Steven May's Kicking ??

Cranky Franky

6 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

What the hell has happened.  It used to be elite, a real weapon.

Now he shanks 1 to 2 kicks a game.  Misses 30m kicks when not under any pressure.

I reckon the medium rare steak stuff has frazzled him 

• Haha 1

Salem and Bowey aren’t going much better. The whole backline seemed to have lost their ability to generate run and carry and hit kicks.

Choco doesn’t appear to be the saviour as advertised.

• Shocked 1

6 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

He’s had an interrupted few months.

Do we need a new thread for every negative thought everyone has? I really don’t like Pineapple on pizza. Should I start a thread?

No.  Not liking pineapple on pizza is ludicrous.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Vomit 3

Apart from the concussion which is serious enough, messing in one’s own nest also would have serious ramifications and impact self confidence, standing within the group and internal disappointment with one self. Even if the team forgive and move on he has to find that inner peace before he can move on and catch up. After all we can be our own worse enemies when we screw up.hopefully he can forgive himself and get back to his elite best but he may need help.!!!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, DeeZone said:

Apart from the concussion which is serious enough, messing in one’s own nest also would have serious ramifications and impact self confidence, standing within the group and internal disappointment with one self. Even if the team forgive and move on he has to find that inner peace before he can move on and catch up. After all we can be our own worse enemies when we screw up.hopefully he can forgive himself and get back to his elite best but he may need help.!!!

DeeeZone, I reckon you're on the money here. May is super competitive and comes across as someone who is pretty hard on himself. I've noticed the players really get around him when he makes a mistake on field. I'm not too concerned as he has plenty of time to be breathing fire come finals. Overall I reckon were in a pretty good place for a September assault.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Salem and Bowey aren’t going much better. The whole backline seemed to have lost their ability to generate run and carry and hit kicks.

Choco doesn’t appear to be the saviour as advertised.

Choco has a history of losing interest..or so I was told last season

• Sad 1

There is no need to panic. 

The defense has forgotten how to defend. The midfield is getting beaten and cant transition. The forward line is inept. The rucks are out of form. And the coaches don't do anything on game day.

Other than these minor flaws with our game, all is well.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, FearTheBeard said:

The defense has forgotten how to defend. The midfield is getting beaten and cant transition. The forward line is inept. The rucks are out of form. And the coaches don't do anything on game day.

This seems to be the sentiment here on DL bar a few doom and gloomers. Whilst I'm not adopting a completely pessimistic view, there is a stark contrast with how we are playing now vs last year with or without loading as a factor. Our pressure is way off, our defensive game plan is being beaten by elite sides as a result of our lack of pressure and our forward connection issues have crept back in.

A tell-tale sign of when are going to get beaten is when we are slow to transition out of our defence. This seems to be our vulnerability and teams squeeze us onto the wings and outnumber us aerially at contest and rebound easily and gain forward territory. One can hope (foolishly) that we have a plan b or c tucked away for finals, but i fear not. We have some reasonably good kickers in Salem and May, but we just appear to stand still and are opt to kick it short to the boundary then long onto the wing, hoping for a stoppage. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, IRW said:

Choco has a history of losing interest..or so I was told last season

Interesting. I was told similar by a fitness person from another club where Williams has been

Doesn't explain May's disposal issues, but our disposal on the whole has been poorer this year

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, FearTheBeard said:

Take a look where Melbourne is on the ladder and note we had the toughest H & Away fixture tossed at us by Geelongs favourite son Gil McLacklan. Dees have problems but so do all clubs except Geelong of course. We can fix them. Last September was not a fluke. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, deebunked said:

Take a look where Melbourne is on the ladder and note we had the toughest H & Away fixture tossed at us by Geelongs favourite son Gil McLacklan. Dees have problems but so do all clubs except Geelong of course. We can fix them. Last September was not a fluke. 

gil goes for the aints, has a soft spot for the crom, and doesn't do the fixturing

may has been 'off' since he got concussed against freo and then suspended internally

i trust with the return of regular playing he'll get back to regular form

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CYB said:

This seems to be the sentiment here on DL bar a few doom and gloomers. Whilst I'm not adopting a completely pessimistic view, there is a stark contrast with how we are playing now vs last year with or without loading as a factor. Our pressure is way off, our defensive game plan is being beaten by elite sides as a result of our lack of pressure and our forward connection issues have crept back in.

A tell-tale sign of when are going to get beaten is when we are slow to transition out of our defence. This seems to be our vulnerability and teams squeeze us onto the wings and outnumber us aerially at contest and rebound easily and gain forward territory. One can hope (foolishly) that we have a plan b or c tucked away for finals, but i fear not. We have some reasonably good kickers in Salem and May, but we just appear to stand still and are opt to kick it short to the boundary then long onto the wing, hoping for a stoppage. 

Mate I’m just taking the [censored].

When we are on from we are clearly the best team in the comp and nobody can go with us.

We have a lot of players out of form and we also don’t play on a ground that isn’t afl standard every week.

ita all about timing our run, we will need to win our last 4 like last year to head into finals with momentum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deebunked said:

Fixture excuse is the biggest load of rubbish.

We beat all the good teams last year and lost to the bottom 4.

this year it is the opposite of that.

i am clearly having a laugh tho. Expect for Goodwin being a crap game day coach 

• Like 1

He's appeared to lack a bit of confidence since the concussion and restaurant incident.

To be fair though, I think all our rebounding defenders coming out of defense have lacked impact. Salem and Bowey have been borderline MIA. This time last year Salem was the best half back in the league and was hitting 30-40 passes on angles that opened up options and made us really dangerous on the counterattack. This year since returning from injury he's also resorted to dumping it down the line. I think May is in a similar boat. It can't be easy looking up the field and having no movement ahead of you. The bomb it long kick is mostly a result of lack of options IMO and for whatever reason we refuse to switch the ball too. If the mids separated and gave options then the rebounders job is made easier and they become more effective. 

• Like 2

Steve’s kicking will be fine once he gets some continuity back. He’s a gun. Same with Salem. 
This won’t be a popular view, given the guy is in AA form, but we need to get Brayshaw out of the backline. I love him. Courageous, reads the game, great overhead. But his kicking is dangerous (to us) coming out of our backline. When he kicks like that into our forward line it has less of an impact (if our forward pressure is up to scratch) but in the backline it creates re-entries into our defensive 50. 
Our back 7 last year were all fantastic, consistent, kicks. I really think we need to get back to this. Get brayshaw back on the wing. We could do with another grown up in the midfield. Love JJ but he still has a lot to learn.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FearTheBeard said:

Mate I’m just taking the [censored].

When we are on from we are clearly the best team in the comp and nobody can go with us.

We have a lot of players out of form and we also don’t play on a ground that isn’t afl standard every week.

ita all about timing our run, we will need to win our last 4 like last year to head into finals with momentum.

Yeah i got that. But the sentiment i referred to was the 'everything will be allright - our boys will come good', im 50/50 on this. Most footy supporters with a 2-4 record in the past 6 weeks (1-4 against top 8 teams) would be writing their team off. 

In the 6 weeks, we have done nothing to show that we can shake off opposition teams tactics to undermine us at stoppage and to stop our defensive half transition and general ball movement (The Lions are off in form, and were not cherry ripe when they played us 2 weeks ago). This is not 'form' but gameplan and matchday tactics and simply not having any answers to opposition coaching. Also doesn't help when our pressure is off, but first and foremost we have to fix our ball movement.

Edited by CYB
  • Like 1