Jump to content

  • Podcast      

Sign in to follow this  
Dee Dee

Gary Pert?

Recommended Posts

Any news regarding how our new CEO is going? He’s been in the job for a few weeks now so I thought we’d hear something about how he’s settling in. He has damn big shoes to fill!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His job is backroom stuff and to state the obvious it is off-season.  Anyway, not sure what could be said at this stage.  Wait 12 months. 

If he takes a leaf from Jackson's songbook he will keep a low profile and let the football do the talking.  So we probably won't here much at all about him or from him.

Assume: no-news-is good-news. 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

Any news regarding how our new CEO is going? He’s been in the job for a few weeks now so I thought we’d hear something about how he’s settling in. He has damn big shoes to fill!!!

Come on Dee Dee, you can’t be serious. Probably still waiting on his new desk and coffee table. He was up and about for Natalie Portman. Good to see he’s got his priorities sorted out so quickly. 

I suspect the difficulty that Pert will have is that he is going to be compared against Jackson and his achievements. His contribution may be hard to measure unless he has a big showpiece achievement like MFC training and admin set up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that this is Perty realizing he needs to keep a low profile this time.

While clearly not as high profile as Ed, he was a very visible and interventionist CEO at Collingwood. This clearly cost him to some extent.

To that end, I understand why we haven't heard boo from him. However, a staff photo on the Melbourne website wearing a red and blue tie would be reassuring.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

His contribution may be hard to measure unless he has a big showpiece achievement like MFC training and admin set up. 

As far as the football side of things goes, the Alan Joyce/Chris Scott model would be best...don't mess with what's already working.

The training/admin/club home base is what he will be marked on. That's what he's here for...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

He made an appearance at the draft table. I assume he was just there as an observer of JT and his team. 

I noticed that too and wondered why. I don't recall PJ being there in past drafts but could be wrong.

He also was there in the front wave of the drooling throng when Natalie Portman swung past.

He might be trying to get a handle on how the MFC works, or just a handle on Natalie Portman

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I hope that this is Perty realizing he needs to keep a low profile this time.

While clearly not as high profile as Ed, he was a very visible and interventionist CEO at Collingwood. This clearly cost him to some extent.

To that end, I understand why we haven't heard boo from him. However, a staff photo on the Melbourne website wearing a red and blue tie would be reassuring.

Bit hard to expect him on the MFC website! 😳 They would have to remove Basic, Vince, etc first (and add Sparrow)! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will be his own man, and won't be trying to fill PJ's shoes because he can't.  No CEO can be hands off and just let everything run, regardless of who he follows. His job is not to maintain things but to develop, grow and increase influence across every part of club life to the point of a Premiership.

rjay got it right above - Pert's main job particular to his appointment is to get our new footy/admin home base done. 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something about an ex Fitzroy/filth full back that worries me. Can't put my finger on it though.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Demonland said:

Last known sighting.

 

 

10 hours ago, dee-tox said:

Too early to be a podcast victim? Engaging with supporters would be in his KPI's.

Jacka has been great at re-engaging with fans and the MFC of late.  Why not get Jacka and Pert on to do a joint podcast and have them talk us through this game? 

In all seriousness, I'm guessing thathat whilst engaging with fans would be somewhere in Pert's KPIs, I'd recon that would be for the club to be engaging with them rather than him personally... but worth a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tough Kent said:

He made an appearance at the draft table. I assume he was just there as an observer of JT and his team. 

Or perhaps he’s a micro manager?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/1/2018 at 5:32 PM, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I hope that this is Perty realizing he needs to keep a low profile this time.

While clearly not as high profile as Ed, he was a very visible and interventionist CEO at Collingwood. This clearly cost him to some extent.

To that end, I understand why we haven't heard boo from him. However, a staff photo on the Melbourne website wearing a red and blue tie would be reassuring.

What exactly do we need reassurance for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has there been any word on when the AGM will be this year?  Last year was mid December.

I've always enjoyed going to that, hearing from the CEO, the coach and being introduced to the new players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I hope we don't see or hear much from Mr Pert.  The less we hear from that branch of the club the better off we are as it indicates we are stable and running smoothly. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Smokey said:

What exactly do we need reassurance for?

I think the reason is that the appointment was:

a) an unexpected one. I was of the impression that we were going to go with an internal appointment and I wasn't Robinson Crusoe there.

b) colored by Pert's departure from Collingwood in that he was the highest profile person to be roadkill from Eddie's review.

c) made one year out after he left Collingwood. While some mention, and quite fairly I might add, that PJ left Essendon under a slight cloud, he had also had two years out of the game. It seems Pert has jumped from one job pretty much after he left his last one. Are his batteries fully recharged and have the lessons of how things ended at Collingwood sunk in?

To have a promotional photo of him on the site and maybe a comment about him coming to the club would do a little bit in making the appointment more benign. It's not club destroying stuff and whether it pays off or not remains to be seen but having him becoming the CEO equivalent of Doctor Claw from Inspector Gadget makes the appointment something the club doesn't seem to want to draw attention to. I think doing what I said should be a straightforward practice.

That being said, Perty is in a difficult situation as it can be difficult to ascertain how much exposure is too much. 

I think PJ got the mix 100% right with how exposed he was as it was usually when he was required. When he arrived, he needed to be front and centre as we had no real leadership with credibility who could speak for the club. As time passed and the focus moved from backroom machinations to what went on on the field, the team was best served by Roosy in that role.

I expect that Perty will be marginally more visible come the start of 2019. He can't be anymore inconspicuous.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are reading to much into the situation, Colin

It could equally be said that Pert oversaw a flag at the pies, and isn't it great he's head down, bum up now he's at our club?

PJ was fantastic for us, but the stench of the previous CEO still lingers in the memory. Personally, I prefer a CEO to work his magic in the background 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I think you are reading to much into the situation, Colin

It could equally be said that Pert oversaw a flag at the pies, and isn't it great he's head down, bum up now he's at our club?

PJ was fantastic for us, but the stench of the previous CEO still lingers in the memory. Personally, I prefer a CEO to work his magic in the background 

 

If lying if I said that that didn't come to mind as well Moonie, but I let it slide in my initial post.

I also think that we are creating two exclusive categories on what Perty's visibility needs to be: unsighted or never giving us a break from his ruminations in the game ala CS. 

I was a bit taken aback by how much media coverage the club gave when some of our first year players signed extensions. They really didn't have any other suitors and hadn't proven themselves at our club. It seems odd that one of our most important roles has barely gotten any ink on the club website. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I think the reason is that the appointment was:

a) an unexpected one. I was of the impression that we were going to go with an internal appointment and I wasn't Robinson Crusoe there.

b) colored by Pert's departure from Collingwood in that he was the highest profile person to be roadkill from Eddie's review.

c) made one year out after he left Collingwood. While some mention, and quite fairly I might add, that PJ left Essendon under a slight cloud, he had also had two years out of the game. It seems Pert has jumped from one job pretty much after he left his last one. Are his batteries fully recharged and have the lessons of how things ended at Collingwood sunk in?

To have a promotional photo of him on the site and maybe a comment about him coming to the club would do a little bit in making the appointment more benign. It's not club destroying stuff and whether it pays off or not remains to be seen but having him becoming the CEO equivalent of Doctor Claw from Inspector Gadget makes the appointment something the club doesn't seem to want to draw attention to. I think doing what I said should be a straightforward practice.

That being said, Perty is in a difficult situation as it can be difficult to ascertain how much exposure is too much. 

I think PJ got the mix 100% right with how exposed he was as it was usually when he was required. When he arrived, he needed to be front and centre as we had no real leadership with credibility who could speak for the club. As time passed and the focus moved from backroom machinations to what went on on the field, the team was best served by Roosy in that role.

I expect that Perty will be marginally more visible come the start of 2019. He can't be anymore inconspicuous.

Lol.

Love the analogy Colin.  Inspector Gadget - now that takes me back!

I must say I'm being a bit of fence sitter on this one.  But I also sense where you and others are comming from.  It's almost like the club needs to do something with Pert to break the ice, because there almost seems to be a bit of an awkward silence.  ...but at the same time, the more that is made of this situation, the bigger it becomes when I really don't think there is much to see, except for some past clumsiness in announcing that he had the job as CEO.

I'm quite happy to wait it out and see how it all pans out in good time.  So long as we keep winning and the club makes a profit , I suspect Melbourne supporters will warm to Pert in due course.  Will probably love the bloke if he can pull off the right deal and get the job done, delivering our new headquarters.  Similarly if we win a flag with him as CEO, I think we will all look back and think what was the fuss about his appointment at the start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JTR said:

Has there been any word on when the AGM will be this year?  Last year was mid December.

I've always enjoyed going to that, hearing from the CEO, the coach and being introduced to the new players.

I think it's 17th December, 6.30 Dining Room as usual. It will be hard not to compare him to PJ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, longsuffering said:

I think it's 17th December, 6.30 Dining Room as usual. It will be hard not to compare him to PJ.

Absolutely on the 17th @ 6:30 in MCC dining room.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Colin B. Flaubert - My consternation over the Pert appointment was the process which I have heard (outside of Caroline Wilson’s word) was old Melbourne; rushed, the board not fully supportive, the AFL blind sided.

I am most definitely supportive of the club and hope he does well, but I hate that Bartlett has allowed even the perception of this kind of amateurish behaviour with one of the most important decisions a club can make.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    LANDSLIDE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons enjoyed the better of their first half against Port Melbourne on Saturday but fell away badly after half time to lose by 43 points. The Borough enjoyed the early break with the game’s opening two goals but the Demons took control to go out to an 8 point lead at quarter time, an advantage that it held for most of the second term until a late goal to the visitors clawed the lead back to a point.  The Casey ruck of Braydon Preuss and Liam Wale-Buxton were on top for most

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles 1

    SHOULD HAVE ... COULD HAVE by George on the Outer

    West Coast finally put the nail in the Demons 2019 season coffin with a 16 point win, but it was a game that Melbourne should have, could have, but didn’t win. Once again woeful, truly woeful work in the forward line, both kicking for goal and the lazy, cheap efforts of some let the side down. A solitary goal in the final quarter and only 9 goals from 24+ scoring opportunities was the costly difference in the game. The selectors, once again, made a critical error in not selecting

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCREAM by Whispering Jack

    The Norwegian Expressionist artist Edvard Munch painted a number of versions of his famous work “Scream” and, every time my mind goes back to last year’s Preliminary Final at Optus Stadium between Melbourne and the West Coast Eagles, each and every one of them reverberates through my mind as if my head is being pummeled by a sledgehammer.  When I think of that half time scoreboard from that match showing West Coast at 10.9.69 to Melbourne 0.6.6, I feel like the man standing by the railing,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    NOT GAWN IN 60 SECONDS by George on the Outer

    You might recall a regular segment that once featured on the MFC website entitled, “Gawn in 60 Seconds”, in which Maxy would ask the hard questions of his teammates. However, there was no harder question asked than the one asked collectively of the whole team in the last 60 seconds of Saturday’s game against the Gold Coast Suns.  It was either follow me and my example or the Demons’ season, already hanging flimsily by huuua thread, would be truly “Gorn”.  It was at that stage when thos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BOILOVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons caused the boilover of the season to date when they took on and beat the undefeated ladder leaders Essendon VFL by 41 points at Windy Hill.  The stunning result which was achieved with a season low of eight AFL-listed players, will surely kickstart the Demons’ ailing season after they lost their last two matches as a result of some poor third quarter fade outs against quality opposition. Casey got off to a great start with a mid-air soccer volley goal from Jimmy Munro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    LITTLE RAY OF SUNSHINE by Whispering Jack

    There would be very few among us who would have thought realistically at the start of the season that by the time Melbourne’s Round 8 trip to the Gold Coast came around, the visitors would not only be languishing in 16th place on the ladder, but also be sitting a game behind their hosts. In fact, had the Suns managed to goal late in their opening game against the Saints which they lost by a mere point, the gap between the two sides would have been even wider. Such has been the humiliation o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    UNDERDOGS by KC from Casey

    Thanks to the large injury list at Melbourne, the Casey Demons went into their fifth round clash with Footscray VFL as the underdogs and despite a courageous showing up to half time after conceding the game’s first four goals, their third quarter fade out saw them fall short against quality opposition for the second time in a week. Casey went into the game with only 9 AFL listers after Declan Keilty was called up to make his debut when Tim Smith was forced to pull out of the Melbourne team

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    IN THE PINK by George on The Outer

    A five point victory against the eternal nemesis in Hawthorn, didn’t put the Demons back in the black for the 2019 season ... but rather, it added a touch of pink to their fortunes, now showing some sign of life after an underwhelming start to the year. And pink was the most appropriate colour for the side and the supporters, given this game was the annual “Pink Ladies” match.  And none more so than this proud Demon fan who turned up to add his support to the cause and his team at the same

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EASIER SAID THAN DONE by The Oracle

    There is no way of getting around the fact that Melbourne is the disappointment team of the AFL competition and, because it came into the season as a big top four fancy and now sits stone motherless last with a 1-5 win-loss record, it is fast becoming a laughing stock.  The only way in which the Demons can restore any sense of pride, let alone its rapidly diminishing hopes of making the finals is for it to overcome Hawthorn on Saturday in the replay of last year’s preliminary final. 

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    POINT CRASH by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons went down by the narrowest of margins to a strong Richmond VFL combination in the Round 4 game at Casey Fields on Saturday after a rushed behind  to the Tigers in the game’s dying moments broke the deadlock. In a low scoring game, Casey took the early ascendency after conceding the first goal and held their lead for most of the first half going into the sheds at the main break with an 8 point lead. The Demons were led in defence by key position players, Oscar McDonald

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE LAST POST by George on the Outer

    The Last Post sounded out in memory of the fallen around a packed MCG at the Anzac Eve match against Richmond. The silence of the crowd assembled was in tribute to those who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. But the Last Post was also an appropriate symbol of the finals aspirations now gone for the Melbourne Football club, after a mere six rounds of the 2019 Season.   How far has this team fallen!  From a Preliminary final contestant barely six months ago, to cellar dwelle

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...