PREGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

Assuming Gawn returns, we will need to start afresh in terms of our selection and structures.

In terms of our key targets, I think we will see Brown, Gawn/Grundy and one of TMac, JVR or Petty. I would be tempted to go with Petty forward because we should get Lever returning and Hibberd appears to be available. Our backline looked really good against the Swans because Rivers and Hibberd were able to play as interceptors.

Spargo going out due to concussion means we could reward Laurie for good VFL form or even blood AMW. That said, I would look to play Kossie more as a forward this week and bring Jordon into the 22.

Fat Tony’s 22+1

Hibberd, May, Rivers
Bowey, Lever, Brayshaw
Langdon, Oliver, Hunter
Pickett, Petty, Sparrow
Fritsch, Brown, Gawn
Grundy, Petracca, Viney
McVee, Jordon, Chandler, ANB

Melksham

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

Welp. I’m about to dive headlong into the fray. A door and a flight of stairs is all that separates me from the arch nemesis aka the Richmond cheer squad. Wish me luck fellow Demonlanders. On a wing and a prayer!

Cut to me in half an hour laughing and chatting and FB friending these people.

JK. I never said that.

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Welp. I’m about to dive headlong into the fray. A door and a flight of stairs is all that separates me from the arch nemesis aka the Richmond cheer squad. Wish me luck fellow Demonlanders. On a wing and a prayer!

JK. I never said that.

You'll be fineeeeeeee

• Haha 2

For any Dlanders who haven't gotten to this game before....to quote Molly, do yourself a favour and get there.

It's a great atmosphere and hopefully the team also redeems itself.

Will make an effort next year.

• Like 7

On 4/19/2023 at 8:24 AM, Young Blood said:

Still two rucks vs one whose still finding his fitness and feet in a new side. Grundy will hold his own and most likely beat both for hitouts but its having to cover ground to make them accountable both forward and back thats the issue. Grundy looks great in the stoppages/ball ups/throw-ins but quite vulnerable covering the ground still. Even two lesser rucks can take advantage of this.

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Surprised if Gawn plays due to the 5 day break that follows.

Can only assume they have supreme confidence he can play 2 games within a week.

Maybe this week is time for Shack and bring Gawn in v Norf?   Or would it be too radical to play Max this week and play Shack v Norf.  Don't know who is their other ruckman ?

TMac holds his place and no spot for Schache on the extended bench

Will be interesting to see if Brown plays VFL

Of the 8 on the extended bench you can only guarantee Grundy and Hibberd as inclusions. Any of the remaining six could get the last two spots

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

JK. I never said that.

Think you'll find a fair chunk of them aren't as one eyed as most of the other big clubs.

They went through three decades of pain similar to what we went through.

They also had their own version of MFCSS which i witnessed first hand prior to their drought breaking premiership in 2017.

One of my best mates is a ferral Tiger and he just calls things as he sees it .... no BS and respects the oppo / loves the game & the mighty Demons are his second team.

There is the grog squad of course (assuming Shazza and them are still going)... but that's a diff kettle of stinky fish altogether 🤪

• Like 4

Gawn and Lever in for Tomlinson and Melksham.

Spargo either replaced by Jordon or, presumably, Laurie.

Surprised re Brown. Nothing in the club’s selection article to explain his situation. Assume he is fit but not picked. Which surprises me given TMac’a form. 

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Gawn and Lever in for Tomlinson and Melksham.

Spargo either replaced by Jordon or, presumably, Laurie.

Surprised re Brown. Nothing in the club’s selection article to explain his situation. Assume he is fit but not picked. Which surprises me given TMac’a form. 

Looked fine on the track on Tuesday was in everything. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

TMac holds his place and no spot for Schache on the extended bench

Will be interesting to see if Brown plays VFL

Of the 8 on the extended bench you can only guarantee Grundy and Hibberd as inclusions. Any of the remaining six could get the last two spots

if we are even considering Schache we are in trouble. has shown over 8 seasons he is not up to the pressures of AFL. Last resort depth only

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, adonski said:

No Brown 

His back problem must be more serious than first thought.

So the outs are the outs but the ins hmmm...

Maxy obvious if fully fit (for Melk)

Lever if fully fit.  Disco if Lever doesn't get up (for Tommo)

One of Bill or Dunstan (for Spargoat)

Lever & Max huge ins,  not just for team structure / performance but for their massive on ground leadership.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

McDonald keeping his spot is a surprise expect Brown is still injured and they have no faith in Schache.

Possible line up

B: Petty, May, Rivers

HB: McVee, Lever, Brayshaw

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Chandler, McDonald, Neal-Bullen

F: Pickett, van Rooyen, Fritsch

FOLL: Gawn. Viney, Petracca

IC: Grundy, Hibberd, Bowey, Sparrow

SUB: Jordon

EMERG: Laurie, Dunstan, D.Turner

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

His back problem must be more serious than first thought.

Or they are making 100% sure of it with an extra week?

T-Mac and JVR both under the spotlight assuming BB is fully fit for the following week against Norf

I suspect Goody & the FD probably want to see Schache butter up on his performance at the hanger for a few weeks on the trot.

Edited by Demon Dynasty