GAMEDAY - Round 14

deanox

Was trying to do some research on the size of the betting pool to understand what it took to move odds but couldn't find anyhting on point.

I did however come across some 2015 research by Roy Morgan that contained some fascinating info including the following:

"Not surprisingly, people who support an AFL team are more than twice as likely as the average Australian to bet on the sport, with 5.0% having at least one flutter on a match in the 12 months to March 2015. But that’s nothing compared to paid-up members of AFL clubs, 13.4% of whom bet on AFL — suggesting that the stronger a supporter’s involvement, the higher the likelihood of betting on matches

Of the League’s 18 teams, Melbourne Demons supporters are the most likely to take a punt on AFL (10.1% doing so in an average 12 months), ahead of North Melbourne Kangaroos (8.4%) and Fremantle Dockers supporters (7.9%)."

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6348-betting-on-afl-supporters-game-201507212321

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Like 1

Should have won this one last year with a far less developed & settled list. I remember the umps went coast-to-coast on us in the last quarter - physically trying to blow the ball over their goal line with a whistle - remarkable.

Smash them tonight you good things.

• Like 1

Maybe it's because I haven't seen us beat Meth Coast at Subi in 19 years (I was holidaying in Europe in 2002 win) that has me going tonight not confident of seeing us win. Watts and Jones out hurts us but good teams find a way. If we turn it into a scrap we win because we're harder than them. We must bring that pressure game from the get go to have a chance

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Was trying to do some research on the size of the betting pool to understand what it took to move odds but couldn't find anyhting on point.

I did however come across some 2015 research by Roy Morgan that contained some fascinating info including the following:

"Not surprisingly, people who support an AFL team are more than twice as likely as the average Australian to bet on the sport, with 5.0% having at least one flutter on a match in the 12 months to March 2015. But that’s nothing compared to paid-up members of AFL clubs, 13.4% of whom bet on AFL — suggesting that the stronger a supporter’s involvement, the higher the likelihood of betting on matches

Of the League’s 18 teams, Melbourne Demons supporters are the most likely to take a punt on AFL (10.1% doing so in an average 12 months), ahead of North Melbourne Kangaroos (8.4%) and Fremantle Dockers supporters (7.9%)."

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/6348-betting-on-afl-supporters-game-201507212321

We had to have some sort of interest during the down years... Back us at the usual 60+ line & barrack for that, knowing we wouldn't get near a win

Edited by JV7

27 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Of the League’s 18 teams, Melbourne Demons supporters are the most likely to take a punt on AFL

Back in the dark ages we could see exactly how bad we were. Sure bet we were going to lose.

not today, however. Dees by 4 goals.

20 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I'm heading to the game. If Darling flops around and plays for frees and is payed them, I will contemplate running onto the ground and throwing up on him. 

Great. You're on!

We wil miss Wattsy's accuarate kicking / sense of occasion and Jonesys prescence leadership and sense of occasion . 

We need to take up the slack and get goals from Cam and Gawn as well as the usual goalkickers . 

Take the umpires out of the equation with a nice 16 point buffer 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

And to think that they wasted a Nobel prize on that stuff that Bob Dylan wrote when it should have been yours Ethan.

Come gather 'round Demons
Wherever you roam
And admit that the Eagles
Around you are stoned
And accept it that soon
You'll be flying back home.
If your season to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better keep winnin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 6

Jones out is a massive loss, bigger than Hogan and possibly Gawn.

The Eagles aren't great but play above themselves at home.

I'm not holding my breath that Gawn will have a huge impact first up, I'm tipping he spends a lot of time up forward. 

We just must capitalise on our current ladder position, no getting complacent now.

If we win it will be one for the ages.

• Like 2

dees easily.. i hate to say that. but believe that we should go in confident against most teams. they ain't playing great. i reckon this we're gonna continue our run & be entrenched in the 4 by the end of the weekend. 

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I'm heading to the game. If Darling flops around and plays for frees and is payed them, I will contemplate running onto the ground and throwing up on him. 

Image result for power spew   like this, Ethan?

• Like 3

Dees by 61 points 

Bernie vince best on ground playing mostly in the middle to cover chunk 

gawn dominating the hit outs and pedo to kick 4 goals. I think it'll be a midfield battle and gawn gives us an edge. 

Beating the eagles in Perth without jones, watts and hogan clearly stamps our status as premiership threat 

Edited by Abe

+4.5 line now into 1.80 on UBet. Still $2.05 head to head but must be a big out for the Eagles. Have heard Priddis might not front.

5 minutes ago, Abe said:

Dees by 61 points 

Bernie vince best on ground playing mostly in the middle to cover chunk 

gawn dominating the hit outs and pedo to kick 4 goals. I think it'll be a midfield battle and gawn gives us an edge. 

Beating the eagles in Perth without jones, watts and hogan clearly stamps our status as premiership threat 

Is that all?

1 minute ago, Deeoldfart said:

Is that all?

I genuinely think we could win this game by a truck load if we bring the pressure we did last week. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Clint Bizkit said:

We really should tag Mitchell.

Yep, wouldn't mind seeing Bernie do that job and melksham follow yeo around 

• Like 2

WCE at home is no easy feat, infront of their nutbag crowd and on their unique sized oval.

I personally think we might cop a 30-40 point smacking, and wake some of our group up that finals isn't a lock yet.

Hopefully I am wrong, because a win over there without 2 of of our top 5 players is a HUGE statement.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GawnWithTheWind said:

I personally think we might cop a 30-40 point smacking, and wake some of our group up that finals isn't a lock yet.

Nothing like a bit of optimism!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brendan said:

$1.89 eagles dees $1.95 something is going on that's a big turn around 

i got on at $2.51 and my cash out option is already more than I put on

Equal favourites now on Luxbet. $1.92 each of two.