• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

15 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Pickett to Harley.. i jizzed.. 

That is a bloody good win! Don't underestimate the suns. They're going to be a good side this year and years to come. 

The composer from Oliver, Hannan and Pickett was simply huge!

Welcome back Weideman.

Weeds should NEVER have been out of that side, But Goody knows best right!?? Im not sure but if Nev was on Rankine for the most then he was beaten. i LOVE nev but he appears to be slowing down.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Hannan only played 54% game time last night and AVB 47% respectively. Amazing we could manage to this with TMac off for most of the game. They are both having a strong impact particularly from a defensive pressure POV when on ground. This will only get better as we get more run into both of them. 

On the topic of TOG, Gawn had 98% TOG yesterday. It’s normal for him to be in the low 90s but that’s nuts since he is essentially a midfielder. That says to me they weren’t prepared to break our forward structure to put Weid in the ruck to relieve Max - it makes Brown a must next week if TMac is unavailable. 

In the context of Hannan and AVB’s low TOG, Melksham had 91%. For those who want Melksham dropped, it has to be taken in to account that he is putting in the hard yards to cover for the less fit/managed players in the side that is enabling them to play as they did last night. Even though Melksham isn’t playing that well, I can’t see Hunt or any junior players taking on this workload; the only really viable alternative is Jones, who is not as dynamic as Melksham when he is going; that’s why he’s not already in the side. 

• Like 13

I really liked the way Langdon kept his width and provided a channel/option all night.  Early of, GC had no answer, and it looked like Ellis moved into a fairly hard tag to shut this down.  This width is critical to our style.  If we get too bunched, we play phone box footy and do those dinky heartbreaker handballs.  When we have players that hold width it changes our look.  It also adds a defensive pressure to stop oppo players just taking that space.

So this is what Langdon and Tommo were hired for, and last night (and the WC game) they did their roles really well.  If Langdon and Tommo get lots of uncontested possessions, then that is a Win for us.

On a different topic, The kick outs were static.  Look for MAX every time.  But I suppose he won or halved almost every contest, and we were winning clearances, so the numbers stacked up for this approach.  My only concern is that this becomes the norm, rather than looking to shake things up.  Otherwise Max will have 5 on him every kick out.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

On a different topic, The kick outs were static.  Look for MAX every time.  But I suppose he won or halved almost every contest, and we were winning clearances, so the numbers stacked up for this approach.  My only concern is that this becomes the norm, rather than looking to shake things up.  Otherwise Max will have 5 on him every kick out.

Actually, to Goody's credit, the move to have Salem take some kick outs with May providing an extra target proved an important late move IMO.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, deanox said:

Is Sparrow with the squad? Im guessing not: we left 12 behind and only 13 haven't played a game this year.

Yes he is with the squad. but to bring him in for Melksham is a dumb suggestion. Melksham is important. may not be playing at his top but is still contributing.

13 hours ago, Brownie said:

I'M pretty sure we didn't get a high contact free until Brayshaw got nailed in the 4th quarter and got a kick.

The amount of times they had our players in headlocks....

There was a sequence late in the 3rd, around 4.50ms to go. 

Melky was taken high, play on. Suns throw the ball, play on. Hannan taken high, play on and then Rankine got the high from Langdon when he ducked. I was screaming into the couch cushion trying not to wake the kids. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Angry 2

45 minutes ago, binman said:

On the scoring trend, yes it is down which is a reflection of the game adopting the soccer philosophy that if you have the ball your opponent don't. And when they don't they can't score.

But the 16 minute quarters have a funny impact psychologically as you have to keep remembering there is 20% less playing time (so 80 points is equivalent to a 96 points).

And the other factor with 16 minute goals as with 20 minute quarters the game opens up in the last 4 - 5 minutes as players tire. So more scoring opportunities.

All that is true binman but the low scoring did not just start this year. A feature of AFL was always the amount of goals kicked. It seems in recent years 12 goals is often the winning score and the other team does not break double figures. 

• Like 2

Right, it is the day after and the sun is shining. 

OMac did really well and definitely improved Lever/May's role, not to mention helped limit the damage a few times when those two 'higher risk play' types um... 'incurred their risk'. 

Weideman I am just thrilled for.  Don't no why I feel like the kid is such a good human, but I do.  Couple of valuable goals, filled his role very well, and just to mess with everyone's heads, he now is the club leader for contested marks and goals per game!

Goodwin, to me, seemed a fair bit more animated and involved, as if he's finally given himself permission to do more than just 'trust in the plan'.  Maybe he sat down and read some Sun Tzu and finally realised that a plan is not a strategy!  It was good to see and perhaps it marks a moment of development.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Elwood 3184 said:

In today’s paper, Petracca’s disposal efficiency for the game was 64% but I’m sure the commentators were attributing about half that to him. Where do they get their stats from?

They said at the time his kicking was going at 34%

2 hours ago, deanox said:

I can't agree more with this sentiment.  BUT Oliver is regularly punched and hit off the ball by his opponents, multiple times every week. And they are real punches targetted at gut, kidneys, solar plexus etc. too, not just a little flailing arm push like Oliver did to Rankine.

I'm not saying any of it should be acceptable. But you can't penalise teams with shots on goal for the soft ones, and let the others go. 

Oliver has become an umpire target unfortunately. He didn't get the frees for holding the man but gets pinged at the slightest touch the other way. It's a disgrace.

Agree he cops it as bad as any player in the comp. Part of this is his reaction to this from players and they think they can get under his skin. On game day you see him have a go at umps or whinge. 
The club needs to do this on his behalf during the week to the umps div. 

He needs to keep a cool head. Easier said than done, much easier. But if he can he will cop less of it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Is it lucky that Gawn has a good marking day when he’s the best mark in the comp and knows he has his opponent covered?

Last week we ran a couple of set plays of Gawn coming back to the middle. We win the ball but turned it over and got killed.

Against Carlton May tried to lace out a heap of kicks with various levels of success. 

The Giants ground is thin and the Suns had a tight zone. There were a couple of chances to go the fat side and then run in to space, but the forward line and mids have to do a heap of work and hit targets.

We had a strategy that was working and playing to our strengths with Gawn and contested footy. Isn’t that what people want from that coaches?

Sure. The issue wasn’t last night because it worked. But it doesn’t always work because most of the time teams have players who can cover Gawn. 
You can’t be so predictable and we’ve been doing the bomb it long down the skinny side to Gawn for 3 years now. Sometimes it works but when it doesn’t we appear to have no other options. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buck_nekkid said:

I really liked the way Langdon kept his width and provided a channel/option all night.  Early of, GC had no answer, and it looked like Ellis moved into a fairly hard tag to shut this down.  This width is critical to our style.  If we get too bunched, we play phone box footy and do those dinky heartbreaker handballs.  When we have players that hold width it changes our look.  It also adds a defensive pressure to stop oppo players just taking that space.

So this is what Langdon and Tommo were hired for, and last night (and the WC game) they did their roles really well.  If Langdon and Tommo get lots of uncontested possessions, then that is a Win for us.

Tommo didn’t play last night!

5 hours ago, Nasher said:

I reckon Hannan is interesting. Since coming in he’s played very low possession games - 7, 10, and 8 disposals, but it in each game he gets involved in one or two crucial score involvements. I can’t help but feel there will come a game where he doesn’t manage those couple of critical involvements and he will seem like a complete passenger.

I think he still needs to get more of the ball before I’m comfortable with fully relying on him as a flanker.

Don't get hung up on possessions, the only thing they are good for is fantasy football.

I like to review a player's supercoach score, as this is often a good indicator of their impact on the game.

Hannan scored 93 & Pickett 72 from 8 touches each. To put this in context, Melksham had 14 touches and a goal and only scores 66.

What this tells me is that they are both having a much greater impact on the game, even though they have less touches.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Can't believe the amount of criticisms of Petracca's game.  Sure he had an 'airey' in the goal square but for the rest of the game:

• 25 Disposals - Best Demon
  • 14 Handballs - Best Demon
  • 6 Clearances - 2nd Best Demon (Oliver 8 )
  • 5 Unontested Marks - Equal Best Demon with Lever
  • 15 Contested Possessions - Best Demon
  • 11 Uncontested Possesions - 2nd Best Demon  (Langdon 15)
  • 3 Marks i50 - Best Demon
  • 5 Score Involvements - Equal 2nd Best Demon with Oliver (Bennell and Gawn 6)
  • 2 goals (Equal Best with Weideman and Fritsch).

There is no count of how often he broke a tackle but it was a lot.  Rarely gets caught HTB; the ops just can't pin him down.

Stats aren't the only thing.  His was a high impact performance.  The best midfielder for mine.  And, he showed great leadership to wind down the clock before his last goal.  Settled the team.

I know people have their favourites and I also love Oliver and Viney but some folks are wearing blinkers if they can't see how good Petracca's game was.

Clouded by the commentary I reckon. He had 3 or 4 poor disposals which stood out but the rest of his game was great. So happy to see him build consistency and start to turn into the great player we know he can be.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

anyone know where i can find a replay?

Kayo $5 for 2 months?

Edited by Tarax Club

Just now, daisycutter said:

is that still available? i thought that expired a while ago

Unsure DC did add ? mark. There was some discussion earlier in the week about its availability to current subscribers.

• Thanks 1