PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

8 minutes ago, RDBhero said:

Give Woewodin a go .

Woewodin will get a game when he is ready and not before.  

I loved JVR's attack on the contest in the air and on the ground all night but realistically he will be suspended, probably for multiple weeks. BBB will need to come in.

I really liked the move of Petty back in the last quarter and Disco subbed but we need Petty to play forward again to provide the right contest there and therefore Disco back - Casboult was an ugly match up for him, Fergus Greene is more manageable.

I think Hunter needs to play to his limitations. I can see Gus and JJ sharing that wing when Salem comes back if he doesn't. We might even see that this week with Hibbo back in.

• Like 2

Dont think we'll take the Hawks lightly but we may look to give a few a freshen up. 

Almost certain JVR will get rubber out. Just watch the MRP look at the outcome and not the action

BBB needs to come in regardless. Was in great form before the mystery back injury 

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Fritsch out would be a huge call, chuck an injury designation on it if needed, but come on, he can and should do so much more.

'DeeSpencer', the Kane Cornes of Demonland...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Out: JVR (rested), Turner, JJ, Fritsch
In: BBB, Hibberd (if fit), Spargo, J Smith 

Happy to persevere with Petty at CHF. There’s no one else on the list who can give a contest and 2 way run.

BBB at full forward where he belongs. JVR a rest, get that knee (and elbow) a break.

Spargo back in, we need his pressure, smarts and skills.

Fritsch out would be a huge call, chuck an injury designation on it if needed, but come on, he can and should do so much more. And if BBB is in we need to make sure we aren’t losing tackle pressure forward, let Joel run around as a hit up and pressure forward 

yeah can't agree with fritsch out whatsoever

sideshow bald, hibb make sense as 'ins', and happy for spargo to come back in, but no idea who for at this point

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, old55 said:

I loved JVR's attack on the contest in the air and on the ground all night but realistically he will be suspended, probably for multiple weeks.

Why? In play, eyes on the ball to start with, made a very legitimate attempt at spoiling and unluckily connected. Happens 19 times a game. The player who got hurt was hit in the head accidentally earlier in the match. Why was he even allowed back on? 
If JVR gets suspended for that then the game is in trouble. Players need to be able to spoil. 9 times out of 10 nobody gets hurt and the other one time is a free kick and you move on. 

Chol hitting Bowey in the head late should be a suspension. 

• Like 3

I would not be surprised in the least if Van Rooyen gets a one week holiday courtesy of the MRP, in which case BBB comes in and either Petty moves back (Turner out) and maybe Joel Smith comes into the forward line (is Tom McDonald injured? - I didn’t see him in the stats for the VFL game).

Alternatively, Petty stays forward, Turner out and Hibberd back in. No idea how Spargo gets back in.

Edited by hardtack

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

play, eyes on the ball to start with, made a very legitimate attempt at spoiling and unluckily connected.

His eyes were not on the ball… he was looking at his opponent, with the ball coming from behind him… unfortunately, he failed to correctly anticipate where the ball would be, and connected with the player’s head. It should have been free kick worthy, but as the player was badly hurt and couldn’t continue, he’ll have to do time.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, hardtack said:

His eyes were not on the ball… he was looking at his opponent, with the ball coming from behind him… unfortunately, he failed to correctly anticipate where the ball would be, and connected with the player’s head. It should have been free kick worthy, but as the player was badly hurt and couldn’t continue, he’ll have to do time.

This is not how the system works, at least not in 2023 when action has finally trumped outcome.

We don't start with "Ballard was concussed", we start with asking whether this is a reportable offence.

It cannot be. It's a clumsy attempt to spoil the mark. It's not a sling tackle or a bump, in which we are very clear to say we want those out of the game. This is a spoil. He's trying to do something legitimate in the game but has stuffed it up. 

I'm all for the AFL doing everything it can to minimise concussion incidents in games but when we suspend someone it has to be for a reportable offence, not simply because someone got concussed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Why? In play, eyes on the ball to start with, made a very legitimate attempt at spoiling and unluckily connected. Happens 19 times a game. The player who got hurt was hit in the head accidentally earlier in the match. Why was he even allowed back on? 
If JVR gets suspended for that then the game is in trouble. Players need to be able to spoil. 9 times out of 10 nobody gets hurt and the other one time is a free kick and you move on. 

I’ll be wrapped if he doesn’t get a week. On replay, he looks at the ball, then the player, then back at the ball, then back at the player once he makes contact. 

That alone is a sanction at least or more probable, a week off. 

If he kept his eyes on the ball the whole time, wouldn’t be a problem. Ideally, if he spun around at the last second to pretend to mark it and landed on the player, that wouldn’t be an issue either. 

No change keep the winning formula I like Turner down back.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

13 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

It's a clumsy attempt to spoil the mark. It's not a sling tackle or a bump, in which we are very clear to say we want those out of the game. This is a spoil. He's trying to do something legitimate in the game but has stuffed it up. 

I sincerely hope you’re right, but due to the fact that his eyes were not on the ball and the outcome has not been ideal, the MRP are sure to give him a week (I doubt it would be more than that). It doesn’t help when the commentary team are suggesting he’ll do time, never mind that fact that consistency  in it’s findings and penalties has never been a strong point of the MRP.

I don’t think JVR should be suspended for that and it certainly wasn’t vicious like the commentary stated. He clearly had eyes for the ball when he started the run to the contest. 

• Like 3

If JVR gets suspended then AFL footy is in it's death knell. Clumsy may be but outside of the rules ? Never.

• Like 2

I was a massive fan of getting Hunter in. Thought he’d be pivotal on the ‘other’ wing. Aside from a few moments here and there this season, he’s looked slow, cannot get enough penetration on his kicks and makes poor decisions too often putting team members under unnecessary pressure. I hope this doesn’t become the norm - that we are dealing with a very limited player, rather than one I expected would make a tangible difference.

As I’ve said repeatedly, we need to use our squad rather than playing the same blokes week in and week out. If any of our guns need a rest, next week is the week to do it. It’s a very long season. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

But ump I was aiming for his midriff

The Hawks are awful this year and they will be coming back from a big interstate flogging.

We need to consider the bigger picture anyone that is not 100% fit should be rested (not to casey). The medical and performance team will know who those people are. A freshen up now will help us against some very strong opposition coming such as Port in Adelaide and the filth on kings day.

8 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Why? In play, eyes on the ball to start with, made a very legitimate attempt at spoiling and unluckily connected. 

His eyes were on the ball to start with lol. 

Nobody would be getting suspended ever if that was a ligitmate rebuttal. 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Glorious Day said:

I was a massive fan of getting Hunter in. Thought he’d be pivotal on the ‘other’ wing. Aside from a few moments here and there this season, he’s looked slow, cannot get enough penetration on his kicks and makes poor decisions too often putting team members under unnecessary pressure. I hope this doesn’t become the norm - that we are dealing with a very limited player, rather than one I expected would make a tangible difference.

As I’ve said repeatedly, we need to use our squad rather than playing the same blokes week in and week out. If any of our guns need a rest, next week is the week to do it. It’s a very long season. 

Hunter is  not fit enough in my view No acceleration is forced to attempt to balk which then  puts him self and team mates under pressure. He did it multiple times last night.

? JVR hit on Ballard.  Eyes for the ball ?  Maybe 1-2 weeks given impact of Ballard being injured.  

? Hibberd fitness. Assume he’s right for next week. 

? form of JJ and Mcvee. They were ok but on the edge still come selection 

? rest Clarry. He looked physically spent at the end as he willed as forward.   

likely

ins. BBB, Hibberd 

outs. Turner. JVR (susp) 

Hibberd May. Lever 

Rivers Petty. Bowey

Hunter. JV. Langdon

Anb. Grundy  Chandler 

Fritsch. Bbb. Kozzzy 

Gawn  Trac. Oliver. 

Brayshaw. Sparrow.  JJ. Mcvee.  
Sub. Laurie