Jump to content

Whispering_Jack

GAMEDAY: Rd 19 vs St Kilda

Recommended Posts

I have no idea what to expect. Last time they gave us a hammering. Bruce and Membrey worry me and with no May down there who knows what will happen. 

I can't make it tonight but will be following the scores. 

Lets hope we can kick straight. I liked lewis in the forward line last week if only he could have kicked straight.

Hopefully Max can dominate around the ground and the midfielders respond with first use. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, forever demons said:

you think you are doing it tough,Iwas born 1952 and was mfc supporter from then on,mfc member ,redlegs member,chucked so much money into this club and here I sit wondering WHY ,just to watch us fail time and time again

Thank god footy is just a game - or we’d all be taking this losing caper so seriously. 

 

F’ing MFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, In Harmes Way said:

2020 starts now

Not sure I agree, but I get where you're coming from.

I just don't buy the 'line in the sand' stuff with this club anymore. We've had more than enough of those and generally failed at them. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like this year has exposed that our culture wasn't totally fixed and when tested (aka 'line in the sand') it doesn't stand up. I'm not blaming the results on that solely as there's clearly many other factors at work, but just the way we've gone about it as a club this year has been so cardboard and listless that it feels like we're back to the 'just show up and get a paycheck' type of culture.

I know to some it might sound silly, and we don't talk about it much anymore, but I still can't shake the feeling that things turned somewhat with the cancelled camp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Backing us in for a win tonight. 

We play Marvel well and we haven't been playing bad footy recently. I think we are due a win. 

Just watched Captain Marvel on the trip over..... this could be an omen?

One thing I know for sure is that Brie Larson is seriously easy to look at.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

 

I know to some it might sound silly, and we don't talk about it much anymore, but I still can't shake the feeling that things turned somewhat with the cancelled camp.

Power Shifts are never good when the Top Man is usurped. Regardless of whether it was “worked out”....

We will find out how strong Goodwin is this Summer...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Power Shifts are never good when the Top Man is usurped. Regardless of whether it was “worked out”....

We will find out how strong Goodwin is this Summer...

Yeah i think a lot will hinge on how Goody manages to balance his (seeming) want for total control (or stubbornness possibly), his need for better support, building relationships with a group that has had no consistency in lineup this year and re-intstilling the work ethic we've missed this year. Really intriguing offseason where we have to balance stability and change.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Yeah i think a lot will hinge on how Goody manages to balance his (seeming) want for total control (or stubbornness possibly), his need for better support, building relationships with a group that has had no consistency in lineup this year and re-intstilling the work ethic we've missed this year. Really intriguing offseason where we have to balance stability and change.

Yes it will be a defining preseason on many levels. 

I am glad we have the senior fitness position sorted. That is where the discipline must start from

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Seriously though, I’m over “line in the sand” games. I am truly at the stage where I am embarrassed to be a Demons fan. I started barracking for this club in 1966 after coming back to Australia with my family as an 11 year old from Canada (left at age 4). 

I’ve followed this team through thick and thin. Enjoyed the rare good times and graciously accepted the bad but this year has been something else. I believe last year was a fluke and 2019 has clearly revealed our lack of skills, depth and quality coaching. Yeah, injuries didn’t help but hand balling to targets and kicking for goal are the most basic of fundamentals and these guys are professionals? Gimme a break please....

 Behind closed doors, the handful of talented players we do have must be having second thoughts about staying with the club. We are a train wreck and frankly I’ve had enough. I will still follow the team but sadly the passion I once had has gone. I won’t be renewing my membership any time soon. Thanks to all at the Melbourne Football Club. I hope you are happy with yourselves.

Believe me, l hear you ProperDee.

It has been a very long and excruciating ride for many of us.

I was intending to go tonight,  as l have done through all those dark decades and not so long ago dark days. Last year genuinely lifted my spirits for a great 2019. Now that it is here, and looks as it does, l find it much much harder to raise the spirit, than l did in our darkest hours.

I have decided not to go to the game, irrespective of the outcome.

We have played like a hapless rabble this year. It very hard to watch.  Good players have been reduced to hand ball robots with little leadership or direction of or off the field.

Maxy, Salo and 1 or 2 others have played their part.  The rest have fallen off a cliff.

I can't wait until the season is over. I expect over summer, l will be revitalised by the fit list training the house down. 

It's been many years since l have felt so flat about Melbourne Football Club, after supporting them since early 60s.😔

Edited by Hot as Hell
Typos
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ProperDee said:

Reads fine when you insert your own commas.

Comma, Comma, Comma, Comma, Comma,Karmeleon!

Edited by defuture15
One more Comma!
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, forever demons said:

you think you are doing it tough,Iwas born 1952 and was mfc supporter from then on,mfc member ,redlegs member,chucked so much money into this club and here I sit wondering WHY ,just to watch us fail time and time again

Its been a very long time fd, but at least you've had 6 Flags in your lifetime (and I'm one up on you !)  The ones I really feel sorry for are my kids (3 all in their 40s).  As part of our  household they had no choice about what team to support, and they've stuck fat all the way.  I'm not sure if it's out of 'blind loyalty' to the MFC or their old man. (lol).

Edited by Deeoldfart
Typo
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea what to expect, confidence is shattered. If we were playing a top 4 side I'd say we're a chance, but against pretenders it's a lottery.

I think if we lose this I might just start agreeing with Lyon's sentiment that last year was the anomaly. Please show us something MFC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, forever demons said:

on the more positive side ,go dees we can do it

That's the spirit. Need more like yourself. We certainly can do it if we bring the desire and improved skills with our better players playing to their potential.

Go Dees. Finish off year with some good performances and give us long suffering supporters something to hang onto for 2020

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ding said:

Im predicting a win today.

Not a one sided, running-away-in-the-last kind of win... I predict a win that has us falling over the line by less than a goal, followed by the team singing the club song like they just won a Finals game. Goody will then post a video with a smug grin, talking about us having "the will and the want" today. Many fans will also feel flat because of the lack of quality in said win.

Dees by 3 points.

Because 2019

Nah, he'll raise his chin skywards, while dribbling on about "making connections"

I Expect a win, but think we will lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mel Bourne said:

Some pretty fascinating typos happening here  

 

Didn’t realise it was an English exam!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hot as Hell said:

Believe me, l hear you ProperDee.

It has been a very long and excruciating ride for many of us.

I was intending to go tonight,  as l have done through all those dark decades and not so long ago dark days. Last year genuinely lifted my spirits for a great 2019. Now that it is here, and looks as it does, l find it much much harder to raise the spirit, than l did in our darkest hours.

I have decided not to go to the game, irrespective of the outcome.

We have played like a hapless rabble this year. It very hard to watch.  Good players have been reduced to hand ball robots with little leadership or direction of or off the field.

Maxy, Salo and 1 or 2 others have played their part.  The rest have fallen off a cliff.

I can't wait until the season is over. I expect over summer, l will be revitalised by the fit list training the house down. 

It's been many years since l have felt so flat about Melbourne Football Club, after supporting them since early 60s.😔

You sum up my feelings perfectly.  Care factor is not there. Goodwin needs to grab this group by the throat and show he means business.  The pre season Camp no show now looms much larger for me.  The softness of this club is the most relevant point in most discussions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Soidee said:

You sum up my feelings perfectly.  Care factor is not there. Goodwin needs to grab this group by the throat and show he means business.  The pre season Camp no show now looms much larger for me.  The softness of this club is the most relevant point in most discussions.

To be fair, they didn’t want to get mud on their shoes. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t be surprised if Carlton win more games than us  & currently  on track to beat the crows. We are the laughing stock of the afl from prelim to last!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I'm [censored] (really annoyed) that May is not playing as one good thing that could come for us in this last half a dozen or so games is for our backline to get some continuity and really gel together.  But by the same token, I'm also glad that they are taking a conservative approach to May's hammy as I really don't want us taking so many injured players into preseason and a repeat of this year's injury debacle next season, so I'll cop loosing May on the chin.  It's not disastrous for O Mac to be getting another hit out down back at AFL level either.  Granted O Mac has been underwhelming this season to be polite, but on his day he can also provide a sufficient solid option, so I think that also bodes well for both our chances tonight and the seasons ahead that we can bring him in as a backup.

If you look at it objectively,  I think our performance post the bye has been reasonably solid and all the doom and gloom during the week is somewhat overblown and due to us slipping back a place on the ladder due to fixture issues more than anything.  I think we will win tonight, without being particularly confident about it.  Watching us in some of the games post bye, it's apparent to me that we are playing with more confidence and much cleaner ball movement than we did earlier in the year when we were fairly rabble like.  We have been compeditive against several top eight sides in Adelaide and West Coast, without quite being able to crack it.  The worm just has to turn for us soon.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
Really annoyed = [censored]
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I'm [censored] (really annoyed) that May is not playing as one good thing that could come for us in this last half a dozen or so games is for our backline to get some continuity and really gel together.  But by the same token, I'm also glad that they are taking a conservative approach to May's hammy as I really don't want us taking so many injured players into preseason and a repeat of this year's injury debacle next season, so I'll cop loosing May on the chin.  It's not disastrous for O Mac to be getting another hit out down back at AFL level either.  Granted O Mac has been underwhelming this season to be polite, but on his day he can also provide a sufficient solid option, so I think that also bodes well for both our chances tonight and the seasons ahead that we can bring him in as a backup.

If you look at it objectively,  I think our performance post the bye has been reasonably solid and all the doom and gloom during the week is somewhat overblown and due to us slipping back a place on the ladder due to fixture issues more than anything.  I think we will win tonight, without being particularly confident about it.  Watching us in some of the games post bye, it's apparent to me that we are playing with more confidence and much cleaner ball movement than we did earlier in the year when we were fairly rabble like.  We have been compeditive against several top eight sides in Adelaide and West Coast, without quite being able to crack it.  The worm just has to turn for us soon.

Fed up with competitive... we are a disgrace of how this season has gone & just another one of many in the last 55yrs of which suffering supporters have to put up with! Understand injuries have impacted & could accept just missing finals but our issues run much deeper with culture & leadership & question the coaching of the team. Three other sides sacked their coaches & are winning more games than us ..  how the hell does this happen & why? Not advocating to sack Goodwin but ffs we members need f...ing answers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, forever demons said:

you think you are doing it tough,Iwas born 1952 and was mfc supporter from then on,mfc member ,redlegs member,chucked so much money into this club and here I sit wondering WHY ,just to watch us fail time and time again

Is it a competition as to who has suffered the most? Surely not.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

Its been a very long time fd, but at least you've had 6 Flags in your lifetime (and I'm one up on you !)  The ones I really feel sorry for are my kids (3 all in their 40s).  As part of our  household they had no choice about what team to support, and they've stuck fat all the way.  I'm not sure if it's out of 'blind loyalty' to the MFC or their old man. (lol).

if you are one up on me what year was that ,was it 54,if so are you about a very young 70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never mind the quality of the opposition. We save our worst for prime time. Could get ugly and embarrassing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    COOKED by The Oracle

    I can vividly remember when the Demons ventured onto Blundstone Arena for the first time in early 2016 only to lose to the Kangaroos by 20.11.131 to 21.10.136.    Melbourne was then a team on the up and up: young, enthusiastic and bold. It gave up a huge quarter time deficit after kicking against a strong wind but made that up by half time and fell dramatically short after an exciting high scoring affair.  The team lost no fans that day - they were willing to take the game on and attac

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HELP by KC rom Casey

    The Casey Demons finished off their home and away season against Frankston at Skybus Stadium on Sunday with a narrow, unconvincing 6-point victory that left the door slightly open for a top eight berth when the VFL finals begin in a fortnight’s time. While sunny skies prevailed over Frankston in the morning, the skies became overcast by noon and heavy waves pounded the bay nearby as the rains came in to greet the players as the game started. And conditions stayed dark and dreary for the rem

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THANKS BUT NO THANKS by George on the Outer

    Thanks, but no thanks! In a round where the club was supposed to thank their fans for the support during the year, the Melbourne Football Club chose to do otherwise with a 53 point loss to a team that sat 15th on the ladder.  Don’t give us cheap jumpers that can’t be sold in the Demon shop.  Don’t give us vouchers to shop there, give us something on the field, which is why we come to the football in the first place. It was a disgraceful performance, which started with a disgracefu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SLEEP OUT AT THE MCG by The Oracle

    Around about 12 months ago Melbourne and Sydney fought out an epic battle between two top eight teams fighting for the best possible ladder position in the lead up to the finals. The Swans triumphed by 9 points at the MCG after the Demons came back from five goals down at three quarter time. But for its poor kicking for goal, Melbourne might well have won the game and finished in the top four. Who knows what might then have happened for the club in September? As a consequence, the person re

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by KC from Casey

    Two clubs that have been hard hit by injury recently took part in a dour battle under dark clouds and, with intermittent showers falling, it wasn’t a pretty game at Victoria Park on Sunday. Despite all that, the Casey Demons added a little ray of sunshine to their day to get the job done over a "traditional" rival with a 15 point victory over Collingwood VFL that breathed life back into their season. There were a few highlights at the ground that in past days has seen many titanic batt

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE RETRO ROUND by George on the Outer

    We have seen it all before… Yes, a wonderful idea to showcase what used to be in football.  Big crowds, umpires who knew how to apply the rules and not opinions, high marks, skilful players. But for the Melbourne supporters their retro is what it has been like for the past 10 years. Losing games, end on end, year after year.  Opportunities squandered in front of goal. VFL standard players running around at the MCG. Just more of the same, and the game against Collingwood was no ex

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PEOPLE SPEAK by The Demonland Crew

    Thanks to Demonlanders for their input into this week’s preview. Ralphius Maximus is short and bittersweet: We'll crack in at the bounce to create a contest, win our share of the ball, butcher the forward movement and get scored on easily from the intercepts. Not that hard to predict. Big Demon says: Unfortunately Collingwood will win because they have a lot more to play for. We will be good in parts but really the season is well over so we will have to put up with those bell

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    WHAT, NO BLOOD? by George on the Outer

    The feeling when turning up to the MCG on a Saturday night to play a top four side in Richmond, while the Melbourne sits cemented in close proximity to the bottom of the table is like attending the Colosseum in Ancient Roman times. The expectation is that a bloodbath is about to occur. There are 100,000 Richmond members and 50,000 Melbourne members, and despite the fact that it turned out to be a wet night after half-time, a crowd of only 37K bothered to turn up. That should never have happ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...