• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training Ground?

Romey

1 hour ago, old dee said:

And only a decision in five years, God knows how long before works would start.

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Not necessarily the announcement but the completion of the project after the negotiations are completed.

Will be good to have done, and I'm sure old dee and the Deemocracy types will keep the board accountable, but if I had to choose between seeing a premiership in my lifetime or a training base I know which I'd have chosen.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dante said:

Not necessarily the announcement but the completion of the project after the negotiations are completed. There are several options and it will take some time to work out which is the most viable and affordable. Money has to come from several areas and it will involve Govt., AFL and our own money.

Whilst the majority of Landers think the players hate travelling to Casey, that couldn't be further from the truth, it may have been, but isn't anymore, the current group are very happy with the facilities and they are soon to be improved.

Interested to know where you got this info Dante. The redevelopment of the Shane Warne stand is predicted to commence in ‘27 after the Com Games and the Rugby World Cup. If “we” are to be a part of that redevelopment, then the 5 years you mention would make sense. If we are not, then this 5 year period makes no sense at all; and our Board would have a lot to answer for.

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Will be good to have done, and I'm sure old dee and the Deemocracy types will keep the board accountable, but if I had to choose between seeing a premiership in my lifetime or a training base I know which I'd have chosen.

Not sure why you are connecting the two. Can't you walk and chew gum?

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, old dee said:

Not sure why you are connecting the two. Can't you walk and chew gum?

The point I'm making is - we won a flag with not as good a training setup as we have now, so while it's definitely necessary to get this all sorted, perhaps life isn't as all bad as some are making out?

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

The point I'm making is - we won a flag with not as good a training setup as we have now, so while it's definitely necessary to get this all sorted, perhaps life isn't as all bad as some are making out?

@old dee- it’s literally a point you have made yourself in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

That’s simply not good enough. This board, Roffey in particular, said they were going to sort this mess out (give me 6.5 years and I’d sort it out too).

If the masses are gonna have to wait another 5 years for any worthwhile plans, and not even be drip fed tidbits for the foreseeable future, then it’s time to step aside. This is nothing short of failing the only mandate Roffey & Co came in to power on.

Not correct. 

The Board have the majority the of their 4 year Plan succeed including the three Flags, sustained success in all three grades plus membership and corporate records and IMO a very high nearly 30% Junior Membership of the total building for the future.

As well as substantial improvement to Casey Fields amenities plus the surface of the oval. Goschs also improved so substantial Govt assistance has been obtained. If Casey was in the 15km circle from MCG it would probably be the Training Ground for good with Admin etc being added and a venue for the AFLW and VFL with a capacity of say 8/10,000 bring formulated. 

We have never been so well off financially in 164 years and hav come from a basket case a decade ago. Facilities haven't hampered us snd success on the ground  is far more important than the MCG location to be chosen ASAP. 

Before you query the timing of the Plan the record speaks for itself and Roffey is the chosen Board Supremo expected to deliver. Give me a decade of sustained success including multiple Flags in AFL and AFLW snd the Training facility will take care of itself I believe. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

This obsession needs to stop. Yes we want to have an all in one purpose built facility, but anyone who has been to Casey knows that it is a good solid facility which is getting a massive facelift thanks to a local government keen to grow and develop the area.

Our players are hardly turning up to a rat infested Junction Oval and sharing a single dumbbell between them.

Likewise AAMI Park has his advantages as we get to share some IP with other sporting codes.

There is nothing terrible about our facilities set up at the moment. We won a flag with these facilities, so it's certainly not hindered our success.

The reality is that players live far and wide. For some Casey is convenient (certainly it's quicker to get to from the Peninsula than  getting into the city), for others it is not. Such is life. Very few people live 10 minutes away from their job. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

42 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

This obsession needs to stop. Yes we want to have an all in one purpose built facility, but anyone who has been to Casey knows that it is a good solid facility which is getting a massive facelift thanks to a local government keen to grow and develop the area.

Our players are hardly turning up to a rat infested Junction Oval and sharing a single dumbbell between them.

Likewise AAMI Park has his advantages as we get to share some IP with other sporting codes.

There is nothing terrible about our facilities set up at the moment. We won a flag with these facilities, so it's certainly not hindered our success.

The reality is that players live far and wide. For some Casey is convenient (certainly it's quicker to get to from the Peninsula than  getting into the city), for others it is not. Such is life. Very few people live 10 minutes away from their job. 

Well said Jaded.
If you go back to Gary Pert’s podcast interview on DL back in March ‘21 he clearly states that, because it’s a Government led process, “we are not in a position to be able to give a running commentary on the progress of our home base, as much as it frustrates me to not be able to do so”. He also states that “ it will be our home base for the next 40-100 years; we will get there and it will be worth the wait”.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, Neil Crompton said:

Well said Jaded.
If you go back to Gary Pert’s podcast interview on DL back in March ‘21 he clearly states that, because it’s a Government led process, “we are not in a position to be able to give a running commentary on the progress of our home base, as much as it frustrates me to not be able to do so”. He also states that “ it will be our home base for the next 40-100 years; we will get there and it will be worth the wait”.

The problem with that quote from Pert, is that it is a similar sentiment that was communicated by past administrations that have used it as cover for SFA progress and doesn't hold anyone to account. Daisy said it herself that the current situation made recruiting and training less than ideal ... l believe her

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Demons1858 said:

The problem with that quote from Pert, is that it is a similar sentiment that was communicated by past administrations that have used it as cover for SFA progress and doesn't hold anyone to account. Daisy said it herself that the current situation made recruiting and training less than ideal ... l believe her

Me too I have changed my mind since her comments. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Difference is the AFLW are out at Casey a lot more and being part timers the commute etc would be more a problem than full time footballers whose whole life is what’s scheduled in for that day by the club.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2022 at 9:23 PM, 58er said:

If Casey was in the 15km circle from MCG it would probably be the Training Ground for good with Admin etc being added and a venue for the AFLW and VFL with a capacity of say 8/10,000 bring formulated. 

..but it's not.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Seriously? Why shouldn't members be obsessed.

Can you name another professional sporting organisation in the world that is not housed under roof?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A state of the art training facility and homebase is paramount for an elite level sporting club wanting continued growth and success.

The fact that we still don't have one and we're the oldest sporting club in the world is nothing short of an embarrassment imo.

Flag or no flag in '21, if supporters believe that we haven't been impacted and at a disadvantage over the decades compared to other clubs, then you're completely delusional. Even if that impact or disadvantage isn't much annually, it will add up as opposition clubs continue to widen the gap with upgrades to the facilities they already own. 

Top facilities attract players, employees, sponsors etc.

How anyone thinks it's not an issue in this day and age is simply hilarious.

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 8
  • Clap 4

33 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

A state of the art training facility and homebase is paramount for an elite level sporting club wanting continued growth and success.

The fact that we still don't have one and we're the oldest sporting club in the world is nothing short of an embarrassment imo.

Flag or no flag in '21, if supporters believe that we haven't been impacted and at a disadvantage over the decades compared to other clubs, then you're completely delusional. Even if that impact or disadvantage isn't much annually, it will add up as opposition clubs continue to widen the gap with upgrades to the facilities they already own. 

Top facilities attract players, employees, sponsors etc.

How anyone thinks it's not an issue in this day and age is simply hilarious.

You're spot on 'Jimmy'...

We will never know what it's cost us over the years but a fair chance other premierships have gone begging.

Bringing in trades and keeping players has been held up by the strength of personalities in the club like Max, Goody, Mick Stinear and Daisy... but that can only hold up so long.

...and with as you rightly say opposition clubs widening the gap, once this window is closed we are really going to struggle and in fact we may struggle to take full advantage of this window.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

The difference is Gary Pert is a go getter, he proved that at Collingwood and add to the mix we have a go ahead President now (thank goodness) As for Daisy The Great ..... I totally disagree. Players and support staff come to a Club that is successful and want to be Number one.  

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Would be great to have a home stadium/training base on the Mornington Peninsula then, similar to the Kardinia Park set up on the Bellarine Peninsula

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, rjay said:

..but it's not.

No so while we have our 2 location training bases all is not lost. The players are not dramatically or physically underprivileged with either facility. 

If there was a simple answer to the problem of land availability NOW don't you think the Club would have sourced it?

We are  unique in that for over 150 years the very MCG that enabled us to have a great advantage in our match and other facilities is the same facility that we wish to stand nearby and grief is caused by the land availability issue. Perhaps we should have never sold Bentleigh Club and ( if it was big enough I don't know I never visited there ) that msy be a poor decision which has come back to bite us.

Some D/L ers have no idea of how hard the land issue is to solve and it sickens me how casual they voice their opinion almost weekly on this topic.

It's a far worse situation if you were Essendon snd had over 6,500 days since their last  Finals win, in fact 19 years and counting. We may well have a base chosen or built before their date. 

It's a decision that can't be rushed  and no amount of Board bashing or finger pointing will magically move the progress of this facility. 

I suggest that some of the more dramatic D/Lers antagonists who are upset with the lack of progress form a group and start being more active and positive on this huge project that seems to have stalled in the State Govt and other stakeholders hands. 

• Like 7