Jump to content

GAMEDAY: Rd 09 vs Carlton



Recommended Posts

It's Game Day and the Demons are once again headlining another blockbuster at the MCG to kick off the round of footy. The Dees take on the Blues and have the opportunity to win their third game on the trot to solidify a spot in the Top 4 in addition to handing the Blues their third consecutive defeat to bundle them out of the Top 8.

GameDayRd092024.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was calm and confident we would beat Geelong last week.

This week I'm not so confident and that's purely off the back of a 5 day break and nothing else. 

Carlton have also brought in some solid ins and should not be underestimated. They've brought in Hollands after a week off who'll be fresh so this could really go down to the wire.

It's good to have Bowey back. We've underestimated how important he is to our back half and how much of a loss he's been this year so far.

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I was calm and confident we would beat Geelong last week.

This week I'm not so confident and that's purely off the back of a 5 day break and nothing else. 

Carlton have also brought in some solid ins and should not be underestimated. They've brought in Hollands after a week off who'll be fresh so this could really go down to the wire.

It's good to have Bowey back. We've underestimated how important he is to our back half and how much of a loss he's been this year so far.

Blues will have had 3 games in 13. Same as us when we played the Lions. 
I’m not totally convinced by the significance of fatigue factor in the lead up to the Lions.

If there is any merit in it then the game plan should be to run them off their feet.


 

 

  • Like 3
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Satan said:

We owe them for last year

 

46 minutes ago, Rossmillan said:

Time for some payback for last years final

After last years final, we have a gift for them:

jxSn0eZP_o.jpg

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 7
  • Haha 2
  • Clap 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, SPC said:

Walsh and DeKoning killed us last time. 

bad kicking for goal killed us more than any blues player last time. 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still haven't recovered from our last match against them.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok game day check list.

Mates invited....check.

Dons franks... check.

Bread rolls... check.

Drinks menu....vb vb and vb check.

All ready.

Go Dees.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Rossmillan said:

Time for some payback for last years final

I don't really feel like we need payback. Pies, yes. Blues, not so much.

Which is not to say I don't love the chance to beat the blues, but they didn't steal that final, unfortunately we lost it. 

I was really confident we'd beat the cats. And i think we win tonight. But I'm not nearly so bullish 

Head to head I think we are a better team.

And I think we have targeted the cats and blues games in the same way we did the port and crows double.

We can at least nullify their one wood - their midfield and contest - whereas they can't do much to disrupt ours - our defence, which blunts their other key strength - two gun key forwards.

And they are doing a good job themselves of blunting that strength by not, for whatever reason, playing a turnover transition game that means McKay and curnow get fewer one on one opportunities than they did in the second half of last season.

All things being equal we win most games we play against them.

But all things are not equal. I don't bet on dees games, but if I was a neutral I'd leave this game well alone as there are way too many variables:

- impact of the 5 day break (even if we have planned our program to be fresh and ready as possible, there's no guarantee it will work - we were running out of steam in the quarter against the crows)

- yes the blues only have 6 day break, but that one day can make a big difference 

- what is the impact of the blues compressed scheduling of their last 3 game?

- the blues likely have set themselves for the pies dees double

- I hate to say it, but I rate the pies and increasingly think they are a contender (though will struggle big time to make top 4)

- yes, the blues lost that game, but really should have won, and if I rate the pies then it's folly to under rate the blues (though their defence is suspect)

- the impact of our respective last games:

The blues lost a physically taxing, contest heavy, dramatic finals like game against a bitter rival in front of a heaving crowd

We won a finals like intensity game against an unbeaten, likely top 4 side. The big difference was our game was a low stoppage, low contest, high uncontested mark game that was not as physically taxing but more aerobically taxing because of all the running we did

- how ready are the blues 4 ins: will they help bring fresh legs or will they blow up first game back?

- what is the impact of making four changes, something coaches usually hate to do?

-  we have only made the one change: is that a risk in terms of not bringing in some fresh legs (it's not Griffith's style to do so, and it's probably a sign he is confident all are good to go, but high performance is part science part art)

- leaving aside issues related to readiness or fatigue, do the blues ins improve them more than our one in (I think not, Bowser in is awesome. Straight to hb to improve our transtion, with woey a super sub)?

- how will goody approach this game tactically:

Try and beat the blues at their territory, time in forward half, contest game (unlikey)?

Run them ragged with uncontested marks like we did against the cats (unlikely, mainly because I doubt we have the legs)?

Be more attacking from the back half, use the corridor more and take on high risk kicks to exploit the blues' defensive weakness?

(even though a turnover game might help Curnow and McKay get some good looks, I think this is the most likely scenario. Attack. Hopefully get a 3 goal plus lead by 3 quarter time and control the tempo in the last so they can't exploit any lack of run from us and get back in it)

- how will Voss approach this game tactically?

- it is likely to be dewy again, what impact will that have (it may favor the blues given their ability to win contests and ground balls)?

- what will the impact of a big blues home crowd be?

- what, if any, impact will the umpires have on the game?

- as we saw in our last home and away game against the blues, luck is always a factor: which team will lady luck smile on?

Edited by binman
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This one is too hard to call. 

Fatigue will be the deciding factor i reckon. Our 5-day break v Carlton 3 games in 13 days.

Want to see Petty carry on from last week and delighted to have Bowey back

Would love to win one. We owe this mob.

Go Dees

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopeless case here, not confident at all, but I am wearing my Melbourne socks.  Had to tell you that.  Probs hide under a rock tonight.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Satan said:

We owe them for last year

Definitely. Happened right in front of me and those feral baggers went nuts. But had been quiet all night up till then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I was calm and confident we would beat Geelong last week.

This week I'm not so confident and that's purely off the back of a 5 day break and nothing else. 

 

I was the opposite last week, not confident at all. This week I think we have planned for the 5 day break like we did in Adelaide.

agree it’s good to have Bowey back in the side

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I was calm and confident we would beat Geelong last week.

This week I'm not so confident and that's purely off the back of a 5 day break and nothing else. 

Carlton have also brought in some solid ins and should not be underestimated. They've brought in Hollands after a week off who'll be fresh so this could really go down to the wire.

It's good to have Bowey back. We've underestimated how important he is to our back half and how much of a loss he's been this year so far.

I'm not too concerned re 5 day break as the key impact is limited opportunity for a session to simulate parts of our game we need to work on. Essentially a 5 day break means a focus on recovery and then priming up for the next match with limited ability for a main session.

I'd expect Carlton's 3 games in 13 days to have a greater impact due to limited ability to simulate areas of their game that they need to improve over that time. Their 4 changes also don't help from a stability and consistence perspective.

This said I'm expecting a tough match and well will need to be at our best to win.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too am not confident. I was much more confident last week, or it could have just been blind hate leading to delusion. 
 

Carlton’s midfield worries me far more than Geelong’s entire team does. If they get enough clean ball inside 50 from stoppage, then unfortunately even our best-in-league backline won’t be able to stop them scoring. 
 

5 day break on top of them getting some quality players back, and I’m more nervous than a fart in a perfume shop. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was cautiously optimistic last weekend against the Catters. I can confidently say that I am far more nervous this week. Being in my early 30s, Carlton have traditionally troubled us. Vivid memories exist of us needing to beat Carlton several times in the 2000s in order to secure our place in the top 8 or top 4 only to falter, from memory once this happened twice in the one season - and let's not forgot Mitch Robinson and the infamous "bruise free football". 

But, that's all one for the history books. As is last years semi-final result. 

The head says Melbourne get it done tonight despite our shorter turnaround, but the heart isn't so sure. 

On a final note, despite growing up with a strong affiliation to Carlton due to family dynamics, my dislike of the club has grown over the years. I'm not so sure this is personally directed towards the team per se, especially in it's current form, but for the life of me I can't stand their supporter base. The pinnacle of bandwagon supporters; at least the Tigers and Pies always have strong support. But Carlton? They go very bloody quiet after a loss. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, binman said:

I don't really feel like we need payback. Pies, yes. Blues, not so much.

Which is not to say I don't love the chance to beat the blues, but they didn't steal that final, unfortunately we lost it. 

I was really confident we'd beat the cats. And i think we win tonight. But I'm not nearly so bullish 

Head to head I think we are a better team.

And I think we have targeted the cats and blues games in the same way we did the port and crows double.

We can at least nullify their one wood - their midfield and contest - whereas they can't do much to disrupt ours - our defence, which blunts their other key strength - two gun key forwards.

And they are doing a good job themselves of blunting that strength by not, for whatever reason, playing a turnover transition game that means McKay and curnow get fewer one on one opportunities than they did in the second half of last season.

All things being equal we win most games we play against them.

But all things are not equal. I don't bet on dees games, but if I was a neutral I'd leave this game well alone as there are way too many variables:

- impact of the 5 day break (even if we have planned our program to be fresh and ready as possible, there's no guarantee it will work - we were running out of steam in the quarter against the crows)

- yes the blues only have 6 day break, but that one day can make a big difference 

- what is the impact of the blues compressed scheduling of their last 3 game?

- the blues likely have set themselves for the pies dees double

- I hate to say it, but I rate the pies and increasingly think they are a contender (though will struggle big time to make top 4)

- yes, the blues lost that game, but really should have won, and if I rate the pies then it's folly to under rate the blues (though their defence is suspect)

- the impact of our respective last games:

The blues lost a physically taxing, contest heavy, dramatic finals like game against a bitter rival in front of a heaving crowd

We won a finals like intensity game against an unbeaten, likely top 4 side. The big difference was our game was a low stoppage, low contest, high uncontested mark game that was not as physically taxing but more aerobically taxing because of all the running we did

- how ready are the blues 4 ins: will they help bring fresh legs or will they blow up first game back?

- what is the impact of making four changes, something coaches usually hate to do?

-  we have only made the one change: is that a risk in terms of not bringing in some fresh legs (it's not Griffith's style to do so, and it's probably a sign he is confident all are good to go, but high performance is part science part art)

- leaving aside issues related to readiness or fatigue, do the blues ins improve them more than our one in (I think not, Bowser in is awesome. Straight to hb to improve our transtion, with woey a super sub)?

- how will goody approach this game tactically:

Try and beat the blues at their territory, time in forward half, contest game (unlikey)?

Run them ragged with uncontested marks like we did against the cats (unlikely, mainly because I doubt we have the legs)?

Be more attacking from the back half, use the corridor more and take on high risk kicks to exploit the blues' defensive weakness?

(even though a turnover game might help Curnow and McKay get some good looks, I think this is the most likely scenario. Attack. Hopefully get a 3 goal plus lead by 3 quarter time and control the tempo in the last so they can't exploit any lack of run from us and get back in it)

- how will Voss approach this game tactically?

- it is likely to be dewy again, what impact will that have (it may favor the blues given their ability to win contests and ground balls)?

- what will the impact of a big blues home crowd be?

- what, if any, impact will the umpires have on the game?

- as we saw in our last home and away game against the blues, luck is always a factor: which team will lady luck smile on?

Great comments, can I use them on my mates?

We are better than last year when we gifted the game.
Bowey in makes us better.

Petty usually keeps his form once he is up to speed.

and we have Leb on a wing.

and Disco is providing an alternative to our Mr Smith.

and I do not think the Captain’s run took much fitness away from us.  Just a loosen upperer.

more angst on the keyboards than on the field 

Go Dee’s 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wells 11 said:

bad kicking for goal killed us more than any blues player last time. 

Plus dodgey goal reviews the last two times we played them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BLWNBA said:

The head says Melbourne get it done tonight despite our shorter turnaround, but the heart isn't so sure. 

Funnily enough I'm the exact opposite.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 27

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 31

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 278

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 22

    OVER YET? by KC from Casey

    The Friday evening rush hour clash of two of the VFL’s 2024 minnows, Carlton and the Casey Demons was excruciatingly painful to watch, even if it was for the most part a close encounter. I suppose that since the game had to produce a result (a tie would have done the game some justice), the four points that went to Casey with the win, were fully justified because they went to the best team. In that respect, my opinion is based on the fact that the Blues were a lopsided combination that had

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    CENTIMETRES by Whispering Jack

    Our game is one where the result is often decided by centimetres; the touch of a fingernail, a split-second decision made by a player or official, the angle of vision or the random movement of an oblong ball in flight or in its bounce and trajectory. There is one habit that Melbourne seems to have developed of late in its games against Carlton which is that the Demons keep finding themselves on the wrong end of the stick in terms of the fine line in close games at times when centimetres mak

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    PREGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demons have a 10 day break before they head on the road to Perth to take on the West Coast Eagles at Optus Stadium on Sunday. Who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 527

    PODCAST: Rd 09 vs Carlton

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Sunday, 12th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Blues in the Round 09. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human. Listen & Chat LIVE:

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 30
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...