their culture & their leaders 

4 minutes ago, Newport34 said:

Lots of criticism directed towards the coaches. Some may be warranted but this year has 2020 vibes going on. At the end of 2020 going into 2021, something big happened. The players actually took ownership of their performances and did something about it. We are at the stage again now. The players need to fix this. Do better Ffs. 

If we were all being honest, most of the first 20 years of this century our players treated us to a lot of bruise free stuff. Lots of senior players giving hospital handballs and just not wanting to go when it was their turn. It made it very hard to be inspired or proud of the club.

As a result, our recruiting changed to hunting down competitors. I've heard from someone very high up at the Demons that these guys are the most competitive group of players going around (also said before the season started that they believe they are primed for a flag this year and if they don't win it, it will be an abject failure).

I'm just not seeing it with these guys. I can't get over how utterly embarrassing we are when put under a bit of pressure. Obviously pressure can make it hard to be effective and we could expect some fumbling...but the answer to that is and always has been to put the oppo under as much or more pressure than they put on us. It just looks a bit too hard for us.

It should have been us facing Geelong in the GF last year and at least making them sweat a bit. We were the second best team in it but instead we got touched up by a plodding Sydney team and a decimated Lions team ON OUR OWN HOME GROUND. Make whatever excuses you want, but we were weak. Then we come out today and serve up that against a team who took our top 3 draft pick from us.

I thought before this season that our guys would be embarrassed by last year and come out with the pressure turned up to give ourselves a look at another GF. But they just don't seem to have the wherewithal to dig in and overpower decent teams.

On top of our guys just being a bit softer than the competition's big boys, our style of play is hideous. I assume we have some analytics department who have come up with percentage chances of scoring and conceding from all parts of the ground. And as a result we rigidly try to move the ball through the same places in the same ways week after week. It is so boring to watch and just doesn't seem to be that effective. 

• Like 2

Was probably some of the worst umpiring I had seen in a VERY long time! What a shocker!!!

As for the Demons.....we were disappointing, fumbly and timid. As Simon Goodwin said in his post match media conference....it was incredibly FRUSTRATING!!!

The sooner Clayton Oliver is back the better!

18 minutes ago, frankie_d said:

I want to hear from Alan Richardson. When he coached the Saints, they would regularly beat us .I reckon he's a very good game-day coach, and runs the show well.

What does he think of a backline which is one tall short (and therefore cripples Lever)? Of a forward line with TMac getting in everyone's way? What does he make of Langdon's form? What happened to Spargo?

Of course, even if he were to give an interview or two, he wouldn't say anything, but <anything> is better than listening to Goodwin.

As for Langdon's form he is becoming a liability as he only runs boundary side and for a wingman that's bad, watch Sidebottom, he connects with forward and backline and midfield in 21 he  just run along the boundary line now.

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 2

We weren't great today at all.  We looked like a middle of the road side.  Which is what we've been since this time last year (and probably a bit before that to be honest).  However, we had opportunities to win in the last - Van Rooyen, Pickett and Brayshaw all missed set shots in the last that were gettable; Koz bellied that one in the third and they got a couple of soft ones (Amiss in the first and the missed throw in the third).  The criticism of Gawn and Grundy is misplaced.  They had 34 disposals, 9 marks, 5 tackles and 55 hitouts between them and were beating Darcy pointless until he got injured. Jackson will get the plaudits because the narrative is about him today but he wasn't significantly more influential than either of our rucks, let alone both of them combined.  What killed us was our inability to get our hands on the ball.  Other than Petracca and Brayshaw, no other Melbourne player topped 20 disposals.  We looked top heavy forward and slow and uncertain in defence.  The effort was there.  I liked Sparrow's game.  He was important in the last quarter.  Carlton are missing a number of important players next week and bereft of confidence. Our approach needs to be ruthless.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, frankie_d said:

l completely agree. Jackson stood up and was close to BOG. I don’t know where our problem is but the list isn’t that different from the great year. we’re been worked out and i’m not sure we have a plan B against anyone but North and Hawthorn who can beat on pure talent alone

They don't have the burn anymore. There is no ferocious attack on the ball and pressure. Our small forwards were one of our keys in 2021, now their pressure and crumbling is non-existent. Our defence was impenetrable now teams isolate Lever and he can't stand up. Thank god for May and Hibberd back there. The only other ones seeming like they gave a stuff were Petracca and Viney, at times Sparrow. The rest are just coasting.

• Like 1

Just now, Demonsone said:

Premiership window is almost shut if not shut, such a waste & one wonders if the weight of the premiership medals are weighing them down?? It will be very sad if this group just hangs around playing finals in the bottom 4 of the 8 & then fall of the cliff, I’d challenge them on their culture & their leaders 

Possibly very lucky to be up in the year that the GF and big finals were played away from the MCG. We might well have seen an epic pant[censored] if we had have played a huge final on the MCG if there was a hostile crowd involved. Think it suited us very well to be very far away in 21.

• Facepalm 2
  • Vomit 1

17 minutes ago, DemonWA said:

I seem to watch a different game to most. Thought both teams defended well and brought the contest. Dockers went inside 50 with a little more polish and snuck a win which we might have jagged if we took more of our opportunities (especially early on). 

Two weeks in a row it's felt like a final in terms of the way the game has been played. I don't think we're far off our best form, but would love to see BBBB get a run. Roo and Tmac just don't get involved enough when they're both in the side

A good take.

Gee that 5% we're lacking is hurting us right now though.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, layzie said:

But hang on, aren't we the highest scoring team in the comp?

Can't wait for someone to bring that little gem of wisdom up. 

Goody will, when someone rightly points out that the only reason we are is because we beat up on the [censored] teams

3 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

They don't have the burn anymore. There is no ferocious attack on the ball and pressure. Our small forwards were one of our keys in 2021, now their pressure and crumbling is non-existent.

This is it. And you have to ask why? Don't these guys want to win another flag? Is it all just too hard? Collingwood have a team of good ordinary players yet they crack in every week...and look at the results.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rufus said:

Possibly very lucky to be up in the year that the GF and big finals were played away from the MCG. We might well have seen an epic pant[censored] if we had have played a huge final on the MCG if there was a hostile crowd involved. Think it suited us very well to be very far away in 21.

What a joke.

We won that flag in one of the most awe inspiring displays of football brilliance the AFL has ever seen. 

You can be as annoyed as you want to be about today, but don’t use it to rewrite our history. 

• Like 9
  • Love 2