Round 16 Non - MFC Games

Lucifers Hero

Good lord! It’s hard to watch footy these days. 3 of the worse fifty metre penalties paid to Geelong late in the game had a massive impact in the outcome. 2 for infringes where the players were trying to exit the area and one where the players did not hear the whistle. What a disgrace the officiating is. 

And meanwhile, wtf has happened to Hannebery? Looks like a 50 yo out there!

• Like 5

The umpiring and the 50m penalties being handed out on a platter are just disgraceful, non sensical and ruining the game. The umpires appear clueless and handing out penalties contrary to common sense and fair play. 

Just disgraceful and a blight on the game. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Storm pulling away.

3 plays 1 on the ladder.

Hell... the Storm are consistent....wish we were

They`ve been a bit up n down this year but they`ll come good at the business end. Cam Smith is an absolute genius...hope he plays til he`s 40, I have a feeling they`ll crumble when he retires.

What a great match that was. Im an AFL tragic but it gives you a good indication of the state of our game when I`d rather watch Rugby League

That shakes things up.

If we'd won last week we could have leapfrogged Sydney with a win last week, potentially WC and may well have ended the round in 2nd. Highest we can end the round is 6th and equal on points with as low as 10th.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, praha said:

That shakes things up.

If we'd won last week we could have leapfrogged Sydney with a win last week, potentially WC and may well have ended the round in 2nd. Highest we can end the round is 6th and equal on points with as low as 10th.

Maybe the club can run a virtual ladder in change rooms- if we'd beaten Geelong and Syd we'd be...might be a bit demoralising but not as demoralising as r23-2017. And being an mfc supporter of course where every year is a virtual ladder year (coping mechanism)

Edited by timbo

9 minutes ago, timbo said:

Maybe the club can run a virtual ladder in change rooms- if we'd beaten Geelong and Syd we'd be...might be a bit demoralising but not as demoralising as r23-2017. And being an mfc supporter of course where every year is a virtual ladder year (coping mechanism)

I see your point, but my point is that at this point in the season we have to expect teams like Geelong to beat teams like Sydney. This only makes it tighter, and a win last week would have give us breathing room. Maybe referring to ladder position wasn't the best way to make my point, but I was just trying to highlight how costly losses like last week are. It's a carbon-copy of the North loss(es) last year.

21 minutes ago, Hell Bent said:

They`ve been a bit up n down this year but they`ll come good at the business end. Cam Smith is an absolute genius...hope he plays til he`s 40, I have a feeling they`ll crumble when he retires.

What a great match that was. Im an AFL tragic but it gives you a good indication of the state of our game when I`d rather watch Rugby League

that was a game out of the bag, full of brilliant trys

if anyone didn't see it, watch the "highlights" video on nrl.com

Edited by daisycutter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, praha said:

I see your point, but my point is that at this point in the season we have to expect teams like Geelong to beat teams like Sydney. This only makes it tighter, and a win last week would have give us breathing room. Maybe referring to ladder position wasn't the best way to make my point, but I was just trying to highlight how costly losses like last week are. It's a carbon-copy of the North loss(es) last year.

Totes agree

gallows humour on my behalf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clintosaurus said:

AFL will be happy with last night's result. Just not sure how they squeeze the drug cheats into the 8.

This repetitive shtick is getting tiresome mate.  If you genuinely believed that the comp is rigged, why the hell would you keep watching?

Watched parts of the game last night, quite a disgusting spectacle, even putting aside the ups paying multiple cheap frees to duck wood and ablett, the level of congestion and rugby style scrums made it awful to watch. Personally I blame terry Wallace ... that flooding tactic way back in 2000 started this all! 

1 hour ago, demonstone said:

This repetitive shtick is getting tiresome mate.  If you genuinely believed that the comp is rigged, why the hell would you keep watching?

My love of the MFC is enough to trump my belief the AFL engineers outcomes. 

1 hour ago, demonstone said:

I don't think you have to believe in a planned conspiracy to bribe the umpires to see 'rigging' in the AFL.  The umpires are human (yes, it's true) and pick up the AFL's vibe about TV revenue, favoured teams with large memberships etc and it is likely to affect them. We all know how susceptible they are to crowd noise in WA, so it would be foolish to think they are not susceptible to other influences.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sue said:

I don't think you have to believe in a planned conspiracy to bribe the umpires to see 'rigging' in the AFL.  The umpires are human (yes, it's true) and pick up the AFL's vibe about TV revenue, favoured teams with large memberships etc and it is likely to affect them. We all know how susceptible they are to crowd noise in WA, so it would be foolish to think they are not susceptible to other influences.

And that is pretty much my view. It's not like the Serie A where blatant match fixing occurred, but subtle influences that still have quite an impact when accumulated.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DubDee said:

And meanwhile, wtf has happened to Hannebery? Looks like a 50 yo out there!

Rampe stated in an article during the week that the Swans “ Walk Taller” with him in the side. 

In that slugfest last night his tackle count was 0 and struggled big time to get to contests. Injuries could be the major reason for his decline and if it’s true that we are interested in him, that’s a major gamble by us imo.

I actually saw, in last night's game, a contest where four players, two from each side went up in a marking contest, and a good young player by the name of TIm Mc Cartin took a great mark and i think he kicked a goal.

The thing that attracted my attention most, was that i think they all tried to mark, not one player in that contest tried to spoil. Wasn't that lovely and did anyone else notice?

17 hours ago, hemingway said:

The umpiring and the 50m penalties being handed out on a platter are just disgraceful, non sensical and ruining the game. The umpires appear clueless and handing out penalties contrary to common sense and fair play. 

Just disgraceful and a blight on the game. 

And there you have one of the major reasons why so many people don't love their footy as much as they used to and so many former players refuse to watch the game anymore.

I now find myself watching our games and barely a few minutes of a couple of other games each week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Redleg said:

And there you have one of the major reasons why so many people don't love their footy as much as they used to and so many former players refuse to watch the game anymore.

I now find myself watching our games and barely a few minutes of a couple of other games each week.

I only watch Dees games. No intetest in other games but  not because of umpiring. The game is just full of scrums and with all players constantly at one end of the ground. It is just unattractive. 

• Like 1

Just now, Redleg said:

Being old and sad, I still watch whatever free to air games are on and I can tell you that you are only missing more examples of umpiring that cause me to tear out my few remaining hairs.  And the game gets uglier week by week.  I won't comment on the commentators......

• Like 2

Who do we hope wins out of Essendon and Collingwood (in the hopeful event we win):

Do we want Essendon to win and therefore only be a game and a better percentage behind Collingwood? With the knowledge that Collingwood have a quite difficult draw with lots of injuries?

Or do we want Collingwood to win and virtually put Essendon out of business, and therefore one less side to worry about taking our spot.

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Who do we hope wins out of Essendon and Collingwood (in the hopeful event we win):

Do we want Essendon to win and therefore only be a game and a better percentage behind Collingwood? With the knowledge that Collingwood have a quite difficult draw with lots of injuries?

Or do we want Collingwood to win and virtually put Essendon out of business, and therefore one less side to worry about taking our spot.

[censored] Essendrug to a life of continuous pain and worthlessness

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

I expect the tigs to get the job done tonight.  Will the crows players be ok when the tigers theme song plays, or will they have flashbacks from the camp?

Tigers should win tonight and if they do, they will tie the record for most consecutive wins at the MCG. Damn shame, that’s our record.