Jump to content
  • Podcast:      

Sign in to follow this  
Dee Dee

Gary Pert?

Recommended Posts

Just now, Smokey said:

Can’t agree with this. We’ve had a revolving door of coaches in recent history and some continuity in this area was always needed. Goody is a good coach although I’m worried about his selection of a defensive coach at this stage. Goody can’t stop players fumbling the ball and making wildly poor decisions. At some point it simply comes down to the players. 

 

No one is suggesting waiting til the end of the season.  We panicked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

No not directly.

It was Pert who signed ( re-signed ) Goodwin with unnecessary haste.

And what was the alternative to this really? Goodwin clearly has an excellent bong with the playing group and he has their respect. You honestly think sacking yet another coach would be a good move? 

 

Were all all hurting right now but god damn people drawing some bloody long bows right now. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, chookrat said:

In seriousness I don't see our problems having anything to do with Pert. We're simoly in poor form.

I'm happy the club has backed in Goodwin and the challenges the team is experiencing will make us better. Both Hardwick and Buckley coaches sides were underperforming and under enormous pressure but their coubs backes them in and Richmond wone a premiership while Collingwood played in one last year amd looking the goods 3 rounds in. 

Be patient fellow Demons. 

If I read one more quote for Melbourne supporters to be patient. This is not just about poor form the start to the season is an unmitigated disaster. These issues are bigger than the coach and as usual they are a reflection on the whole club. How the hell have we ended up with a goal to goal line which is close to the worst in the league. How have we burnt top draft pick to secure two injury prone defenders. Who is responsible for recruiting a defensive coach who game plan would not work in under 9. How can we come into a season so woefully under prepared. How is it we have one of the best mid fields in the league including the best ruckman yet are on the bottom of the ladder. What strategies are in place to assist Goodwin who is wearing all responsibilty. How can we have no outside leg speed when this deficiency has been obvious for years. Why do we have a president and chair who are completely invisible when the titanic is sinking. This is so much more than poor form it is completely indicative of what been happening since 1965. Successful club have a winning culture it is clear this place is utterly devoid of these principles. Whilst some club under perform it is not to the extent of this disaster. Sorry this has been served up for to long. Supporters were patient through the re build and have a right to expect better than what is being served up at present. The president and CEO need to get off their collective backsides and explain to members how we have arrived at this horror show. I was patient and optimistic with the Roos re build but believe somewhere somehow it gone off the rails. This is far more than just momentary form and I feel that five years of patience has been completely burnt.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Smokey said:

And what was the alternative to this really? Goodwin clearly has an excellent bong with the playing group and he has their respect. You honestly think sacking yet another coach would be a good move? 

 

Were all all hurting right now but god damn people drawing some bloody long bows right now. 

We're certainly playing like we've been on the bong.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Smokey said:

And what was the alternative to this really? Goodwin clearly has an excellent bong with the playing group and he has their respect. You honestly think sacking yet another coach would be a good move? 

 

Were all all hurting right now but god damn people drawing some bloody long bows right now. 

The alternative is blindingly obvious. You wait a little...proceed with a little caution. 

I shall repeat what I said earlier. You needn't have waited til season's end but maybe let the year start and see where it's going ( currently downhill out the backdoor at an alarming rate ). . There's nothing new or overly clever about such strategy. Just prudent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 58er said:

starting to doubt their depth and Club culture and game brand.

Just spat out my coffee, thanks for that !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, loges said:

We're certainly playing like we've been on the bong.

Haha what a typo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a genuine indictment on this club that fans can watch our players start the season so complacently and preach patience because "the players and coach are hurting too". That's the kind of rubbish we stood by for about a decade before we got serious under Jackson and Roos. I will be patient, happily, because most teams that make a deep finals run for the first time take a step back the next year. Teams figure them out and start paying more attention. But this start to the year isn't normal. This is far more than one step back. Three quotes stood out to me yesterday:

A.Brayshaw: "Unfortunately some of our players aren't buying in and coming back to help defend"

Lewis: "I think May would look back at the way he arrived at the club and wouldn't be happy with it"

Goodwin: "We're going to try and turn this around"

Would this kind of defeatist language have happened under Roos or Jackson? How could our recruiting team not realise that Steven May has dreadful standards before they signed him up on a high priced deal and, if there were concerns in his medical, why would they not have given him an off-season exercise plan? Brayshaw literally accused his teammates of downhill skiing after the game - does that symbolise a united playing group?

For all the fugazi about the boys loving Goody so much, why has the top-down consistency that Jackson established eroded so quickly? Why have our players forgotten how to play football? Why are they putting in so little effort that two senior players blasted them for it on the same day? Goodwin insisted after the Cats game that we are not underdone, so what's the excuse? Where the [censored] are our captains in all of this? 

I'm just not confident in the culture of this club at the moment, and I never once had that concern under PJ and Roos.

Edited by Pirlo
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still recall PJ’s strong comments on ‘inside Melbourne ‘ after we lost to Hawthorn. It was clear that he knew exactly that it was unacceptable and not what we stood for. We’ve heard nothing from Pert so far.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pirlo said:

It is a genuine indictment on this club that fans can watch our players start the season so complacently and preach patience because "the players and coach are hurting too". That's the kind of rubbish we stood by for about a decade before we got serious under Jackson and Roos. I will be patient, happily, because most teams that make a deep finals run for the first time take a step back the next year. Teams figure them out and start paying more attention. But this start to the year isn't normal. This is far more than one step back. Three quotes stood out to me yesterday:

A.Brayshaw: "Unfortunately some of our players aren't buying in and coming back to help defend"

Lewis: "I think May would look back at the way he arrived at the club and wouldn't be happy with it"

Goodwin: "We're going to try and turn this around"

Would this kind of defeatist language have happened under Roos or Jackson? How could our recruiting team not realise that Steven May has dreadful standards before they signed him up on a high priced deal and, if there were concerns in his medical, why would they not have given him an off-season exercise plan? Brayshaw literally accused his teammates of downhill skiing after the game - does that symbolise a united playing group?

For all the fugazi about the boys loving Goody so much, why has the top-down consistency that Jackson established eroded so quickly? Why have our players forgotten how to play football? Why are they putting in so little effort that two senior players blasted them for it on the same day? Goodwin insisted after the Cats game that we are not underdone, so what's the excuse? Where the [censored] are our captains in all of this? 

I'm just not confident in the culture of this club at the moment, and I never once had that concern under PJ and Roos.

Very eloquently put.

Wholeheartedly agree.

It all has a very shaky vibe and a bit of a pong about it now...does the MFC.

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deesprate said:

If I read one more quote for Melbourne supporters to be patient. This is not just about poor form the start to the season is an unmitigated disaster. These issues are bigger than the coach and as usual they are a reflection on the whole club. How the hell have we ended up with a goal to goal line which is close to the worst in the league. How have we burnt top draft pick to secure two injury prone defenders. Who is responsible for recruiting a defensive coach who game plan would not work in under 9. How can we come into a season so woefully under prepared. How is it we have one of the best mid fields in the league including the best ruckman yet are on the bottom of the ladder. What strategies are in place to assist Goodwin who is wearing all responsibilty. How can we have no outside leg speed when this deficiency has been obvious for years. Why do we have a president and chair who are completely invisible when the titanic is sinking. This is so much more than poor form it is completely indicative of what been happening since 1965. Successful club have a winning culture it is clear this place is utterly devoid of these principles. Whilst some club under perform it is not to the extent of this disaster. Sorry this has been served up for to long. Supporters were patient through the re build and have a right to expect better than what is being served up at present. The president and CEO need to get off their collective backsides and explain to members how we have arrived at this horror show. I was patient and optimistic with the Roos re build but believe somewhere somehow it gone off the rails. This is far more than just momentary form and I feel that five years of patience has been completely burnt.

This might be the best post ever written on Demonland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Deesprate said:

If I read one more quote for Melbourne supporters to be patient. This is not just about poor form the start to the season is an unmitigated disaster. These issues are bigger than the coach and as usual they are a reflection on the whole club. How the hell have we ended up with a goal to goal line which is close to the worst in the league. How have we burnt top draft pick to secure two injury prone defenders. Who is responsible for recruiting a defensive coach who game plan would not work in under 9. How can we come into a season so woefully under prepared. How is it we have one of the best mid fields in the league including the best ruckman yet are on the bottom of the ladder. What strategies are in place to assist Goodwin who is wearing all responsibilty. How can we have no outside leg speed when this deficiency has been obvious for years. Why do we have a president and chair who are completely invisible when the titanic is sinking. This is so much more than poor form it is completely indicative of what been happening since 1965. Successful club have a winning culture it is clear this place is utterly devoid of these principles. Whilst some club under perform it is not to the extent of this disaster. Sorry this has been served up for to long. Supporters were patient through the re build and have a right to expect better than what is being served up at present. The president and CEO need to get off their collective backsides and explain to members how we have arrived at this horror show. I was patient and optimistic with the Roos re build but believe somewhere somehow it gone off the rails. This is far more than just momentary form and I feel that five years of patience has been completely burnt.

Amen to that Brother...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe people think extending Goodwin's contract was a bad idea.

Imagine the media outcry if he was uncontracted and 0-3. 

The media would be baying for blood and the pressure immense.   They just love sticking the boots into mfc; any excuse will do. 

They would pressure the CEO not on when the contract would be renewed but if.  We would have the usual media circus waiting for the death knell comment:  He has the full support of the Board.  I've heard that far too many times at mfc this decade and tbh I never want to hear it again.  

Remember the instability caused by coaches being out of contract and uncertainty among players' current and prospective? 

No, I don't want my beloved club to go back to those dark, dark days.

I'm delighted Goodwin's contract was renewed.  At least he and the players can get to work to improve without worrying about his tenure.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Can't believe people think extending Goodwin's contract was a bad idea.

Imagine the media outcry if he was uncontracted and 0-3. 

The media would be baying for blood and the pressure immense.   They just love sticking the boots into mfc; any excuse will do. 

They would pressure the CEO not on when the contract would be renewed but if.  We would have the usual media circus waiting for the death knell comment:  He has the full support of the Board.  I've heard that far too many times at mfc this decade and tbh I never want to hear it again.  

Remember the instability caused by coaches being out of contract and uncertainty among players' current and prospective? 

No, I don't want my beloved club to go back to those dark, dark days.

I'm delighted Goodwin's contract was renewed.  At least he and the players can get to work to improve without worrying about his tenure.

A three year extension was too long. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Can't believe people think extending Goodwin's contract was a bad idea.

Imagine the media outcry if he was uncontracted and 0-3. 

The media would be baying for blood and the pressure immense.   They just love sticking the boots into mfc; any excuse will do. 

They would pressure the CEO not on when the contract would be renewed but if.  We would have the usual media circus waiting for the death knell comment:  He has the full support of the Board.  I've heard that far too many times at mfc this decade and tbh I never want to hear it again.  

Remember the instability caused by coaches being out of contract and uncertainty among players' current and prospective? 

No, I don't want my beloved club to go back to those dark, dark days.

I'm delighted Goodwin's contract was renewed.  At least he and the players can get to work to improve without worrying about his tenure.

Considering how ill prepared the Football Department is for the 2019 season Goodwin must have been stoked at the timing 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Can't believe people think extending Goodwin's contract was a bad idea.

Imagine the media outcry if he was uncontracted and 0-3. 

The media would be baying for blood and the pressure immense.   They just love sticking the boots into mfc; any excuse will do. 

They would pressure the CEO not on when the contract would be renewed but if.  We would have the usual media circus waiting for the death knell comment:  He has the full support of the Board.  I've heard that far too many times at mfc this decade and tbh I never want to hear it again.  

Remember the instability caused by coaches being out of contract and uncertainty among players' current and prospective? 

No, I don't want my beloved club to go back to those dark, dark days.

I'm delighted Goodwin's contract was renewed.  At least he and the players can get to work to improve without worrying about his tenure.

Uncontracted and 0-3 = work butt off.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I still recall PJ’s strong comments on ‘inside Melbourne ‘ after we lost to Hawthorn. It was clear that he knew exactly that it was unacceptable and not what we stood for. We’ve heard nothing from Pert so far.

Why do we need to?  He's the CEO, not the coach.  I'd rather him focus his energy on building our training facility than coming out and saying 'this is not acceptable'.  I'll leave that to Goodwin.

Also love how all the old men in the thread who have 'been suffering since 1965' are all banding together to pot the club.  Never change, fellas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, america de cali said:

Uncontracted and 0-3 = work butt off.

I find it disrespectful that you think Goodwin won't be working his butt off for the club, players and supporters even with the contract extension.  Pretty poor form there, even for you, adc.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I find it disrespectful that you think Goodwin won't be working his butt off for the club, players and supporters even with the contract extension.  Pretty poor form there, even for you, adc.

I change my mind when he makes the tough calls wiseguy. Like making some tough calls with your buddy ANB and Jones to name a couple and challenging the playing group. Now that’s  what I call doing the hard work.

Edited by america de cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, america de cali said:

I change my mind when he makes the tough calls wiseguy. Like making some tough calls with your buddy ANB and Jones to name a couple. Now that’s hard work.

Like I give a stuff if you change your mind.

Your views are disrespectful, full stop.  Enjoy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wiseblood said:

Like I give a stuff if you change your mind.

Your views are disrespectful, full stop.  Enjoy them.

Thanks wiseguy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I find it disrespectful that you think Goodwin won't be working his butt off for the club, players and supporters even with the contract extension.  Pretty poor form there, even for you, adc.

Strangely , or not, I took it with a little less umbrage. It would be human nature to bring a bit more urgency to the matter if you hadn't the extension already. I'm certainly not suggesting he's not working. I just think he working in the wrong direction. He has that largesse now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE TORRENS THUMPING by George on the Outer

    THE TORRENS THUMPING - LEAVING THE DEMONS BEHIND That headline might lead a reader to think that Melbourne had lost badly in Adelaide but no!  It was actually the MFC which left it’s demons from the previous week behind as it applied the blowtorch to the Crows in the final quarter of their match at the Adelaide Oval and went on their merry way to record a 51 point win before their biggest crowd of the year (even if they were mainly hostile). Much had been made in the media about t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STATE OF DEESASTER by the Oracle

    Melbourne’s circus caravan rolls into Adelaide on Wednesday night, an event that will put shivers up the spine of every Crows’ supporter as they look directly into the face of disaster. The flakey Demons left their home town a month ago and proceeded to rough up the Gold Coast Suns and Hawthorn in Sydney before moving on to the sunny Queensland where they missed by a bee’s diaphragm against the more or less local second-on-ladder Brisbane Lions. Then, they had to butter up against the top t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    OVERPOWERED by George on the Outer

    In a dismal display against Port Adelaide, Melbourne showed it had learnt nothing from their previous week’s loss to Brisbane. Port, in contrast, after losing to St.Kilda, addressed their failings, and as a result made the Demons look like a second-rate side.  Melbourne failed to score a goal in the first quarter, and the first time it seriously troubled the goal umpire was saved until a minute before half-time.  Did it get any better?  No with their meagre three goals for the sec

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DESPERATION OF THE MOMENT by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne’s recent win against Hawthorn highlighted how important Max Gawn’s ruck domination is for the team. A week later however, that domination continued but its effect was totally blunted by the Brisbane Lions midfield and, as a consequence, what could have been an easy win over a leading AFL contender turned into a disappointing but close loss and a sense of desperation now looms over the club as the halfway mark of the season approaches. This week’s opponent in Port Adelaide also und

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE FOUR POINT FAIL by George on the Outer

    Melbourne went down by 4 points in a thrilling finish against Brisbane, but they failed by more than the 4 points.     They also failed to score the 4 points necessary to keep them in the race for the finals, and now find themselves sitting 6 points outside the top 8, but effectively 2 games outside (even though they have a game in hand).   The Demons had more than enough opportunities to win.  Six very easy shots on goal failed to bother the goal umpire with a major and ultimate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER PART 2 by The Oracle

    The travelling COVID circus moves north of the border yet again and, unless at some time in the near future, Papua New Guinea opens its borders, this could be the last time this phenomenon happens. And as fortune would dictate, the resurgent Demons are walking directly into the sights of the locals from the bright lights of Brizvegas to Carrara - the scene of some long-forgotten (and deservedly so) battles with one of the Lions’ former incarnations, namely, the Brisbane Bears. But unli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ON THE NOSE by George on the Outer

    One of the Hawthorn Football Club’s valued sponsors is Azep® Nasal Spray and given the thrashing handed out to the Hawks in today’s game, it would appear that they need a huge supply of the sponsor’s product because they are simply on the nose. This condition was caused by the sheer dominance of the Demons, led magnificently by skipper Max Gawn with 27 hitouts and 22 disposals including two clearances. Around him in the middle were Christian Petracca with 29 touches, Clayton Oliver (also on

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE PREMIER LEAGUE by Whispering Jack

    So the new man under the pump is Clarko, which demonstrates how sad but predictable the football media is these days. In an age where each AFL team’s form can be topsy turvy and unpredictability is the order of the day, the coach of a team that has played five out of the top six teams from the previous season and sits with a 3/3 win loss record is this week’s whipping boy.   This comes admittedly on the back of a bad fortnight from the Hawks who in recent years have exhibited an enormous

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SUNSMART by George on the Outer

    If you don’t want to get sunburnt, you follow the Sunsmart rules.  Melbourne took the advice and with their season on the line, avoided getting burnt by the Gold Coast Suns, with a gripping 17 point win. It was a match that could have gone either way, with the sides within a kick of each other for all but the final minutes of the final quarter. Melbourne had stretched the lead earlier in the game to 18 points, but that quickly evaporated to a neck and neck race to the finish.  Finally,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NORTH OF THE BORDER by The Oracle

    The outcomes of Melbourne’s recent games against the Gold Coast Suns are a pretty good barometer of how the teams are faring. The Demons easily accounted for them twice in 2018, the last win being a 96-point cakewalk at the MCG in Round 20 when they scored a whopping 21.17.143 to 7.5.47. Ironically, Melbourne’s score of 9.3.57 at the first break that afternoon is leading its highest score for a full game to date this year by 3 points. In those days, they played fast, skillful football, moved th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 5

    PACK YOUR BAGS by George on The Outer

    The scene was captured by the TV camera’s before the match with a view of the Melbourne side’s bags packed next to the team bus to facilitate their flight up north to the AFL hub where they will play their next matches. However, on the basis of the efforts against Richmond, unless things change, and change rapidly, there will be some who will be told to pack their bags on a more permanent basis. Once again, the supporters got much the same story from this match against Richmond, as

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by the Oracle

    Thankfully they moved this week’s game from Sydney where the sun shines and the virus breeds ever so slowly and almost nobody returns a positive test. The change of fixture comes at precisely the right time to allow everyone in town to head to the MCG on Sunday at around 3:30pm, not to catch up with what’s going on inside the ground but rather, to do what’s fashionable for woke folk in 2020 — pulling down statues. It’s time for Kevin Bartlett and Leigh Matthews to go but you can’t touch Norm Smi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...