Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Gold Coast

Demonland

I was impressed with Salem, aside from his 'freakish goal' from a smother - he delivered really nicely into the F50 - I have always wondered why we have persisted with him at half back. 

I for one would like to see him moved to the opposite wing of Langdon, however I can see with the use of Tomlinson on the wing, it's also about having an tall outlet, perhaps TMAC can act in this role from CHF whilst Weid positions himself at true FF.

Anyway, I was thrilled with for Salem last night. 

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

I reckon Hannan is interesting. Since coming in he’s played very low possession games - 7, 10, and 8 disposals, but it in each game he gets involved in one or two crucial score involvements. I can’t help but feel there will come a game where he doesn’t manage those couple of critical involvements and he will seem like a complete passenger.

I think he still needs to get more of the ball before I’m comfortable with fully relying on him as a flanker.

Hannan only played 54% game time last night and AVB 47% respectively. Amazing we could manage to this with TMac off for most of the game. They are both having a strong impact particularly from a defensive pressure POV when on ground. This will only get better as we get more run into both of them. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, old dee said:

Don’t be surprised if Bennell is left out in the next game, they are quite rightly being very careful with him.

You may well be right and I wouldn't argue with taking the safe route with him either, as much as it is painful to do so as a supporter.

There were a few times last night where he looked as if he was going to take the game by he scruff of the neck with his run, but just held back a bit.  As he builds fitness and confidence in his body, he looks like he could explode and become a really damaging player for us.

It would be such a bonus for us if he gets back to even close to his best, I really hope things continue on the upward trajectory. Certainly gives the impression that he has his personal life and attitude right, just needs his body to come to the party in the long term.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pinkshark said:

I was one of them.  I'm not absolutely clueless Bobby.  Maybe somewhat in some areas but Viney was atrocious against the Tigers.  And to be honest he hadn't done much all year up until last night.  Anyway mate, we're all on the same team here.  Go Dees.

Congratulations to you Pinkshark for having the courage to own up, very rare that Posters on here do that.  I have never posted negatively about Jack as I couldn’t bring myself to do it, however, I understand that all of Jack’s issues were on display against the Tigers and that led to some over reacting. 

That said, the reality is that the List is terribly unbalanced with inside bulls who don’t execute well so there will be those that suggest the Club will have to give something to get something we need, so Viney & Brayshaw will certainly be thrown up again before season’s end.  Even more when you consider that Sparrow may well be another of that description that could come in and play that same role.  

With no first Rounder and a raging need for two with real outside pace & execution plus a genuine key marking forward, some hard decisions will have to be made.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

You may well be right and I wouldn't argue with taking the safe route with him either, as much as it is painful to do so as a supporter.

There were a few times last night where he looked as if he was going to take the game by he scruff of the neck with his run, but just held back a bit.  As he builds fitness and confidence in his body, he looks like he could explode and become a really damaging player for us.

It would be such a bonus for us if he gets back to even close to his best, I really hope things continue on the upward trajectory. Certainly gives the impression that he has his personal life and attitude right, just needs his body to come to the party in the long term.

One thing I have learnt over the last year is a greater sympathy for people who get mental/ depression problems caused by physical illness. 

• Like 2

Can't believe the amount of criticisms of Petracca's game.  Sure he had an 'airey' in the goal square but for the rest of the game:

• 25 Disposals - Best Demon
  • 14 Handballs - Best Demon
  • 6 Clearances - 2nd Best Demon (Oliver 8 )
  • 5 Unontested Marks - Equal Best Demon with Lever
  • 15 Contested Possessions - Best Demon
  • 11 Uncontested Possesions - 2nd Best Demon  (Langdon 15)
  • 3 Marks i50 - Best Demon
  • 5 Score Involvements - Equal 2nd Best Demon with Oliver (Bennell and Gawn 6)
  • 2 goals (Equal Best with Weideman and Fritsch).

There is no count of how often he broke a tackle but it was a lot.  Rarely gets caught HTB; the ops just can't pin him down.

Stats aren't the only thing.  His was a high impact performance.  The best midfielder for mine.  And, he showed great leadership to wind down the clock before his last goal.  Settled the team.

I know people have their favourites and I also love Oliver and Viney but some folks are wearing blinkers if they can't see how good Petracca's game was.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

48 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

I was impressed with Salem, aside from his 'freakish goal' from a smother - he delivered really nicely into the F50 - I have always wondered why we have persisted with him at half back. 

Nothing freakish about it, it looked like a totally well controlled regulation shot on goal - is that what you are insinuating?

We need this kind of control, making the most of our opportunities to punish the opposition to become the norm at the MFC.  Would help us stay in an win games that we are otherwise soundly beaten around the ground in - it's the sort of thing that made Hawthorn so good for those three peat years.

Overall, I thought our kicking for goal was very good last night.  Nailing those set shots in the last quarter was what won us the game and lost it for Gold Coast.  The long 50m bomb through the middle by Trac was more celebrated, because it was the nail in the GC coffin, but I thought that Weid's goal in the last quarter that put us a goal clear in frount was super important and a real credit to him.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, big_red_fire_engine said:

Hannan only played 54% game time last night and AVB 47% respectively. Amazing we could manage to this with TMac off for most of the game. They are both having a strong impact particularly from a defensive pressure POV when on ground. This will only get better as we get more run into both of them. 

I know all teams are affected the same but having no real way of getting game time into players not in the 22 each week must be very difficult to manage. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Yeah, it is and i should know better than try and be positive on a Post Match thread.

You are reading too much into my comment WWS. All I was meaning was that that score is a low number re the “Game” in general. Yes it is good that we have finally kicked a good score by today’s standards.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Nothing freakish about it, it looked like a totally well controlled regulation shot on goal - is that what you are insinuating?

We need this kind of control, making the most of our opportunities to punish the opposition to become the norm at the MFC.  Would help us stay in an win games that we are otherwise soundly beaten around the ground in - it's the sort of thing that made Hawthorn so good for those three peat years.

Overall, I thought our kicking for goal was very good last night.  Nailing those set shots in the last quarter was what one us the game and lost it for Gold Coast.  The long 50m bomb through the middle by Trac was more celebrated, because it was the nail in the GC coffin, but I thought that Weid's goal in the last quarter that put us a goal clear in frount was super important and a real credit to him.

No, his kicking was not freakish, that's what we expect of him.. I just meant the circumstance is pretty freakish, and that we don't often see a goal like that... often a smother occurs and it is dished off to someone else to convert.

I agree re: Weideman, again, it's the evidence that updates he can do it in clinch times vs the time against Adelaide, which must have sat around for a while.

My thoughts on Petracca's kick that was marked in the square n the final q - as he burst through from a centre square tap was absolutely fine to attempt - as he clearly genuinely felt he could do it (and it just didn't come off) - it was a calculated risk that failed, vs an indiscriminent bomb. We want players to take 'risks' - when they come off, they don't look risky, they are celebrated.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DemonOX said:

Now I am not a fan of OMac but credit where it’s due, he played well tonight. 

Hopefully it continues. 

His inclusion was huge in this game. 

If he can avoid one out marking contests, he's a very useful player. Uses the ball consistently well and reads the play well when the forwards lead up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cheesy D. Pun said:

His inclusion was huge in this game. 

If he can avoid one out marking contests, he's a very useful player. Uses the ball consistently well and reads the play well when the forwards lead up.

It's a vexed question - like who has the better Jetta (Nev or that West Coast one?)

Who's the better Macdonald?  

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Can't believe the amount of criticisms of Petracca's game.  Sure he had an 'airey' in the goal square but for the rest of the game:

• 25 Disposals - Best Demon
  • 14 Handballs - Best Demon
  • 6 Clearances - 2nd Best Demon (Oliver ?
  • 5 Unontested Marks - Equal Best Demon with Lever
  • 15 Contested Possessions - Best Demon
  • 11 Uncontested Possesions - 2nd Best Demon  (Langdon 15)
  • 3 Marks i50 - Best Demon
  • 5 Score Involvements - Equal 2nd Best Demon with Oliver (Bennell and Gawn 6)

There is no count of how often he broke a tackle but it was a lot.  Rarely gets caught HTB; the ops just can't pin him down.

Stats aren't the only thing.  His was a high impact performance.  The best midfielder for mine.  And, he showed great leadership to wind down the clock before his last goal.

I know people have their favourites and I also love Oliver and Viney but some folks are wearing blinkers if they can't see how good Petracca's game was. 

Not a critisim, but I thought he was good without being great last night.  He has clearly taken a big step forward this season and set a new standard for himself.  If his disposal was more accurate and effective on some occations, he could have been BOG.

That 50m goal in the dying minutes was a real sign of maturity from him.  I actually don't think our whole on ball brigade is that far off becoming the best in the comp and most difficult to contain.  Will just need Brayshaw to find a bit of touch (which I think is coming).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Demongirl35 said:

Gawns marking all night was fabulous and we missed that but geez my hearts stops when he’s kicking it.

Never thought I’d say this but I felt more comfortable with Omac in defence! He did a great job last night.

Weid still worries me and looks so lost but hopefully a few weeks in the team can build his confidence. He needs to learn that, that forward line is his! He owns it. so now Control it and lead the way. Demand the ball and get defenders worried about you and what you’ll do next. Get tough!

melks.. I don’t know what’s going on with him.

harmes in the forward half of the ground!? Yes please. Every week would be good.

This is the Viney we love. Crash and bash. Best on with Trac today.

Trac wow. Maturing as each game goes on. I’m glad to see he has finally arrived.

Melk is playing white collar football and thinks he is an alchemist and can turn every possession into gold. I understand they regard his skill and want him playing outside football, but he needs to get some blue collar aspects into his game.

11 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

My thoughts on Petracca's kick that was marked in the square n the final q - as he burst through from a centre square tap was absolutely fine to attempt - as he clearly genuinely felt he could do it (and it just didn't come off) - it was a calculated risk that failed, vs an indiscriminent bomb. We want players to take 'risks' - when they come off, they don't look risky, they are celebrated

Agreed, it would only have taken one of our players to have read it better and shepherded it through and it would have been in the contest for goal of the day.  It's a little disappointing that our forwards were so badly positioned, because surely they all know that Trac has a huge hoof on him and should have seen the shot on goal comming.

• Like 1

TMac  injured in the first quarter and off for the rest of the game neeed the Weid stand up and make a presence when it counted.

We looked good with 2 talls up forward. That will give him confidence.

Clarry's pass to Petrac  at a pivotal time just shows how super classy he can be. Petracs goal from 50 sailed over the goal umpire's head which was the sealer.     Bennell's goal after the siren and all the players celebrating his first goal WOW!                                                                  They were good moments.

Lets hope we have turned the corner and produce some much better football going forward.

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, old dee said:

You are reading too much into my comment WWS. All I was meaning was that that score is a low number re the “Game” in general. Yes it is good that we have finally kicked a good score by today’s standards.

Fair point OD, but they are shortened quarters compared to last year. I will take any positives atm. Really dont like this year, feels like trying to look through a telescope to see whats actually going on.

Edited by Wadda We Sing

O Mac seemed pretty upfront in an interview pre game. Many thought he was a tad unlucky after his R1 omission, he stated they wanted him to work on a few things before he came back in the side. Last night was a great example of an inclusion being justified. 

Everyone sees plays throughout the game that stand out to their eye, in the second quarter O Mac hit a contest hard on the outer wing to cause a spoil, picked up the crumb and burst through a couple of tacklers and put us forward. A few moments later he made himself an outlet option out of the back 50 with a kick to advantage that led to a goal. A few clean marks also. Renewed confidence was wonderful to see from a guy that’s been bashed from pillar to post and not just from here. Like the team, it needs to be backed up next week but you have to start somewhere. 

• Like 9
  • Love 3

I just watched the after match interview with Weid.  Geez,  he was pumped by the win, getting back in after 12 months and making a decent contribution. Watching you could see how much it all meant to him.

Hopefully he will build on that and be a regular in the 22. Well done Weid.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

One thing which stood out to me with our ball movement into the forward line and willingness to look laterally last night is that it made it very hard for their defenders - they didn't know whether to stay at home and defend the goal square or stay with their man and frequently ended up in no man's land, which allowed us to take relatively uncontested marked 20 - 40m out straight in front of goal.  More often than not, last night we played a very unselfish game honored the lead and it paid off, but I can see that in the future, we will also need to have players willing to take very gettable shots on goal themselves as well and find other avenues to goal, perhaps with a few handball chains to players running into space, to maintain an element of unpredictability, but generally a real step forward.

A few classy and clever little bits of play from Kosi with his tap on to Freitch and Salem with his underground bounce kick to Viney showed we are starting to get it as well.

• Like 2

Lots of comradeship shown last night and little of the selfish play that had crept into our game this year.  Players also seemed free to play their natural game.

How much was coaching related or player motivated (maybe they had enough of the media blowtorch) is hard to know but it was really good to see them rally around each other.  They played for each other and played 'team-first' footy, reminiscent of 2018.

Much better balance of play-on and control.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

29 minutes ago, old dee said:

On the scoring trend, yes it is down which is a reflection of the game adopting the soccer philosophy that if you have the ball your opponent don't. And when they don't they can't score.

But the 16 minute quarters have a funny impact psychologically as you have to keep remembering there is 20% less playing time (so 80 points is equivalent to a 96 points).

And the other factor with 16 minute goals as with 20 minute quarters the game opens up in the last 4 - 5 minutes as players tire. So more scoring opportunities.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

One thing which stood out to me with our ball movement into the forward line and willingness to look laterally last night is that it made it very hard for their defenders - they didn't know whether to stay at home and defend the goal square or stay with their man and frequently ended up in no man's land, which allowed us to take relatively uncontested marked 20 - 40m out straight in front of goal.  More often than not, last night we played a very unselfish game honored the lead and it paid off, but I can see that in the future, we will also need to have players willing to take very gettable shots on goal themselves as well and find other avenues to goal, perhaps with a few handball chains to players running into space, to maintain an element of unpredictability, but generally a real step forward.

A few classy and clever little bits of play from Kosi with his tap on to Freitch and Salem with his underground bounce kick to Viney showed we are starting to get it as well.

Spot on "Balls" I've been crying out for our Mids etc to lower their eyes, have a quick look around and kick in front of leading forwards. Big improvement last night resulting in us kicking highest score so far. Below the shoulders we are as good as anyone. Starting to get better above the shoulders and hopefully this improvement continues and onwards and upwards from here. I hope!!

• Like 4