GAMEDAY - Round 23

Whispering_Jack

There's a sense of history about today - much like it was with the final round of 1987 when many of us travelled to Footscray and watched Melbourne's famous victory. Back then, we depended on Hawthorn to beat Geelong and Jason Dunstall's late goal saw us in into the finals. We went all the way to the preliminary final and the Jim Stynes 15 metre penalty that deprived us of a grand final appearance.

This time, it's clear - we depend on no one - it's up to us.

Let's do it!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Can't wait for this match. This hopefully will be our first belting which gives us the confidence to go deep into finals. Jones, Watts and Petracca to be best in ground. Hogan to kick 4 with Jeffy with 3. 

5 minutes ago, fndee said:

So we are up against a team with who have nothing to play for and are missing 8 from their best side. We are playing for finals, are on our home patch and are close to full strength. Anyone else [censored] scared?

It's hard not to buy into the last 9 years (excluding 2017's body of work) as evidence that we will somehow fall short - this is Goodwin coaching, this is the 2017 players group - not Bailey, Neeld, etc etc. We don't have Dawes, Gysberts, Nicholson, McKenzie, Bail . It's a competent coach, its a competent playing group. Dare I say it -  Relax, we've got this. 

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

There's a sense of history about today - much like it was with the final round of 1987 when many of us travelled to Footscray and watched Melbourne's famous victory. Back then, we depended on Hawthorn to beat Geelong and Jason Dunstall's late goal saw us in into the finals. We went all the way to the preliminary final and the Jim Stynes 15 metre penalty that deprived us of a grand final appearance.

Let's do it!

I was there that day as 9 yo Jack.  Still one of my favorite footy memories and pretty hard to beat from that perspective.  

What great day of drama.

Standing up the back of the hill, up against the corrugated iron fence at the back of the Western Oval.  The Demons mascot running round pre game with the Flower Power sign on his back, for what I was told by my father to expect was probably the late great Robbie's last game.  The come back, people listening to their radios and then the second round of roars and cheers when the results of the other games fell our ways.  In all honesty, I don't actually remember that much of the actual game, but the rest will stick with me forever.  The elation of my fellow Melbourne supporters that day, was something I have only seen surpassed after we smashed Carlton out at Waverley a year later to make the GF.

I don't think I'll ever be able to truly match those moments again until we finally win a flag in my lifetime, but should we win today and make finals after such a long and painful 11 years, it will certainly be a real smell the roses moment.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

The media say Queens Birthday is our final. I love the irony that playing Collingwood this time actually IS our final. Leave nothing to chance. We have our best team on the park for the year. We are playing two thirds a team with nothing to play for but pride. Hit them hard and storm them early and there will be no comebacks. Leave them in the game and the longer it goes on watch us panic.  Lose this one and we don't deserve to be there in September. 

If we are the team I think we now are. Dee's by 40.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Whispering_Jack said:

Let's do it!

In 1987 I was 5 - my dad and I weren't at the western oval as it was my sister's 3rd birthday party that day. We kept going to the study to listen to the game on the radio and when the Demons got up and made finals everyone was ecstatic even my Collingwood supporting uncles.

Today I'm not sure I'll be there - it's my son's 2nd birthday party at an indoor play centre in Keilor Park and it finishes at 1 so I may make the second half. I'm hoping history repeats.

• Like 1

I'm glad the crows rested some stars and we know now. There should be no doubt in any players mind that we have no fall back position. Win we are in. Lose we are out. Keep that mentality and we will win

• Like 2

The magpie in the gum tree out the front was warbling at 4:30 this morning .......... taunting me.  But he's silent now!  

• Like 2
  • Haha 6