• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

They better come out breathing fire.

With all the talent on our list I couldn’t stomach another lukewarm performance . 

We’ve seen two in 5 games so far where we weren’t switched on from the start and it really cost us.

Edited by DeeZee
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, 58er said:

Gawny is not needed till the North game on Sat 29th. Debauched not very observant only 5 days between AnzEve and Round7. 

But he also forgets that we have a 9 day break also. Let's be consistent Deb? 

Gawn not needed? Whatever you say.

Melb gets 9 days Tigers get 10 but thats fine.  Nothing in it.   Thats all i ask. Didnt notice Melb only get 5 days break before playing Norff. Doesnt surprise me but Norff get only 6 days after playing in QLD. No bigee.

Edited by Deebauched
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

How are Howes and Turner competing for thr same spot?

Both have been playing completely different positions to each other at Casey.

Howes has been playin the quarterback role that's been used as one of their main distributors off half back. He's also been pushing higher up the field to add as an extra around the midfield as a sweeper.

Turner played deep defence last week.

I worded that poorly but Rivers, Brayshaw and McVee are all flexible enough against a smaller Richmond side that they could go either Turner or Howes in to the back 7, then shuffle the others to the right roles.

I’d imagine Turner is still a lot more likely to slot in and get Cumberland or Martin if Richmond don’t bring in a 2nd tall forward.

But Howes can play a flank, push Rivers in to what was Hibbo’s role and Gus in to more of an intercepting role which has always been his best spot down back anyway.

If Gawn really is right I expect Petty will be in the backline so it won’t matter this week anyway. 

• Like 1

We looked very small last night. Having Lever, Brown, Gawn and to a lesser extent Hibberd all out helps explain that. Apart from Spargo, who will miss because of the mandatory 12 day rest because of concussion, the outs are likely to be smaller players to enable us to put forward a taller and stronger team. 

If they are ready, would we pick all of Lever, Brown, Gawn and Hibberd? If we assume we do, I suspect the outs might be Tomlinson (Lever), Spargo (Brown), van Rooyen (Gawn) and Bowey (Hibberd). I'd also swap Jordon for Melksham or replace Melksham as sub with someone like Laurie.

I should add that unless it's wet I find it hard to imagine McDonald being dropped after being in the coaches' votes the previous week.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

I worded that poorly but Rivers, Brayshaw and McVee are all flexible enough against a smaller Richmond side that they could go either Turner or Howes in to the back 7, then shuffle the others to the right roles.

I’d imagine Turner is still a lot more likely to slot in and get Cumberland or Martin if Richmond don’t bring in a 2nd tall forward.

But Howes can play a flank, push Rivers in to what was Hibbo’s role and Gus in to more of an intercepting role which has always been his best spot down back anyway.

If Gawn really is right I expect Petty will be in the backline so it won’t matter this week anyway. 

Yes I knew that would be the case.

I think the Rivers playing the Hibberd role is certainly something the club will strongly look more as the season goes on. He's strong and powerful enough to start getting the big jobs on the bigger half forwards like Martin and Dangerfield. 

• Like 1

Yesterday we came up against two mature talls in the ruck playing essentially our game plan and worked Grundy over. Richmond don’t have the tall depth available to repeat this strategy, so I’m not expecting to see Gawny introduced to fill a need that wasn’t there in the Sydney and West Coast games.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, dl4e said:

If Gawn is ready then he plays. We need his leadership.

Might need to put him in a time machine to early 2021 to find his leadership. 

Best thing he’s done as a captain since then is stay on the bench in the bang bang bang time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 8
  • Angry 2
  • Vomit 2

10 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Best thing he’s done as a captain since then is stay on the bench in the bang bang bang time 

Except win us the round 23 game at Geelong to give us the minor premiership, kick 5 in a prelim, lead us to a flag, etc etc. 

• Like 19

40 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Gawn is one of the best players and captains in the league. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Selection this week is going to be as interesting to me as any game has been for a long time.

Why? Because Spargo will be a forced out. He hasn't missed a game since Round 16, 2020 (when we lost to Fremantle in Cairns). 

He's been on the team list every game since then, and at times that's been through questionable form. Obviously enough the FD rate his role as part of what we sometimes call our "engine room" (i.e. him, ANB, Chandler, etc.). Without him this week I'm keen to see what the FD do to replace him. 

Two other big tests: Melksham and TMac. We can't play both in the same forward line for the reason of the year IMO, and there's a strong argument that we shouldn't be playing either of them on current form (TMac's four goals against the West Coast 2nds shouldn't stand for as much as perhaps we thought it did).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

Selection this week is going to be as interesting to me as any game has been for a long time.

Why? Because Spargo will be a forced out. He hasn't missed a game since Round 16, 2020 (when we lost to Fremantle in Cairns). 

He's been on the team list every game since then, and at times that's been through questionable form. Obviously enough the FD rate his role as part of what we sometimes call our "engine room" (i.e. him, ANB, Chandler, etc.). Without him this week I'm keen to see what the FD do to replace him. 

Two other big tests: Melksham and TMac. We can't play both in the same forward line for the reason of the year IMO, and there's a strong argument that we shouldn't be playing either of them on current form (TMac's four goals against the West Coast 2nds shouldn't stand for as much as perhaps we thought it did).

I agree. I don’t mind Melksham as sub but I just don’t think he has four quarters in him anymore. I’d prefer BBB over McDonald, but BBB isn’t going to play every game, so it might come down to playing McDonald when BBB needs a rest. I’m not sure what other option we have up forward, unless we are to persist with Petty up there. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

What did you have for brekkie mate ? Stale pizza. If we had Gawn yesterday we would have gone close to winning even though we played like arrogant toffs. It not just is footballing ability but the leadership as well. And Viney who was captain yesterday was probably our best player and did the best he could.

• Like 6

Hope for once we plan around this game and the one against North just five days later.

To me the short break between games is ample reason why we shouldn't rush Gawn back in for the Tigers clash.

And given how well Schache has been going in VFL, it's time we gave him a shot as the back-up ruckman/forward.

Harmes also has to come back along with Lever, Brown and Hibberd if fit.

The obvious outs are Tomlinson, T-Mac and Spargo and I'd also make Sparrow the sub on Monday night with a view to recalling him to the starting line up against the Roos.

JVR, Melky and Chandler all could miss after average games against Essendon.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, adonski said:

IN: Lever, Brown, Gawn, Jordon
OUT: Tomlinson, McDonald, Spargo, Sparrow

SUB: Melksham

Hard to argue. 

We should be up for this; we seem to be for the big games. It’s the ‘run of the mill’ that does us in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rpfc said:

Hard to argue. 

We should be up for this; we seem to be for the big games. It’s the ‘run of the mill’ that does us in.

Agreed, take away our intensity and we look bog average. 

Sparrow may be another forced change:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/star-bomber-could-miss-anzac-day-clash-dogs-defender-suffers-rib-injury-20230416-p5d0sn.html

Merrett’s tackle on Demon Tom Sparrow in the final five minutes of the Bombers’ shock 27-point defeat of the premiership favourites may cost him his place for Tuesday week’s match.

The Essendon star initially grabbed Sparrow around the neck as he grappled with him before flinging him to the turf head-first in a motion that match review officer Michael Christian is sure to scrutinise.

The AFL’s crackdown on dangerous tackles resulted in bans for in-form Hawk Will Day (two games) and Geelong’s Gary Rohan (one) from round four incidents, while Richmond defender Nathan Broad copped a four-match suspension earlier in the season.

Sparrow’s medical report, including a possible delayed concussion, will not be the sole factor, given Christian’s ability to assess an incident with the potential to cause serious injury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

I like the idea of Schache playing. He can play in defence, the ruck and has great upside in the forward line. What worries me is he is great on paper, but has yet to put his potential at AFL level on a consistent level. TMac was given a game on the back of 2 goals, Schache has kicked 4 goals today at Casey. Was he given a real opportunity at the Bullies given he was behind some good forwards?

Everything we dislike about BBB, not a contested aerialist, not good at ground level (although has kicked many this year), too easily out muscled, is exactly what is said about Schache. BBB kicks goals and I can’t argue with that. 

Schache would have been handy given how we were outplayed by the bombers. He could have been the swing man we needed to stem the play. Can BBB, Schache and JVR play in the same forward line with Schache being the 2nd ruck/swing man. TMac should be dropped and  Gawn is too important to risk at this stage. 

• Like 1