Mark Robinson - AFL Coaches Wellbeing

Cards13

Does Mark Robinson actually write his own articles? Or are they ghost written? I ask because his written words are so much better - in the right order, etc - than his spoken ones. He's not Peter Roebuck, and doesn't pretend to be, but his written commentary meets the needs of his employer. That is, easily digestible and on topic.

40 minutes ago, old dee said:

No need to apologise Ernest I thought you were on the money. I have the same problem next Sunday. Still have my fishing rods. Following game is interstate and the next one is probably a night game. Best team in 54 years and I cannot get to a game. 

So true OD. It’s ironic. Or is it our Karma for finally being able to support a Premiership Club that has won 14 on the trot. The fixture is great for the Club, great for its revenue streams, but makes it hard for supporters to get to the games. It hurts. Almost like a punishment. The irony is that when we were down and out, there was no problem getting to see home games. The bitter/sweet of our footy life. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hemingway said:

So true OD. It’s ironic. Or is it our Karma for finally being able to support a Premiership Club that has won 14 on the trot. The fixture is great for the Club, great for its revenue streams, but makes it hard for supporters to get to the games. It hurts. Almost like a punishment. The irony is that when we were down and out, there was no problem getting to see home games. The bitter/sweet of our footy life. 

Forget about 14 in a row, I think that pales,

Since late 2019    I can be corrected  played 35,  4 lost    1 draw  and 30 won

That is as good as any team at any time.   Now is the time to support the Dees,     you must enjoy this time.

Are you going to hang around for another 50years ?   I doubt I will.

Go Dees    for all the older supporters

• Like 3

President’s seem keen to take the credit when it’s going well then step back when the heat is on.

CEO’s despite getting big bikkies like to plead ignorance.

Head of football’s should be on level footing with coaches and just as visible. Particularly when it’s list issues undermining a team not coaching.

We’ve seen the benefit at Melbourne when the people in these roles work together and support each other.

I’m surprised Essendon haven’t put someone like Mahoney out to take the heat, but it might be they don’t want to legitimise the pressure. It’s too early for Rutten to be getting true heat.

A huge issue is the level of analysis is so bad it’s hard to evaluate anyone. The only thing the media seems to be able to do is whinge about poor performance or pick out clips that show poor effort.

It’s a big part of why I think the down the ground cameras and stats should be given more public profile. Better quality analysis will keep the focus actually on the game.

Edited by DeeSpencer

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

I will take this version Ernest.

• Like 1

I never liked him as it was, but five years ago he sealed it with this…

F61B046C-5570-415F-AEDF-E2396454B8F6.thumb.jpeg.a89e15b8f78200baf49a02fd5830f6ff.jpeg

I’m a fan of Neroli Meadows and was happy she expressed what probs most of us felt. 

• Shocked 1
  • Vomit 1

Mark Robinson’s television persona is on a par with Lou Richards and Jack Dyer which is bizarre considering nobody really expected Lou or Jack to be particularly eloquent or savvy media performers as they were old retired footballers of a bygone era, when footy and its coverage wasn’t the multi-million dollar industry it is today. Mark Robinson is supposedly a journalist and for him to be the chief football writer of a tabloid and to be fronting a national Television show is beyond comprehension. Watching him sit there licking his fingers and flick through the pages of the newspaper is cringeworthy. Gerard Whateley despite his shortcomings at least presents in a professional manner. Seriously how has Robbo made a living out of footy when he has absolutely  no obvious talents.

I like that Essendon gets sucked into their own hype every February, only to have it destroyed by May.

Nick Riewoldt showed an interesting set of states on who Essendon actually beat in their run at the end of last season and it was a long list of C and D grade sides. Journos got sucked in, but also because the hype sells papers and grabs eyeballs.

I can’t stand the big Melbourne teams because the broadcasters are constantly selling hope about them, even when they look very average. Us, Saints, North, Suns, GWS and the Dogs don’t get a hopeful broadcast - we often get beaten up on because it’s not going to turn enough people off. Dwayne ‘The Pain’ Russell is constantly doing it.

• Like 3

Maybe it’s been too long since a loss that we’ve forgotten how toxic this place can get when things are going bad.  Much worse than anything you’d see in the football media.
Even a Gameday thread will illustrate the violent swings of fortune for coaches and players.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m surprised Essendon haven’t put someone like Mahoney out to take the heat, but it might be they don’t want to legitimise the pressure. It’s too early for Rutten to be getting true heat

They did, and Mahoney’s messaging was that the peptides overachieved last year winning 11 games 

For a club obsessed with optics it was atrocious 

• Shocked 1

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

President’s seem keen to take the credit when it’s going well then step back when the heat is on.

CEO’s despite getting big bikkies like to plead ignorance.

Head of football’s should be on level footing with coaches and just as visible. Particularly when it’s list issues undermining a team not coaching.

We’ve seen the benefit at Melbourne when the people in these roles work together and support each other.

I’m surprised Essendon haven’t put someone like Mahoney out to take the heat, but it might be they don’t want to legitimise the pressure. It’s too early for Rutten to be getting true heat.

A huge issue is the level of analysis is so bad it’s hard to evaluate anyone. The only thing the media seems to be able to do is whinge about poor performance or pick out clips that show poor effort.

It’s a big part of why I think the down the ground cameras and stats should be given more public profile. Better quality analysis will keep the focus actually on the game.

First thing Essendon needs to do is can Dodoro but it will probably be Rutten in the firing line

3 hours ago, reynolds46 said:

Mark Robinson’s television persona is on a par with Lou Richards and Jack Dyer which is bizarre considering nobody really expected Lou or Jack to be particularly eloquent or savvy media performers as they were old retired footballers of a bygone era, when footy and its coverage wasn’t the multi-million dollar industry it is today. Mark Robinson is supposedly a journalist and for him to be the chief football writer of a tabloid and to be fronting a national Television show is beyond comprehension. Watching him sit there licking his fingers and flick through the pages of the newspaper is cringeworthy. Gerard Whateley despite his shortcomings at least presents in a professional manner. Seriously how has Robbo made a living out of footy when he has absolutely  no obvious talents.

Mark Robinson is appointed the Chief Football Writer of the Herald Sun because NewsCorp sees him as an everyman, a man of the people. This is how NewsCorp views its audience, beer swilling, chain smoking, barely literate buffoons.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Mark Robinson is appointed the Chief Football Writer of the Herald Sun because NewsCorp sees him as an everyman, a man of the people. This is how NewsCorp views its audience, beer swilling, chain smoking, barely literate buffoons.

Views or cultivates? 😉😂

• Like 2

If someone had told me 20 odd years ago that Essendon would now be miring in years of mediocrity without winning a final in 18+years … all the while the Melbourne Demons were the reigning premiers and sitting pretty top of the ladder I would have thought they were crazy and from another universe ! 

I still sometimes have to pinch myself about last September.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

44 minutes ago, Delusional demon 82 said:

If someone had told me 20 odd years ago that Essendon would now be miring in years of mediocrity without winning a final in 18+years … all the while the Melbourne Demons were the reigning premiers and sitting pretty top of the ladder I would have thought they were crazy and from another universe ! 

I think clubs that are strong for an extended period can fall into the trap of thinking that will all happen naturally. We're club X, of course we win flags, it just happens. We've seen Richmond have an extended spell on the outer. Carlton. Essendon. And of course the mighty Demons!

Success doesn't just happen. It takes planning, good recruiting, etc. An all-club effort. The bad times have to go on for long enough where the club realises that it won't "just happen". Richmond under Gale got to that point. Carlton may have got there. Essendon haven't.

The Demons, of course, had years of bitter experience in knowing it doesn't "just happen". But I bet in the 70s there were lots of supporters for whom the good times were comparatively recent, and just expected things to turn the corner any moment now.

Still pinching. GO DEMONS!!!

• Love 1

Not interested in joining the pile on - it’s all far too negative and to be honest, all quite inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. Try looking for positives in life instead of constantly looking for negatives, you’ll be much better off. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 1

The day to day AFL media bore the [censored] out of me.

Begging for a bit of detailed analysis. The couch is the best but barely scratch the surface.

I find myself enjoying AFL Exchange just because they focus on novelty things like the difference in space between the number 11s at each club and it's a bit more light hearted without being the boys club that most AFL shows are.

How AFL 360 is even a show, let alone that it stars Robbo is beyond my comprehension.

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

I think clubs that are strong for an extended period can fall into the trap of thinking that will all happen naturally. We're club X, of course we win flags, it just happens. We've seen Richmond have an extended spell on the outer. Carlton. Essendon. And of course the mighty Demons!

Success doesn't just happen. It takes planning, good recruiting, etc. An all-club effort. The bad times have to go on for long enough where the club realises that it won't "just happen". Richmond under Gale got to that point. Carlton may have got there. Essendon haven't.

The Demons, of course, had years of bitter experience in knowing it doesn't "just happen". But I bet in the 70s there were lots of supporters for whom the good times were comparatively recent, and just expected things to turn the corner any moment now.

It can be especially problematic when the successful culture is spearheaded by a strong leader (Norm Smith, Tom Hafey, Kevin Sheedy) and then when that person finally leaves the bottom seems to drop out of the whole place.

It is also problematic when club's have a born to rule mentality - Carlton are just coming to grips with it now and at Essendon, well we all know what happened there.

The problem with "the bad times going on for long enough" is that sometimes they go for so long club's completely forget how they ever became successful in the first place (see Melbourne). It takes a massive effort and strong leaders to shift the culture and get things back on track but it's no easy task and many try and fail.

• Like 2

God forbid Demonland becomes as precious as the journalists like Caro. Yes he is a nong and a goose, but he cares about footy and his job is to bounce off Gerard doing the straightman routine. I agree his near death experience has had an effect on him. And 360 is a dozen times more watchable than the footy show ever was, or the nest of vipers that is Footy Classified and whatever that crud is with Tom Browne. Flip past Zero Hanger and Mongrel Punt for more analysis. Watchlist was funny today, King didn't want a part of it saying Melbourne is gettable.

By the way super happy Dicko has replaced that snake Tom on First Crack. 

Commentators I enjoy listening too - Montagna, Dunstall, Pearce, Lyon, Dicko, Buckley

11 hours ago, BAMF said:

The day to day AFL media bore the [censored] out of me.

Begging for a bit of detailed analysis. The couch is the best but barely scratch the surface.

I find myself enjoying AFL Exchange just because they focus on novelty things like the difference in space between the number 11s at each club and it's a bit more light hearted without being the boys club that most AFL shows are.

How AFL 360 is even a show, let alone that it stars Robbo is beyond my comprehension.

I suggest you get onto Binman's podcasts .... they're great. 

Note ... I'm not Binman, nor do I know Binman.

13 hours ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Irrespective of which side of politics you support, you can read this post and substitute "political parties" for "clubs" and it still correct.

14 hours ago, John Demonic said:

Views or cultivates? 😉😂

Both. The Herald-Sun/Murdoch press, to their regrettable indictable credit, know their audience. Robinson is that version of a football supporter that a whole demographic of ‘men’ want to be. He can be a ‘bloke’, he cares, can express passion (for footy at least), and reckons he knows more than the average punter because he spends so much time watching the game. That his analysis is empty and poorly delivered if not butchered, as compared to real journalists or insightful ex-players doesn’t matter, because he represents that demographic. It’s the old ‘I could do that’ sense of relatability.